Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well the Walmart near me didn't have any pre-orders at all. The guy didn't even know what I was talking about. Their online pre-order is only for their $400+ bundle and everywhere else I looked seems to be out. Anyone still having success with finding online pre-orders?

Really wish Amazon US was doing pre-orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

horchata posted:

you can reserve the non-bundle version but I had to navigate a bit

If you have a link to this handy (deluxe version please) I would be very grateful. I was going to buy the bundle but I realized that all I really need day 1 is NintendoLand and NSMBU. and not a wiimote I'd be paying extra money for.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Didn't realize NSMBU was going to be so violent:

(Walmart's website, noticed it after pre-ordering)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd imagine Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3 for Wii U was part of a deal relating to Team Ninja working on Metroid Other M.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is it just me or does ZombiU sound more and more like Zombie Souls. Leaving messages, corpse running for loot, other players's zombies "invade" your game, the supposed difficulty and ease of death--it all sounds very Souls-like.

And that's not a bad thing at all!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I passed on MHTri last generation but the way it's being talked about here coupled with what we believe to be much stronger internet connectivity and the HD graphics make for a very compelling argument to get it come March.

Then again I feel like I want every WiiU game coming out in the launch window! I should probably stop being so excited or my wallet is going to kill me.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Took Zavvi about a month for them to ship me Last Story and Pandora's Tower earlier this year though I wrote that off as international shipping.

Damned if they weren't a steal though. About $60 each for both of them as Limited Editions and only €1 per item international shipping.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I know it's not exactly what people are looking for but I figure I'll probably be using Skype to talk with friends while playing online. I never talk to randoms online so I won't care as much about not having voice chat in-game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm having this debate with my friends right now. For Nintendo's next 2d Mario platformer (after NSMB U), introduce a level creator and implement a system like Little Big Planet of online play and ranking maps thru popularity. I mean, who hasn't wanted to make their own Mario Level?

Thoughts?

Go search "smw hack" on youtube. You will find tons and tons of custom made mario levels people make using the super-accessible editor, Lunar Magic. 99% are not very good.

I've been making these levels four going on five years now and I've only just started making levels that I think could be considered well-designed. An editor would be awesome, but it's incredibly hard to produce Nintendo-quality levels.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bobnumerotres posted:

So, wait, to use a hard drive on the U, it needs to be formatted for the U and then can't be used on a PC?

If it's anything like playing Wii games off an external drive, you need to create a partition on your hard drive to install to. The Wii used something called WBFS format and needed its own partition to install and play games from. Now granted, this was all done through homebrew programs, so I don't know how much those programs did on the inside to help this all along.

Regardless, once a partition was WBFS formatted, a computer couldn't recognize it. Hence creating the partition, leaving you with a section of the drive that can still be accessed by a computer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

flyboi posted:

The WBFS limitation was removed, FAT32 and NTFS both work now. Anyways, likely the reason behind this is much like how the internal hd works on PS3. I'm going to guess for security reasons the hard drive data will be entirely encrypted to a certificate unique to each console to reduce the risk of people snatching data off it.

Ah nice to know. It's been years since I formatted the drive so I didn't know about this.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Re: Coin Battles and custom coin placements:

You just know that kids are going to love the hell out of this mode. Make a Mario level (or as close as we've ever gotten before) and play it with friends? That's the sort of thing children will love to play with for a long time.

Will it be of much use to me? Probably not. I'll probably mess around with it a little but just because it's not 100% useful to me doesn't mean I'm going to write it off as useless.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Walmart has shipped my deluxe and NSMBU. Should get the system on the 19th or later and NSMBU after the 21st. Looking forward to it. I'm also figuring out if I want to get Little Inferno on WiiU or Steam. I loved World of Goo too much to pass up their new game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Played NSMBU and Little Inferno both on the GamePad with headphones plugged in while in bed last night. System rocks and I can't wait for more games that allow gamepad only play.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So, Little Inferno is a great game and it's made perfect with the use of the Gamepad. I didn't know what to expect going into it but it has a surprising amount of depth for a game about burning things in a fireplace. Certain aspects remind me of little F2P games for your phone, like the wait for items to arrive and the simple touchscreen nature. Overall it's very relaxing and fun and even manages to have a couple of surprises in it.

Speaking of indie games, does anyone have any opinions on Mighty Switch Force? I watched the video for it on eShop and it looked pretty enjoyable. Also, does it run Gamepad only?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Here's a question to those who have Sonic & Sega Racing since the topic of analogue/digital triggers and driving games came up again: What button do you press to accelerate and if it's the right trigger, do you feel like you're at a disadvantage not having analog control?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm thinking of getting Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and Scribblenauts Unlimited but I want to know if they both have Gamepad only capabilities. If not, I'll probably still pick them up but I've fallen in love with Gamepad only functionality on games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well there goes another bunch of my money, thanks for the fast replies you guys.

Help this console is draining my wallet and I love it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well just had my first freeze while playing Mario. Miiverse is set to English, all the little hotfixes are in place. I'll call it a fluke for now, hoping it doesn't become an occurance.

