Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Speaking of Hyrule Warriors, Famitsu just announced Sheik, Darunia and Ruto as playable characters.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/22057624.html

The print article is also going to reveal new weapons for Impa and Lana as well as talk about Gold Skulltulas.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
2 male characters? What a sausagefest.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Lemming posted:

2 male characters? What a sausagefest.
Who's the other one? :confused: He mentioned only three characters of which Darunia is the only male one. Both Sheik and Ruto are women.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Who's the other one? :confused: He mentioned only three characters of which Darunia is the only male one. Both Sheik and Ruto are women.

The funny dude in the green pajamas. I think his name is Zelda.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Ahh I see, I thought he was only talking about the newly-revealed characters :doh:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doc V posted:

Speaking of Hyrule Warriors, Famitsu just announced Sheik, Darunia and Ruto as playable characters.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201407/22057624.html

The print article is also going to reveal new weapons for Impa and Lana as well as talk about Gold Skulltulas.
This is way too close to release without a Groose or Tingle announcement

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I wonder how Ruto fights...this game seems pretty cool all things considered. Of course, I've never really played Dynasty Warriors.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PrBacterio posted:

Ahh I see, I thought he was only talking about the newly-revealed characters :doh:

To be fair, I could have been one of the weirdos that thinks that Zelda literally turns into a man when she puts on the Sheik disguise.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
NIntendo wants some feedback on their social media coverage during E3

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/491637049750216704

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

pokeyman posted:

So it's a way to move all your saves, VC games, and so on to a new console without calling Nintendo and shipping boxes around the continent?

Yup.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Astro7x posted:

Honestly via the Treehouse coverage alone I feel they destroyed MS and Sony and finally adapted to the 21st century and provided an E3 that was open and accessible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

Honestly via the Treehouse coverage alone I feel they destroyed MS and Sony and finally adapted to the 21st century and provided an E3 that was open and accessible.

The Treehouse stuff was the best marketing I've seen from a game company since... well, maybe forever. I'm so used to these tightly controlled demos where I might as well be watching a video. The more freeform Treehouse told me a lot more about what the games were going to be like than the five minute video of The Witcher 3 (which I'm sure will be good since the previous two games were, but that was a bad, by-the-numbers demo they were doing for people at E3). The biggest problem with it is that they might not have had enough to show.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

The Treehouse stuff was the best marketing I've seen from a game company since... well, maybe forever. I'm so used to these tightly controlled demos where I might as well be watching a video.

I agree 100%. The big stage shows that MS and Sony put on are great for train wrecks, but really all that I feel like I am doing is watching a reel of trailers that might as well be on a YouTube channel. It is stupid and huge for no reason as far as regular consumers are concerned. I felt like I was getting a much better and unique experience that I could not get otherwise when watching Treehouse.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I liked when they had the Splatoon devs face off against the game testers and the testers got owned multiple times in a row, that was great. And then they made rude squid gestures.

Edit: Splatoon will save video games

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 22, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lemming posted:

I liked when they had the Splatoon devs face off against the game testers and the testers got owned multiple times in a row, that was great. And then they made rude squid gestures.

Edit: Splatoon will save video games

Describe these rude squid gestures

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They were more like squid gang signs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kycn7GBqoFs&t=836s

Squid dev supremacy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Speaking of live events:

quote:

On July 25 and July 26, Nintendo will stream Nintendo Challenge Live, a stage show hosted from the Nintendo Gaming Lounge [at San Diego Comic-Con] that features intense tournament competition and awesome game-play challenges from some of the hottest upcoming games on Nintendo platforms. Fans can open their browsers to http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo to catch all of the action and stick around for hours to soak in all the festivities.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

That is the kind of stuff I like to hear about. That stuff sells game consoles and software. Nintendo's marketing teams are doing a much better job than they were doing previously.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

I agree 100%. The big stage shows that MS and Sony put on are great for train wrecks, but really all that I feel like I am doing is watching a reel of trailers that might as well be on a YouTube channel. It is stupid and huge for no reason as far as regular consumers are concerned. I felt like I was getting a much better and unique experience that I could not get otherwise when watching Treehouse.

Yeah, I put it in the response to the survey, but Sony and Microsoft's keynotes did as much to convince me to buy a Wii U as Nintendo's did. I'm soooooo tired of everything that they showed. This especially made me HATE what they are doing. I mean I had an almost physical reaction to this video.

This exact loving sequence has existed in every loving first person shooter for the past 10 years. You're in an aerial vehicle, rocket/explosion/collision occurs, warning bells start going off, platoon leader/other soldier yells at you to do something, aerial vehicle crashes, dazed and confused you walk out into a battlefield and take cover to shoot the enemies on the other side of the field.

