Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TyChan posted:

Would any government arising after the Taylor Report be privy to the cover up? I can see how the governments after 1990 were all culpable for not listening to the families sooner and pressing for full disclosure of the information, but that's slightly different than being privy to what the South Yorkshire police swept under the rug.
The subsequent Tory and Labour governments, while they may not have been privy to the cover-up, had the records there in the House of Lords. They were only opened because of the work done by Andy Burnham, Steve Rotherham, and all the others who have campaigned. There was no need for the Government to wait ~20 years to look at the records.

Ninpo posted:

This is confusing me...if there was already a report exonerating the fans and damning the police, what's the missing link?
There was, essentially, gently caress all done about it. Lord Taylor merely made recommendations on how to prevent similar disasters in future, which is how we have fancy all-seater stadiums filled with families eating prawn sandwiches.

Duckenfield was given an early retirement for health reasons and was never charged with anything. Some other police who were on the scene that day were given compensation for mental trauma they suffered. The families were lucky if they got victims' funerals paid for.

The version of events pushed by the SYP had done a lot of damage, too. I mean, there are still people on Twitter today attributing some blame to drunken, ticketless fans.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ninpo posted:

This is confusing me...if there was already a report exonerating the fans and damning the police, what's the missing link?

I believe the gist of it is essentially just a massive release of government paperwork relating to Hillsborough and analysis thereof. I think the families have always believed that there was foul play and there'd be something in these documents that would force someone to take responsibility for what happened. I still don't believe there is, but that's not really the point.

The Taylor Report took witness statements, and then came to the conclusion that the police had failed to manage the crowd properly, the stadium (and most others) was fundamentally unsafe, yadda yadda yadda. As I say, those things were all really known before. He didn't look at who'd said what to which newspaper in the aftermath, because that was neither here nor there. He established what caused the disaster and then went home.

The information that's coming out today is mostly about the actions of the police and the government behind the scenes in the wake of the disaster. I believe I mentioned earlier today, the only truly significant item I see outside of that is for them to look at the autopsy record and throw out the 3.15pm cut-off.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

irlZaphod posted:

The subsequent Tory and Labour governments, while they may not have been privy to the cover-up, had the records there in the House of Lords. They were only opened because of the work done by Andy Burnham, Steve Rotherham, and all the others who have campaigned. There was no need for the Government to wait ~20 years to look at the records.

To be fair, I heard the number earlier put at "400,000 documents". To be honest, that sounds like crap, but I can certainly see that Jack Straw's first priority on taking office was not "bring me a ham roll and a big bin full of stuff from the 80s that'll take six months to read". If you were going to do it, you need to set up a panel and do it properly.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

To be fair, I heard the number earlier put at "400,000 documents". To be honest, that sounds like crap, but I can certainly see that Jack Straw's first priority on taking office was not "bring me a ham roll and a big bin full of stuff from the 80s that'll take six months to read". If you were going to do it, you need to set up a panel and do it properly.
That's what I mean. Jack Straw just stuck the 10 boxes in the library, with no real intention to do anything about them. When was that, 95 or so? The HIP was only set up in 2010 after years of campaigning.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TyChan posted:

The findings of the Taylor Report were not extensive enough to undo the damage of the initial cover-up on perceptions of who was at fault and it fed into the narrative of the disaster happening due to "unfortunate mistakes at the wrong time by well-meaning people dealing with a broken football system," which allowed the police to escape due scrutiny for so long.

Ah I see.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

That's what I mean. Jack Straw just stuck the 10 boxes in the library, with no real intention to do anything about them. When was that, 95 or so? The HIP was only set up in 2010 after years of campaigning.

97 iirc.

"Things can only get better", remember.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So apart from not prosecuting attendees and the practically halving of the capacity of top flight stadia, the Taylor enquiry was pretty much ignored?

Am I overreacting or does it seem like English football as it is today is completely tainted by all this?

