Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Unity is still not something that I would say does "most of the programming leg-work for you", it can be quite complex to learn and understand. If we include Unity though, we could also include Panda3D then.

EDIT: Maybe we could have a small section on engines and APIs. Something like:
PyGame (Python): 2D SDL engine
SFML (C/C++/.Net/Python): 2D multimedia API
Irrlicht (C++): 2D/3D engine
etc.

...Or just link to This long list.

Senso fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Red Mike posted:

I'd PM, but no platinum. I'd like to be added to the OP.

Michael Red
Twitter: @MikeRedhorse

Oh hey you're the guy behind pYendor! Nice to see someone else worked on making a roguelike using Python and libtcod.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I have a high school diploma, went to study Literature in college, dropped out. I've been learning programming and Linux all by myself since I was 17 (I'm now 30) and I have now been working for this international game company for over 4 years, I'm even in charge of a small team in a foreign country.

Not saying this is the usual track but if you can prove that you're passionate enough to pull yourself by your own bootstrap, sometimes you can get the job you want.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Mug posted:

Do you guys get pissed off if a windowed game captures your mouse pointer? I really like it because it stops you from accidentally clicking outside the window, but I wanna make sure it's not some kind of no-no.

Personally, when I play a windowed game, I want to be able to click elsewhere - it's usually why I play windowed: I'll have a chat window or work windows, etc.

EDIT: VVVV Thing is with alt-tab, sometimes it takes a few second for the resolution to revert, etc. and you can get problems when you alt-tab back in the game (in Fallout: New Vegas, every time I alt-tab back in, brightness is set to super low). Also, I like being able to see MSN/email windows live in the background while I play, so I know if I need to do something else. But that's just my two cents.

Senso fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 18, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Mug posted:

Hitting escape will bring up an overlay menu with real, uncaptured mouse that you can move anywhere. Would that be fine?

That's perfect, yes.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Mug posted:

How often do you guys have an idea for something to put in your game, but you have to create a little prototype of the idea working stand-alone before trying to put it into your game?

I am slowly building up a little folder called "Prototypes" and its just got a ton of programs in it that perform basic routines that I've eventually moved into my game code after I got it the way I wanted. I have a little program that is just a black screen demonstrating bullets flying around, one that generates vision cones and draws them, and I'm making one now where you just click on a black screen to spawn an explosion.

Which IDE do you use and how do you deal with having separate smallish projects? Let's say I'm using Visual Studio, it would be a pain to setup a new project with all the particular bindings and settings, just for a prototype. I wonder if there is an easy way to do that.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Regalia posted:

I do this in VS. Personally, I just set up a new solution for each prototype. By using property sheets, and a pretty simple main loop I can get a new idea set up in a matter of minutes.

Ah yes, I did not think to do that. I can just create a new solution other than Release/Debug, let's say called "MapGen" and just tell it to compile my map generation source files/headers from a "prototype" folder.

EDIT: Sweet, that works pretty well in Code::Blocks.

Senso fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 25, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Nition posted:

Finally releasing my first game today. What started as a learning experience somehow turned into three months of work and a full game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsgrpWNMi0

Demo download, purchase, and everything are here.

But most importantly, what happens when you fall?!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
The devs and people behind the Humble Bundle 6 did an AMA on Reddit. Some interesting stuff, they've got people from a few indie studio talking about their experience.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Mug posted:

does anyone actually look at my game so far and really think "Ugh, pixel art indie game"?.

To be frank, kinda. I'm biased because I've been reading you and your game sounds cool but personally, I hate retro pixel art. I can understand if it's used as programmer art but people using it as a selling point ("CLASSICAL 8BIT NES RETRO-NOSTALGIA!!") make me roll my eyes and ignore the game immediately. I might be willing to reconsider this if it's a Shadowrun/Syndicate kind of game though!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

I know I bitched about pixel art earlier (even though I will probably use that for my game at first since my 3 years old draws better than me) but this is awesome.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Hmm my company is starting a 48-hours Game jam, I think I will try to register if I can find teammates. They're providing 3 days of Unity/Playmaker training so that even newbies can do something.

Never tried to learn Unity as I didn't like the idea of people requiring a custom client to play anything. But that might be fun.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ambushsabre posted:

Nobody needs a custom client to play Unity stuff anymore. You can compile to windows and mac and flash (bar some features in flash), but by and large it's amazing because it can compile to any known platform.

Really? Didn't know that. In any case, I will try to get in the training and see if I like it. Unity uses mainly C#, right? Looking quickly at the tutorials on the website, I don't see much info about the programming behind it all.

Senso fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 9, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

The White Dragon posted:

Font size too big maybe? I'm sorta of that mind.

I don't really know why, maybe it's just me, but I don't like the font. The Selina font (or whatever, I'm no expect) on nice hand-drawn graphics clashes a lot and it makes me cringe. But again, maybe it's just me, I really hate webcomics where text bubbles are done with a computer font instead of by hand.

Crazy idea: you could try to create your own hand-drawn font, it would match the art style perfectly. Or try using a sans-serif type maybe?

I know someone already suggested you change type before, so ignore me if you don't agree.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

That's great! Much better, definitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Mug posted:

I've heard of that but I don't know what that is.

Wow. You should really learn about SVN and git. It's quite convenient and integrates easily with a lot of editors/IDEs.