Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
This has to be the lowest point of Thorsby comics right now. There's nothing to unravel, he's just making poo poo up as he goes along. Usually there's some logic to the developments, but now it's just doing things because. He's doing a lot of Tell instead of Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
If it weren't for relying so heavily on the narration boxes, this would actually be pretty compelling. She gains all the power in the world, then loses it right when she needs it most.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Yes, I was OK with the narration before as Aisha's "training montage" to speed through the same stuff we saw with Ulf. . . but this is getting a bit excessive. Like assuming we will need this robot fight scene in the first place, did we really need narration to say that it was running to a pit deep enough to kill her?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grogquock posted:

Yes, I was OK with the narration before as Aisha's "training montage" to speed through the same stuff we saw with Ulf. . . but this is getting a bit excessive. Like assuming we will need this robot fight scene in the first place, did we really need narration to say that it was running to a pit deep enough to kill her?

I'm pretty sure there were similar pits in his other comics and we never needed a label to be sure that "Oh hey that ominous pit will probably kill our hero if they get thrown in it".

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I think this might be where I stop checking the comic for a few months.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well she just cured Olf, you sure?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I suspect the comic is winding down to an end, given how it looks like both their chips have been disabled.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
That was pretty anticlimactic. Between this and Accidental Space Spy's ending I'm beginning to suspect that Thorsby just got lucky with Hitmen's (really awesome) finale.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think you guys are underestimating Thorsby. He's not even at Comic 200 yet, whereas Hitmen had almost 600 and TASS had over 500.

For all we know he's going to spend 300 more comics with Ulf and Aisha, chips disabled, having to navigate the hosed up world they've created and try and figure out how to return it to some form of normality.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I kind of wish the comic had stayed with the silly, bizarre sitcom bits before the stakes were raised to apocalyptic levels.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Narration over (maybe). I'm happy to see where this goes.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Why's everyone so down on the ending to Accidental Space Spy? The Minister of Interplanetary Affairs getting ate in #502 is a really good riff on lose ends tied up by fiat and an excellent closing site gag.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009

Sizone posted:

Why's everyone so down on the ending to Accidental Space Spy? The Minister of Interplanetary Affairs getting ate in #502 is a really good riff on lose ends tied up by fiat and an excellent closing site gag.

The ending of the adventures on the final planet were OK but it felt just like one of many planets and not all that special. Maybe it was because the "reason for war" and saving a race we were just introduced too was not super compelling. It felt like there needed to be one last chapter to put things in order: they resolved stuff using the secret knowledge they'd been seeking, but only for a bunch of random aliens they've just met. The ending of the whole story was really the final 3 pages which consist of basically 2 conversations and a good bye. Compared with the brilliance of the Hitmen "epilogues", it felt weak as heck.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Looks like whoever guessed things were just getting started was right. We're skipping forward a decade to life in a world ruled by benevolent supergeniuses.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Looks like Ulf and Aisha have gotten around the problem of multiple selves - they have a ton of bodies each, linked within a single universe. And they all have the same personality - a true hivemind. They have learned that hell is other yous.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
New comic

Linking your happiness to the general population's seems like it could lead to a pretty bad downward spiral as soon as things start to go south.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I think Thorsby's rule when writing Brain Chip is to start from the initial premise, think about what things - good and bad - are most likely to happen, and then make them happen. Continue until all the biggest issues and problems that arise either get fixed forever or reach a point where even Thorsby cannot think of a solution. The whole comic is one big, rambling thought experiment.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 29, 2015

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Every time someone asks me a question in IT, I become a fringurfringur.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Didn't see that coming. I like it.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I love the two panels of awkward silence.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It's not silence, they're just being polite and letting the narrator have his turn to speak.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
She's basically Utilitarian God.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
That is honestly the best possible ending

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahaha that's great, Aisha feels .00000012 percent happier! The End!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wish I'd learn to check the comic first when this thread has new posts, since it updates in the evening for me. I am now 0.00008% less happy.

On the bright side, everyone lived happily ever after on average. :buddy:

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

(except in the untold millions of Earths that got ruined, but those ones don't count anymore)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, well that sure is an ending. Still seems like there are a few places he could take the plot from here, but I guess it's short but sweet. Wonder when the next comic will start.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Can we have the alternate bonus ending where she's a total utilitarian rather than an average one?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I want an ending where they put transdimensional brainchips in everyone on Earth.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cat Mattress posted:

I want an ending where they put transdimensional brainchips in everyone on Earth.

It's gonna be hard to find enough fish for all those chips. :v:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Cat Mattress posted:

That would've been less repulsive than mind control chips.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Well, that was an...ending?

Probably my least favorite work by Thorsby. The starting bits were great, but as it moved forward I didn't get that great classic Thorsby feeling. I feel the relative shortness of this work indicates that Thorsby ran out of ideas at some point and is interested in getting to his next work. I wonder what it will be!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

jon joe posted:

I feel the relative shortness of this work indicates that Thorsby ran out of ideas at some point and is interested in getting to his next work.

Just like TASS, which felt likewise rushed at the end. Hitmen For Destiny remains his magnum opus, and Lies, Sisters & Wives is probably his best short work.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Sudden but still much better than than the ending of TASS, so I'm satisfied. At least it had something that felt like a real denouement over a the last several pages. Even the mechanical flavor of the +.00000012% happiness ending is pretty appropriate after what we've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
At least Thorsby had a decent ending this time, if abrupt. I can't wait to see what he does next.

• Locked thread