Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Hey, Blackest Night was easily one of the better events of the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Hey, Blackest Night was easily one of the better events of the last few years.

The saddest statement, if true.

But probably not, considering other events in the preceding year included the "New Krypton" run on Superman (which was great until they inevitably hosed it up), Secret Invasion, and Dark Reign - all of which were leagues better than "rainbow emotion police fight ridiculous space zombies".

The following year did have the "Grounded" Superman storyline, though, so maybe 2009 was just the beginning of the long downward spiral.

Oh, and here's the fridge magnet panel.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 3, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Knormal posted:

So does that mean the fridge was dead too? They killed his girlfriend and his fridge? That's just going too far.
It's the dead girlfriend with a power ring making a fridge construct because "loving with everyone's heads" is what literally empowers Black Lanterns.

Still hilarious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

some kids cartoon

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Before it was a meme it was an example of the Comic's Code authority interference :corsair:

What? We're they forbidden from showing corpses so they showed fridges or something?

Genuinely interested. I've yet to see the CCA stick it's oar in anything and not have the result be entertaining.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh man, the saddest face.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Lets recap.

A supervillian killed a lantern's(kyle) girlfriend and left her in the fridge for kyle to find when he got home (i forgot who did it) the black ring found dead people close to the lanterns for almost all of their rings. that woman in the fridge being the former love of kyle's life it had an immediate effect in taking him away from the battle.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
If this is an edit, then Private Eye in the 1970s was amazing at photoshop.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SynthOrange posted:

some kids cartoon

Wolverine should refrain from making Charlie Brown faces while he's wearing a yellow-and-black-zig-zag shirt.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

KayTee posted:

What? We're they forbidden from showing corpses so they showed fridges or something?

Genuinely interested. I've yet to see the CCA stick it's oar in anything and not have the result be entertaining.

The original panel had the door open all the way, and showed his girlfriend's whole body. The Code objected, saying it would be too disturbing, so the artist redrew it to only show a few body parts.

The result was, it made a lot of readers think she had been chopped up before being stuffed in the fridge, making the panel even more disturbing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
And yet Kirby could get away with this in 1974.

edit: tables

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Fleshlights are really advanced in the world to come.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Keromaru5 posted:

The result was, it made a lot of readers think she had been chopped up before being stuffed in the fridge, making the panel even more disturbing.

I genuinely thought this was canon.

CCA track record : unbroken.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Wolverine should refrain from making Charlie Brown faces while he's wearing a yellow-and-black-zig-zag shirt.

:smith: "I got a lump of adamantium..."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Uthor posted:

And yet Kirby could get away with this in 1974.

edit: tables

Ok, so... she is supposed to be a robot, right? And this isn't some Stepford-Wife thing?

Fake edit: Looked it up. Not only is she a robot, she's also a bomb! Programmed to 'befriend' people then detonate them. Buddy tries to rescue the one he had begun to befriend, poo poo goes wrong, Shazam! OMAC time. He blows everything up, including the fembots.

Is the point of OMAC supposed to be that he's a massive tool, and if they just empowered Buddy without switching off his personality there'd be a much better hero?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The point of OMAC is that he has the power to fight entire armies. Technology has advanced to the point that if two armies met on the battlefield, they would have enough power to destroy the world. OMAC is sent in to prevent that.

Chris Sims says it's Kirby having a new look at the Captain America character for a nuclear age.

Also, you have almost enough exclamation points to explain the plot!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Elfface posted:

Ok, so... she is supposed to be a robot, right? And this isn't some Stepford-Wife thing?

Fake edit: Looked it up. Not only is she a robot, she's also a bomb! Programmed to 'befriend' people then detonate them. Buddy tries to rescue the one he had begun to befriend, poo poo goes wrong, Shazam! OMAC time. He blows everything up, including the fembots.

Is the point of OMAC supposed to be that he's a massive tool, and if they just empowered Buddy without switching off his personality there'd be a much better hero?

The idea was that the company that was making the fembots was turning some of them into bombs for assassination purposes.

And yes, Buddy's personality gets "turned off" when he becomes Omac, but Buddy is the one who's a massive tool; he can't figure out that Lila is a robot despite the fact that she acts like a total robot and the fact that Buddy works at the factory where they make the Lila fembots. Omac's the one who's actually capable of getting anything done.

Omac isn't changed back into Buddy until the next-to-last issue where it's revealed that he doesn't remember being Omac at all, and even then the change was involuntary. Omac is living his own life with no knowledge of Buddy at all, and if Omac never changed back then I guess Buddy would cease to exist. Back then, though, nobody seemed to realize how creepy/horrific that was.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Almost certainly posted before:

Deadpool Team-Up #890 (Machine Man)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BizarroAzrael posted:

Almost certainly posted before:

Deadpool Team-Up #890 (Machine Man)

Why didn't they use the Nextwave censoring?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why didn't they use the Nextwave censoring?

