Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm actually excited to see Sutter respond to critics. Episode didn't clean up any of the CiA mess, put Clay back in the club, shoehorned Smitts in there, threw random Nomads at us in a 1 minute scene and then didn't show them again until they were the big nonsensical twist, and then set the Sons back to the same tired "on the run" story. I hope someone like Seppinwall rips it apart.

I didn't have any problem with Tig's acting. That's a messed up situation on so many levels. I mean, besides all the obvious stuff Tig has enough of a conscience to realize "this is my fault". Not to mention he just found out he killed that girl on a lie from Clay. A somewhat muted response to the inevitable kind of worked for me. That psycho's head is turned around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

His groan after Pope threw the cigar was so off that I had to rewind because I thought the sound fx people hosed something up.

It was poo poo direction. Something this show fails on time and time again. Kim Coates is not a bad actor, but Kurt is a very lovely director.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Clay making amends, wistfully flipping through photos, playing around with his bike....maybe he's a changed man? A kind, broken, regretful guy. they will never SEE IT COMING -- Sutter in his tv lab

Evil_Urna
Aug 16, 2004

Pron on VHS posted:

Clay making amends, wistfully flipping through photos, playing around with his bike....maybe he's a changed man? A kind, broken, regretful guy. they will never SEE IT COMING -- Sutter in his tv lab

Those oval office CRITICS wont see it coming. Remember Sutter is not capable of completing a sentence without the word oval office.

Also:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
IRL Tig would have torn his own hands off to get in there, I thought his reaction was a bit silly but then again.............. :SAMCRO:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Hold on, what the gently caress happened after Tig stopped by Clay's house? I thought the episode was winding down and had to go to something else.
:negative:

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
I'm rewatching entourage lately since I have been bored. Billy Walsh reminds me of Kurt Sutter, it's kind of awesome.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Why can't the CIA protect them in prison? Or just get them out for that matter? And while we're on the subject, the CIA can't get big guns for themselves? I wish this show still made sense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JohnSherman posted:

Hold on, what the gently caress happened after Tig stopped by Clay's house? I thought the episode was winding down and had to go to something else.
:negative:

- Tig and Clay blah blah blahed. Clay asked him if they were cool, Tig didn't know.

- He went to get his daughter from the cop but the cop shackled him and Pope showed up. Pope burned his daughter alive in retaliation. The cop was then to bring him in for the murder of Pope's daughter but Tig got free and killed him and cried over his daughter's body.

- Gemma and Tara argued. Blah blah blah. "He's my son, he's my husband." "They're my grandchildren, they're my sons." "I'm smarter than you, don't mess with me." Same old poo poo.

- Pope had someone accuse Jax and Chibs of killing the Niners. They deduced that it was a ploy to get them in prison so they could be killed and Pope's hands would be clean. They decided to run and Gemma took them to Jimmy Smit's whorehouse.

- The sheriff also kind of reasoned out that the Sons' warrants were orchestrated by Pope.

- We got some quick shot of Opie putting a For Sale sign on his bike.

- Unser was beaten, the victim of another home invasion. We saw that one of the attackers had a prosthetic leg and sneakers matching Greg the Peg, one of the Nomads the Sons voted in earlier in the episode.

I think that's pretty much it.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

STAC Goat posted:

The for sale sign was on Piney's trike.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

- Tig and Clay blah blah blahed. Clay asked him if they were cool, Tig didn't know.

- He went to get his daughter from the cop but the cop shackled him and Pope showed up. Pope burned his daughter alive in retaliation. The cop was then to bring him in for the murder of Pope's daughter but Tig got free and killed him and cried over his daughter's body.

- Gemma and Tara argued. Blah blah blah. "He's my son, he's my husband." "They're my grandchildren, they're my sons." "I'm smarter than you, don't mess with me." Same old poo poo.

- Pope had someone accuse Jax and Chibs of killing the Niners. They deduced that it was a ploy to get them in prison so they could be killed and Pope's hands would be clean. They decided to run and Gemma took them to Jimmy Smit's whorehouse.

- The sheriff also kind of reasoned out that the Sons' warrants were orchestrated by Pope.

- Unser was beaten, the victim of another home invasion. We saw that one of the attackers had a prosthetic leg and sneakers matching Greg the Peg, one of the Nomads the Sons voted in earlier in the episode.

I think that's pretty much it.

Holy poo poo. Thanks for the recap.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I will sign up for Twitter just to call Sutter a oval office if he actually kills off Unser.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

SAMB0 posted:

I'm rewatching entourage lately since I have been bored. Billy Walsh reminds me of Kurt Sutter, it's kind of awesome.

I wish Kurt Sutter was like Billy Walsh. With a big tattoo of Clay on his back and riding his bike through a warehouse full of half-naked Chinese women splicing lovely pieces of the 35mm film remnants he editted into the pilot, shot with an Eclair Camflex camera to get that raw, gritty look and screaming "gently caress the CUNTBLOGGERS!!" as he rides off with half a bottle of Cuervo Silver tucked into belt.

