Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Prison Warden posted:

What do you think paper is made of?

Wood pulp. Or am I missing a joke here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Wood pulp. Or am I missing a joke here?

Paper can be made from pretty much any suitable fibers. Wood is by far the most common today for new non-currency paper - but cotton paper is still paper.

Content:

From Lois Lane #18. Kind of a creepy story with a bizarrely quasi-prescient 21st century ending.

Lois is suddenly abducted by ASTOUNDING MAN, who has been admiring her from afar using wall-penetrating telescope rays and whatever, like what a sensible and charming thing to do is. He demonstrates his worth, and his admiration of her, as excerpted above. After securing her promise that she loves him for who he is and not his ASTOUNDING powers, it turns out he's actually an android controlled by a wizened old man named Oogamooga. Oh no! But Lois finds a happy solution:

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 17, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That story is pretty relevant for today. Two old people double-catfishing each other with android surrogates? loving amazing.

Also, as funny as ASTOUNDING MAN is, we already have characters like Mr. Fantastic who we can mention with a straight face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

And so, Second Life is born.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gavok posted:

If it was the case then the person controlling the GirlBot should be a guy. And ASTOUNDING MAN would have a wolf head.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Plutonis posted:

If it was the case then the person controlling the GirlBot should be a guy. And ASTOUNDING MAN would have a wolf head.

Baby steps, man. Baby steps.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Nowhere near enough flying penises.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redbackground posted:

Hey, you don't talk that way about Superm-- oh wait, now the name Superdickery makes sense.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
Does Cable/Deadpool count for X/X? If so, then so should Mars Attacks/Transformers. :colbert:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

redbackground posted:

I can do swimming penises. Do you need any swimming penises?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lobok posted:

That story is pretty relevant for today. Two old people double-catfishing each other with android surrogates? loving amazing.

Also, as funny as ASTOUNDING MAN is, we already have characters like Mr. Fantastic who we can mention with a straight face.

Norm MacDonald has some pretty good commentary on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDzBVvhbtIw

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

X-Man #25

in the same issue:

You need a passing knowledge on X-Men history to figure out why it's so hilarious, but basically he made out with a clone of his mother and then proceeds to tell his mother's counterpart in 616 that he needs a mom. Guy has issues.

This blog has been revisiting X-Man, and it's so absurdly 90's not to mention terrible that's worth a laugh.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Um, Madelyne is his mother. Unless that's a clone of Madelyne, who is a clone of Jean Grey... jesus what were they thinking?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

Um, Madelyne is his mother. Unless that's a clone of Madelyne, who is a clone of Jean Grey... jesus what were they thinking?

That is X-man who is from AOA. He was created from the genertic material of Cyclops and Jean Grey. It was only later when he came to our reality he started making out with Madelyne.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Isn't anything that has to do with Cyclops pretty much one huge Oedipus complex, with emphasis on the complexity? Even from the very beginning, though he may not have known it, Cyclops was essentially competing with his father figure Prof. X for the affections of Jean Grey. Having evil, cloned, and future versions of your son and wife who fit all the various combinations of loving, loving, and wanting to kill each other is just adding more and more crazy layers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saoshyant posted:

This blog has been revisiting X-Man, and it's so absurdly 90's not to mention terrible that's worth a laugh.

There seemed to be a trend in the nineties for superheroes to wear the standard form-fitting costume, but with this huge leather jacket over it.

Thanks to X-Men: The Animated Series, it's almost Rogue's signature look.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

That is X-man who is from AOA. He was created from the genertic material of Cyclops and Jean Grey. It was only later when he came to our reality he started making out with Madelyne.

X-Man is Cable from the Age Of Apocalypse universe who didn't have the techno organic virus due to the alternate timeline. He would have been the son of Jean and Scott, and Madelyn is the clone of Jean. So he's making out with the alternate-universe clone of the clone of his mother. It's the same genes, he's basically making out with his biological mother.

EDIT: That's assuming the Madelyne in that panel is a clone of the original Madelyne.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

C'mon guys, the hilarious bit isn't that he is making out with his mom's twin sister or whatever, but that after doing it, he went on to find Jean and come up with a talk that's basically:

"Hey, mom. Can I call you mom? I just totally had a thing with your sexy clone, like, hot drat! Can you be my mom?"

