Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

Everybody needs to buy Wolverine and the X-Men #17.

I bought this today. The greatest thing about this panel is that Doop is actually playing a bass instead of guitar and yet he still won.

Link, just in case people haven't heard of Robert Johnson, or the movie this scene is taken from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_%281986_film%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

This is definitely in the near vicinity of that. Then Simon gets over his self-doubt and becomes an enormous rear end in a top hat with a horrific costume.

(This picture actually makes it look not-so-bad. I never cared for the art in West Coast Avengers; it all looked unpleasant to me.)

I don't have the comic anymore, but there was some funny stuff in that arc:

1) Wonder man starts trying to one up iron man all the time as a result of his increased confidence.
2) The two of them race into space chasing a fleeing villain.
3) Wonder man's jets fail in orbit (because they are jets, Iron Man has rockets).
4) Wonder man plummets to earth, and then gets mad at Iron Man for coming back to save him.
5) Next issue, Wonder man gets a better costume and learns humility after getting hurt in a one on one with abomination.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm being reduced to protoplasmic slime! "Yipes!"

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It was a bad idea by a lovely writer (actually an artist with delusions of writing) that a good writer actually salvaged.

And it happened in Moon Knight (sorta) years ago. So this time the 'ersatz batman' was actually out in front.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I started reading the Rocket Raccoon: Guardian of the Keystone Quadrant HC. All this is from the first issue. I'm not including much context because it honestly won't help it make more sense.

Hulk gets woken up by a robotic lawn mower and smashes, alerting the authorities.

Then, a flashback to Earth. I just don't know.

Finally, they make it to space (this could be in the badass panels thread).

Incredible Hulk 271

I actually owned the incredible hulk issue just prior to this one. (The tag at the end was NEXT: ROCKET RACCOON!) What I recall happening was that those three guys in the second panel of the flashback (Blue with horns; Blue with square stick, and red guy) came to get Hulk to help fight a space monster. Rick went and dosed himself with Gamma to try and help, but he just fell over and started glowing. The blondish woman in the green shirt wanted to help him, but the only person she could find was three finger mohawk woman, who is some kind of interstellar TV producer. Hulk fought and beat the space monster (including a totally awesome fight with Abomination) but was sent spiraling off through space, where he presumably crash landed on Rocket's planet.

drat, why are comics not that awesome anymore?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

Who's the fourth dude in super heavyweights?

e: beaten so bad it isn't funny--forgot to check for extra pages!

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey, there's no reason to bring Moon Knight into this :v:

I know you're joking, but because I am an MK fanboy I feel compelled to point out that that is why he is awesome: He wants you to see him coming.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

Do Danny and Luke even really hang out anymore?

they showed up at the end of the most recent superior foes issue.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

Is the Wasp seriously aloud to do anything that isn't shacking up with a random guy or dying?

Roger Stern made her Avengers leader, had her stop obsessing about men all the time, and had her lead the team through the siege on the mansion. He was going to do the same for Monica Rambeau, and then editorial shut it down. No other writer has ever built on that or even tried. It's a big peeve of mine.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Marshal Radisic posted:

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't he also riffing off of Plato's Apology?

It's either that or 'unfrozen caveman lawyer.'

I wonder how many goon lawyers we have--it seems like every thread I follow, someone outs themselves as a lawyer.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ManiacClown posted:

Don't go back for second semester. Unless you know for sure you're going to be one of those top 10% of your class yutzes AND you're the kind of twisted mutant who thrives on stress, law practice is a bad life. Also, no, you can't "do anything with a JD" unless "anything" is "be pigeonholed because everyone else wonders why you're applying there instead of making loads of money as a lawyer."

Sorry for the derail, but the youth need to be educated.

So, 4-5 lawyers in the last two pages. Nerd/law connection established. I'll stop the derail.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

The MTV one is at least a little better for having NPH. USM is pretty weak and written for a much younger crowd

I think this is important to remember. The kids I know all love USM and are lukewarm on the other versions. I think it's important that Marvel actually produce superhero stuff for kids. If they don't like it they will go somewhere else, whereas we already have a ton of stuff for manchildren.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

If he did I can guarantee the response would've been "you're right, that doesn't make any sense - have them attack something near the water like Alcatraz."

I remember reading a later issue where he had Torpedo and Torpedo v.2 (the other SCUBA guy--can't remember his name) do some kind of mission. They swim to their target AND THEN CHANGE OUT OF THEIR WETSUITS INTO REGULAR CAMO to do the rest of the job. As a kid it was pretty surprising and out of the ordinary to see something so simple and practical actually reflected in the comic, since I was so used to scenes like the one above where the guy is walking around in flippers.

edit: that just made me remember GI JOE: special missions. It was a spin-off book where Hama was able to do more complicated stories and featured enemies other than Cobra (although also Cobra). I really liked that book as well.

2nd edit: Wet Suit? DAMMIT HASBRO

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 6, 2014

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

If it was the panel after Spidey punked Phoenix Illyana and Colossus so the Avengers could escape, then that's entirely understandable. :colbert:

That sounds cool, could you post that sequence?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The cartoon has JK Simmons and Clark Gregg, your argument is invalid.

(It's a guilty pleasure.)

It's a superhero cartoon actually aimed at kids which is hard for some people. But Bobby thinking it's cool actually makes sense, since he is sort of childish.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

How little we think of children.

They're not so bad. They don't say pretentious poo poo like this, for example.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The kid in front of Alan, is Sinestro? :psyduck:

I just assumed it was Kyle, but you're right about the widow's peak.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

The art is part of why it rules.

I like the art as well. (and the writing.) If someone could post the page where she jumps through the rooftops? I liked the feeling of momentum on that page--seemed like a nice old school concept contrasting with the unusual colour palette.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KayTee posted:

I like how Blondie just ducks out completely and lets Mom & the kids do the fighting for him.

Also little Suzie Kneecaps is just sauntering away in the bottom panel like she jus' don' care - rest of the family are bolting, she's on the catwalk.

They're all cobra agents. There's a scene later in the series (just before 50, I think) where a little girl pulls a dirty harry style handgun out of her purse and threatens a GIJoe with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I read the entire 40 years of Avengers DVD, and the main takeaway of the Avengers' entire history is that the Wasp is the worst.

The siege of the mansion is one of the best Avengers stories, and Wasp is the lead character in it. The whole Stern run did a lot for her character. That's when I started reading Avengers so she's that character to me, not the ditzy early Wasp or boring Bendis Wasp.

• Locked thread