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
Ok I hate this show but the best character (Tig) got awesome scenes tonight. As long as he's alive, I'm in. Actually, besides the CIA poo poo that carried over from last season, I thought the premiere was pretty good. But I'm incredibly biased since this was my favorite show through seasons 1-2.

Trip Larsen fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 12, 2012

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
So now the Sons have 3 Hells Angels in their club. David Labrava, Sonny Barger and now Chuck Zito.

At least Kurt is trying.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Simstim posted:

Jimmy Smits agrees to harbor murder suspects for a woman he just met, putting his business in the middle of a gang war? Sure why not.

I also love how the CIA has gang contacts.

I found that pretty stupid as well. Especially after how he the companiator described what he had done to keep his business out of the spotlight earlier in the same episode.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Right but Smits and Gemma are old souls who just like a good old fashion gently caress and suck so

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Carver Crisis posted:

But I'm incredibly biased since this was my favorite show through seasons 1-2.

You and me both brother. Its hard to watch how this stuff has turned out. I was really hoping after Season 3 they were going to realize how lovely it was and start getting into some good stuff. Season 4 was somehow worse, and this new episode did not give me high hopes for the rest of this season.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2012

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

As silly as it sounds, (and not that it even matters) but I just realized something.

At one point I noticed Jimmy Smits reading the newspaper and it said something about "more home invasions in Charming" or something.

Maybe the nomads are just throwing down home invasions and they didn't realize Unser was affiliated with the club?

(Or, was Unser at Gemma/Clay's house when he was attacked? That would kind of throw my theory out the window...or maybe they were going after Clay and Unser was there instead?)

Okay...gently caress this show, it hurts my head. I guess Jax will have to figure out the truth...

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw the patented bro-walk away from the burning truck near the beginning of the episode, yet I don't see any gif of it and didn't see anyone mention it...

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I haven't watched this show since they went to Ireland, but I'm curious, what's with that gif?

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

metavisual posted:

As silly as it sounds, (and not that it even matters) but I just realized something.

At one point I noticed Jimmy Smits reading the newspaper and it said something about "more home invasions in Charming" or something.

Maybe the nomads are just throwing down home invasions and they didn't realize Unser was affiliated with the club?

No all of the home invasions were on club affiliated people. My guess is since SOA is supposed to be a huge club with thousands of members all over the country/world they decided to get together because like 5 dudes at their mother charters are acting like morons and doing stupid poo poo every day that puts all of them in danger. They all just hiried the Nomads to fix things and kill everyone.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ChesterJT posted:

Why can't the CIA protect them in prison? Or just get them out for that matter? And while we're on the subject, the CIA can't get big guns for themselves? I wish this show still made sense.

No you see because a cartel that is frequently referred to as having a paramilitary arm needs to rely on hillbilly bikers to procure guns from the Irish because ______________

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Aardark posted:

I haven't watched this show since they went to Ireland, but I'm curious, what's with that gif?

Jax is browalking unusually hard in it, that's all.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
What I found interesting after watching was the line in the previews where the CIA guy decides it may just be an idea to let the gang kill the Sons as plan B. Is this show REALLY going to go to the point of having the Sons attempt to now overthrow the CIA, the gangs, the IRA, etc?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

KidDynamite posted:

I think pretty much everyone that watched the show from the start is in the same boat. Seasons 1-2 were great and now we're stuck with poo poo and watch only to find out what's going to happen to our favorite characters.

Yep, I agree. Season 1 was pretty good and a great introduction to everyone....and Season 2 really knocked it out of the park and was loving awesome. Season 3 is pretty much universally agreed upon as complete poo poo (save for the cool finale). I thought Season 4 was better than 3, and while it was still convoluted and not that strong it ultimately took me to what I wanted to see....Clay being outed and Jax taking over the gavel (with Tara at his side).

I was excited for Season 5 so we could finally see the club become Jax's and maybe focus on some external conflict for once, but it looks to be headed into the same territory that we've already seen. The plot is complicated to the point of insanity, and I'm starting to just not give a poo poo. Everyone is going behind everyone's back, and the only people the Sons aren't at war with seemingly is the US Military.

Also, I hope Tara takes the kids and just leaves for another city. I used to love her character, but I can't stand her anymore. I think that's what annoys me the most above all else....at the end Season 4 she finally had made her choice to take Jax's side as the "queen" and embrace it. In literally the very next episode she is back to being ultra conflicted and at odds with Jax. They are both terrible parents that make awful choices, just move on already!

