Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

There were a lot of people who thought they could do that with the PS3 and got burned.

I can promise you that there will be mountain of people doing that with the Wii U so you're going to have a flooded secondary market to go with the possibility that the Wii U will get off to a slow start (though I think that's unlikely). You've got a get rich quick scheme that's pretty obvious and that's going to reduce your return considerably.

Basically high effort, minimal reward with the added bonus that you're killing your soul a little bit by trying to exploit people.

Who was the goon that took a picture with his 14 wii consoles and got the forum title "I RUINED CHRISTMAS"? I forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bubble-T posted:

Nintendo admitting that their presentation was confusing to idiots doesn't really justify being an idiot.

I stayed up for the presentation and share MaxDuo's opinion - it was baffling how long people argued over something that was pretty obvious immediately to anyone with half a brain.

Mods, could someone call in fragmaster to do some readings? Thanks.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

You can buy all the games digitally at least if that's what you want!

Did they fix how nintendo accounts / game licenses are connected so that you can easily transfer licenses to another console, like between the 3ds and 3ds xl (i guess they had a system in place for dsi -> 3ds right?), or do you still have to call nintendo support and ask/beg them to do it (like with the wii)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is skylanders good on a competitive level.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you're asking whether you'll be able to buy WiiWare on the WiiU eShop then the answer is yes. If you're asking whether you'll be able to transfer WiiWare games from your Wii to your WiiU without them both being present in the same room then the answer is no.

Its pretty amazing that ITYOOL 2012 that they can make a system where you can buy and have a download history and redownload AND HAVE A NINTENDO ACCOUNT and not be able to transfer digital downloads anyway other than locally.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did the wii u version of sonic all stars racing transformed just get delayed? Amazon pushed back the delivery date to dec. 11 (gamestop still shows november 18 though)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think Mad Catz already announced one, didn't they?

They've had one that connects to the wiimote (like this one from hori) for like a year now. You could get it for as low as $20 at one point (with as good / better parts than the hori)

edit: found the announcement for new ones, but they didn't really make it clear if it was going to be the same one announced for xbox 360 and ps3, or a cheaper model (there is no wii u ttt2 te s+ listed on their site either)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 31, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Haven't all the black friday game give aways at old navy been really disappointing and a waste of time, even for campers (due to quantity on hand)

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I played rayman today at best buy - I haven't seen the original in person, but this one looked fantastic. I hope the murphy levels aren't so boring in the full release (I managed to get rayman stuck forever on a rope somehow, on my second time through). The rotating puzzle was kinda fun.

Gamestop appears to have just charged my bank account for the preorder - I thought they don't do that until they are about to ship?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Black Ops II can and I think ACIII can as well. I expect every game that doesn't depend on using two screens to have the feature.

I don't believe I've ever been witness to a live avatar / title changing before

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

The next console war has already been won.

You could buy food on the wii in japan. It even had a roulette option to randomly choose a restaurant for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoqQM_qnCKI

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It probably will look a little better to significantly better, depending on how terrible your tv's component input was compared to the hdmi ones, and how well it upscales content.

480p component input from the wii looked totally fine on my televisions, but I imagine theres a lot of lower end sets out there that cheaped out on upscaling and the analog inputs, resulting in a lot of the complaints you see about 480p looking like "rear end" (or maybe its just internet hyperbole, I don't know)

edit: The charge from gamestop disappeared the day after it appeared. I tried asking my bank about it, but they just told me to call gamestop and make sure the order is going through. The site shows no problems and their phone number is completely unreachable (always a busy tone)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 14, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There are ones available in store yes.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Who has done a hyped up console midnight launch in a big city before? I know it's pretty local-store-dependent, but between the big retailers like Best Buy, WalMart, Target, etc. what is the best bet for a decent experience? Really hoping I don't have to get in line earlier than 12 hours prior to launch.

