Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
What amazes me time after time with these comics is that I feel actual concern for the characters. Like, I don't know how they're going to get out of this and it makes me feel anxious (even though most likely they'll be okay). It sort of blows my mind that the storytelling is so good that it can draw me in like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I want to know where they got those clothes from. Those little baby hands don't seem to useful for crafting of any kind.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I've noticed that their eyes change color, possibly in relation to emotion. We just need to figure out which means what.

scarycave posted:

I want to know where they got those clothes from. Those little baby hands don't seem to useful for crafting of any kind.

Those hands look about the size as Not-Plume's and Dunkirk's.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BiggerJ posted:

I've noticed that their eyes change color, possibly in relation to emotion. We just need to figure out which means what.

Those hands look about the size as Not-Plume's and Dunkirk's.

Compared to the size of their arms though, but yeah your probably right.
Still, I just get this feeling that most of the stuff on this planet was made by slaves or claimed as property.
Think about it though, we had a few preachers (who turned to a life of crime) come to planets - probably without any ID at all,
If that's a common occurrence then imagine how easy it is for them to get slaves.

scarycave fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 19, 2013

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This latest comic looks like it could be a beautiful setup for a Lies, Sisters and Wives/Hitmen boat scene type bit, in which case I really can't wait.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I don't generally have time to follow a lot of webcomics, but I saw the link to Hitmen for Destiny on the TGT thread, took the advice of "read until you meet Lostclock," and holy poo poo. I marathoned the whole thing in less than a week. I've spent all week trying to convince everyone I know to read this webcomic, and everyone I send the link to just looks at the art, raises their eyebrows, and says "what IS this thing?" and closes the page. It's sad.

I couldn't believe how emotionally invested I was in the characters by the end, and I was genuinely sad about some of the deaths.

Edit: I see I'm behind here ... I'm off to read TASS now.

pookel fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 20, 2013

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Zinkraptor posted:

Huh, I just noticed how the gun the bodyguard has is made to fit the odd shape of his hand/arm.

That's a nice touch considering previously everyone has been using the same nondescript triangle-tied-to-two-rectangles.

Actually, there have been different guns for every type of appendage so far. Here's all the ones I found with a quick search:

edit: Huugian guns aren't really significantly different from the ones the spies use, but I thought it was interesting that they have a slightly different design.

Eeevil fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 20, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Eeevil posted:

Actually, there have been different guns for every type of appendage so far. Here's all the ones I found with a quick search:

edit: Huugian guns aren't really significantly different from the ones the spies use, but I thought it was interesting that they have a slightly different design.

That's what I like about this comic. The little details. :allears:
Well as far as weapons go - nothing beats that one alien who used weaponized Embryos as grappling hooks/murder machines.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

It means they love abstract art.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It does look like Dunkirk would have an easy time removing those explosive collars.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
These guys are hard-core. They didn't even use the mesmetron. Their so completely casual about the whole enslaving thing, hope we get a biology update soon about these guys.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

ZearothK posted:

It does look like Dunkirk would have an easy time removing those explosive collars.

Too bad they'll explode if he removes them. He'd have more trouble keeping them on. IRONY!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The little touches in this most recent comic are great.

The way I read it, the audience machine tells her what her audience is like, and it has surmised that Not-Plume and Dunkirk are young with only a basic education. But more than that, the two colours of lights next to the labels tell us that (since Power is red and the machine is definitely on, we can assume that the other red lights are things the audience machine has detected from the joke) apparently her joke was not only about news gathering and topical humour, but also somehow involved racism, fatal disease, recent disasters, and animal cruelty. I wonder how that all fit in there.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

vyelkin posted:

The little touches in this most recent comic are great.

The way I read it, the audience machine tells her what her audience is like, and it has surmised that Not-Plume and Dunkirk are young with only a basic education. But more than that, the two colours of lights next to the labels tell us that (since Power is red and the machine is definitely on, we can assume that the other red lights are things the audience machine has detected from the joke) apparently her joke was not only about news gathering and topical humour, but also somehow involved racism, fatal disease, recent disasters, and animal cruelty. I wonder how that all fit in there.

It could be scanning the environment as well as the people in the room...
The only thing that would give - "Animal cruelty" would be on the wall where there's a guy ripping a worm in half on the wall.
We don't know about any recent disasters (on this planet).
This chick is certainly racist.
The joke was so bad that she needs to be quarantined?

Or that the joke was just so bad that it's considered a crime against nature and the machine is being ironic.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe a head top turning is some kind of thing where you turn an animal's head (animal cruelty), kremblerins is a fatal disease, gamblerists and secureists are some kind of racist thing, and having wives and sisters in the same room is a disaster. Or something.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
I sort of interpreted the knobs as adjusting for the audience's personal preferences.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Maybe a head top turning is some kind of thing where you turn an animal's head (animal cruelty),

It's pretty clear that it has something to do with their own anatomy. A head top turning could be something like a massage, or a regularly required thing like a haircut.

Those red things can be assumed to all be buttons, not just some-of-them-are-lights. Perhaps 'Taboo Topics' simulates audience non-preferences, allowing the comedian to learn not to touch on those topics.

Theory: Not-Plume and Dunkirk will offer to upgrade the machine's power source. "Your sense of humor's just too sophisticated to be appreciated by something that doesn't have a crystal in it!"

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 27, 2013

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Eye color is definitely a thing. It looks like orange is hostile, the more orange the more hostile. Take a look at the pictures in the back. The fighting aliens all have dark orange eyes. Everyone else has stayed a lighter orange. Notice body guards eyes go orange as soon as he pulls the gun and they stay that way. Blue is probably neutral. Not sure on greend and pink.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

Theory: Not-Plume and Dunkirk will offer to upgrade the machine's power source. "Your sense of humor's just too sophisticated to be appreciated by something that doesn't have a crystal in it!"

