Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Pladdicus posted:

Actually a very lucrative and possibly ideal market for newbies looking to break into game making would be websites like kongregate.com and other flash style portals. I don't have a lot of details on it for a write up to gon the OP but from what I've gleaned it's a very simple low-level way to get your feet wet in the industry and it can be quite lucrative for programmers who don't know how to create good assets but have really original or fun ideas.
Eeeeh.

So, this is certainly an option, but don't get visions of piles of filthy lucre. Because of how many people are submitting games these days, the payout per game has really gone down. It would be a difficult market to make a living in, at this point, so think of it more like a fun way to snag some beer money.

(I believe some still do just fine, but most I know of got there by building their own site and market)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

Now we need to talk about Sound effects. I'm keen on having my music dude do the sound too. Should be a beautiful result.
Not that it's right for your game, but there should probably be mention in the OP of as3fxr and bfxr.

There... might? be another one, or bfxr might be the newest. Regardless, they're great tools for getting usable sound effects quickly (for anything retro, at least).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Furret Basket posted:

Basically I don't want to rip him off and I don't know what to offer him. Any idea of even the vague numbers I should be talking?
Work it out between you two. Talking numbers is weird, and depends entirely on the two people doing the deal. I can tell you if a quote is too high, but "too low" is really, really subjective.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

seiken posted:

Hey cool, thanks for the new thread.

You can add me to this thing if you like, my twitter is @grandseiken but I mostly just follow people and don't use it very much.

Riding the exhilaration of having released an actual complete game my next project is obviously a roguelike that will optimistically take 90 years to make. In celebration of the new thread I wanted to show it off but since roguelikes aren't suited well to videos or screenshots I'll just throw up what I have right now. (If you start in the dark which you should probably restart for until you get an indoor unlit map since it's way cooler, press . to pick up the matches and torch which will be at your feet, W to wield the torch and then l to light it. Pretty much all you can do right now is set things on fire and get attacked by bats which also set you on fire. The rest of the (implemented) commands are listed if you press ?) (If you have any comments about it please say so, I don't know much about UI design)
Send WiiSpace to indiegames.com and indiegamemag.com, dude. It's awesome. Pretty sure you'd get a bump.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

loving hell, trying to draw a black border around a not-square window had me loving stumped for ages.

Stupid poo poo like this sometimes adds another 12 hours onto my development time. Now I've gotta make "Close" buttons. Point-and-click menu interfaces are a horrible thing to develop.
If it makes you feel any better, I just spent two days making kitties conga-line follow the player in a properly cute/"juicy" fashion.

(figuring out how to make the way-off-screen part of the line still feel present was the tricky part)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ambushsabre posted:

Did you do some real life "research"? That's the best part of game design, when you can go do crazy stuff for the sake of the game.
As a kid, I spent a few summers in an orchard, where there was usually a new batch of kittens to chase around and capture and pet.

My entire life has prepared me for writing this system :ssj:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

floofyscorp posted:

Yes. With an impressive enough portfolio, it doesn't really matter if you went to school at all. That said...
In addition to the above: you said UK. The game industry isn't great there right now, so moving is most likely in your future.

My understanding is, that is much easier with a degree. Like, much much easier.

So between that, and you seeming to want out of school for unclear reasons, I'd probably say you need to buckle down and just do it. If you can't hack that, then I don't see you doing any better with self-motivating yourself into making a kickass portfolio.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Aliginge posted:

I saw people who used to commute from home to Uni and they always themselves felt like social outsiders.
Pretty much, yep. You are alienated from any kind of social stuff, the professors look down their noses at you when you mention that perhaps you need to work in the evenings instead of go to their spur-of-the-moment no-planning study groups, you get blank stares if you mention how bad the commute was, etc.

The life of an "alternative" student: it basically sucks.

BUT! You have your own apartment, and your own life, and you've assumedly got your life figured out, when almost no one else around you does. Advantage: alternative student.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

What's your framerate? Doing a mouse that feels good, without 60fps, is quite hard.

Can you not turn on hardware cursor, though? Not entirely sure what you're building the game in.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

edit: I can pull 60fps, but I think the hardware mouse usually polls and updates at like 120hz or more so it just doesn't quite cut it.
Yes, but usually 60fps is "ok" - anyways, yeah, what you're running into is why most people enable hardware mouse with a custom bitmap. If you were in DirectX, it's easy, but I recall you were using something a bit weird.

Your idea of a sort of in-game cursor is solid, though. It'll probably just add to the retro feel, and nicely hides the problem.

