Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
So I have a question - this game's story is pretty interesting to me so far, but i'm holding off on buying it because i'm not sure just how much of it is left, and it'd be kind of a pointless purchase if there only ended up being a little left. Could anyone who's played ballpark how far this is into the game in a spoiler tag or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh hell yes. Thanks for the quick response, now i'm gonna go find out just how well a game like this can run on a 6 inch long phone. :getin:

EDIT: Four hours of gameplay later, and i'm running around with Escher and Musiea at level 70. I can't even tell if this game is grindy or not because it just keeps throwing so much xp at me!

klapman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 24, 2012

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Man, this game was so good. It took me a solid 20 hours to complete everything, and I wasn't ever really straight up bored during any of it. It was just enough of a game to keep my mind occupied, but not to the point where I actually had to put some serious effort into it, which to me is absolutely perfect for a mobile game. It doesn't seem like Chaos Rings 2 is on Android, which is a shame, but I tried the prequel instead. Unfortunately, they made it way too much of a game for my tastes. I liked getting really powerful levels really quickly drat it, so why am I getting destroyed by bosses fifteen levels lower than me because I refuse to use tactics more advanced than "Pair, Attack"? Game's broken, man. :colbert:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

ivantod posted:

Well, on one hand, it has to be said that the damage formula in this game is quite unbalanced--it's so bad that by the point you reach level 60, enemies that are 20 levels higher can no longer damage you (as I've shown a few times, they simply hit you for 0 HP!). Also, enemies do give way too much XP, so instead of employing a detailed strategy, it's easier simply to spend 15-20min to gain a few levels. So it could be argued that this needed a bit of fixing. Unfortunately, with Chaos Rings Ω and Chaos Rings II (the sequel), I think they went just a bit too far in the opposite direction so now the game is a bit too hard! They certainly fixed power-leveling--I have been playing Chaos Rings II for a few hours already and the characters have barely managed to stumble up to about level 10 by this point! Also several things have been added to the battle system that make it more complex than before which just adds to the increased difficulty (e.g. there are now 'armored' enemies which you can only damage with pair attacks!). It's not been TOO BIG of a deal so far, but it would be nice to be allowed to have just a tiny bit of power instead of constantly scraping by in encounters, you know? :v:

Chaos Rings II is available on Android in Japan, so it will probably be coming over here at some point--my guess is they didn't want to release all three games together at the same time because they feel people may be more inclined to buy the sequel after they have already played the first two a little bit. BTW don't bother with JP version of Chaos Rings II unless you can read Japanese as it doesn't have English.

I don't remember there being any armored enemies in Chaos Rings Ω aside from the bosses, but it still felt like it went too far in making it difficult. I mean, it might be a pretty good mobile game, but Chaos Rings is still a game that i'm generally going to be playing when I just want to keep myself occupied for a bit. Chaos Rings 1 was perfect, because it had a good story and you could make a ton of progress in very little time without putting in too much effort. In Ω though, I found myself getting really frustrated, because levels effectively meant nothing. Enemies would hit for 700 damage at a time, while you would get 50 HP per level if you didn't have boosted genes, in which case I started getting 90 per level. So basically, to be able to absorb one more attack without issue from a boss that attacks twice per turn, I would have to grind up 8 levels, which is a process that's now difficult in and of itself. It also placed a much higher emphasis on elemental affinities, which made fighting bosses even harder because they would routinely get to move faster than you even if you're over ten levels above them, and then the spell that would've done tons of damage now does basically nothing because they used a different spell.

They might have improved that for the sequel a bit, but drat Omega really started to get on my nerves near the end. It took like seven hours to beat too, so I ended up getting a less satisfying and shorter experience from a harder game. I just wanted more mindless grinding that made me an awesome badass guy :smith:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

HR12345 posted:

I must be doing something wrong. I'm up to what you could call dungeon 3.2 on Elucha/Zhamo and a good portion of the time they're squishy.

I had the same experience. Until you hit around level 40 and you start getting levels every fight, those two seem to be the weakest couple. Not by a ton, but just enough to be noticeable.

• Locked thread