Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Adrianics posted:

Just reading all the liveblogs, reactions and articles today has been utterly exhausting, and I'm genuinely on the verge of tears at work.
It's somewhat of a relief to know that I'm not the only one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Timbers Jim posted:

yeah he basically said "haha I'm not sorry at all"

as he tied a woman to a train track

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

quote:

All I did wrong there was tell the truth. There was a surge of Liverpool fans who had been drinking and that is what caused the disaster. The only thing different we did was put it under the headline "The Truth". I went on The World at One the next day and apologised. I only did that because Rupert Murdoch told me to. I wasn't sorry then and I'm not sorry now because we told the truth.

- Kelvin Mackenzie, 2006

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Babby Thatcher posted:

- Kelvin Mackenzie, 2006

What a disgusting piece of poo poo.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Babby Thatcher posted:

imo bring back the death penalty but only for media editorial staff that have repeatedly called for the return of the death penalty

You couldn't make it up

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
People are scum.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Kelvin MacKenzie just offered his 'profuse apology'.
Offered through his PA. The man is scum.

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

ROCK AND ROLL IS FULL OF BAD WOOLS

(Everton's club shop)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I mean, it's not as if you're talking about a newspaper editor who printed one incorrect story as an error of judgement; he's been the cheerleader for "print whatever, sell papers, it's all a big loving laugh, yeah" for years

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

"three family members fainted when they heard some of the dead might have been saved"

:(

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Thirteenth Step posted:

"three family members fainted when they heard some of the dead might have been saved"

:(

41 people. They were simply left there to die.

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

It wouldn't surprise me if Mackenzie was somewhat grateful he's in the public spotlight (even if it is for all the wrong reasons). BBC needs to drop him like a sack of shite.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How the gently caress did he get a BBC job

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Scott Bakula posted:

Due to the unique way the BBC is funded, the number of cunts given air-time must be balanced against the number of non-cunts given airtime

It's the same reason Melanie Phillips keeps getting invited on Question Time over more rational, moderate voices, such as David Icke

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
from the guardian liveblog

http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/repository/SYP000000020001.html

quote:

The crush continued not abating, I remember a policeman jumping onto the caging and perimeter wall and shouting to get back and making pushing gestures at the crowd. This was impossible ... At this point the man on my right hand side, I didn't know him, was obviously unconscious, I couldn't see too clearly as it was even difficult to move your head. Anyway this man had his head backwards but I was unable to move to assist him ...

The next thing I realised was I fell backwards from the pressure at the front. I was trapped from about waist deep with arms and legs and bodies. I looked to my right where the man who was unconscious was and saw he was lying on his back,his eyes wide open with just the whites of his eyes showing, his eyes having rolled backwards. I thought the man was dead at this point and I leant over, pinched his nose, tilted his head back and tried to give him the kiss of life. After a while I lent up, slapped him across the face to try and get some response, but was unable to do so. I remember looking around and behind me and I could see there were about seven policemen standing around not doing anything ...I screamed at one policeman to help me saying "Get this guy out, I think he's dead." ...

I have heard stories in the press but I can say I saw nothing which I would class as a criminal offence before or after the crush ...My opinion is that I realise what's been said in the press about the reasons for opening the gate but that situation should never have arrived if people had been organised into queues and there was better policing outside the ground.

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

He plays the "controversial pundit" role on Newsnight to counter the left/liberal side of the panels, which usually descends into him spewing more disgusting poo poo out of his mouth.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

The Sun was too misled :qq: if you don't believe it don't loving do the report??? Idiots

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Kelvin McKenzie posted:

Today I offer my profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool for that headline. I too was totally misled. Twenty three ago I was handed a piece of copy from a reputable news agency in Sheffield in which a senior police officer and a senior local MP were making serious allegations against fans in the stadium. I had absolutely no reason to believe that these authority figures would lie and deceive over such a disaster.
Yes, authority figures leaking information that exonerates said authority figures is not remotely suspicious and completely trustworthy. McKenzie is an disgusting human being and I'm glad no one buys his apology.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Draw and quarter MacKenzie for fucks sake.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

yeah it's a good thing that no other information came out between then and 2006 when you decided to do a little dance about how clever you were

the way you know you're a oval office is when literally Piers Morgan has more integrity than you do