EDIT: I suppose it's been 10 years since I tried a non-hardware mouse, 60fps or no, so it is entirely possible that modern sensibilities have taken us beyond where those were kosher.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 17, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Presented without comment: My Little Pony GameJam

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Vermain posted:

With that in mind, what is the best thing to look at/best techniques to use to help myself improve with regards to these aspects?
Change the art style you're trying for?

It doesn't have to be pixel art. In fact, you might do better if it isn't - pixel art is all the rage these days, and you'll draw comparisons to all the big names in the craft.

I stumbled on an art style I can manage that involves constructing things out of very large irregular boxes, for instance. It's pretty unique, and looks pretty good. I was inspired by The Real Texas, which was in turn probably inspired at least in part by Minecraft and the resurgence of blocky games. Then there's Cube World, inspired by 3D Dot Game Heroes, which takes the blocky style in an entirely different, beautiful direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=729VkxC4Z6E

... not that you need to go cubes, but point is - you needn't go pixel art either. Unless you're going to dedicate time to becoming a fully fledged artist in your own right (which isn't time spent making games), instead figure out a style you can nail naturally, as-is.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 19, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

Don't try to stop people copying your game. You'll never profit from trying to do that in this environment we're in.

Let people go to your site, pay using paypal, send them a special licence key to their email address that they can type in on your site and download your game as many times as they want forever.
Even ignoring this excellent advice, you're working in Unity. Most copy-protection methods require in some way monitoring and responding to changes to the executable - which you basically can't do, if you're using Unity to target multiple platforms. You would have to tape your copy-protection on outside of Unity, in some way making it apply only after Unity has completed its build. Mac-side, this would mean doing it within Xcode / some native libraries, PC side, similar but different libraries, Android still another, you flat out couldn't do it for iOS since they sign your executable, etc.

That is, unless you elect to forgo multiple platforms, but I guarantee you'll get more sales by supporting all the platforms you can than you will via any attempt at converting pirates.

EDIT: Unless you mean something very, very, very basic. Like a manually entered key, that isn't online-verified, that they enter during boot that locks the game down. That will create user friction, so I wouldn't recommend it, but...

you can do that with a simple hash. Give the user an alphanumeric string, they enter it, and you convert each character to a byte. Add them all within a byte (which means it will wrap a bunch of times), you end up with a number. That's the hash code.

The idea is that any key you hand out always results in that hash code. Any string that doesn't, won't work. Stupidly easy to crack, but not so easy that a friend can just casually share their copy. If you want just enough to prevent casual sharing of a game, that'd be what I would recommend, but - it's still pretty silly, in this day and age. You actually want those people to share the game, since you have no marketing muscle of note on your own.

EDIT2: Though this wouldn't prevent them from sharing the CD key too; You could make some vague comments about registering their names / DON'T REUSE THE KEY, but they would be toothless. The only way to prevent that is with online registration. Please don't require an internet connection, just because you want DRM. You've seen the kind of negative press that gets the big names - now imagine all that ire focused on a tiny indie like yourself.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 21, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

So, out of curiosity, anyone ever submitted a game to the IGF, student or pro?
Yeah, I submitted The Savage Garden. (on the Professional side of the contest)

... mind, though, that it was an extremely rough prototype, and I would lay odds that we were one of the entries that the judges didn't even bother playing. It has since undergone a massive transformation into a product of a scope that I might actually be able to finish.

We snagged a professional voice actor for the protagonist, though, and her narration in the video got us a lot of compliments :unsmith:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

Well, okay, can you go into it a bit? I mean, do you just submit and it flies off into the void? Do you gt any kind of feedback on its status before february, or what?

Any details would be helpful.
You really just follow the instructions. You sign up, pay your $100, and then you get a little interface page where you do your submission. You enter your video, images, build, instructions, short explanation, etc. After that initial upload, you can go back in and edit any of the details, update the build, and pretty much anything else.

The actual build submission is done via FTP. You're given a specific folder to upload to. You can continue to upload builds after your initial, though you need to be sure to explain which build is the newest one in your instructions. Got any questions, email them - they're pretty responsive.

There's a substantial window after the contest closes to when the judges actually get around to trying your build, so plan on continuing to develop on it and add bug fixes as you go.

The other gotcha is that they've slightly changed the submission rules this year. I believe there's something about not allowing games that are already on the market, or maybe it was they only want games that will be ready for market within the next year?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

Making a game has forced me to go from knowing zero trigonometry to being able to draw circles, lines at radial angles, and now elipses (aka explosions!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhlmDUxX_rs

Added a "ExplosiveRound" bool to my bullet class, and weapons can cause explosions of different sizes that expand at different rates and do different amounts of damage.

