Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is anyone else having issues where the Wii U will lock up and emit a constant tone? It's happened three times now playing Nintendo Land games and I don't know if I have a hardware issue or if the game is just crashing?

I can't find any references to it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ahh so I did find a couple threads with this problem:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/78453#78453
http://techforums.nintendo.com/message/78440#78440

I guess it's a software issue then?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
This lockup issue is getting really annoying and there are a ton of people complaining about it. Nobody else is experiencing this? It's probably happened 6 times since I got the console yesterday.

Someone on the Nintendo forums took a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2UhaepkdFI

It pretty much happens at random in any Nintendo Land game, but other people are reporting it in other games as well.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Radnor posted:

It happened to me. I tried to play the Pikmin game and it locked up just after I became Olimar. I had to yank the power cord to turn off the Wii U. :(

The Nintendo tech forums are getting a bunch of people complaining as well as people posting in Miiverse. I thought I might have gotten a defective console, but after seeing all the reports, it sounds like it is probably a software issue that is affectig many people.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Supercar Gautier posted:

Is anyone else able to power off their console from a crash by holding the power button for a few seconds? That doesn't work on mine, and I feel like it ought to. The original Wii did it, as does just about any consumer electronic device.

I have to pull the power plug every time it crashes.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
On the subject of crashes, I think the fix for Nintendo Land crashing is to set the language to English only. Someone suggested that on the Miiverse community and I haven't had a crash since. It may be too early to tell, but they were very frequent before.

To change the language, go into Nintendo Land, click options, click visitor admission, and select English only.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Has there been any word on the hardlocking issue from Nintendo? I thought it might be a small, vocal population, but I even saw it happen on Giantbomb's stream from Sunday. Seems like it's happening quite a bit.

I'm still not convinced the Wii U is a good move on Nintendo's part, nor do I have reason to believe it is going to be able to compete after the new consoles come out, and publishers begin putting their B teams to make unique ports of games. But I'm still getting one with my tax return in a few months. Then again, I'm not the average video game consumer as I've had every major console release since the 16 bit age (if you count the two hours I owned a broken Saturn).

I'm interested enough in Mario Wii U (side-scrolling Mario games are my favorite from the series), Scribblenauts Unlimited (which I may end up buying on Steam before) and ZombiU. Outside of that, I guess if you're not into Pikmin or Monster Hunter like I'm not, the biggest announced releases of 2013 would be Rayman and Aliens, right? Anything else confirmed for next year that's crazy amazing?

Here is a post from our beloved Reddit that claims a patch is coming in the next week or so: http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/13j96l/just_got_off_the_phone_with_nintendo_tech_support/

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

That'd be nice if it were a software issue. I had assumed it was hardware since some people in this thread said their consoles stopped working altogether after some hardlocks.

Of course, that post could be a lie for some weird reason, but eh. Surely by the time I'm ready to blow my tax return in February (early, but that's when I got it this year), we'll have a decent idea of the scope of hardware failures.

Thanks.

It appears to be software. I was getting a crash every 20-45 minutes in Nintendo Land and someone suggested changing the language to English only. After I made that change I haven't had a crash yet, so there definitely seems to be something strange going on.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
moving to SA mart.

Shadowgate fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 21, 2012

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Policenaut posted:

You should really edit this post out and put it in SA Mart, I believe its probatable to solicit things outside there.

Oops ok. I was just trying to offer it to people in this thread, but I'll move it.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

That was a 1-900 number and you probably cost your parents many :10bux:. :laugh:

Yeah wasn't it something like $2 or $3 a minute?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

NEED MOAR GAMEZ

Seriously, release some god drat games! I haven't touched this thing in months.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love how all we have to look forward to is a game that is 19 years old. Where are the new WiiU games?!

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

MinibarMatchman posted:

You mean all the new ones they've previewed in previous Directs and the ones confirmed to be shown at E3?

Great, so I've had the console since November, 6 months, and now I get to see some games at E3, in June!?

Sorry, a few month lull is acceptable, but this launch is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If I ask what games are coming out soon, I'll be told the same thing since the system came out (Pikmin, Rayman, Wonderful 101 etc) and now we know a Mario, Smash Bros and whatever else is announced at E3, which in my opinion isn't much as I could have told you those games would come out.

But now I'm hearing from developers that they're skipping the system and I'm buying such gems as Jeopardy because it'll give the WiiU some play while I realize its been 8 months. 8 months! There's literally no excuse now.

Jack poo poo is coming out. I've never regretted buying a console more.

• Locked thread