Mario is still very fun!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Okay, Scribblenauts Unlimited is more fun than it has any right to be. Playing on the Gamepad only with the stylus to type and control most aspects (minus Maxwell's movement) is very comfortable. The addition of stacking adjectives is great fun (I know this was in the second game but I passed on that one) and I've already been plenty creative with my solutions. They shall always gaze upon my Barbecue statue fountain with adoration.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well there was only so much legitimate first impression review sites could give on Miiverse considering online features don't truly begin working as intended (or unintended) until a mass of consumers have it. The rest mostly turned out to be alarmism.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I had to do the same the other day with Warriors Orochi 3 and yeah, it took a huge amount of time to install after downloading.

Also, WO3 is 16GB. It's the FEAR of WiiU.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

japtor posted:

Supposedly a lot of the movement is based off contract work, like a bunch hired to work on a project then may or may not stay afterwards, not sure about movement among the higher ups though. I think they moved into a big rear end new building a little while ago (and presumably hiring more), which has led to speculation of them working on multiple projects like maybe a FPS and a platformer (I vaguely remember people thinking they were working on DKC again, before this Yoshi rumor at least).

I'd never even thought about a Retro Studios produced Yoshi's Island game but dammit I am now. Basically I'll day 1 buy anything Retro makes at this point.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Been playing Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper a little and I have to say it's a lot of fun. Been playing on the Gamepad only because apparently that's all I do now and it works perfectly. Framerate is pretty steady, only dipping slightly when tons of dudes and particles are involved. There seems to be a massive amount of content in this game. There's a time travel element involved in the game's Story Mode and I've been comparing the game to a mashup between Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and Chrono Trigger in that you have to unlock missions in the past by saving people whose pasts have events that could help you save other people all so you can build up your army to be huge and fight the big bad Hydra.

Lots of fun so far with tons and tons of characters, customization, and bonuses to unlock. I could see this game taking an easy 50-70 hours to unlock the characters and bonuses and another 50-70 to level characters up.

Oh and it has 2-player as well, though I haven't tried it out yet. Seems like you can play it with one person on Gamepad and one on TV so each has their own screen to work with.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Gamepad controls for Scribblenauts are what made me get the game on WiiU. There's something great about not having to sit at a computer sometimes. Now I can play in a different room or in bed if I want instead of at the computer. I also got it $10 cheaper because of a sale with helped offset the price difference a little bit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gendo posted:

I'm pretty sure he was speaking specific to his set up.

Correct. My laptop is 4 years old and sometimes chugs while playing 480p videos on Youtube. Those other items are rather expensive and I can't justify buying them or upgrading my laptop especially after having chosen to buy the Wii U this year and a desktop last year.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Miiverse is awesome. (That's Iggy Koopa's castle)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Considering I seem to always have the 3D turned off on my 3DS anyways, I know I wouldn't benefit from the glasses-free tech on the Pad itself. Not to mention I bet it would have driven up the cost of the system some more.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The demo for Rayman Legends is a hell of a lot of fun. Looks beautiful and has plenty of charm to it. I didn't even mind the Murphy level because it still managed to be fun to play and control. Castle Rock was awesome to play and I echo the hopes that there are more of these cool music levels.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It won't exactly be the live blogging you're looking for but I'm sure this thread will be moving with the Direct.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It just means that it's all real users and not fake Nintendo ones.

Edit: Two System Updates coming in spring and summer, no specific dates. They will address the slow game startup times and the slow menu navigation.

Edit 2: WiiU Virtual Console coming with Spring Update, will not contain all of the Wii VC selection for some reason. NES and SNES games are being re-developed for WiiU version.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 23, 2013

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The 30 cents gets you a trial purchase I think. I don't know if it's a demo though. Balloon Fight is supposed to be released for 30 cents today after the Direct so I'm sure we'll find out soon.

Pikmin 3 cameras!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

No new Nintendo-produced games in January or February for Wii U.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Lousigod is probably crying tears of joy after seeing the new Monolith game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't even begin to imagine how SMT x Fire Emblem is going to work.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I was just replaying a part of the Direct that lagged out for me and after the SMT x FE video, Iwata mentioned that there are more of these collaborations in development and that he will let us know of more as time goes by. Considering I don't think anyone managed to predict Samurai Warriors X Pokemon nor this one, I can only imagine what else is in store down the road.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Rethinking the linearity of dungeons in the new Zelda made me think of Zelda 1 and its ability to go to chose a dungeon order. I know a bunch of people here have expressed interest in Nintendo doing that again.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Having an actual HD Wind Waker also benefits those whose PCs can't run Dolphin. Also, 99% of the general Wii U install base.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The other part of the Wind Waker announcement was that they intend to use it as a launch point for younger gamers, presumably those young kids that got a shiny new Wii U for Christmas, to jump into the Zelda franchise for the first time. At least, that's what Iwata said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

MUFFlNS posted:

I just saw that screenshot comparison somebody posted here showing the difference between the GameCube and Wii U versions of Wind Waker, and was wondering if anything was said about more GameCube remakes? I ask due to interest regarding a remake of F-Zero GX since I consider that to be one of the best GameCube games. If they announced that along with a remake of Killer 7 I'd buy a Wii U without hesitation.

Is there anywhere that I could watch a recording of the Nintendo Direct video?

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/01-23-2013/

There you go, direct on Nintendo's site.

• Locked thread