Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

WMain00 posted:

I want to bulk up my portfolio because I've already got the degree (Computing - Software Engineering) but I have real trouble trying to figure out where to start. Either my ideas are too huge, or I feel overwhelmed whenever I look at the program (ie Unity).

As stupid as my problem might sound, can anyone help? Should I just start off with small art-based 2d things (even if I absolutely suck at art)? Or should I concentrate on specific area - ie map design?

I need help finding my feet so I can make stuff. I reckon If I can develop a few individual projects before the end of the year I might have more luck getting employed within the games industry.

Making a small game would be my advice. I mean, making and releasing a game, be it a small 2D game or whatever you're capable of. If you're bad at art, do something stylized or minimalist or just go balls-out with your bad art. But do it.

I used to tool around with half-finished games while dreaming about bigger and better things and having all these big plans for the future, but nothing ever happened. One day I decided to actually finish something, and even though it was a terrible game, it changed everything. Suddenly it was like, "...oh. I can really do this."

Since then I made more games, got into flash sponsorships, met a whole bunch of awesome people, and now I'm working on my first iOS game together with Ambushsabre. And if you had told me 8 months ago- before I decided to release that stupid game- that I would be doing all this stuff right now, I wouldn't have believed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Vermain posted:

If I could solicit some advice: I'm not the greatest pixel artist, and I find this a significant roadblock in working on my own personal game development.

I find that my three biggest failings are:

• I have a great amount of difficulty simplifying the human form into a 50x50 box. I'm not a professional artist, so this might just be an issue of a lack of understanding when it comes to how to properly "shape" a person.
  • Animation has always been hard, since I find it difficult to retain accurate proportions and bone structure.
  • I have difficulty with light and shadow, especially on inanimate textures such as cliff faces or trees or such.

With that in mind, what is the best thing to look at/best techniques to use to help myself improve with regards to these aspects?

Not that I'm an amazing pixel artist or anything, but I learned doing pixel art by going to the Show Us Some Of Your Pixel Work thread on the TIGsource forums, grabbing sprites and mockups I liked the style of, and straight up copy them. Just literally open them up in your preferred pixel-making program, zoom the hell in, and copy every pixel. At first it'll feel pointless and dumb, but gradually you start understanding why certain colors are used in what spot, and how something abstract at first glance can create a specific visual element.

Helped me tremendously.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Speaking of art, I just wrote a blog post on our website talking about how and why I made our game look the way it does. If anyone's at all interested in how a non-programmer approaches game design, give it a read.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Oddx posted:

I really like your style!

For people interested in pixel art, Small Worlds is a fantastic game to check out (and pretty short) http://armorgames.com/play/4850/small-worlds

The simplicity and the play on scale is just great. One of my favourites.

Cheers! Also, Small Worlds owns.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Polo-Rican posted:

You're probably right, but with goons, you seriously never know.

No worries, it's just for fun. Thanks for the kind words about Irrupt!

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
BANG

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
farfromsleep that looks great!

I did this for screenshotsaturday:

I guess I got a little burnt out on pixel art.

In related news, the silly trailer we did for Irrupt has over a thousand views and got a bit of attention from indiegames.com. Moral of the story: Make a trailer for your game even if you don't know how to make trailers.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I don't think pixel art is going anywhere anytime soon. Decent pixel art is easier to do than decent vector art (though great pixel art is just as difficult as great vector art!) so it's an obvious choice, especially for small teams / bedroom programmers / etc. I wasn't trying to call out the state of indie games or anything though, I meant to say that I'm getting burnt out on making pixel art.

Proudbottom though, I think that game benefits greatly from being not pixel art. It's so playful and expressive, restricting that to pixel art kinda kills it. Good call, Polo-Rican. A true skillionaire.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
I love STREEMERZ so much. That game comes correct.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Ah, saturday and the screenshots it brings.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Shalinor posted:

This looks awesome.

Also, those are totally strawberry floating islands.

From delicious squares to delicious triangles. Artistic progress.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Is spritesheetsunday an actual thing or did we just make it up? Either way, here's a sloppy rock dude.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Feels good to be working on something again.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Shalinor posted:

How's that doing for you guys, by the way?

It did nothing in terms of sales, the reviews have been pretty dang positive, and the playerbase we do have is absolutely amazing. All in all, for it being our first iOS game, we're happy with it.