All I remember from doing 2 overnighters for wiis (one for me and for my brothers) was that the gamestop one on black friday was ok (I could hear emergency vehicles entering / leaving the best buy area a quarter mile a way twice that night), and the people at the target one the weekend before christmas had some generally tolerable older folks getting it for kids (the assholes started comin in at 6am, even though we already knew how many there would be from the manager the night before).

Release night target was just a long line of old fat dudes waiting to flip this poo poo. I would not recommend best buy, if their black friday crowd is any indication.

The gamecube midnight release wasn't bad at walmart, we got to sit next to layaway on red stools for a few hours. People showed up significantly earlier for the wii one when I swung by to check.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

Buy one, get one 40% off on all Wii U (and Wii) games
20% off any one regular-priced item coupon (in weekly flyer, valid 11/18-11/21)
Flingsmash w/ Wii Remote Plus - $24.99 (although I think people mentioned getting it for cheaper)

I got flingsmash both in store and on their site, with pick up in store. The former let me do the b1g1 -40%, the latter was doing an additional 20% off clearance items (but I could only put one in my cart per order), so it ended up the same.

edit: I also don't remember the b1g1 40% off applying to wii u titles either.

Waffleopolis posted:

There's also one for Old Navy where if you spend $40 or more, you get a free copy of New Super Mario Bros. U. I checked the Old Navy here and said they'll have like 40 copies to give away, so it might be hard to get.

don't bother

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 18, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bluegoon posted:

Anyone care to explain to me what that last statement means? Digital Content Privilege? This is BT Games South Africa.

Is there an actual market in brazil for a $2350 wii u?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does that mean its restored on the next system or what (and/or you can put saves on your sd card)

edit oh my god yall remember when i asked if this was gonna continue to be a problem im sorry

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh lord that mickey mouse framerate.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

It doesn't sound like you'd be able to perform the transfer.

The way it works is: Transfer software is downloaded to both consoles. You start up the software on the Wii U, and it preps your SD card. Then you start up the software on the original Wii, and use it to copy your data onto the prepped SD card. Then you return the SD card to the Wii U.

Weirdly, while save data is carried over on the SD card, software is not; instead, all your software is redownloaded for you. I suppose that's meant to ensure that you can't possibly bring over any unauthourized programs.

What if you are using the wii sd card channel to hold games - will it pick up that stuff?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

nerdbot posted:

Ahh, huh. Is the transfer irreversible?

Nevertheless, I'm sure I can do some slightly-illicit tinkering to keep everything in one place. Thanks for the info.

If your wii is hacked and you can back up / restore your NAND, you could do that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Surlaw posted:

Thanks, that's pretty annoying. I wasn't planning on picking one up right away but this will definitely make me hold off until I upgrade my TV.

They have breakouts and switches that also have breakouts

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Surlaw posted:

I have no idea what this means and Google didn't help me much so any further explanation would be really appreciated, thanks!

I've seen a few boxes that will decode and break out the audio into 2 rca jacks or an optical jack - hdmi audio extractor would be the keywords on ebay. I have no idea how this might affect latency or anything like that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Anyone have some good disassembled pics of the console or tablet?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Nintendo-Wii-U-Teardown-Photos-and-Video

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Finally finished moving all my data from both Wiis, but I still can't get the Wii U to regonize my Western Digitial external hard-drive. It might be because it has some worthless feature that keeps a "cd" to install the driver, but I can't find a way to purge it from the hard-drive.

This might help

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/passport-vcd.html

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Supercar Gautier posted:

It actually feels really great. Even as goofy as it looks compared to a sleek minimalist tablet, the curved edges and the low weight were absolutely the correct design decisions; it's extremely comfortable.

You can only use Miis in the other modes, not in the main game.

There's some weird decisions about play modes in NSMBU. Why would the Pro Controller not be supported? Why not allow the Gamepad to control a character in multiplayer? Mysteries.

