Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

bradzilla posted:

Thought I could beat the rush, so opened our Wii U early. I was wrong, it's been an hour and the update is not even 50% downloaded yet. :negative:

Yeah takes about 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I've been having problems downloading games (taking a really long time, erroring out if I don't baby sit the download screen.) I just changed my IP/DNS to specify rather than auto detect and for whatever reason it halved by download time and seems to be much faster.

I think most of the slowness is Nintendo's server, don't get why DNS would have anything to do with it once it is already downloading..but I'll take it.

Several hours to download 5 gb on a 50 mbit connection is kinda ridiculous. I was at 38% of ZombiU when I went to bed last night and even though I set it to download and then turn off it only made it to 55% before erroring.

edit: still getting errors but it IS downloading twice as fast as before.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 29, 2012

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I was thinking of the loading time improvements they talked about.

I think that turned out to be a mistranslation.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

wow this conversation is really enlightening.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

The wii required hdds to be formatted to WBFS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WBFS (wii backup file system) and I assume the wii u uses the same thing. You could try partitioning it but I would bet it just overwrites everything and repartitions it as one disk.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Havent seen much talk about The Cave but it is definitely worth the price, you get a different game based on which 3 characters you choose (different puzzles etc) and works like a The Lost Vikings puzzle/adventure game. It is funny, graphics are nice, and the puzzles can be pretty drat tricky. There are a few frame rate issues but its just aesthetic--as far as fun it is worth it.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 24, 2013

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

The beginning basically has no instructions so: select a character you want to use, go to the right and pick up the crowbar. Take the character to the left and pull off the entrance to the cave. Use the directional pad to look at the other characters. They each have a special ability and will determine some of the puzzles you get. Once you decide which three you want to use enter the cave with all three--switching with the controller screen or directional pad--and start.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

If you've already completed The Cave once, try carrying one of those hot dogs from the beginning through the game next time.

Hopefully there are some more tricks like this.

Yeah I was wondering about the can of corn and some of the other things. Haven't tried that yet.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Remember when the wii came out and nintendo printed mone for several years? I think they're gonna be OK.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, getting away from the doom and gloom stuff, I sold back my copy of Black Ops. A friend of mine saw me with it and he goes "You got it for the WiiU? :confused: Is it even in HD or is it just Wii games on the tablet?" Several other people at the gamestop, that looked young and were buying games of their own, turned their heads and wore expressions of interest.

When I said the WiiU was probably more capable than the 360 and Black Ops was an absolutely complete port of the 360 version, online features and all, a lot of people had surprised looks on their faces.

Advertise your loving console better Nintendo.

Same thing with all my friends, they see the controller and go "oh you got the new wii? I thought yours was broken."
"yeah *points at the console*"
"oh its a whole new console???"

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Google Street U is really cool for showing friends the wii's capabilities. So far everyone I've shown has been like 'whaaat this is awesome!"

I wish I could put in two addresses and then have it "drive" between them, that would be really cool.

Does the ethernet adapter help at all with download speeds? I have a 50 mbit connection and I've been trying to download assassin's creed for about 24 hours, it says right now that it will be done in 6 hours but even that is ridiculous long.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 23, 2013

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Anecdotal but I haven't hard lock at all. I did have a few locks while playing zombiu a month or so ago, so I know what you mean. But yeah, nintendo land has worked flawlessly for me.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

This is such a loving joke:

This is after 15 hours of downloading, having to baby sit it to prevent it from erroring it out (and having to entirely restart the download once.)

Speed test run from my laptop, using the same wireless router as the wii. In the same room as the wii.

Speed test on the wii. What???

26% of the full 16 gb file size complete means I have downloaded 4.16 gb, with 11.84 gb left to go.

48.216 hours is 173,580 seconds.
(11.84 gigabytes) / (173 580 seconds) = 71.5 KBps what. the. gently caress.

edit: out of nowhere its finally speeding up and im now getting 633 KB/s (nintendo is listening to me bitch through the controller's microphone!!!!!!!!) Still pretty poo poo, but 4 hours is better than the 48 it has been claiming it would take since last night.

ascii genitals fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 23, 2013

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Static Rook posted:

Even worse, once it's done you'll have to play AC3. :v: (Although if the multiplayer is still active it might be okay.)

Yeah I liked the first two ok, they get boring quickly, but I just wanted something violent to play around with until better games come out and I'm tired as poo poo of stuff like black ops.

I need something to tide me over till sim city comes out in 2 weeks :P

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Someone asked earlier if the wii was 3d capable, and it definitely is. Assassin's Creed has the option to turn it on. Framerate suffers slightly but when you're on top of a big building the depth is really cool.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

njsykora posted:

It's very telling of how big 3DTV has gotten that the first I ever knew of this was in the OP of this thread. That's going to go down alongside HDDVD as one of the all time great tech non-starters.

I don't know, it doesn't take that much extra technology to add it to a TV these days. It was very expensive a few years ago, but now its pretty easy to get and everyone who has used our TV likes it. Certainly a gimmick, but its fun :P.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

And yes, Pro Wrestling on the NES ruled. I wish Nintendo made a remake with F-Zero GX style characters/graphics. The Amazon could become the head biting commissioner.

An F-Zero game that also has a futuristic space wrestling component. When you get tired of racing you can play wrestling mode with your friends. Tournaments could include a wrestling stage to determine the ultimate champion. And you can bite faces.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Gandalf21 posted:

Just played through the Runner 2 demo. Wow, that was a ton of fun.

I wanted a full game of the Castle Rock type levels from the Rayman Legends demo and here it is!

I never played the original. Is it worth a download?

It is good but pretty unforgiving.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Xenomorph posted:

I got the system to play Nintendo games in HD (Mario, Zelda, etc), not to fight with an "always on" GamePad with a terrible battery.

Your life sounds hard as gently caress man, I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

PrBacterio posted:

Is anyone else as excited as I am for that Captain Toad game? It looked much more amazing that I could have ever imagined on the treehouse stream :ohdear:

Absolutely. I think it looks great, really almost all the games they've shown have me excited but drat treasure hunting puzzle excitement in that beautiful world? Yes plz.

• Locked thread