Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure whether to qualify it as a plot hole or something, but there were originally 5 pairs. Either they were expecting one group to freak out or the initial matchups would be uneven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The game's stories has enough hooks in me for me to hope that the difference in the storyline feels like it could mean something. Hope that means it actually delivers, but story-wise there's definite potential.

Then again, it could just merely be the sanitized version they tell other people. In the other storyline, Eluca and Zhamo could've had the same situation, they could've just used the battle experience they received to plan to overthrow the King.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given the fact that they seem to be giving more importance to Olgar and Vashti, it kind of feels that they're going to be the ones who win the fight the first match fight this time.

And the shifting Escher and Musiea is kind of interesting. It's definitely the most stark change, albeit there's also some visible changes with Eluca and Zhamo from being/not being them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, I definitely don't mind. The story is actually really interesting, but the sheer repetition is mind-numbing. It probably doesn't help that the gameplay doesn't look like it actually evolves any, and that it starts relatively easy and only gets easier as you level.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
If I had to guess, Ayuta might be more direct. Like directly a son rather than a descendant.

The alternate universes of this game is interesting, especially considering the pair functionally. Even the pairs are paired in significance with another pair. I wonder what the symbolism behind that is, really. I wouldn't be surprised if in Olgar's story, Ayuta/Mana are the other two that win their first round.

I do find the curveball they've thrown interesting. I didn't think the Ark arena would have different people period fighting each other in the first round.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Olgar and Vahti are a lot more active this time around. It's just setting up all sorts of expectations for their specific story segment. I wonder if it breaks the mold entirely.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
In a way it makes sense. You can't have both Olgar and Garrick try to attack the agent within the same universe and have different results. That's just plot convenient.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Speculation: Given the heavy time travel and alternate realities overlay we're given here, I'm going to guess the successful four couples from alternate realities end up meeting up through that portal they keep walking through. Seems that the game is setting that up pretty fiercely.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Jalathas posted:

Well, that sure was a Deus Ex Manachina. :v:

I'm not even really sure what the point of Mana doing that in the first place. It's not like Ayuta is going to help since he's staying with Mana.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That actually is a pretty sensible question out of Ayuta there. Either that or he's trying to piss them off given the way he's been acting in this incarnation.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Given the plan is explicitly about finding the best breeding pair I'd get really creeped out if the game was full of nothing but teenagers.

I do appreciate the curveball they throw here as previous history definitely makes you expect Ayuta to win. Though Cyllis' comments right before entering the arena did make me think she was a previous winner.

As to the actual fight that happened it looks like Kushina was the lagging leg in that fight. Which isn't surprising, they hinted that one quite a bit. Previous comments are kind of correct though, if the pairs consistently have one winning pair and Ayuta as the baseline, where's the real diversity in that?

Given the elimination style seems to be really consistent as well, it makes additionally no sense for Garrick and Alto to have been there at all in the first place in the previous game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Conor. Save your family little boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I do like how it ties together, it makes a lot of sense overall. While the 'make a new Sopia core' thing from before seemed a bit convenient, it actually does retroactively explain that now. If the horsemen are under Bach's control, then he probably also made all the original Sopia cores in the first place.

This also says a LOT about Lessica. She really doesn't want to go through with this, having seen this repeated. I wonder how many other Nominators she asked the same question, only to have them accept their fate and try to save the world.

It definitely speaks to the intent of the ritual. It seems very very deliberate that everyone selected is close to the Nominator in some fashion. To break their will and have them accede, let the Nominator be wrapped up in their sunk costs and continue what Bachs wants.

The one problem I have really is that it's fairly obvious throughout that Bachs is going to end up an antagonist to some degree, but I'm not sure what to do to make it less obvious.

• Locked thread