Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

TwoPair posted:

Same difference, right?

She's actually a good character in that comic, so no. And her relationship with Pym there was pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, Giant-girl is like if the Wasp didn't suck.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Wasp is fantastic even with all her baggage and lovely treatment you take that loving back

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I read the entire 40 years of Avengers DVD, and the main takeaway of the Avengers' entire history is that the Wasp is the worst.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wasp was pretty great in EMH, but so was everyone else too.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

I remember a part in Superior Spiderman with DP ripping on Doc Ock in front of Doc Ock/Spiderman.

Also the whole GN that those panels came from was great for DP and spiderman.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Hakkesshu posted:

I managed to track down a few scans! From Valhalla vol. 3. Note, this was published in 1982.

Odin is wandering around the wilderness of Midgard searching for warriors to defend Asgard. He's getting more and more dismayed by the idiots he's found so far, but then:

Raven: Look! Over there!
Odin: Yeah... probably someone fighting.

Raven: But this guy is really good!
Odin: Yeah, it always starts out like that.

Raven: But - aren't you going to try and recruit him?
Odin: Why? There's no point...

Raven: Oh, come on...

Odin: Alright, fine.

Odin: Nicely done, young man, I'm guessing you are a Christian? (note: This is referring to a previous "client")

Warrior: No...?
Odin: Oh, so you're probably on your way home to your wife...

Warrior: No, I'm not married.
Odin: Reeeeaaally... do you live nearby?

Warrior: We've made camp over there by the bushes.
Odin: WE? :haw:

Odin: If you have friends nearby, why not call for help?
Warrior: Why? There were only six of them.

Odin: I guess your friends aren't quite like you...

Warrior: Nah...

Warrior: They're a pretty rough couple.

Odin: Really? How many are you? :wiggle:
Warrior: Three.

Warrior: I am Fander...

That's Hogur over there...

And that's Voldsdag. We call him 'nutty' (note: Voldsdag, the way it's spelled here, literally means "violence day")

Odin: And I am... ODIN - KING OF THE GODS

Fander: Oh.
Voldsdag: I see.
Hogur: Well, hail to you, then :effort:

Odin: I offer you all a place by my side in the hall of Einherjar - follow me to Valhalla!

Fander: Well... I was on my way home, but what do you guys think?

Voldsdag: Valhalla? Well, we've never been there.

Hogur: What about Byzantium? We've never been there either.

You know we'll end up in Asgard sooner or later.
Odin: B-but... it's a great honor for you...

Fander: That's true, but on the other hand we HAVE never been to Byzantium.

Odin: THAT'S ENOUGH. I am the god of death, so you're going to come along whether you want to or not!

MOVE IT.
Hogur: Well, if you put it like that...

And so, Odin returned with his warriors three.

Later

Odin: Giants on Iðavöllr, never before has the enemy been so close to our gates!
Hogur: Yeah... what do you want us to do about it?

Odin: GET THEM.

Hugin and Munin, fetch my wolves.

(I think you get the gist of the rest)

Warrior 1: Well now I want to join!
Warrior 2: Wait! Whose side are we on?
Warrior 3: Who cares! Giants are giants and giants need their asses kicked!

Looks like some fans translated them into English.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

apsouthern posted:

Well I'd watch it...

Uncanny Avengers Annual #1

"We'll put it on the ION Network on Earth."

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I read the entire 40 years of Avengers DVD, and the main takeaway of the Avengers' entire history is that the Wasp is the worst.

The siege of the mansion is one of the best Avengers stories, and Wasp is the lead character in it. The whole Stern run did a lot for her character. That's when I started reading Avengers so she's that character to me, not the ditzy early Wasp or boring Bendis Wasp.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Looks like some fans translated them into English.

The disconnect between Odin saying he doesn't want disobedient people in Asgard and then being a big fan of Thor is baffling

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Seldom Posts posted:

The siege of the mansion is one of the best Avengers stories, and Wasp is the lead character in it. The whole Stern run did a lot for her character. That's when I started reading Avengers so she's that character to me, not the ditzy early Wasp or boring Bendis Wasp.

I felt really bad for her during that storyline, because it was like the Avengers fell apart while she was in charge. (Hercules was being such a prick about taking orders from a woman. :() But she did come out of it a lot better. And I think Busiek was also good at making Jan a good leader.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

willus posted:

The disconnect between Odin saying he doesn't want disobedient people in Asgard and then being a big fan of Thor is baffling

People who are not completely consistent:
  • Norse gods in general (exceptions: Tyr, Balder)
  • Odin in particular

:D

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

willus posted:

If I remember my Valhalla correctly, Vahalla!Thor comes across as much more respectful of his fathers authority than Marvel!Thor. Doesn't mean they don't still butt heads, but I don't remember him ignoring Odin's wishes outright.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I felt really bad for her during that storyline, because it was like the Avengers fell apart while she was in charge. (Hercules was being such a prick about taking orders from a woman. :() But she did come out of it a lot better. And I think Busiek was also good at making Jan a good leader.

