Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Superstring posted:

Genuinely curious, what did Athens do?

Women could not:

-reveal too much skin outside the household, unless they were a prostitute
-make business transactions beyond a certain (low) value without their (father's/husband's) approval

besides the more important underlying cultural things that maintain today, such as being told through all forms of media and entertainment that they're inferior/held to stricter standards, being bought and sold as objects, etc.

It's important to note that Athena is not considered as a woman in anything but form since she came out of Zeus's head rather than any mother's womb--Zeus made her to prove a point that pregnancy (women's only real role in Athenian society) was a flawed and unnecessary business. "Wisdom" is also a little general regarding her domain; a lot of times in the myths and plays it's closer to logical reasoning and law-knowledge--then and now, seen as male-centered things, as were craft-skills such as carpentry and metalworking, also within her sphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Mega Man 41: Top Man is thoroughly disappointed in Mega Man's approach to playing a Mega Man game running through his stage.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Athena's able to transcend gender roles to a degree because she has inordinate power as the divine creation and favoured child of Zeus, but yeah, every story featuring Athena tends also to feature a host of mortal women being raped, ignored and taken as prizes, sometimes by the heroes of the story. Even among gods, Athena is an exception: Aphrodite gets the short end of the stick in more than one myth.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So basically, Athena was the super-special virgin waifu of Athens, while Hera was the feminist harridan always harshin' on Zeus's buzz.

The more things change, the more they stay the same :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Olympus posted:

Women could not:

-reveal too much skin outside the household, unless they were a prostitute
-make business transactions beyond a certain (low) value without their (father's/husband's) approval

besides the more important underlying cultural things that maintain today, such as being told through all forms of media and entertainment that they're inferior/held to stricter standards, being bought and sold as objects, etc.

It's important to note that Athena is not considered as a woman in anything but form since she came out of Zeus's head rather than any mother's womb--Zeus made her to prove a point that pregnancy (women's only real role in Athenian society) was a flawed and unnecessary business. "Wisdom" is also a little general regarding her domain; a lot of times in the myths and plays it's closer to logical reasoning and law-knowledge--then and now, seen as male-centered things, as were craft-skills such as carpentry and metalworking, also within her sphere.

Unless you dared to be a better weaver than her. If that is the case then monster for you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

It's still pretty weird that someone, anyone came up with Egg Fu as a character.

Racist stereotype egg with mustache whips sounds like a poorly written mad-lib.

I can almost guarantee that the script was knocked out at a Chinese restaurant two days before the deadline.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Random Stranger posted:

I can almost guarantee that the script was knocked out at a Chinese restaurant two days before the deadline.

This General Gau sucks. I will show them. :argh:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TwoPair posted:

Mega Man 41: Top Man is thoroughly disappointed in Mega Man's approach to playing a Mega Man game running through his stage.

My only disappointment is that Megaman didn't take damage to save time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

My only disappointment is that Megaman didn't take damage to save time.

Fifth panel should show Megaman clipping into the wall and suddenly appearing in front of Top Man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cangelosi posted:

How can an egg have children?

HOW CAN AN EGG HAVE CHILDREN?

By having sex with a chicken.

Now which one came first? That I can't answer.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Gavok posted:

By having sex with a chicken.

Now which one came first? That I can't answer.

This is the best worst post.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tarezax posted:

So basically, Athena was the super-special virgin waifu of Athens, while Hera was the feminist harridan always harshin' on Zeus's buzz.

Calling Hera a feminist is a bit generous, seeing as she went out of her way on several occasions to punish, torture, or outright kill women who were physically unable to resist her husband's philandering (evidently it was a ~rule~ that if a god or goddess wanted to gently caress you you couldn't say no), and do her best to try and kill the demigod offspring.

And Athena wasn't a waifu so much as Athenian men had another kind of 'weakness' and there wasn't a barely-pubescent boy god to worship.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 1, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You mean other than Eros, the god of sexual desire, who was depicted both as a man who inflamed lusts by the prick of his arrow, and as a blindfolded boy of innocence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which was the one who turned a women into Medusa as a punishment for being raped by Poseidon in her temple?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Metal Loaf posted:

Which was the one who turned a women into Medusa as a punishment for being raped by Poseidon in her temple?

Athena.