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Wasn't this also the justification for no alcohol in sight of the pitch?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Well since today revealed one of the biggest cover ups in British history the morning papers will probably be something to take note of. Let's see shall we:

The Mail go with the 96 faces, powerful

The Star give some real estate to the royals but ok

The Independent do a wonderful job

The Times, simple

The Guardian, it really was a day of reckoning

The Mirror is my pick, excellent

The Independent pick a powerful image (notice no police helping)

But then the Express makes me arch both eyebrows and do several 360's

But you must always save the best for last, and ahahahahahahahahah the loving Telegraph, gently caress you, burn

There's a front page I did not post and I ask you not to post it either because there's nothing to be said about that rag.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

T. Mascis posted:

Well since today revealed one of the biggest cover ups in British history the morning papers will probably be something to take note of. Let's see shall we:

But you must always save the best for last, and ahahahahahahahahah the loving Telegraph, gently caress you, burn

Just to add to how utterly hosed that is;

The FT manage to find some space on their front page to cover the report;

And even the New York Times manages to have it feature as well.

For the Telegraph to do that is baffling to be honest.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
congrats to the Torygraph for continuing to be a bunch of dicks

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

serious gaylord posted:

Please note I'm not defending the sun, this is important because they're loving disgusting and what they did after their claims were pointed out to be pure fabrication is disgusting and should go die in the same hole as the news of the world.

But not a single journalist working for one of the big papers/news services would disbelieve a cohesive statement from all members of the police they were talking to.

If this happened today, the world would know from all the mobile phone pictures and the availability of witnesses to the internet, but back then journalists had essentially the police and football fans to turn to.

Football fans who were being demonised because of the hooliganism that made this exact story so easy to believe.

Reading the report, it comes across that every question to the authorities came back with the same answers. That the fans were animals, fighting and doing everything they could to stop the emergency services. I can see how a journalist could think he had the story of his life infront of him, and then it all getting carried away when politics got involved.

We all know thats bollocks now, and the Sun should have retracted it as soon as they loving could mind, but I had always assumed the Sun had just made all of it up on their own, which while eminently believable, seems rather false now.

and yet every other newspaper in the uk either saw through the bullshit or reported the dodgy police claims as claims. The Sun were unique in not holding them up to basic scrutiny and unique in labelling their slander of corpses as 'The Truth'

also death to the telegraph, even more so than every other day

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's like the mail and express swapped roles

Is it naive that I am actually surprised by the telegraph

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
It's frustrating that despite this report I'm having to argue with idiots on other forums who are outraged that the fans have been exonerated. Like "oh yeah the police were obv wrong to cover it up but have you considered that maybe the fans were responsible?!!!". They keep going on about drunk ticketless scousers pushing forward despite the screams and I want to throw them under a bus.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 13, 2012

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Ninpo posted:

So apart from not prosecuting attendees and the practically halving of the capacity of top flight stadia, the Taylor enquiry was pretty much ignored?

The Taylor Report wasn't ignored, but it was working with an incomplete body of evidence affected by the cover-up perpetrated by the police and the authorities and much of the despicable actions by the authorities was in reaction to the report.

For example, after the Taylor Report came out and the resulting inquests, you got the false designation of the victims' times of death and "insufficient evidence" of police misconduct came out, which at that time curtailed any potential for finding the authorities criminally negligent. Details such as the alcohol and criminal history checks also weren't known then.

Also, only later did researchers gradually find out things like the existence of CCTV footage from a camera that was supposedly not working at the time and other bits and pieces of testimony that slowly chipped away at the police's depiction of what happened.

As much as I would otherwise not ask someone to read the Mirror, Brian Reade has a pretty good summary of how the Taylor Report falls into the sequence of events Cameron apologized for: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/hillsborough-documents-released-brian-reade-1318730#.UFBpaqTZKF0.twitter

quote:

[Am I overreacting or does it seem like English football as it is today is completely tainted by all this?

I don't think football's tainted, but a lot of people in positions of power and trust definitely are and it's going to be even more maddening when people who don't care to be informed about the truth parrot the sentiments of people like Kevin Mackenzie and Boris Johnson.

