Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

FighterKnuckles posted:

One thing I know for sure though, was my mother went to school with a kid named Dusty Rhodes. No one believed it apparently, and in high school he actually brought his birth certificate with him to prove that was his name.

My high school wrestling coach is named Dusty Rhodes. He was a national champion wrestler for a local Division III program. Dude was the poo poo.

At an old job, there was a foreign student named Yu Suk Wang. Don't know what he went by for his English name.

At the same school, there were a couple of girls with the surname "Goodenough," but that's not terribly uncommon in the northeast.

There was a young lady who scored 67 points in a basketball game here in Iowa in 1972. Her name is Fonda Dicks. Yup.

E: removed "Proof" link so it wouldn't potentially run afoul of "internet detective" stuff

Eat This Glob has a new favorite as of 22:33 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Joanna Faulkner?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Hirudo posted:

I knew a guy named Zebulon.

Third from last Tribe of Israel. This thread needs to learn some Old Testament. :colbert:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I ran into a few weird names at my last job:

Ima Fountain

Remington Steele

Orangejello and Lemonjello (twins or someone was lying to us)
Edit: I'll accept that they were lying. It was a doctor's office and it was not uncommon to get falsified info, but I met them (toddlers, mind you) and their mother. This was maybe 6 years ago.

But my favorite is a girl I went to high school with: Drew Peacock

Ommin has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Sep 14, 2012

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The answer to the Lemonjello and Orangejello question is yes. Someone is always lying to you.

My dad told me the Lemonjello/Orangejello story, passing it off as his own, when I was a kid.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Someone my girlfriend went to high school with named her son Jaxs.

The valedictorian of my high school class was a girl named Nazi, and I also went to school with a Stankila (her parents' names were Stan and Kila).

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Dec 10, 2017

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Peanut President posted:

I have some family somewhere who's three kids were named Bric, Brac, and Broc. Bric, Brac, and Broc Dike. :allears: Indiana.

There's a group of siblings from my hometown named Skiff, Surf, Shell, Sand, and Sun. The 60s were a fun time.

quote:

Also I've never met him but there's a famous NASCAR driver named Dick Trickle.

Also, the Indy racer Will Power who has the coolest name ever.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
I have known both an Alpha and an Omega. When I introduced them to one another I half expected the universe to implode.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
My high school accounting teacher's first name is F.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
On the tragic end of the scale:

On the somehow awesome end of the scale:

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
My dad was in the computer business early on, and brought me a poorly photocopied paper written by one Sudhur Dikshit. Of course, Indian names, etc., but that's one I'd hate to bring to America.

Had a kid in my class once whose name was pronounced "Bonner", because pronouncing it with one N like it was written was a no-go. :)

Fake Edit: A recent mention of Dr. Dikshit:
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2010-02-06/news/28391757_1_keyboard-mice-gestures

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
A girl in college told me she was going to name her baby Bellazandra Sunshine.

I once saw the name Persempathy, as though Persophone and Empathy had a child.

My personal favorite name, that I swear is real: I Am The Ocean. She changed her name to that. No I do not know why.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I worked with a woman named Summer. Her sisters were named Rainy, Breezy, and Sunshine. I met them. Summer named her daughter Canyon Rain.

Another former coworker keeps having unplanned pregnancies and gives them terrible names. Robyn wasn't so bad, but was followed by Temyia, Malik, and Terna.

My knocked-up little sister plans to name her son Enuck.

My mother, a respiratory therapist, swears she saw a child in the maternity ward named A-a, pronounced "Adasha." Not totally sure I believe her but I wouldn't rule it out at this point.

One of the performers from Garfunkel and Oates has the last name Micucci, pronounced like "my cootchie." That must've been fun in middle school.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
As I said before, most of the Native American names here are pretty normal, but I felt bad for the dude I saw today with a surname of Coming Hag.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Dienes posted:

Another former coworker keeps having unplanned pregnancies and gives them terrible names. Robyn wasn't so bad, but was followed by Temyia, Malik, and Terna.

My knocked-up little sister plans to name her son Enuck.