Stopping them from going through walls took some serious thought.
EDIT: Completely misread that as "will take some serious thought." Removing giant wall of text.

Seriously, though. Looks freaking awesome.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 23, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

ambushsabre posted:

marker'ing professionals
Also, cute video, though some additional zoom on the pages would have been nice. There are a few cases where you can't make out the words / where you turn the page too soon.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

... in all seriousness, there is growing burnout on pixel art. I don't know if it's reached beyond the hipster crowd yet, and it doesn't apply so much to stylized pixel art (ie. Paul Robertson, Sword and Sworcery, etc), but genero-JRPG pixel art people and hard-tiled worlds are increasingly a done thing again.

If retro-cool tracks with gamer age, I suppose the next wave will be extremely low polygon count people. Which I guess means my block people are going to be super awesome here soon. I was retro-cool before it was cool. :c00lbert:

EDIT: I do not mean to slag on pixel artists, at all, mind you. Pixel art is awesome. This is just what I've observed in people responding to indie games over the last year or two.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 1, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Svampson posted:

Still super early in development!
This looks awesome.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

DuFfY posted:

If your world consists of axis aligned walls, I figured it would not be too much work to generate a simpler fog mesh yourself with nice hard edges rather than the grid based mesh that is currently being generated.
Seconding this. Also look into marching cubes, for a simple way of giving the shadow smooth edges across tiles (that still look right in a tile world).

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

It goes both ways, though. Starting off with an idea and letting that dictate your engine can result in feature creep, or in ludonarrative dissonance when you start cramming the gameplay in a direction not well supported by the engine.

I tend to favor the engine approach as a result. I usually start with an idea and rough design, and set to designing an engine for such - but when the engine starts to veer off, and shows me some awesome gameplay? I'll rework the design to fit what the engine is becoming, rather than trying to kick the engine to fit my preconceived notions of what the game was supposed to be.

Simple example - I started out making a procedural runner. Normally, this means a fixed run speed, and your moves are really just animations that don't move your character at all. Sliding is just running with a different collision box, etc. Instead, I started playing with anim-based acceleration, and found you could do some really cool stuff if the speed was NOT fixed. Changes the dynamic completely. That lead me to figuring out how to handle obstructions that you couldn't just despawn upon hitting the player, and so on, and now it feels more like a platformer than a runner. The slide in particular screams Mega Man X.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Juc66 posted:

Making an engine from scratch is such a waste of time in my opinion.
You can spend all the time you'd use making something from scratch and turn those into features, or more games, or time with the family.

Even just editing in the special stuff you want for your game to an existing engine is way faster than doing it from scratch.
Depends on the game you're making. There is quite a bit of merit to making an engine capable of making a 2d or simple 3d game, assuming your goal is to get into the industry.

... but I'm inclined to agree, if your goal is just to make a game. Even if making your project in Unity or equivalent saves you no time, you can immediately post the result on the web for instant feedback, release it to Mac/PC/Linux without extra work, etc.

That said, there's also the argument that custom tech leads to different games. I seriously doubt Mug's game would look as distinct as it does if he'd built it in Unity, and it might not be as "clean". Unity gives you, for instance, physics by default - which hangs a lot of people up, and they start adding physics puzzles or physically-active characters for no reason.

EDIT: basically, "it depends"

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 5, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

the chaos engine posted:

Ah, saturday and the screenshots it brings.

This looks awesome.

Also, those are totally strawberry floating islands.

EDIT: VV "Delicious Triangles" would be an awesome game name. Also, this really does look great - don't take my strawberry comment as any kind of slight.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 7, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Orzo posted:

Silly question: there's no harm in using temp art from copyrighted sources for the development phase of a game, is there? And if the development process is going to be blogged and displays said content?
It will interfere with your ability to attract viewers/followers to your blog, probably more so than if you just used programmer art. Weird out of place art is often worse than boxes. That aside, yeah, no problem, even AAA studios do it - just mark all the assets to be taken out.