I like to think the Taylor Report and English football's moves to adopt its recommendations made football safer, at least.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 13, 2012

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Painkiller posted:

It's frustrating that despite this report I'm having to argue with idiots on other forums who are outraged that the fans have been exonerated. Like "oh yeah the police were obv wrong to cover it up but have you considered that maybe the fans were responsible?!!!". They keep going on about drunk ticketless scousers pushing forward despite the screams and I want to throw them under a bus.

I think there will always be this weird core convinced of that but one of the panelists literally said there were absolutely no "information gaps" at all, this is as loving Fact as Fact can get here, they have a record of everything that happened on the day.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Painkiller posted:

Those are the same type of people that claim the US government is responsible for 9/11, Jews run Hollywood, the moon landing was faked etc. It won't matter what facts you show them, they will cling to their conspiracy theories all the tighter in the face of overwhelming evidence because it would shatter their worldview to admit they're wrong.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This is so incredibly hosed up, beyond the normal lies and corruption that characterize most governments.

I really hope those who were guilty for this injustice burn and the families can finally get justice and closure.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Painkiller posted:

I've seen a lot of posts like that recently and I don't even bother replying. People like that will never care.

I'm really glad this info is all out now and look forward to an inquest.

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!
Front page of the New York Times, center of the left column:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lovely Fuckboy posted:

Those are the same type of people that claim the US government is responsible for 9/11, Jews run Hollywood, the moon landing was faked etc. It won't matter what facts you show them, they will cling to their conspiracy theories all the tighter in the face of overwhelming evidence because it would shatter their worldview to admit they're wrong.

Pretty much, people are loving stupid. Proof being a Liverpool fan buying the Sun at a shop I was just at.

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 13, 2012

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Scott Bakula posted:

Pretty much, people are loving stupid. Proof being a Liverpool fan buying the Sun at a shop I was just at.

I've gone on about this a few times but the Liverpool fan in my office buys the Sun everyday and always got arsey when I pulled him up on this particular contradiction in loyalties. Today's copy is on his desk. Here's hoping he finally Gets It.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

britishbornandbread posted:

I've gone on about this a few times but the Liverpool fan in my office buys the Sun everyday and always got arsey when I pulled him up on this particular contradiction in loyalties. Today's copy is on his desk. Here's hoping he finally Gets It.

Print out that front page and put it next to it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This one got called out by the woman serving him and his response was "I need to do the crossword" as if there aren't crosswords in every other paper and then that reporters are paid to write this poo poo. This was only moments after he was being casually racist though so maybe I should have expected it

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

serious gaylord posted:

Print out that front page and put it next to it.

More than I need to do in all honesty. He's a bit plastic but he's been to a few games every season - the paper he buys every week says that the people he's stood with robbed and pissed on the dead. Yet he still buys it and is unrepentant about it. I literally can't get my head around that.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Scott Bakula posted:

This one got called out by the woman serving him and his response was "I need to do the crossword" as if there aren't crosswords in every other paper and then that reporters are paid to write this poo poo. This was only moments after he was being casually racist though so maybe I should have expected it

TBF the only way to get The Telegraph crypic is to buy the newspaper.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Cross-posting from the UK politics thread:

This newspaper clipping is doing the rounds, purported to be written by Kelvin MacKenzie in 1988, can anyone confirm if it's real or not?

https://www.bloggerheads.com/archives/2012/09/kelvin-mackenzie/

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 13, 2012

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Loonytoad Quack posted:

This newspaper clipping is doing the rounds, purported to be written by Kelvin MacKenzie in 1988, can anyone confirm if it's real or not?

It was posted a few pages back. Allegedly it was written by Mackenzie.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The FA released a statement this morning

http://www.thefa.com/News/2012/sep/hillsborough-independent-panel.aspx

quote:

"Having thoroughly reviewed yesterday's report in full, The Football Association would like to commend the Hillsborough Independent Panel for their exhaustive and professional work.