Malik's a real name. I have a co-worker whose first name is Malik, and there's a character in Deus Ex: HR with the last name Malik.

Also just correct your sister, it's spelt Enoch, which I think is a pretty good name. I mean, unless she's one of those weird people who wants to take an already nearly unused name (howmanyofme reports just under 8K people) and make it even more "speshul".

Inco has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Sep 15, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's a guy with an extremely non-terrible name, and his own Wikipedia page to prove it: Manley Power.

His name with the associated titles and honorifics is Admiral Sir Manley Laurence Power, KCB, CBE, DSO & Bar, DL :pirate:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

How did this thread go all this time without mentioning the hilarious and awesome Marijuana Pepsi Sawyer-Jackson? Best part is, she insists on going by her given name, and from the sound of it she's actually a pretty respectable woman with a good head on her shoulders :)

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The most smartass name I've ever heard was 好玩儿予 in my Chinese class. Not legally binding but still pretty terrible.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
DQuan and EQuan.

They were twin brothers.

Monkey Hat
Jul 22, 2007

It's all the rage.
I had a friend in elementary school named Aspen and knew another girl named Brandy Alexander.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Incoherent Moron posted:

Malik's a real name. I have a co-worker whose first name is Malik, and there's a character in Deus Ex: HR with the last name Malik.

Also just correct your sister, it's spelt Enoch, which I think is a pretty good name. I mean, unless she's one of those weird people who wants to take an already nearly unused name (howmanyofme reports just under 8K people) and make it even more "speshul".

Didn't know about Malik, cool to know. Still sounds like an evil sorcerer name, though.

Sister isn't talking to the family current as my mom didn't agree to adopt the baby, so I guess a mis-spelled baby name is her punishment.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dienes posted:

Didn't know about Malik, cool to know. Still sounds like an evil sorcerer name, though.

Common name of Islamic origin, if I'm not mistaken.

I have insomnia and am three years old, so I did some sleuthing on How Many of Me.

- They have one listing for a "Seymour Butts," although whitepages.com says there are six.

- There are 7,845 people in the U.S. with the last name Butt. (I know this is an Indian (?) name, but it's a great example of Does Not Translate.)

- There are 5,722 people in the U.S. with the last name Finger. (Hopefully, they don't marry a Butt and become Mr. or Mrs. Butt-Finger.)

- There are 14,147 people in the U.S. with the first name Fanny. (A good example of bad translation within English itself!)

- There are 2,345 people in the U.S. with the last name Boner.

- There are 2 people in the U.S. named Harry Bottom.

- There is 1 person in the U.S. named Ivana Wang.

- There is 1 person in the U.S. named Clarissa Darling.

All right all right!

- There are 89 people in the U.S. named Edward Cullen.

- There are 1,009 people in the U.S. named James Kirk.

- There are 21 people in the U.S. named Anita Dick.

I need a nap.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
I wanted to name my daughter Bathsheba, you guys would probably think that's weird. It's another Old Testament name, but my wife said no. We settled on one of the more common names.

My wife did go to High School with a Shanda Leer, her parents surname was Leer (or maybe Lear) and they decided their daughter should be named Shanda.

One place I worked we had a database of clients whom were primarily from the deep south. As it turns out there were three Boogers in the database. Booger Fuller became our go to test case name because we were figurative children.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My GP is lovely women named Dr. Stubbs. She's a fantastic doctor with a large urban practice, a professor at U of T, and all around awesome person.

Her brother, also named Dr. Stubbs, brought the art of penis enlargement surgery to North America after studying the phalloplasty in China under Dr. Long.

I am not making this poo poo up. Also :nws: if you go clicking further into the site.

On the less bizarre end of the spectrum, I went to elementary school with two sisters who had recently immigrated to Canada from China. They were 2 and 3 when they moved, so their parents picked their Anglicized names. The elder sister, Julie, was one of my best friends all through school. Her younger sister, Ian Cowpie was a hair eating weirdo no one would hang out with. 

IAN COWPIE! What were her parents thinking? They were both completely fluent in English prior to even moving to Canada, so I don't know what the gently caress. 