Wasp (and Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel) both led the Avengers when Roger Stern was writing it as well.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Secret Avengers #9 had me snorting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tenniseveryone posted:

Secret Avengers #9 had me snorting.

So I should be reading Secret Avengers is what you are saying.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Hakkesshu posted:

Based on comics, too! It's too bad they're not available in English because I bet everyone here would love them. They're like Norse mythology as seen through the eyes of Carl Barks or something to that effect. One of the first volumes even has a cameo from The Warriors Three.

And others:

Reading the Swedish translation of the Utgarda-Loki story in that comic as a kid is what made me interested in mythology in the first place. It's a really good comic.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Rhyno posted:

So I should be reading Secret Avengers is what you are saying.

It's stopped trying to be edgy, and in doing so has become a pretty cool insane spy-off between MODOK and Hill. And I'm really hoping the whole Mockingbird joining up with Daisy Johnson thing comes back.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Kainser posted:

Reading the Swedish translation of the Utgarda-Loki story in that comic as a kid is what made me interested in mythology in the first place. It's a really good comic.

Yeah, it is. I love this page of Thor and the "cat".

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Anora posted:

I remember a part in Superior Spiderman with DP ripping on Doc Ock in front of Doc Ock/Spiderman.

Also the whole GN that those panels came from was great for DP and spiderman.

The one thing I remember from that one was Taskmaster feeling like poo poo since he was hired alongside Lady Stilt Man and Paste Pot Pete.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, Harley Quinn's cast of characters just got weirder. Meet Edgar Fullerton Yeung.

Harley Quinn Annual #1

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

We've already met.

Wonder Woman #157

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, Harley Quinn's cast of characters just got weirder. Meet Edgar Fullerton Yeung.

Harley Quinn Annual #1
Yes, I wonder whose son Ed Fu Yeung could possibly be.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Harley Quinn Annual #1

That just seems like a string of random monkey cheese with no hope of payoff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cassa posted:

Sadly, I know about 80% of it is actually from the comics. My brain should not be used to store this kind of information.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Most of it was canon at one point or another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_Fu

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cassa posted:

You are sadry mistaken! heee-ho!

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ghostlight posted:

We've already met.

Wonder Woman #157

Oh yeah, I know. And from 52. Just the idea of a lonely, depressed version of Egg Fu Young tickles me for unexplained reasons.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, I wonder whose son Ed Fu Yeung could possibly be.

I'm gonna guess Hawkgirl.

It turns out Thanagarians are like jellyfish and have two distinct life stages. Egg Fu is his grandfather.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I'm gonna guess Hawkgirl.

It turns out Thanagarians are like jellyfish and have two distinct life stages. Egg Fu is his grandfather.

Aww man, now I want to see an alien superhero who has 10 years to get all his superheroing in before he evolves to his adult form. A regular old human.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
How can an egg have children?

HOW CAN AN EGG HAVE CHILDREN?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Test-tube baby, obviously.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Most of it was canon at one point or another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_Fu

It's still pretty weird that someone, anyone came up with Egg Fu as a character.

Racist stereotype egg with mustache whips sounds like a poorly written mad-lib.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cangelosi posted:

How can an egg have children?

HOW CAN AN EGG HAVE CHILDREN?

He was fertilized, duh.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

Aww man, now I want to see an alien superhero who has 10 years to get all his superheroing in before he evolves to his adult form. A regular old human.

A METAPHOR FOR TEENAGERHOOD

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

It's still pretty weird that someone, anyone came up with Egg Fu as a character.

Racist stereotype egg with mustache whips sounds like a poorly written mad-lib.

Forget about it, Jake. It's the Silver Age.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I love the belt buckle on his hoverchair.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FMguru posted:

The word "laconic" (meaning terse, dry, sharp) is literally taken from Sparta's location (the region of Laconia).
The word Attic also comes from Athen's location Attica, because that's where they put the wifes since Athens was kind of hosed up with their treatment of women which is kind of ironic given that they worshiped a strong and wise war goddess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

achillesforever6 posted:

The word Attic also comes from Athen's location Attica, because that's where they put the wifes since Athens was kind of hosed up with their treatment of women which is kind of ironic given that they worshiped a strong and wise war goddess.

A strong and wise and unmarried virgin War Goddess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

achillesforever6 posted:

Genuinely curious, what did Athens do?

• Locked thread