Theory: They will inadvertently make all 3 wives hate one another and escape in the chaos.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Pink is definitely frothing rage.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sizone posted:

Theory: They will inadvertently make all 3 wives hate one another and escape in the chaos.

Theory: It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Grogquock posted:

Eye color is definitely a thing. It looks like orange is hostile, the more orange the more hostile. Take a look at the pictures in the back. The fighting aliens all have dark orange eyes. Everyone else has stayed a lighter orange. Notice body guards eyes go orange as soon as he pulls the gun and they stay that way. Blue is probably neutral. Not sure on greend and pink.

I didn't notice the mood ring eyes until you pointed it out.

Green seems to be happy, he was green when he found out they could be claimed as slaves and again when they claimed to be experts on Datima psychology. His eyes weren't green but pink when he said the artist was becoming successful. I'm guessing pink is some kind of negative emotion, either sadness, anger or defeat.

From what little we've seen of their society, I'm guessing what he really wants from Dunkirk and Plume is to make Warehouse and Chance hate each other and trick Extension Cord into making unpopular paintings so they'll all be unsuccessful and too busy fighting amongst themselves to pose a threat to his dominant status.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Well, we know at least one emotion. Perhaps it is involuntary and that's where all the social hijinks come from.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Okay. It's been a while since I finished Hitmen for Destiny... Let's crack open this Space Spy thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is it just me, or do the comics randomly only load halfway for anyone else? I was really confused by the discussion on the last couple of strips because everything under the first set of social media bookmark buttons wasn't showing for me the first time I looked at them. :confused:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 30, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sindai posted:

Is it just me, or do the comics randomly only load halfway for anyone else? I was really confused by the discussion on the last couple of strips because everything under the first set of social media bookmark buttons wasn't showing for me the first time I looked at them. :confused:

It was a bigger comic, there should be a warning on the top stating that you should click "previous" to see the full comic.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Once again, I find Thorsby's dissertations on social evolution fascinating. :allears:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Once again, I find Thorsby's dissertations on social evolution fascinating. :allears:

I wonder what kind of education he has. I'm not sure I agree with all his conclusions, but it's all very insightful.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

It says a lot about our homocentricism that I found this dissertation, with its human examples, to be the most completely loving amazing one yet.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 31, 2013

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
This wife needs to work on her movie titles.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

scarycave posted:

This wife needs to work on her movie titles.

Or move to The Most loving Awesome Planet Ever. :allears:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I cannot make heads or tails of this planet's biology but I am laughing my rear end off.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
This species of aliens probably change gender as they become more successful. More success -> more male.

That's really weird.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I predict that NotPlume and Dunkirk will convince all three wives to work on a single project, like maybe an animated feature. They could probably get Warehouse and CDF to work together since the husband said they "like each other a lot" and appeal to Extension Cord's ego a bit.

I also can't help but notice all the artwork of datimas (male?) performing brave tasks in the background. It could lead to some possible movie ideas.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.

Jon Joe posted:

This species of aliens probably change gender as they become more successful. More success -> more male.

That's really weird.

Gender and success are definitely connected somehow. Everything we've seen so far about their culture seems to involve one or both of these elements: they either show how awesome/badass/successful a few OTHERS (males?) are (the paintings and statues, the guys mentioned in the newscast, the hero in the screenplay), or they convey how petty/poor/unsuccessful THEY (the females?) are in comparison to those others (the anchor in the newscast literally does this several times, Chance Disc Flipper has a machine that constantly tells her how incredibly awful her work is, and they do this all the time when talking about themselves).

I bet "being unsuccessful" will somehow turn out to a measure of how attractive a female is, and that being a loser is actually a highly sought after trait in Datima society.

Therefore, I suspect that by asking aliens to help his wives being more successful, Drill Hinge actually wants to sabotage their status, either to harm his wives in some way that is beneficial to him, or to strengthen his control over them by making them appear less attractive to other males.

There's also something going on with those towers, like the male trying to put as much distance as possible between himself and each of his wives. I bet their "marriages" and polygamy-thing in general will turn out to mean something quite different than what we'd initially expect.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hugs Boson posted:

Therefore, I suspect that by asking aliens to help his wives being more successful, Drill Hinge actually wants to sabotage their status, either to harm his wives in some way that is beneficial to him, or to strengthen his control over them by making them appear less attractive to other males.

I think the twist is going to be a lot simpler than that. Drill Hinge didn't tell them to make his wives more successful, he said he had two unsuccessful wives and one successful one, and asked them to help out with the problem.

He is really going to regret not being specific about that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

RandomFerret posted:

I think the twist is going to be a lot simpler than that. Drill Hinge didn't tell them to make his wives more successful, he said he had two unsuccessful wives and one successful one, and asked them to help out with the problem.

Drill's well aware that not-Plume and Dunkirk know gently caress-all his society, as indicated by him calling them out on not knowing the slaving law. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing, it won't be his own ignorance that defeats him, it'll be Thorsby being the author.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Buzkashi posted:

I cannot make heads or tails of this planet's biology but I am laughing my rear end off.

These are definitely the funniest aliens yet. I can't not laugh every time I see their goofy little eyes, teeth, and ears all together, along with the hilarious weird hands. And their names, let alone the artwork? God, it's just all so perfect.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

RandomFerret posted:

I really hope at some point they're going to realize "wait, every single time this happens we do the opposite of what we should've done. Clearly we have to NOT do what comes immediately to mind."

That'll be the one time that's the wrong thing to do, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Dinnertime must be utterly harrowing for these aliens if vegetables are such a source of dramatic tension.

• Locked thread