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Scott Bakula posted:

they get shouted at by idiots for having a 'left wing bias' because they sometimes have idiot liberals like polly toynbee on, so make up for this by booking in a load of tossers from miles to the right of the political centre - another example is how often they get the Taxpayers Alliance on, and how they uncritically describe them as if they were an actual Taxpayers' group (literally none of their board pay UK tax)

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Draw and quarter MacKenzie for fucks sake.

I just went and read his wikipedia page because I hadn't heard of any of the other controversial things he had said / written and hooolllyyyy shhhiiiittt this guy is as bad as they get right...?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_MacKenzie

The fact that the BBC could go out and give a guy like that a job is ludicrous.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

sc0tty posted:

I just went and read his wikipedia page because I hadn't heard of any of the other controversial things he had said / written and hooolllyyyy shhhiiiittt this guy is as bad as they get right...?

MacKenzie was a supporter of Charlton Athletic F.C. for 12 years but switched allegiance to Queens Park Rangers after Charlton's relegation from The Championship in 2009. He lives in Weybridge, Surrey.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

quote:

The statement by PC Maxwell Groome was one of "those most extensively altered" the report found.

The following material was deleted from his original account:"The decision to replace Chief Superintendent Mole before the semi-final needs to come under some scrutiny. This man had many years experience of policing big matches at Hillsborough.

Compared to other semi-finals held at Hillsborough, the organisation of this event was poor, as has been the case for most of the season. Too little notice had been taken of current trends and football intelligence and too much reliance has been placed upon previous information held.

Too many non-operational supervisory officers were in charge of important and critical parts of the football ground.

The deployment of officers around the crucial time needs to come under scrutiny, too many were sat around in the gymnasium whilst others were rushed off their feet."

He also wrote originally: "It was noticeable that the only supervisory officers above the rank of Inspector on the pitch were Chief Inspectors Beal and Sumner and Superintendent Greenwood. Certain supervisory officers were conspicuous by their absence. It was utter chaos."

This was changed to: "On the pitch were Chief Inspectors Beal and Sumner and Superintendent Greenwood."

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Just came here to post that.

See, the thing is, as good a man as Maxwell Groome is, he didn't scream at the top of his lungs "that's not what I loving said" when the coroner's inquest was published or when he was asked to ammend the statement.

To be honest I'm not sure the officers amended their own statements, if they did, then the next enquiry is going to have some pretty nasty poo poo about what threats were made for them to do this. To go from "it was utter chaos" to "the scousers were pissed" 164 times needs a pretty big stick.

Edit : To clarify I'm not implying the coppers would need extra arm twisting because of their outstanding commitment to justice, but even during the 80s and into the 90s you still saw some serious corruption in the police force. I know a copper who's boss took a leave of absence to contest an accusation of murder which everyone knew he was guilty of and once exonerated came back to his job. What the gently caress can you do if your boss can beat a fairly nailed-on murder accusation and he asks you to cover poo poo up.

DickEmery fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 12, 2012

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Incredible.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
Apologies for my dumb question earlier. Honestly only knew the broad strokes of the whole "The Truth" article saga and assumed it was a lot more cut and dry than it was. Having looked at everything now, whoa, gently caress this Mackenzie guy.

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

sc0tty posted:

The fact that the BBC could go out and give a guy like that a job is ludicrous.

Not to derail too much (as you could have an entire thread full of Mackenzie's oval office-ness) but this is the sort of stuff he's responsible for...