What was the writer thinking??

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Also from that site.

The Amazing Spider-Man #420

Context: As a Christmas gift Nate Grey mucks around in Peters head so he can be telepathically/dream reunited with Uncle Ben and Aunt May (who was "dead at the time")

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember really liking X-Man, and I'm kinda scared to go back and look again.

I also thought Roger Cruz was a pretty good artist :sweatdrop:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

X-Man is one of those things that brings me back to the worst of the mid-90s in a bad way. Dude was just a ball of crazy mixed with bad marketing lingo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mind the walrus posted:

X-Man is one of those things that brings me back to the worst of the mid-90s in a bad way. Dude was just a ball of crazy mixed with bad marketing lingo.

Towards the end, I recall Warren Ellis did some interesting things with him as Earth Shaman, though I was a little confused at him becoming a mystical character, especially considering he was basically taking the same job as Doctor Strange.

To contribute, here's Nightcrawler being either romantic or incredibly loving creepy:

Nice crotch placement, Kurt. From Uncanny X-Men 168.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jerusalem posted:

Towards the end, I recall Warren Ellis did some interesting things with him as Earth Shaman, though I was a little confused at him becoming a mystical character, especially considering he was basically taking the same job as Doctor Strange.

To contribute, here's Nightcrawler being either romantic or incredibly loving creepy:

Also doesn't help that he's showing off his prehensile tail by lifting a wine glass with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Also doesn't help that he's showing off his prehensile tail by lifting a wine glass with it.

According to one x-men writer, Nightcrawler had more then one penis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

How could I possibly guess which writer came up with that?????

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

bobkatt013 posted:

I don't know what to make of my automatic response of "God dammit Claremont!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RandallODim posted:

I don't know what to make of my automatic response of "God dammit Claremont!"

Nope. The person who said that was Chuck Austen. It is part of an interview on the X-men 2 DVD

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2013

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope. The person who said that was Chuck Austin. It is part of an interview on the X-men 2 DVD

Shows what my knee-jerk responses get me!

To be an actual contributor instead of making mistaken statements, here's a great panel from Wolverine and The X-Men #25.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

RandallODim posted:

Shows what my knee-jerk responses get me!

To be an actual contributor instead of making mistaken statements, here's a great panel from Wolverine and The X-Men #25.

I never noticed the little "PSIONIC" bit on that sound effect until now.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And thus Atomic Robo's first crossover with the Big Two comes to a horrifying end :ohdear:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
"Why Dr. Dinosaur Hates Quentin Quire"

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Jerusalem posted:

Who is the "Yum" coming from?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
His girlfriend. Who is also his adopted sister.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

His girlfriend. Who is also his adopted sister.

Never thought i'd see that kind of relationship outside of Animes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Never thought i'd see that kind of relationship outside of Animes.

It is Chris Claremont.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chris "Calisto will be improved by giving her tentacle rape arms" Claremont.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Metal Loaf posted:

Chris "Calisto will be improved by giving her tentacle rape arms" Claremont.

Pretty sure almost no one in the US had even seen or heard about hentai back in the 90s; the internet was still barely past text based browsing for most people.

Nextwave 22

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
That sure would have been nice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Roboto posted:

Pretty sure almost no one in the US had even seen or heard about hentai back in the 90s; the internet was still barely past text based browsing for most people.

The transformation took place the first volume of X-Treme X-Men, which ran between 2001 and 2004. I didn't mean to suggest he was trying to copy hentai or anything, just that it's what it ended up looking like. I mean, it takes place during a story arc where the villain uses his mutant powers to make himself look like Marilyn Monroe, one of his minions has orgasm powers and another wields an energy whip and dresses in the gimp suit from Pulp Fiction.

Was it set in Japan as well? I can't remember.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mister Roboto posted:

As a side note there was a small but healthy anime culture even in the 80s. People managed to get into weird, niche poo poo without the internet just fine back in the day. And Akira really blew the whole thing up for some folks, by the time the 90s rolled around people could rent that poo poo at a video store without much trouble.

• Locked thread