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Phykilikaydeniciaaliceuniqeuia. I swear to God. She went by Denicia but :drat:

Fifteen of Many has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Sep 15, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you've got certain names, you've gotta have thick skin to enlist in the Navy.

There was a Seaman Guzzler at DLI when I was there. That's a girl with a sense of humor. I mean, it isn't like she couldn't have joined another branch of the service and avoided it altogether.

I remember a Petty Officer Sample, too. So, at some point he got promoted out of it, but it must have been fun while it lasted.

In my Chinese kids' English classes, I had in one class, briefly, kids nicknamed (by their parents, who AFAIK did not know each other) "Pipi" (pronounced "pee pee") and "Dudu" (pronounced "doo doo"). I had a half-suppressed smirk on my face the whole time.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

VideoTapir posted:

If you've got certain names, you've gotta have thick skin to enlist in the Navy.

There was a Seaman Guzzler at DLI when I was there. That's a girl with a sense of humor. I mean, it isn't like she couldn't have joined another branch of the service and avoided it altogether.

I remember a Petty Officer Sample, too. So, at some point he got promoted out of it, but it must have been fun while it lasted.

You and everyone else.

The best last names for Basic Training are Gay, High, and anything so long they have to switch to a smaller font to make your name tapes (Chryssanthokopolous)

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

bringmyfishback posted:

(Hopefully, they don't marry a Butt and become Mr. or Mrs. Butt-Finger.)

My good friend last name Wacker married a lady last name Johnson. They hyphenated.
Her name tag at work is Mrs. Johnson-Wacker.

Also, my daughter had a classmate named Long Wang though it was pronounced something like Lung Won.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

dee eight posted:

My good friend last name Wacker married a lady last name Johnson. They hyphenated.
Her name tag at work is Mrs. Johnson-Wacker.

Also, my daughter had a classmate named Long Wang though it was pronounced something like Lung Won.

"a" in Asian languages is almost always as in "father." For that matter, in pretty much all major languages that aren't English.

And "u" is usually as in "dude." Knowing anything about foreign pronunciation really ruins a lot of the foreign name examples.

redmercer posted:

You and everyone else.

Seen 'em with my own eyes. Does the Navy attract these people, are there a bunch of them running around, or what?

VideoTapir has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Sep 15, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Yesterday I met a man playing the bagpipes. His name was Cameron Cameron.

On the flipslide I met a guy named Waco Texas Walker.

Etoniichuan
Oct 27, 2005

I went to church with a woman named Rolynne Stone. She married into that name apparently.

I went to uni with Richard Rump and Misty Shore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

"a" in Asian languages is almost always as in "father." For that matter, in pretty much all major languages that aren't English.

And "u" is usually as in "dude." Knowing anything about foreign pronunciation really ruins a lot of the foreign name examples.

Seen 'em with my own eyes. Does the Navy attract these people, are there a bunch of them running around, or what?

One of my grandfather's old air force buddies was, for a number of years, Major Miner.

Yeah, it's technically not spelled "right" but the effect is still the same.

Saint Rockhopper
Oct 2, 2008
A guy at my high school was named Buffalo Hird.

Also, a customer service woman my mom worked with was called Wotunda.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

A woman who rented from my parents years and years ago was named Gay Butts; she went by Kate.

My name's Carissa, but spelled weirdly. drat you dad.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
A book about WW1 I've been reading mentions a Colonel Duncan K. Major. At some point, he had to have been Major Major. This makes me very happy.

Mistersmiff
May 12, 2007
yes,we're all related.
Women I work with:

Oneisha
Philandria
Thurshundra <<( every time i hear her name I picture her wearing a cape and hear a thunderclap)

My wife works in K4. oh the names she has told me about. The latest and greatest is La-a . Its mom said "No you pronounce the dash. it's LaDASHa.

My dear lord

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
A common Persian name is Negaar which can be bad in a lot of places :(

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

I can't remember if this exact spelling is correct but I used to have a female coworker named Chimera, pronounced shi-MEER-uh. Her parents did not research that name very well.

I've seen the name Anthony Anthony Anthony before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I have a nephew named Tank.