Hunting your entire 100,000 count asset base for rogue borrowed assets, and knowing it means a lawsuit if you miss any, is really not fun.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Spritesheets? Uh... how about moving boxes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN0PRdfThNQ

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

I could try an alternate, more artsy font, but I wanna make sure it's clear and legible. Picture books are my passion and I spend a lot of time reading them, and I've found that Times or some variant of it is actually the favored font in the genre, from Dr. Seuss to William Steig to, like, Holly Keller. You tend to see non-standard fonts in graphic novels and comic books more than hardcovers and paperbacks, really.
If that's your goal, then try and match a picture book style. Right now, those scenes look like typical low-effort indie cutscenes - "let's draw an image and slap a generic font text below it." Picture books don't do that. They mesh the image with the text, often in creative ways, and the text is at the very least visually connected to the associated image.

Fading to black because that's your background color more or less breaks the illusion. You could change the background color to match the on-screen content, you could cross-fade between pages (put one behind the other, fade the front one out, make the pages cover the entire screen) to hide it, etc.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Just to argue the other side - anyone that's getting frustrated with Unity's UI-driven design path, and is thinking about going pure-code...

It's worth trying to get over the hump wrt. Unity's development UI, hierarchy view, inspector, etc. It took me probably 6 months of questionable interfaces to get there, but once you've forced the kool-aid down and managed not to vomit, it allows for visually-driven and design-driven development in a way few other engines can match. UDK's the only one that even comes close in that respect.

I'm not suggesting you give everything a custom Editor script or anything, but there's a lot of power there.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

eeenmachine posted:

Yeah, for any 3D or moderately complex game I'm sure the editor provides a lot of value. For simple casual 2D games I'm still not convinced it ends up saving you any time.
True, that.

It will also get in your way if you're doing heavily procedural stuff. I'm finding it useful only because my "chunks" are pretty big and detailed, and have stuff going on inside of them. If I were just spawning AI dudes and some trees, or if it were a Minecrafty thingy, it'd be pointless to involve the inspector.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Nition posted:

And if I need something public but I don't want it to show up in the inspector, I use the flag:
code:
[System.NonSerialized]
public int myNum = 5;
... man, that is exactly what I was looking for a month ago. Thanks!

Another way of avoiding that is giving the variable in question an accessor (in C#). The inspector won't parse them / will hide them from the user, even if the innards are a simple (if !=) assignment.

EDIT: Futile really does look pretty cool. Had forgotten how AS3'y it was. I wonder how long it'll be until we see the Flixel community move over.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 9, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

In NGUI land, I just drop down some boxes and give them collision volumes, and boom, it just works. Highly recommended, for anyone not going the code-only route.

It has a widget-driven system that's ideal for making generic juice compnents, and it comes with a few to get you started. I even made an NGUI extension that adds an animated "..." to the end of any label. I... have no idea where else I'll use it, but needed it for the loading screen, and figured what the heck.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mug posted:

edit: I've never thought of accounting for colourblind people, don't video card drivers have accessibility options at a level below the API?
No idea about that, but color blindness support is usually done through smart design. Avoid critical path distinction of red vs green, and augment any important color distinction with iconography as well as color.

In your case, I'd probably add the universal off / on symbols (a circle and a line, broken vs open circuit). That fixes the problem for everyone, and lets you keep your UI bubbles consistently monochrome.

EDIT:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The main place I saw this falling apart was that if you're using something like Unity I'm assuming they probably already have their own UI classes that may not exactly match the WinForms stuff so the constructors would all be wrong. Although, you could just extend the Unity classes and set up the constructors the way you need them as a kind of interface between the WinForms designer and Unity, or whatever engine you're actually using.
The first lesson of Unity 3.5 is to totally avoid their UI classes, so actually, you'd be fine. You'd want to custom design the whole system anyways, so make its interface whatever you like.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 11, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The White Dragon posted:

Different story now, I completely changed the visual approach so typeface is now fair game. I do have really good handwriting, I could try like just outright letters-by-hand it and see how that goes, but I'm worried that might look a little too homegrown, haha. Any suggestions how to get that in? All that comes to mind is molded transparent PNGs.
Just go to dafont, and snag one of the many handwritten script free fonts. They've got everything from "some girl's handwriting" to nice formal script.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

I'd argue that you don't need the icons at all if you're going to have text alongside them... a simple bullet might work better (I mean a literary bullet, not a gun bullet).
Alternatively, since you already have the graphics, accept that they're unclear without text, add the text, and then just keep the graphics too to give them a little flair. Bullets alone would be functional, but there's no reason to regress since you've already done the work. Similarly, there's no reason to put more work into the graphics if they are to just be flair.