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Here's the Sun article on the new report:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4534061/Hillsborough-report-Cops-did-not-protect-victims-and-blamed-fans.html

Disgusting cunts posted:

Kelvin MacKenzie, who was the editor of The Sun at the time of the Hillsborough tragedy and who wrote the headline The Truth, today offered his “profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool for that headline”.
Mr MacKenzie added: “It has taken more than two decades, 400,000 documents and a two-year inquiry to discover to my horror that it would have far more accurate had I written the headline The Lies rather than The Truth. I published in good faith and I am sorry that it was so wrong.”
In 2004, The Sun printed an apology over its reporting of the Hillsborough disaster, describing the article as the worst mistake in its history.

is all they've got about their own part in it, which is a very small part of the whole article.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Babby Thatcher posted:

bozza legernd!! top lad!!!!

the most ridiculous part is how 96 (not exactly an obscure figure) becomes "more than 50"

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I Had Sex Once posted:

the most ridiculous part is how 96 (not exactly an obscure figure) becomes "more than 50"

It's a not so subtle downplay of the number of deaths. Over 50 sounds less than almost one hundred or the exact figure of 96.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Ninpo posted:

It's a not so subtle downplay of the number of deaths. Over 50 sounds less than almost one hundred or the exact figure of 96.

I realise this, my point was when the exact figure is so well-known it's just blatant

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This is all horrifying.

It's so difficult to believe that I could go to a game, die in a terrible accident, and be blamed for my own death (for supposedly being a drunk hooligan) for 23 years before there was any official recognition of the truth.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Leveson Enquiry thread has taught me to never underestimate the corruption of the police. One thing I don't quite understand though, why was the gate opened to let in more fans when the stand was already over capacity? Do these new documents say any reason?

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
It was getting over crowded in the turn style area where you get your ticket checked and sent off to the correct terrace, so the police chief said to open the side gate leading into the area where there was the tunnel leading onto the center terrace.

Nobody thought to organise the police to stop everyone just walking down the tunnel like they did causing the over crowding of the one terrace instead of everyone being split between the few terraced areas.

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...
Honestly, couldn't have said it better:

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004
I am honestly surprised there hasn't been a more violent backlash over the years or attempts at assassinations/hits/attacks. I say that in a non joking manner. I guess that is what sets Americans apart from Europeans. Sad day for sure though :{

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Been listening on 5 Live. This completely transcends football and any rivalries. I'm utterly disgusted and find myself feeling ashamed just because someone loving should. I can't believe the families of 96 people have had to live for 23 years being told and having to read utterly disgusting lies about their loved ones, being unable to grieve and move on.

Hearing the names read out and hearing the ages, 13, 15, early 20s, some families losing multiple children...it's horrifying.

Heads should loving roll, but they won't. It's been too long and this government is the wrong colour to grow a spine and actually do anything meaningful. The News of the World isn't the only paper that should be hosed off forever.

gently caress this planet. I hope at the very least the families and friends of the 96 and those involved in the justice campaign can finally start to take some solace.

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Ninpo posted:

Been listening on 5 Live. This completely transcends football and any rivalries. I'm utterly disgusted and find myself feeling ashamed just because someone loving should. I can't believe the families of 96 people have had to live for 23 years being told and having to read utterly disgusting lies about their loved ones, being unable to grieve and move on.

Hearing the names read out and hearing the ages, 13, 15, early 20s, some families losing multiple children...it's horrifying.

Heads should loving roll, but they won't. It's been too long and this government is the wrong colour to grow a spine and actually do anything meaningful. The News of the World isn't the only paper that should be hosed off forever.

gently caress this planet. I hope at the very least the families and friends of the 96 and those involved in the justice campaign can finally start to take some solace.

This sums up my thoughts exactly, I mean we all suspected some things had been cooked, but not to this degree. The worst bit, the thing I really can't get my head around, is the amount of people that could have been saved after this magic 3:15 time, there is so much blood on the hands of whichever bastards made that decision to not allow any assistance or medical help to enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who is the coroner? If they're still alive it will be interesting to see what they say about it since they are most hosed as it stands

• Locked thread