Add muted colors and tough guy attitude and it's a cliche of a cliche of a cliche of a cliche we first saw during the dozens of WWII first person shooters in the late 90's-early 00's. This was Microsoft's big reveal, and it almost singlehandedly convinced me to get a Wii U.

I, honestly, can't adequately describe the emotion of disgust that came over me as I watched this live. Every second that goes by in this trailer does absolutely nothing but paint by numbers a videogame that I was already disgusted with in 2005. It's the videogame equivilent of a McDonald's cheeseburger without condiments. The very least imaginative, most highly processed piece of trash that the masses eat up by the millions because it does nothing to challenge the preconceived notions of people with more dollars than sense.

Then I saw Nintendo's stuff, and I don't know if this video just put me in the worst mood ever, but things like Captain Toad, Yoshi's Woolly World and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse just gave me that child-like feeling of anticipation for a videogame that I don't think I've had in 15 years.

It sucks that the Wii U numbers are such that there's not really any way to recover this generation, but it's honestly renewed my interest in videogames in a way that I haven't had in over a decade. I think I've put more hours on my Wii U in the past month than I put in video games overall for the 2-3 years prior to that.

tl;dr: I love the Wii U and I hate Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Fremry posted:

I, honestly, can't adequately describe the emotion of disgust that came over me as I watched this live. Every second that goes by in this trailer does absolutely nothing but paint by numbers a videogame that I was already disgusted with in 2005. It's the videogame equivilent of a McDonald's cheeseburger without condiments. The very least imaginative, most highly processed piece of trash that the masses eat up by the millions because it does nothing to challenge the preconceived notions of people with more dollars than sense.

But Kingdom hearts 3, project Diva, and the atlus stuff is nothing like this.

I would say Final Fantasy 15 but it's way too early to tell if they learned the lessons of Final Fantasy 13.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't by the numbers so much as it will require an encyclopedia to understand what's going on

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't by the numbers so much as it requires an encyclopedia to understand what's going on

I have that Excel chart that shows who/what are all the characters and what character is just the small fragments of another character. What's worse are the characters who are nothing but figments and fragments of those figments.

Never take LSD in the kingdom hearts universe or you'll wind up with a truckload of people at your place who have no idea who they are but are pretty angry about it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

I have that Excel chart that shows who/what are all the characters and what character is just the small fragments of another character. What's worse are the characters who are nothing but figments and fragments of those figments.

Never take LSD in the kingdom hearts universe or you'll wind up with a truckload of people at your place who have no idea who they are but are pretty angry about it.

This aspect of Kingdom Hearts has become such a hilarious feature in my mind that I never want any Kingdom Hearts to ever be different. For me, that would somehow deprive the series of some of its charm. I'd still love and play the heck out of a KH game that actually made sense and is easy to follow though.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Fremry posted:

It sucks that the Wii U numbers are such that there's not really any way to recover this generation, but it's honestly renewed my interest in videogames in a way that I haven't had in over a decade. I think I've put more hours on my Wii U in the past month than I put in video games overall for the 2-3 years prior to that.

Honestly, I don't give a poo poo about the numbers. All I care about is playing the awesome games that are coming out. I've spent more on Nintendo products in the last 6 months than I've spent on video games in general in the past year (If you leave out Steam Sales, you can extend that to 5+ years.) and I've still got a long list of stuff to get that was shown at E3.

Nintendo is delivering the goods, and I'm eating every bit of it up with a smile on my face.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Fremry posted:

tl;dr: I love the Wii U and I hate Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

Yeah I agree completely. I don't mind the military FPS stuff being available for people who want it, but I don't play video games for that kind of experience. I prefer much more creative fare, stuff that is interesting and innovative, something I can't possibly find in the real world. They have all this technology at their fingertips and this is the best they have to offer? The greatest thing they've got going for E3? Sad.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was indifferent towards all the consoles equally, but when I saw Yoshi's Wooly World I was almost sold on the Wii U. Then I looked up some games already out for the console and was sold, but had no plans on buying one in the near future. Then that Target sale happened a month ago and all I've been doing since is playing my Wii U. I loved the SNES and GCN, and the Wii U is almost to that tier in my opinion!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah I agree completely. I don't mind the military FPS stuff being available for people who want it, but I don't play video games for that kind of experience. I prefer much more creative fare, stuff that is interesting and innovative, something I can't possibly find in the real world. They have all this technology at their fingertips and this is the best they have to offer? The greatest thing they've got going for E3? Sad.