That is to say: I like the pictures, even if I can't quite make out what's going on in some of them, so move on. A lot of the games of that era had similar UI elements. There'd be a button with a known function but goofy graphic, so I'd make up a stupid story about what the graphic was. X-Com, for instance, was horrible/awesome for that, and Syndicate had it going on too. I think Populus did as well.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I could certainly have a few different backdrops presented, but we'd be talking 128x128 pixels at the most, since I'm working in ASCII mode. I think a lot could be conveyed in that space though, and if I decide to get an artist involved on the project later I'd definitely add that sort of thing.

I'm also thinking it would be a great opportunity to add a little humor. Maybe if you're taking too long dicking around, it could tack on little things like "Your crew member Ensign Smith nervously notices he's the only one wearing a red shirt." Even if each distinct situation had a relatively finite set of possibilities, the ability to shape the path of the entire encounter would have to make it a lot more interesting than simple multiple choice.
I would suggest thinking less text adventure, more interactive fiction. Boil each encounter down to its finite "cool choices", and only have the player make those. Bin the north/south/open stuff, have the player choose which away team member gets sacrificed to the giantess for fatal mating (in exchange for that engine component you desperately need).

To see this done right (including the aforementioned graphics), I highly, highly suggest you snag a copy of King of Dragon Pass for research purposes. It's on iOS devices now, PC, etc - an old, but great, game. It also shows how you can procedurally tweak largely static encounters to be different every time.

THAT, done sparingly, could definitely add to the flavor.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 17, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

SlightlyMadman posted:

Thanks, I was just going to ask if anyone knew of a good modern text adventure game, since I honestly haven't played one since the 90s. I think you're right that encounters should take place in a single location for simplicity, in fact, that would let me use the same system for space encounters as for away missions. I might be trying a little too hard to put something "original" into the game, but if it really ends up not being fun, I'll have no problems removing it from the game.

King of Dragon Pass looks pretty cool from the screenshots, but it's not really the same as what I'm going for. The spaceship management and combat sim is already getting fleshed out, I just want some sort of interesting diversions to give the player along the way. The problem with FTL-style multiple-choice encounters is that after the first time you see one, you don't even read it any more, and end up just picking the option you know is best. At that point, why even bother giving the player choices? Just roll the dice and tell them what happens. It's not really interactive at all except in that it gives the novice player bad choices to accidentally make.

Really any multiple choice event will have most people reading the choices first and only falling back to reading the event if it's not entirely clear. By forcing them to comprehend the text and type the choices out, that's the stick aspect of making the encounter interesting. The carrot of course is that there will be clues given in that text that they can choose from to pick a benefit.

It all might be a bit too ambitious though, I'll have to see how it works out when I get to that point in development.
Er, no, not what I meant at all. I mean the the random events you hit in KoDP are a pretty good example of how to set up textual encounters with interesting choices that resolve in unexpected (and inconsistent between playthroughs) ways. Ignore the rest of the game - it's interesting, but unrelated to your game entirely.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Lord Humongus posted:

I wanna see if I can be succesful in reproducing the same quality rooms. Does this also remind you guys of low poly horror? Does it look good for what it is?

dark

with a little light

These look like big black squares to me. I see a spot of light in the top one shapes like a footprint, and that's it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Lord Humongus posted:

Does this look better?

Worlds. EDIT: But I wouldn't go even a smidge darker than that. That should be your bottom range, not middle or top.

Also, great look.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 18, 2012

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Thirding Unity. It is a fantastic engine, and I have no regrets with building my codebase up around it.

I like "if it works, ship it" - but I hate messy code. So I almost inevitably remove blatant hacks and pepper comments everywhere before I'm done with a system. I've gotten used to inefficient one-off code (and you kind of need to, to get anything done quickly as an indie), but it drat well better at least look good. I do at least mark all my bugs and limitations with @fixme, to try and limit future landmines.

... and everyone in this thread should be using version control :colbert: It is easy to set git up with bitbucket, totally free (for the small teams we're all on), and then boom. Backups, forking, branching, and a full per-file history for those "poo poo, I need just this file to look like it did 2 months ago" times.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh, you can't have walls that meet at a Y-intersection? Well okay... if that's really how you want your 'game' to 'work'...

Passive-aggressive feedback — getting results since the Dawn of Time.
I restructured the entirety of Jones' level structure because of a friend passive-aggressively shrugging and saying "I just don't get it" any time the game came up.

... but it's a lot better because of that, so hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

HelixFox posted:

Legitimately playing a bunch of cool games as "research" is the best.
... and then deducting every cent you spend on them as a job-related expense!

Also any money spent on consoles, computers, game magazines, online subscriptions, etc. So awesome.