Which makes sense when you think about who she was the main god for.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Metal Loaf posted:

There's two stories: for punhisment and for protection. Greek gods are p. variable from city to city.

The problem is the most known stories are from one of the most sexist city.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Numero6 posted:

There's two stories: for punhisment and for protection. Greek gods are p. variable from city to city.

The problem is the most known stories are from one of the most sexist city.

There's another where Aphrodite did it. Medusa bragged that she was prettier than the Goddess of Sex herself, so Aphrodite turned her into a horrid monster no-one could ever look directly at again.

Or as another example of variation: on the isle of Rhodes, Athena was not a virgin goddess, but the wife of their patron Helios (God of the Sun) and mother of their mythic kings and heros. She was also said by them to have been a minor goddess until her husband ordered humans to worship her.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 1, 2014

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Calling Hera a feminist is a bit generous, seeing as she went out of her way on several occasions to punish, torture, or outright kill women who were physically unable to resist her husband's philandering (evidently it was a ~rule~ that if a god or goddess wanted to gently caress you you couldn't say no), and do her best to try and kill the demigod offspring.

And Athena wasn't a waifu so much as Athenian men had another kind of 'weakness' and there wasn't a barely-pubescent boy god to worship.

As long as this divergence is ongoing, I figured I'd point the way to my favorite analysis of Athena versus Ares, from Cryptonomicon: http://markpasc.org/blog/gems/athena.html

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Random Stranger posted:

Unused, but also created in tht session were General Tso, leader of the ghost army and the absurdist, almost protoMorrison character Parties of Six or More Will Have a Fifteen Percent Gratuity Added to Their Bill.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Olympus posted:

I thought Zeus had sex with Athena's mother, then ate her so she wouldn't give birth, and then Athena came out of his head after a huge headache.

Then again, I'm sure there are multiple versions of every story. :shrug:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cangelosi posted:

How can an egg have children?

HOW CAN AN EGG HAVE CHILDREN?

Hopefully not like MODOKS can.

:barf:
Nextwave #12

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Red Lanterns #10.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Say Nothing posted:

Red Lanterns #10.

That's strange. The Midnighter isn't usually known for pounding p-- You know what? I'm better than this joke. Never mind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think everyone's already made that joke too

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When did cats start getting Red Rings :psyduck:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Like at least 7 years ago you're late to the party.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It makes perfect sense, too. What's the angriest thing on Earth?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Tea Partiers?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

My rear end when I eat spicy food?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

bunnyofdoom posted:

My rear end when I eat spicy food?

Bunnyofdoom of Earth, you have great rage in your butt. Welcome to the Brown Lantern Corps.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Strontosaurus posted:

Bunnyofdoom of Earth, you have great rage in your butt. Welcome to the Brown Lantern Corps.

There is precedent

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tarezax posted:

actually it's about ethics in Olympian journalism

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Say Nothing posted:

Red Lanterns #10.

To interrupt the poop chat can I ask the nerdy question of how a regular dude is able to punch out a Lantern? Now that I think about it I guess that's also what happened with the famous Batman punch to Guy, but I thought the rings inherently protected the wearers against nuisance damage like human punches.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

To interrupt the poop chat can I ask the nerdy question of how a regular dude is able to punch out a Lantern? Now that I think about it I guess that's also what happened with the famous Batman punch to Guy, but I thought the rings inherently protected the wearers against nuisance damage like human punches.

Guy Gardner specifically removed his ring beforehand in that case because he wanted to take Batman on mano-a-mano.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Midnighter is very good at punching.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Say Nothing posted:

Red Lanterns #10.

I like his spike beard, when he takes his mask off does he have a little pointy beard on his chin that the spike's like armor for?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

mind the walrus posted:

Like at least 7 years ago you're late to the party.

He was the first Red Lantern in uniform besides Atrocitus on the cover.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You might also notice he wears his ring on his tail. So cute. Did he have any adventures with Red Lantern Guy Gardner?

Dex-starr's backstory is actually very sad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wait was Dex-starr an Earth cat or not? I remember reading that he was an Earth cat but then why the gently caress is he blue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

mind the walrus posted:

Wait was Dex-starr an Earth cat or not? I remember reading that he was an Earth cat but then why the gently caress is he blue?

Why the gently caress is he a hellmonster who pukes up his own horrible acidic blood? The ring, my friend.

• Locked thread