"It is also important that The FA recognises the tireless commitment shown by so many, particularly the Hillsborough Family Support Group.

"We welcome the publication of the report and the subsequent comments of the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.

"The FA reiterates its deep and ongoing sadness at the dreadful events that unfolded on 15 April 1989.

"The organisation's thoughts at this time remains with the families of all those who lost their lives in such terrible circumstances, as well as everyone connected with the City of Liverpool.

"For 23 years the families have suffered unbearable pain, and we have profound sympathy for this.

"The FA has cooperated fully with the Panel throughout this process and has released all documentation in line with their request.

"The FA and English football has changed immeasurably, and has learnt many lessons in the last 23 years. Through advancements in safety and investment in facilities English football is now a much safer, more welcoming environment for supporters.”

Way to stand up and take responsibility for your part in the disaster, guys.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: ^^ it's amazing how people are paid money to write press statements and can't even manage to loving apologise properly. Or at all, in this case.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

It's real.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Ninpo posted:

e: ^^ it's amazing how people are paid money to write press statements and can't even manage to loving apologise properly. Or at all, in this case.

That's exactly the point though, unfortunately. They don't want to take responsibility, but have to say something. It's the PR version of "I'm sorry you got offended by what I said".

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I just sent a mail to the FA telling them that their comment is awful and they need to come up with an actual apology for their part in the disaster. It won't do a drat thing but it felt good to do.

I sent it to editor@thefa.com to avoid having to register on their site and use their contact form, in case anyone wants to do the same.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Did the Telegraph really print nothing about this on their cover? Could it just be the case that they have a much earlier publishing time or something? It seems unlikely that a newspaper, partisan or not, would intentionally miss covering such a major event.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The final print is late, something like 10pm for most papers. Remember they almost always cover late kick off times during week days for football matches

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Did the Telegraph really print nothing about this on their cover? Could it just be the case that they have a much earlier publishing time or something? It seems unlikely that a newspaper, partisan or not, would intentionally miss covering such a major event.

They relegated it to the sports pages.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Vegetable posted:

The telegraph do a separate daily supplement for sports and their cover of that is a big 'The Truth' thing.

In the main paper it's on page 6 which is ridiculous.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Mash posted:

I just sent a mail to the FA telling them that their comment is awful and they need to come up with an actual apology for their part in the disaster. It won't do a drat thing but it felt good to do.

I sent it to editor@thefa.com to avoid having to register on their site and use their contact form, in case anyone wants to do the same.

My email to the FA posted:

Subject: Your Hillsborough press release"
The statement made by the FA today was utterly reprehensible in how you completely dodged issuing any apology with regard to the FA's involvement and culpability in the Hillsborough disaster. Has it slipped everyone's mind that you knowingly gave the go ahead for a semi final at a stadium that did not meet the safety requirements?

To put this into perspective, the dismal newspaper The Sun has managed to display more humility than this. That's a pretty new low for the FA.

If there's any sincerity in that half hearted press released at all, it should be retracted and replaced with an actual and honest apology. After everything that came to light on the 12th of September, there's no room for continued dodging of responsibility in this matter.

One hopes you will come to your senses, although I will not hold my breath.

Won't do anything but meh.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Here's a deeply unhinged article from seethingly bitter ex-games journalist Stu Campbell, calling the people stuck in the crush "murderers".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Painkiller posted:

What people are told first sticks in the memory, and a study suggested that people believe things more strongly when they find out that there's strong evidence against it. It's part of the reason why the police and government are always so quick to issue a press release, even if it turns out to be obviously and deliberately misleading - eg. de Menezes, Tomlinson, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Apparently Bernstein is/was supposed to be making a broadcast statement at noon. I haven't seen anything about it, though.

Also Sheffield Wednesday looked for compensation from the FA over lost revenue due to the semi-final being "cancelled" lmao are they loving serious. I'd bet good money that there were brown envelopes involved in moving the semi-finals back to Hillsborough in 87.

• Locked thread