Nextwave remains too good for this world.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VanSandman posted:

Because DC has been a vile force of Evil since for like a decade now.

I'm a broken record on this but they were soooooooo close to everything being "fixed" at the end of Final Crisis. Morrison left them the perfect set-up for a universe of larger than life heroes who inspired and projected an air of unapologetic optimism in the face of everything dark and horrible.... and then DC started tearing arms off. :smith:

For me, the last great DC moment was "Darkseid always hated music...", but the one that truly stood out to me was (I think) from that Superman: Beyond 2-parter where one of the characters from the future says that Mandrakk is a living story of the ultimate end, of inevitable death and destruction and entropy, and then,"....but I found a better story" as Superman arrives to save the day :neckbeard:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 4, 2014

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Jerusalem posted:

I'm a broken record on this but they were soooooooo close to everything being "fixed" at the end of Final Crisis. Morrison left them the perfect set-up for a universe of larger than life heroes who inspired and projected an air of unapologetic optimism in the face of everything dark and horrible.... and then DC started tearing arms off. :smith:

For me, the last great DC moment was "Darkseid always hated music...", but the one that truly stood out to me was (I think) from that Superman: Beyond 2-parter where one of the characters from the future says that Mandrakk is a living story of the ultimate end, of inevitable death and destruction and entropy, and then,"....but I found a better story" as Superman arrives to save the day :neckbeard:

While i agree with you about the Final Crisis beign the perfect setup for a more fun DCU, DC had been going into the tearing arms off direction since Identity Crisis (with Inifnite Crisis actually being the beginning of that particular bag of fun). The fact that we got Final Crisis as it was was really more of a miracle.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hell, a huge part of Infinite Crisis was how Golden Age Superman hated how the DCU had gotten all grimdark and how the heroes were almost as bad as the villains. It was a brief moment of self-awareness that they didn't follow through on. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DC died the moment they (retcon) raped and killed Sue Dibny as far as I'm concerned. That was probably the single worst idea any writer has ever had.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Strontosaurus posted:

Stormwatch #12

Seriously?

Back in the *real* Stormwatch/Authority stories, Midnighter and Apollo were homosexual lovers, and even got married, IIRC, but holy gently caress, the entire publishing run, across every single separate series, INCLUDING the Kev series', did not have as much 'teh ghey' :gay: as those two pages.

And that includes Midnighter shedding MANLY TEARS over Apollo's broken body after the Commander was through with him. :cry:

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.

Fuego Fish posted:

The saddest statement, if true.

Catch up? Is this a bad joke about ketchup?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

DC died the moment they (retcon) raped and killed Sue Dibny as far as I'm concerned. That was probably the single worst idea any writer has ever had.

Hey someone who agrees. It took until about the time of Countdown before it really sunk in to me that DC was dead though. I clung on to that corpse for a while and poo poo like 52 or the Reyes Blue Beetle kept me optimistic.

TheCenturion posted:

Seriously?

Back in the *real* Stormwatch/Authority stories, Midnighter and Apollo were homosexual lovers, and even got married, IIRC, but holy gently caress, the entire publishing run, across every single separate series, INCLUDING the Kev series', did not have as much 'teh ghey' :gay: as those two pages.

And that includes Midnighter shedding MANLY TEARS over Apollo's broken body after the Commander was through with him. :cry:

The New 52 takes established characters, removes what little subtlety they ever had, and remakes them into poo poo golems in a vain (and probably successful) attempt to pander to the lowest possible common denominator in existence? You don't say...

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 4, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

IamnotJoe posted:

Catch up? Is this a bad joke about ketchup?
57 52 Varieties!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

He'll never get to kiss the red-haired girl, will he? :(

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

davidspackage posted:

Man, you'd think it'd be easier to give some bad news to Wolverine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

davidspackage posted:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Remember when Wolverine was like 5'5"? Good times.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
He got a quarter inch taller every time he died and defeated death to come back.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Jackman has been better than I expected, but the height thing has always bugged me. Up until recently, being a runt has always been such a central part of the character.

Even though he would have been a little too tall at 5'8", I'm a firm believer that in Cape Fear-shape & age Robert DeNiro would have been the perfect casting for Wolverine.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dillbag posted:

Jackman has been better than I expected, but the height thing has always bugged me. Up until recently, being a runt has always been such a central part of the character.

The early movies used a lot of camera tricks to make him look shorter and it worked fine. Did they stop doing that?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't recall them ever doing that outside of the first one.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Injustice Year Three #6

Out of his depth Batman is one of my favourite characters.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cassa posted:

Injustice Year Three #6

Yet still polite enough to actually hang up the sign for her.

Or would that be rude enough just to spite Constantine? Both are fine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cassa posted:

Very rare to see too, since his Holiness the Uber-Bat is always going to be en vogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Section Z posted:

Yet still polite enough to actually hang up the sign for her.

Or would that be rude enough just to spite Constantine? Both are fine.

Well, she did say please.

• Locked thread