Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

From Ressentiment, volume 2, page 22, I think.

Because it's what I'm reading. While most anime and manga is pretty terrible, you occasionally get something which, like Animal Farm, dolls a current or extremely prescient theme up in just enough fantasy that you can laugh at it and, at the same time, can't help but think "Oh, wait, that's kind of really happening."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
From Anything Goes issue 3, 1986

From The Internet, roughly a year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ6zr6kCPj8

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

digibomb posted:

Honestly, gently caress Ennis. I'm tired of that face. I'm tired of people's faces being dicks or butts. Seriously: gently caress Garth Ennis.

Dude's a writer, not an artist. If the faces appear to you as dicks or butts than that is either the fault of the artist or your own desires for the faces to be dicks or butts. Now go read some old Hellblazer and develop your appreciation for drunk Irish comic book writers, or find a good therapist.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DarkCrawler posted:

Manatees have a terrible imagination as showcased by their years of writing Family Guy, they would make an awful Green Lantern.

Need I point out the obvious that the longest tenured, and probably most popular, latern is Hal Jordan?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Derek Dominoe posted:

I also seem to recall that there were a few comics back when that implied that Batman preferred Kyle, who he could pretty much boss around in his early days.

I like to think that's because Batman is secretly a huge anime fan, putting on the costume and fighting crime allows him to cosplay, like, every single night.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Defiance Industries posted:

Hawkeye's second book can be like Avenging Spider-Man, where he just teams up with a new character every issue. We can call it "Hawk and Guys." We'll make Hawk and Guys really huge and the word and really tiny.

Before the bandwagon gets to heavy, ask yourself "Do I really want Hawkeye ending up as the next Deadpool?"

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Defiance Industries posted:

In this Imaginary Story(tm) Hawkeye's second book is ALSO the best book in the world. That is the key difference-maker.

I.....see.... Ann Nocenti coming back to Marvel as a writer. I...see... Hawkeye accidentally cutting off his genitalia with a trick arrow. I...see.... the rest of the book primarily focusing on his struggles with gender and identity.

It may end up being the best book, but All-beard will always be the best pirate

From Sven Soldiers of Hoekery, Gaurdian #2

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
A little crossthread syngergystic love with the Thorsby thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507210

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

techknight posted:

If you guys aren't familiar with it, Dog Police is a thing and as a bonus is a soundalike of the Electric Company Spider-Man theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0359hSerDeE

I have seen that before and totally forgotten about it. I was also quite happy to have forgotten about it.

I guess there's no choice left to but to post some Dalgoda panels.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
So, hold on, I don't keep up with GL. The orange ring is powered by yuletide spirit, or Jaffa cakes?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

TwoPair posted:

No, I don't. But I guess trying it is on my to-do list now.

Jaffa cakes. If your local grocery store has an English import section then get Jaffa cakes. I will live vicariously through you.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Adam Strange posted:

Haha, Bendis is doing Garth Ennis and Frank Miller impressions in Daredevil: End of Days.

(JLA/Hitman #1)

Man, now I really want to find some panels from Hitman/Lobo to post.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So would this be around the time Sonic had a ring in each hand, snorting crushed rings off the rear end of a twelve year-old boy he called "Ring"?

That boy was named "Tails."

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

C. Everett Koop posted:

Please tell me his name is Cock Knocker or something like that.

Roger isn't good enough for you?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=roger

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Opopanax posted:

I'd like to see Ultimates reference that and have Thor just electrocute the lot of them

Tom Lehrer in the background all playing Poisoning Pigeons in the Park.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Matlock posted:

I think that's Meat Loaf and Slash.

The blonde is Glenn Danzig, you can tell by the height. The guy in the skull t-shirt is Michael Jackson being incognito.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Does Nick Fury still smoke?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

TwoPair posted:

I'm more just pissed that there's no way to get Doom with his sweatshirt and speech bubble small enough for an avatar. Something would have to be cropped and that'd be unacceptable.

Hulkshirt Doom as avatar, speech bubble contents as custom text. A perfectly acceptable alternative.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

If there were a store near me with a sign that just said "WINE" I would shop there every day.

But would you hit up the "ESCARGOT" shop afterwards?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

OH GOD I MUST FIND A WAY TO AVATARIZE THIS

All will bow down before my hatred of Spider-Man!

