Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The MSJ posted:

You might also notice he wears his ring on his tail. So cute. Did he have any adventures with Red Lantern Guy Gardner?

Dex-starr's backstory is actually very sad.

Nah. Dex-Starr was on Atrocitus' side during the whole deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Wait was Dex-starr an Earth cat or not? I remember reading that he was an Earth cat but then why the gently caress is he blue?

You often shade blacks and greys as blueish in comics. Midnighter's probably meant to be wearing black there, but look, blue.

Either that, or grey cats of certain types can often have an almost blue-ish sheen to them.

But yeah he was drawn blue as a normal cat Dexter:

She gets murdered during a robbery, the police kick the cat out of the apartment and then some deplorable young ruffians find him in an alley and stuff him in a bag and toss him off a bridge for fun just as the Red Ring is looking for the angriest living thing in New York to attach to. A now intelligent Dexter swears vengeance against whoever killed his owner plus the world in general.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 2, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So he's... cat punisher?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

So he's... cat punisher?

no because dexstarr wants to kill EVERYTHING.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So, Ultimate-universe Punisher?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I love Dexstarr. He deserves his own series. Every cat owner with an actually loving cat feels like their cat would do that for them.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Knormal posted:

I like his spike beard, when he takes his mask off does he have a little pointy beard on his chin that the spike's like armor for?

Stormwatch #12

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I love Dexstarr. He deserves his own series. Every cat owner with an actually loving cat feels like their cat would do that for them.

New Leaf posted:

an actually loving cat

does not compute

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TwoPair posted:

does not compute

They exist, so I'm told and see on cat-dens like YouTube and reddit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Strontosaurus posted:

Stormwatch #12

Honestly with the amount of leverage and force you'd need to penetrate anyone with that spike you're better off trying to bite them or headbutt them.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

Calaveron posted:

Honestly with the amount of leverage and force you'd need to penetrate anyone with that spike you're better off trying to bite them or headbutt them.

Midnighter is very well-trained in moving his head up and down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MikeJF posted:

You often shade blacks and greys as blueish in comics. Midnighter's probably meant to be wearing black there, but look, blue.

I read something (I think it was by Frank Miller) a couple of years ago that talked about why there's a lot of blue colored stuff in comics. It was basically because comics were frequently printed as cheaply as possible and if you tried to have a bunch of stuff colored in black it would basically become an unreadable mess. So instead the colorists used darkish blue and it just became tradition.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bastard posted:

"Bolivia. My right thumb broken, my left with two bullets in it and a slit across the webbing.

I lost 15 cups of blood and even I wasn't healing fast enough.

The one with the mohawk was going to slit my throat.

And he would have...

'So do you want me to not slit your throat? Indicate 'yes' if you want me to not slit your throat."

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Mega Man 41: Top Man is thoroughly disappointed in Mega Man's approach to playing a Mega Man game running through his stage.

I want to see the Mega Man bosses reacting to how the Let's Race thread went through their levels.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SilverSupernova posted:

I want to see the Mega Man bosses reacting to how the Let's Race thread went through their levels.

What the hell is going on here?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Zereth posted:

The tool doesn't so much pull Megaman up as it does reverse the gravity effect. Because he got pushed off-screen by the scrolling section, the effect doesn't get switched back and off we go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Vkzm2-hcY

As soon as you unequip the Wire the effect ends.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 2, 2014

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Bastard posted:

Because of his awesome taste in music, right? :rock:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AkumaHokoru posted:

no because dexstarr wants to kill EVERYTHING.

Soo... he's a cat?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The Lone Badger posted:

Soo... he's a cat?

Also known as "nature's bastard".

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Zereth posted:

Mega Man had to go. His planet needed him.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SynthOrange posted:

So he's... cat punisher?

In his own words: "I is good kitty."

edit: But Red Lantern kitty still has nothing on Black Lantern Fridge.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Black Lantern Fridge.

"We are the Lanterns shufflin' crew! Shufflin' on down! Doin' it for you!"

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Soo... he's a cat?

correct. everyone knows cats want to kill everything...the only reason they dont kill their owners is because they think those are their servants.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

edit: But Red Lantern kitty still has nothing on Black Lantern Fridge.

I had to look this up to believe that it was real... What the crap?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Because DC has been a vile force of Evil since for like a decade now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah DC effectively died with the publication of Identity Crisis.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You guys are not kidding. I would have like it better if it was literally a sentient fridge Black Lantern, because the fridge has become a symbol of death in comics.

From Blackest Night, obviously. Not sure which issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's from one of the GLC crossover issues.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So does that mean the fridge was dead too? They killed his girlfriend and his fridge? That's just going too far.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You just know whoever came up with that thought they were the cleverest little boy in class that day, since well before Blackest Night the whole "women in fridges" was a meme on the internet comics circuit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

You just know whoever came up with that thought they were the cleverest little boy in class that day, since well before Blackest Night the whole "women in fridges" was a meme on the internet comics circuit.

Thanks Gail Simone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

mind the walrus posted:

That's the same fridge, though

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The best part is in one of the pages afterward when the door closes and there's a little Black Lantern symbol fridge magnet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Opopanax posted:

That's the same fridge, though

Yeah, not really what I'm getting at. It was a deliberate call-out to that "women in fridges" meme with the progenitor of the meme for attention-grabbing purposes. It worked. Whoever came up with that must have been really pleased with themselves.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Knormal posted:

So does that mean the fridge was dead too?

Well, it is unplugged...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

The best part is in one of the pages afterward when the door closes and there's a little Black Lantern symbol fridge magnet.
The best part of Blackest Night.

mind the walrus posted:

That's the drat fridge the phrase comes from.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Before it was a meme it was an example of the Comic's Code authority interference :corsair:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

The best part of Blackest Night.

Pretty sure the best part of Blackest Night involves Mera vomiting blood on zombie Aquaman and their also zombie baby.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Knormal posted:

So does that mean the fridge was dead too? They killed his girlfriend and his fridge? That's just going too far.

If appliances can get power rings, they should give them to Wonder Woman's lasso or Luthor's bank vault as well. See how the Black Lanterns like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Knormal posted:

Maybe they couldn't close the door all the way after stuffing her in there, and the motor died.

TwoPair posted:

I've never heard anything good about Blackest Night, but that almost redeems the whole thing.

Shakenbaker posted:

Pretty sure the best part of Blackest Night involves Mera vomiting blood on zombie Aquaman and their also zombie baby.
Nevermind.

• Locked thread