I mean, I -and we- have made flash games that made far more money than Irrupt has, but as far as feedback and player enjoyment goes this has been my favorite game to make, easily. I've seen reviews that read like poetry, one guy spent an evening recording himself playing 40+ runs just to show off beating his own high score on cam, people tweet screenshots of their leaderboard spots at us, all sorts of crazy poo poo.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Screenshotsaturday I've missed you so much never leave me again.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Thanks everyone :) Also, Oddx I love the hell outta your game visually.

Polo-Rican posted:

You are the master of gradients. Did you go to art school? Your color sense is really good.

I didn't go to art school, but I have been forcing myself to do more / better with color lately. So thanks!

GetWellGamers posted:

Is it supposed to be scary? Because the one on the left looks so incredibly :haw: to me.

... Now I can't unsee it. I will probably have to change that.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Oddx posted:

Thanks! I'm going to plug my buddy again because he's been coming up with the incredible style to my silly ideas: http://narwolf.tumblr.com

Edit: quote/edit rar

That's really strong work. Yo, Polo-Rican, if you want to see good color sense check out that link!

I kinda thought that the inspiration for the style came from this: http://geoaday.tumblr.com/

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Ambushsabre and I did a lil' crunching these last couple of days and now we have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah-EiWdCnPc

Everything is very WIP and alpha, but I daresay we're off to a good start!

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

seiken posted:

This is cool, but with such awesome & atmospheric art I kind of wish you were making a bit more of an interesting game to go along with it...

It'll be more interesting! Tip of the iceberg and all that.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

seiken posted:

For sure but I still hope by "more interesting" you mean "having absolutely no similarly to an endless runner/helicopter game"

It's really more of a Super Hexagon thing than a helicopter/ endless runner type deal, with a setting and story that opens it up to having features that would've felt like clutter in Super Hexagon.

I think that's the best way to put it. For now.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
#LAZERCITY #screenshotsaturday #hashtags

Trying my hand at a new area, not yet finished with the details. We're also putting some more attention into making more intricate patterns, to hopefully give off less of a helicopter game / endless runner vibe.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Did y'all know that you can make 3D things in photoshop these days? I did not! I wonder if it's actually usable for making game assets somehow. Though I doubt it.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Shalinor posted:

That looks more complicated than my assets, so uh, probably. What does it export in? Or is it purely for drawing with 3d elements then flattening to 2d?

It exports 3D to: Collada DAE (whatever that is), Google Earth 4 KMZ, U3D, and Wavefront|OBJ.

I was messing around with it some more but the issue quickly becomes that you can't do anything besides make a 3D shape. You can't rig it or animate it or anything. Basically if you want a static, basic 3D shape you got it. Might as well pick up Blender or something if I really wanted to get into 3D. Might be neat for making logos or something though?

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Oddx posted:

Might prove to be terribly confusing but I figure experimental game design should lead to experimental interface design. Anyone think this is a terrible idea?

I think it owns hard. I also think it suits the game quite well, though keep in mind I'm only basing that on the feel I get from screenshots and stuff you've posted before.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Mug posted:

There's nothing deplorable about it, look at Sets and Settings. Folmer doesn't know jack poo poo about computers he just draws pictures and tells ambushsabre what to do (well its fairly collaborative but you get the idea). They have a good relationship; I could never do that.

Dude not fair. Sometimes I tell him what to do without drawing pictures.

Actually we're probably 50/50 on designing our games at this point. Our thing is basically that one of us gets excited about an idea, tells the other about it, we start working frantically and then a game exists.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Yay screenshots.

I just spent 48 hours making an iOS breakout clone basically to see what Stencyl can do these days. It's... not great, but a neat little time waster nonetheless. I need to take a couple more hours to make a soundtrack and add sfx, and then I'll submit it to Apple, release it as a freebie. This may or may not be a terrible business decision.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

DeepQantas posted:

Wasn't Icarus Proudbottom that poo poo propelled dude flying at 100 miles per hour?

Is that canon?

He just traded flight by boom-booms for flight by space ship. That's not just cannon, it's logical progression.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Ambushsabre and I did a thing again! It's a game about grappling in 4 directions and collecting as many coins as you can while avoiding mean blue dudes.

It's pretty straightforward stuff but I'm really pleased with the overall vibe of it. We went with a non-pixelly look, ambushsabre did a really good job on coding in some neat visual tricks (talking stuff like screen transition, and when the player bumps into a wall it has a lil flatten-and-bounce effect), and the music and sound effect are pretty... bubbly.

We named it Baburu, and it looks like this:

And Baburu is playable on Newgrounds right freaking now.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

BovineFury posted:

the chaos engine
Wisdom

Thanks for the feedback! We just updated the game to fix the lighter backgrounds. Also thanks to you I added a line to the instructions screen that mentions the ability to grapple mid-grapple.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Thumbquat posted:

I'm thinking of doing #onegameamonth for 2013. I have a little programming experience, but no finished projects. I entered SA game dev this year, but failed to deliver a game for various reasons :-(

I have a unity license from when they were doing the free ios and android version.