What If? Dr. Octopus had been brainswapped with JJ Jameson?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
How is it that, with all the flak the "boobs 'n' butt" pose gets, Spidey gets a free ride for doing the Linda Blair thing while taking a photo?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You know what, yes, I am. Matters of sexism, "the artist has never actually seen a real live girl" and good taste aside, skeletal elasticity seems to be a thing in comics. Can spiders spin their heads 180 degrees? Is it o.k. because it's Jameson's paranoid delusion? I want a canonical answer to rule out the possibility that the artist doesn't understand anatomy.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Ghostlight posted:

Because while keeping a character's face, and therefore expression and large source of personality and tone, visible at an angle that you really shouldn't be able to see it is a poor compositional choice, it's not quite as poor or sexist a choice as keeping a characters boobs and butt visible as those parts of the body do not perform anywhere near the same function as a face in human communication.

TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE ANSWER. Thank you.

Except, what about the large percentage of super heroes who keep their identity concealed behind masks?

Sizone fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 9, 2013

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I would totally read an Evil Friends Forever ongoing :allears:

Man, if they took out Sonic and Megaman and then started working their way through Bubsy and Aero the Acrobat and Chester Cheetah and suchlike, that would be such a fine comic.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hate #30

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sockser posted:

Who's the fourth dude in super heavyweights?

Stan Lee?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Choco1980 posted:

What he's not telling you is that Betty Sue promised to let him touch her boobies if he won first prize.

What he does not know is that Betty Sue was lying when she promised this. She knew he would never take first prize.

For content, from Hellblazer #9

For context, swampy manifested his body from Constantine's pack of smokes. The rogue mage seriously just rolled himself a plant elemental ciggy and is about to have a few puffs.

Wish I could find my scans of Wasteland....

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

tetsman posted:

I think that's Hellblazer #63.

It's Constantine's 40th birthday and it's early into Ennis' run so that sounds -kind of- right.

edit: yeah, 63

double edit: not sure Dillon's ever seen a pot plant before.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 12, 2013

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Uthor posted:

Justice League International Annual #2.

If Nextwave is cheating, Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League certainly is. Please post more.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Lurdiak posted:

This might be more sad than funny.

Source: Tumblr.

Man, my local comic shop was run by a sweet little lesbian lady with a history degree and really, really good taste. I always find the "no girls in comic shop" thing to ring hollow, but I guess I was just lucky.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters #1

Middle left panel, dat face.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Fire is bad. Thanks goons, thanks for off topically making me want to play, what I'm sure is, a really subpar fighting game.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Teenage Fansub posted:

Read yer Jonah Hex.

I, I have some scans of Hex somewhere if you want to see how the inverse of this goes.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Alhazred posted:

The norse gods shouldn't be throwing stones in glass houses:

Why must I be the pedantic motherfucker? Look at which way the arms of the cross are bent.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jerusalem posted:

If nothing else, the Authority had the two super-macho alpha-males in the group as a loving gay couple whose relationship was treated as perfectly normal and sweet. For that alone it deserves credit.

It had some pretty drat fine Lobo crossovers!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ManiacClown posted:

Gods above and below, do I hope they bring back Don of the Dead. That was such a horrible yet well-executed pun that he needs to come back sometimes.

But...the DG-20 isn't an electric guitar. It's a guitar shaped midi controller.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This isn't exactly the place for it, but could someone explain the whole Deadpool/T-ray thing to me in under a paragraph? I read through all of v1 of Deadpool and that was one of the most perplexing comic experiences I've ever had. I mean, what? Is, like, T-ray the zombie corpse of Wade Wilson?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jerusalem posted:

I find the best way to think of things is that T-Ray was a psycho with a band-aid on his nose and leave it at that.

You're probably right, but I can't help but think that the stolen identity thing would've played out pretty well, as the sort of grand motif for the first run of Deadpool was redemption and becoming a hero, had it come to some sort of conclusion rather than, as Gavok just illuminated me, getting scrapped, like, midway through.

I should post some funny panels to make up for the derail, but the only scans I have on this computer are MLP:FiM. Anyone want to see a Blade Runner reference in a My Little Pony comic?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
T-ray, Black Swan, Blind Al, The GLI, let's face it, short of himself, Deadpool doesn't really have a great collection of nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Jerusalem posted:

I never really considered Blind Al a true nemesis of Deadpool's anyway, even though they had a hugely hosed up relationship. Or maybe I'm blinded by how much I enjoyed the "Deadpool and Blind Al travel back in time and impersonate Peter Parker and Aunt May" story :allears:

I was mostly joking, but what else do you call someone who routinely swaps your sugar with salt?
Man, the Blind Al "If you love something, set it free" issue totally belongs in the touching panels thread.

• Locked thread