Yeah but it'll probably sell like 20 million copies or whatever so they probably don't feel like there's any reason to take any risks

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

The worst part is that they have far superior graphics tech available to them and they still can't seem to make things that look as good as some Wii U games. One of Nintendo's greatest strengths is their ability to design games that pop visually, and the upgrade to HD was absolutely stunning. The main reason I want to see a new Mario Galaxy game (Or at least a remake of the originals) is that the Wii ones looked amazing even in SD, and would only look better in HD.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 22, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Playing Super Mario 3D World for the first time. I thought 3D Land was good but nothing amazing, but SM3DW is just incredible. Between this and Mario Kart 8 I feel like Nintendo's design philosophy for their games of late has been "let's just make a fun game" first and everything else is built on that principle. There's so much imagination without it feeling like a chore or like any innovation is happening out of obligation.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zonekeeper posted:

Honestly, I don't give a poo poo about the numbers. All I care about is playing the awesome games that are coming out. I've spent more on Nintendo products in the last 6 months than I've spent on video games in general in the past year (If you leave out Steam Sales, you can extend that to 5+ years.) and I've still got a long list of stuff to get that was shown at E3.

Nintendo is delivering the goods, and I'm eating every bit of it up with a smile on my face.

This is me exactly. I have enjoyed a lot of exclusive games on the Wii U already and there are plenty more to look forward to. There are almost zero games that I am looking forward to which are exclusive to the Xbone or the PS4 although I will probably cave and buy a PS4 for Final Fantasy 15 and Kingdom Hearts III eventually. I am a PC gamer but it isn't even that I am getting these games on the PC instead. In most cases, I am not interested in playing them at all. I still enjoy playing other games on my PC a lot but most are either exclusive to PC or were made for the PC first and ported later to consoles.

I suppose that I am in the minority, but I do wonder by how much.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

The worst part is that they have far superior graphics tech available to them and they still can't seem to make things that look as good as some Wii U games. One of Nintendo's greatest strengths is their ability to design games that pop visually, and the upgrade to HD was absolutely stunning. The main reason I want to see a new Mario Galaxy game (Or at least a remake of the originals) is that the Wii ones looked amazing even in SD, and would only look better in HD.

This is the difference between technical graphics capability and good aesthetic design. As an analogy, you can write a book on a super computer that renders the fonts instantaneously and does grammar checking, but if your story sucks it's going to be worse than one writen on a typewriter.

What a game system is capable of and what is designed are apples and oranges.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. Knowing the lifetime of consoles, I'll very likely end up buying a PS4 or Xbone, but this E3 turned me around from someone who was very critical of Nintendo's business choices to an incredibly happy and content Wii U owner that has had my otherwise waning interest in videogames rekindled by it.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 22, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zonekeeper posted:

Honestly, I don't give a poo poo about the numbers. All I care about is playing the awesome games that are coming out.

Neither does Nintendo apparently. Their whole E3 was just them basically going "we're still gonna support the system anyway, here's a bunch of rad gorgeous looking games comin at ya!"

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Neither does Nintendo apparently. Their whole E3 was just them basically going "we're still gonna support the system anyway, here's a bunch of rad gorgeous looking games comin at ya!"

They have enough cash on hand to make it through this console generation, but I'd be a lot happier if they were making money instead of losing it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Macaluso posted:

They care. They just know that in order to sell more consoles they have to support it with lots of great games and make people aware that those games exist.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Xavier434 posted:

They care. They just know that in order to sell more consoles they have to support it with lots of great games and make people aware that those games exist.

They're supposedly courting more support from other studios who they're looking to make into second party developers.

At most it would be great if the system rose above and was equal or greater than the n64 instead of the weaksauce like the Gamecube which was trampled upon and looks like a life support system once fully connected to all the attachments they released for it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Just wished it haden't taken them this long to get all these great games out. Maybe they would have sold more consoles

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Just wished it haden't taken them this long to get all these great games out. Maybe they would have sold more consoles

Everyone seems to be gearing up for 2015. Sony Microsoft and Nintendo all have their poo poo stacked into that one year that you're probably going to need to have multiple consoles to get all the worthwhile games that are coming. Playstation is going to have around 2-3 Tales games released within a year's time which is unheard of. Granted one is a game that America never got, but the fact they're releasing the formerly unreleased games as a test for others usually means we'll wind up getting more. This is also the same year when Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming out as well as Zelda. And Atlus had stuff too.

Anime will be bleeding out your eyes and become your blood.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 22, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, 2015 is going to be the year for those people who prefer to wait for a sizable library of games to be available on a console before they take the plunge and buy one or all of them. The 2014 holiday isn't a bad time for these kinds of consumers to buy either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Astro7x posted:

I hope a bunch of people fill this out and tell them how cool the Treehouse stream was. I know it's not likely to happen, but it would be really cool of they did that sort of thing more often than just during big trade shows.

• Locked thread