Does the pro controller have a tilt sensor?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the mii you select during the beginning of your wii u setup changeable, I have one on my wii I want to transfer / use and dont really wanna remake my perfect likeness

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
is the nintendo network sign in the same as your club nintendo sign in, or are they separate? having trouble linking up my account

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Lame, I can't transfer LostWinds

edit: I also learned today that I had 650+ miis in my mii parade :wtf:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

beergod posted:

Man they aren't kidding about th Mii Code of Conduct. I posted an inside joke with a friend in my profile ("kill ur parents lol") and they restricted my ability to post or make my profile public. I had to change it and send them a confirming message and they still haven't unrestricted my profile yet. Careful!

That sounds like a really dumb joke, and a really dumb place to put it!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tried my wii u on a standard def television just for kicks (being able to sit on my couch and possibly use this with other people would be nice though). Not really impressed with the forced 16:9 on the main menu. Microsoft can still figure out how to make console ui's that work fine in both aspect ratios, not sure why nintendo couldn't be arsed to just change the camera a little and add some white space to the channel menu, depending on orientation.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Legdiian posted:

Am I the only one that is holding out for a deluxe because it's black?

I wish I could have gotten a white deluxe to be honest. This glossy plastic is killing me w/r/t dust and fingerprints

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm going to be honest here, what games actually USE the analogue triggers, besides just the simple button press? I Really cannot remember a function in any game where that occurred.

Driving games

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Any good deals I should watch out for, or are they all the same standard price.

(This should be in the OP)Flingsmash is on clearance at toys r us. Either using TRU online's additional 20% off clearance items (don't know if this is still active) or the brick and mortar's b1g1 40% off (online has this too, but would only let me put in one copy of flingsmash per order) the price should be $20 + tax. You can choose pick up at store for online orders if you only want one wiimote or something.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 24, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Revol posted:

I don't give a poo poo about achievements, either, but I'd like them to do something that I found impressive with Assassin's Creed III. I don't know how other platforms do it, but on PC, it has minimal amounts of achievements through Ubisoft's uPlay format. The point behind it is, the points you get from achieving something, you get to spend. With AC3, you can get a wallpaper (who cares), or in-game stuff, like item upgrades and skins.

This would be perfect for Nintendo. All rewards that you could earn from in-game achievements could give you points to spend on accessories for your Mii. Much like the Mii hats on the 3DS, but on the level of 360 avatar customization, without paying real money for it.

Uplay is on the wii u, but they haven't released the app yet to set it up.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

why don't you want those stats collected?

Are you serious? That literally should never have to be asked ever ever ever ever

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can't get any of my friends into Nintendoland because all the stuff on the train / party mode is super easy / level 1 versions of all the games. Wish I could fix that.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Both times we did the zelda minigame during the 9 game set, it just gave us the first archery level (which is interesting, but kinda trivial after the first time through). Also party mode for more than two people was silly, because it would just 2 player games and have the third guy bet on the winner.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 28, 2012

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fleedar posted:

Oddly enough, it looks like the system outputs a bit of underscan when in Wii mode. I have a black border about 20-30 pixels wide when playing Wii games unless I turn 1:1 mode off.

the wii menu (and several wii games) would do render their screen in 640x448, instead of 720x480. My TV would automatically cut this off on the component input, but I guess they decided to have whatever is scaling the wii mode image not cut it off. Some games I've seen render to the full. I wonder why they just didn't extend the white into the non safe area when designing the wii menu.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fabulous Knight posted:

As I understand it, Virtual Console games are not available for play on the Gamepad. I'm fine with that. I'm going to get a Wii U in the next couple of weeks but since there isn't that much out for the console just yet aside from NSMBU that interests me and I have actually never owned a Nintendo home console of my own, what I want to know is 1) is the virtual console "feature" still up already at this point for purchases, 2) if so, do these purchases (let's say, just hypothetically, Majora's Mask for example) show up in the Wii U main menu like an "integral" part of the system, and 3) since the Gamepad isn't available for these games, can they be played with the Pro controller or is the Wiimote required? Come to think of it, has anybody here really had any experience with downloading stuff from the Virtual Console on the Wii U yet?

1) On the wii shop channel of wii mode, yes
2) No
3) Wii controllers only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Look harder at that post

• Locked thread