Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

BallerAlert is a real thing

way to go America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Imagine the checks big ben had to wright

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
That story about his girlfriend just taking 600k out of his account is literally the worst

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bernie was trying to keep his dad happy for fear of pissing him off. :(

Kosar's current girlfriend is a multi-millionaire from my hometown.

Word is she's not doing much better financially.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

$105 million :stare:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Unsurprisingly, this whole thing is playing out like a real-life version of Kanye's "Gold Digger".

"You'd see him on TV, any given Sunday
Win the Super Bowl and drive off in a Hyundai"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jason Caffey made 28 million :ughh:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

I can't believe Greg Norman ever made $105 mil.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Now it's getting sad :smith:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

ChampRamp posted:

I can't believe Greg Norman ever made $105 mil.

This was my first reaction too.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Are you telling me you didn't buy a Greg Norman 'Shark' brand hat?!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Why isn't Mark Brunell in this movie

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Professor Funk posted:

Not all of the investments he made were stupid.

Well, I mean, they were, but not in an immediately obvious way.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Terrell Owens story is so sad. :smith:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Professor Funk posted:

hey man What-A-Burger's gonna turn it around

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Whoa, this really is horribly sad :smith:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

How do you blow $400M :stare:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

109 rooms :catstare:

"I was broke. I didn't have any money...because I spent all my money."

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A goal without a plan is a wish.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Holy poo poo Herm Edwards does sort of own.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
"A goal without a plan is a wish."

Herm has been spot on in this entire thing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yes the Lingerie Football League.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

$48 million for Bart Scott :negative:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
drat, even Tony Gwynn?

:(

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

That was really, really awesome.

I have a newfound respect for Herm Edwards.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Harmon Killebrew declared bankruptcy? That is sad.

I'm just baffled, like I can't fathom at all how these guys blow so much money. I save every dime and penny I get.

Good show overall, bring on more!

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I ended up really liking it, even though I thought the 'look at all my money!!!' portion went on a bit too long.

Seconding Herm Edwards as MVP of the show.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

ChampRamp posted:

Harmon Killebrew declared bankruptcy? That is sad.

I'm just baffled, like I can't fathom at all how these guys blow so much money. I save every dime and penny I get.

Good show overall, bring on more!

I had no sense of saving money when I was ~20. Blindly give me 8 figures with no help and I would absolutely be on that list.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Jackie D posted:

I had no sense of saving money when I was ~20. Blindly give me 8 figures with no help and I would absolutely be on that list.

I saved everything I made in high school. I guess I'm the exception to the rule. Sorry to go a bit off-topic.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I really wonder why basic financial education is not something that is mandatory for everybody. Way too many people graduate with no real idea of how to use money wisely.

Nthing the respect for Herm Edwards on this. He was spot on.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Why ya'll shocked Herm Edwards was awesome? You know, cuz hes awesome.

I forgot how many illegitimate children athletes can rack up. You'd think Travis Henry would make a lifestyle change after number 5.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good 30 For 30. There was a good point brought up about why universities don't give the athletes they make millions off of a basic financial education. At the same time, you sort of have to roll your eyes at the arrogant ones that were among those that dozed off during the information sessions the NBA/NFL hold to attempt to tell them to be smart with the money.

Herm Edwards owns, especially after the "One jewelry. Don't be going after the Mr. T Starter Set" line.

And maybe it's because everyone in this state is so :fap: over him that makes it somewhat surprising, but how the hell did Archie Griffin go bankrupt?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Good 30 For 30. There was a good point brought up about why universities don't give the athletes they make millions off of a basic financial education. At the same time, you sort of have to roll your eyes at the arrogant ones that were among those that dozed off during the information sessions the NBA/NFL hold to attempt to tell them to be smart with the money.

Herm Edwards owns, especially after the "One jewelry. Don't be going after the Mr. T Starter Set" line.

And maybe it's because everyone in this state is so :fap: over him that makes it somewhat surprising, but how the hell did Archie Griffin go bankrupt?

He opened a chain of sneaker stores with his brother that failed massively.

I'm pretty sure he was still playing when he filed.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I mean, I was an arrogant teen ager (and I am now an arrogant 20 something). I'd probably be nodding off not paying attention either because I figured I knew everything. I'm in my mid 20's now but I only in the last year or so really started figuring out how to manage my meager finances.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Antoine Walker was on ESPN and talked about losing his money. Yes, he probably bought a lot of stupid poo poo, but what always gets me is how these athletes tend to take care of all of their childhood friends. "I made it, you didn't, but don't worry, I got ya!" Traveling with a posse of 10 to 15 guys? Paying for everything, year in and year out? That poo poo adds up, and it adds up fast.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Jack's Flow posted:

Antoine Walker was on ESPN and talked about losing his money. Yes, he probably bought a lot of stupid poo poo, but what always gets me is how these athletes tend to take care of all of their childhood friends. "I made it, you didn't, but don't worry, I got ya!" Traveling with a posse of 10 to 15 guys? Paying for everything, year in and year out? That poo poo adds up, and it adds up fast.

I can't understand that point of view from the friends. At some point wouldn't you say "nah, don't worry about it man, I can get my own stuff"? Having someone taking care of me all the time and paying for everything would kinda make me feel like a lowlife piece of poo poo.

Is it an Entourage kind of thing where these friends do little things for their buddy and treat it as a "job", so they feel that they're getting compensated for their troubles or something?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

ozymandius1024 posted:

Having someone taking care of me all the time and paying for everything would kinda make me feel like a lowlife piece of poo poo.

Not trying to make a blanket statement, but a lot of the guys these athletes are hanging out with are lowlife pieces of poo poo.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Just saw this on Simmons' twitter:

http://instagram.com/p/QTP6vLL87C/

The Cavs watching Broke. Pay attention, guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bernie was trying to keep his dad happy for fear of pissing him off. :(

Kosar's current girlfriend is a multi-millionaire from my hometown.

Word is she's not doing much better financially.

The whole Bernie thing was sad, I was :smith: every time he was on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure the NFL rookie orientation includes a financial education thing but I could see some of the bigger names thinking they'll never need it. If you're a 19 year old kid who has 40 million guaranteed coming your way, I could very well understand why you'd feel that way, especially if you're successful. There's also the fact that you can't plan for family acting like you owe them...or your financial manager taking you for everything you're worth, like Mr.T's did.

• Locked thread