EDIT - In my rant I forgot to mention something. Soon to be chief Hale dying out of nowhere in Season 3 was awful and really hosed up a bunch of what they had built. Did that guy just need off the show or something? The whole relationship they bad build with him and Jax seemed very important and his death felt incredibly rushed.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 12, 2012

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST

Soothing Vapors posted:

No you see because a cartel that is frequently referred to as having a paramilitary arm needs to rely on hillbilly bikers to procure guns from the Irish because ______________

THIS IS WHAT KURT SUTTER ACTUALLY BELIEVES

dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Having the Tig scene not quite at the end of the episode really threw me off. We see an innocent girl burn to death in front of her father, and then we're immediately back with Jax/Gemma/Tara domestic arguments. We couldn't have had Tig's scene at the end? Was that twist concerning the Nomads really that important that it had to be the final shot of the episode?

This might seem nitpicking, but for violence that gratuitous (yes, there have been violent scene before but this is different for obvious reasons) I would have liked it to be treated more seriously.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I don't understand the whole Nomad thing in the episode. Maybe I missed it or it's going to be revealed but why are they beating the gently caress up out of Unser :cripes:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We don't yet - it's meant to be a big mystery. All we know is that at least one Nomad is involved in the home invasions. Unless it turns out its just an incredible coincidence that one of the home invaders has an artificial leg at the same time a Nomad with an artificial leg turns up in Charming. But this is Sons of Anarchy and something that contrived and stupid could never, ever happen

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I have to say, Tig's groans seemed... Oddly sexual. This is because it is Tig.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
I thought there would be more talk about the Goon getting patched in. I saw him with a bottom rocker.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.
I swear to god that all of the dialogue written for Jax and Tara is done by taking one of those magnetic poetry kits consisting of the words "FAMILY" "CLUB" "WORRY" "BOYS" and "TRUST" (Tara, we can TRUST our BOYS to WORRY about my CLUB because we're a FAMILY) and just throwing them at a wall. They should just stop talking to each other, they're by far the worst and most ridiculous thing about a show that's about as ridiculous as it can be because they're literally stuck in a .gif loop of themselves. There is never been any progression so what's the point?

Anyway, that was a pretty decent opener all things considered, but we normally get a pretty decent one with all the good ideas in it that Sutter scraped up during the 11 minutes he uses to write these entire seasons so I'm not holding my breath. The Tig stuff was brutal, but I also thought that his reactions were really weird along with the fact that he just sat there thinking about potatoes after it all instead of, you know, calling the club or running away or jacking off or whatever. Nope, just gonna chill in the death pit and take in the hot dog smell of cooked up daughter for a while. That's not creepy, it's just pointless.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Donny Brook posted:

I wish Kurt Sutter was like Billy Walsh. With a big tattoo of Clay on his back and riding his bike through a warehouse full of half-naked Chinese women splicing lovely pieces of the 35mm film remnants he editted into the pilot, shot with an Eclair Camflex camera to get that raw, gritty look and screaming "gently caress the CUNTBLOGGERS!!" as he rides off with half a bottle of Cuervo Silver tucked into belt.

I wish you were Kurt Sutter

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Cluricaun posted:

Anyway, that was a pretty decent opener all things considered, but we normally get a pretty decent one with all the good ideas in it that Sutter scraped up during the 11 minutes he uses to write these entire seasons so I'm not holding my breath. The Tig stuff was brutal, but I also thought that his reactions were really weird along with the fact that he just sat there thinking about potatoes after it all instead of, you know, calling the club or running away or jacking off or whatever. Nope, just gonna chill in the death pit and take in the hot dog smell of cooked up daughter for a while. That's not creepy, it's just pointless.

To be fair your mind probably isn't going to be coming up with anything in the way of logic after you just watched your daughter burn to death in front of you.

But yeah I thought his acting while it was actually happening was pretty off.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
So the Sons are once again facing off against a powerful crime boss whose public persona is that of a well-connected businessman who strikes at the club by committing a horrible crime against a female loved one. Only now the difference being is that he's black. I guess so Sutter can say something edgy and provocative about race.

This is going to be a long season.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

spixxor posted:

To be fair your mind probably isn't going to be coming up with anything in the way of logic after you just watched your daughter burn to death in front of you.

I get that, but whatever director said "Now give me blase contemplation right here" is a damned odd director.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

11b1p posted:

I thought there would be more talk about the Goon getting patched in. I saw him with a bottom rocker.

Tig's daughter burning to death kinda took the wind out of those sails.

But yes, I am incredibly loving happy that he is finally patched in. It was one of Kurt Sutter's better decisions.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Hopefully Clay buys Piney's old tricycle and then like rides it by Opie's house every night tooting the horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Clay -> Piney transformation is hilarious. Like, nothing should perfectly capture how much Sutter is a writing hack than that. I can only assume Clay not being able to support the bike is directly leading to the Piney three wheeler. Its just so hilarious that I'm pretty sure SOA is turning into a comedy.

You know, if the show hadn't burned an innocent girl alive.

• Locked thread