I know you guys are unlikely to try and talk me out of this, but am I setting myself up for failure? I'll try and keep the games small and achievable, of course.

I made 18 games this year, using Stencyl or forums hero ambushsabre as programming tools (haha diss). I still don't know how to program, at all. But I consider myself a game designer at this point, and making games is all I want to do.

Point being this: I released my first ever game on the first of Januari 2012, just because I wanted to finish something for once. The other 17 came basically without thinking. Finishing and releasing a project is SO IMPORTANT. Even if it's poo poo, it doesn't matter in the slightest. So if #1GAM is what you need to make that happen, loving go for it.

Oh also, tiny screenshotsaturday whoo.

(WIP as heck, I don't like the arms and legs.)

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

ambushsabre posted:

Agh you made 18 games this year I thought I was doing pretty well at 9 (I think it's 9).

You can make it 10! You have the assets, I know you do because I made them. I worked very very hard and made them all. I made a song for it. I filled a folder with sound effects for it.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
The first game I made for the Bi-weekly Gam Jam / Goon Games Thread, Johnny Got His Gun Quest, just showed up on Free Indie Games' list of best horror games of 2012.

The bi-weekly game jam thread was like my #1GAM for the first half of this year. Since a lot of people are doing 1GAM in 2013, I suggest you all make that thread the place for it, would be nice / inspiring to see that thing get active again!

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
My first day on twitter Terry Cavanagh was like "welcome to twitter folmer!" and I got a bunch of followers immediately and I was all WOW TWITTER IS AWESOME.

Then I started following MUG and it's been anime titty tweets ever since.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Orzo posted:

I really need to find an artist for my game, I'm getting closer to the point where I want to start designing actual areas and I'm not about to start adding more temp art from Link to the Past. Where do you folks look for (pixel) artists? I am willing to pay actual money and really dig the art style that Link to the Past uses.

I didn't really start doing commissioned pixel art until I got on twitter. For some reason it seems really easy to ask around and get your request in front of the right people on there.

Also! I just found out we have a pixel art thread on SA so you might want to check in there. I feel like that was probably mentioned in this thread before but I either never really noticed or just forgot. Some serious skills shown off there.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Screenshot saturday! Although more like mockup saturday. I can't wait to officially announce this one / get started on it. Definitely our biggest project to date.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

The White Dragon posted:

I was actually gonna say the opposite, "Well that's a bit of unnecessary crassness in a sea of what's otherwise awesome," but hey, if it flies, it flies.

It'll make sense eventually. Dumb as it may sound, "putting naughty words and penis drawings on giant murderous robots" is a part of the world we're building.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

GetWellGamers posted:

"When cyber-chavs ruled the world!"

haha nah it's more "gently caress what these big shot scientists say, I'm out here putting these robot parts together for minimum wage and no benefits, it's gonna roll off the assembly line with a cock on it somewhere."

Another way to look at it is the way soldiers wrote "born to kill" on their helmets and poo poo like that.

Game design

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

TheOrange posted:

So, I'm working on a thing and I spent some time trying to make a mockup, figured I'd post it here to see if anyone had any feedback on it.

I'm not that happy with how the UI looks right now, and I only have it positioned at the top so it wouldn't interfere on a Android device where the system home/back keys could get in the way.

Also, has anyone ever used Haxe much? I'm messing around with it right now before jumping in to just using Unity since all I'm doing is 2D, but I'm wondering if I'm better off just biting the bullet to avoid any kind of compatibility issues.

The UI clashes with the rest of the game. I would just simplify it kinda like this

or like this

because I dig how the game looks but the UI really wrecks the style for me.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

TheOrange posted:

Wow, thank you, that's so simple and it looks so much better... do you mind at all if I use one of those designs? I'm still trying to find out how I want this game to look, I was a bit afraid I might make something that fell too far into the steampunk category but I'm glad to see someone likes the vector style.

Yeah go for it! Also I wouldn't be too concerned about looking too steampunk. I mean some people might say that, but for the same money some people will say the silhouette style is overused, and again others would say retro pixel art is overused, and on and on.

It's a style, it has visual coherence, and it works for the game. If you like it, run with it. gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
On the other hand, if the game DIDN'T have a 90's aesthetic, making an ARG to convince people that it WAS made in the 90's would be loving glorious.