Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeeDless posted:

I don't understand this, how could a console possibly need a gigabyte for it's operating system? Windows 7 doesn't even use that much.

Surely 1.5GB for games and 512MB for system software would make more sense.

Maybe you can do video chat and stuff right from in-game. Also I thought W7 required 2 gigs of RAM because it used 1GB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LeeDless posted:

It seems to be a little less than that. With 4GB of RAM I usually have between 21% and 24% memory usage when I don't have anything running.

Well in that case presumably it could do with even less because W7 stores stuff in open space in your RAM to make applications open faster or something like that. I know it uses more the more RAM you have. It is a mystery.

I dunno, it's possible that either the Wii U OS does a lot of poo poo(remember it's a whole social network!) or they're just trying to future proof it a bit so if they decide to make it do more it doesn't get bogged down.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

All the gamefaqs-esque posts around here and other threads are so :psyduck:. As others have said people are expecting Sony and Microsoft's consoles to be quantum leaps in visuals, and they won't be. They're going to be "Run BF3 much better" consoles and compete with the Wii U fairly directly.

Even if it's true that the Durango will only have a 6670-equivalent in it that will be vastly, vastly(VASTLY) superior to the X1800-equivalent the 360 currently has.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Maybe he's actually talking about the Saturn and Dreamcast.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

zenintrude posted:

Except neither had 'Mom games" or life support... they were hardcore till the day they died.

Replace mom game with dating sim I guess?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

So no Nsmbu or ZombiU? Wow.

NSMBU and ZombiU are launch day games. He was correcting the OP, not listing all of the launch day games.

edit: My source is Nintendo.com which lists both for Nov 18th.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

Has Epic even made anything outside of Gears in the last five years? I guess there's Bulletstorm but that was more of a cult hit than a big system mover.

Shadow Complex. And even though a lot of goons really loved it, Bulletstorm was more of an outright bomb than a cult hit, unfortunately.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TaurusOxford posted:

I find it odd how you never see anyone run up and grab the console before it gets smashed. That's what i'd do at least if I had the opportunity.

Why? It belongs to him.

Not that he's not being the biggest possible shitbird by smashing the console for no reason but I don't see what you could do about it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

I heard on a podcast one of the makers of ZombiU literally said dark souls was it's biggest influence.

It's openworld objective based. With safe houses. I don't know a lot about demon/dark souls but it sounds like hubs. But you get specific goals.

Demon's Souls has a hub, Dark Souls is an open world with safe houses(bonfires). Dark Souls is the best game ever made so if Zombi U wants to out-and-out copy it that's cool with me.

quote:

You can play games entirely on the controller as long as you're close enough to the console. It also has a TV control button, which lets you use the pad as a TV remote. Up to two GamePads can be supported by the console, but Nintendo will not sell the GamePad separately until there are games that make use of this.

From the OP. Can someone link me to an official statement on this?

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 19, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

No, sorry I meant to bold the part I meant, which was the bit about playing a game wholly on the gamepad. I found a source, albeit unofficial, over here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/nintendo-wii-u/

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Right. I don't think any developer would pass up on gamepad display if they could avoid it, since it's such a useful feature.

What if their game relies on two screens?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PonchAxis posted:

I'm absolutely baffled that Nintendo still has not revealed anything other than Miiverse about their online strategy at all. Seriously we are like 2 months away and we know nothing. Local multiplayer is cool and all but I barely play local multiplayer at all ever. Goddamn man

Not trying to be contrary or anything here, but what do you want to know?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

-Finally get the confirmation that there will be Live-ish tags instead of being 99% sure due to Third Parties spilling the beans left and right during interviews.

-Cross-game voice chat and text chat

-Voice chat with strangers online

These are all things we don't know, of Nintendo's new console, which claims to have a great online system, 2 months away from release.

It's nothing short of impressive in this day and age, where any employee can snap a quick video with their smartphone and "STAR FOX U TRAILER LEAKED!!!", but gently caress Nintendo and their extremely tight lid on everything.

Am I wrong or did they imply that you could voice chat with strangers during the miiverse or perhaps the video chat demonstration?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bongo Bill posted:

If the WiiU version of DQX supports running on just the gamepad, then wouldn't that make it, in a limited sense, the first handheld MMO? I guess there are some that run in browsers that can be played on a smartphone, though.

Policenaut posted:

iOS has had that Order and Chaos WoW clone for awhile now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Kingdom:_Own_the_World

There was an MMO for the N-gage.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Isn't the solution to try and buy the biggest digital distribution startup competitor and use your existing good relationship with console makers to get your service on their next machines?

For Gamestop, you mean? You mean like when they bought Impulse?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wonder if it's canon that the hardcore fans of Mario's theater troupe get really worked up about canon.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

boom boom boom posted:

Why? 4 is still PS3 exclusive, and the orignal MGS5, Peace Walker was exclusive for the longest time on the PSP.

Because Konami is doing horribly these days and is throwing money away if they don't get their game out to the widest possible audience.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just looks like the mech suits from Blacklight: Retribution which are pretty fun.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Have they talked about any digital download games for this thing yet? I'm hoping they bring King of Dragon Pass over.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry, really poor phrasing by me. I meant to ask if they had announced any download-exclusives.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

This is the grandfather of the Xbox controller, specifically the Duke(GOAT), and you will show some respect.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Honestly wasn't THAT bad. The d-pad/analog stick switch was probably the single worst thing about it.

edit: It seems like I might have crazy hands though because I think the Gamecube controller is practically unusable.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 2, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm really curious to try that split controller. That's one aspect of the Wiimote that I liked.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
They should have taken the opportunity to get rid of face buttons and put them on either the handle of the controller or make them into levers or triggers of some kind.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's still the issue of people buying Wii U games to play on Wii, but the packaging is a lot more distinct from Wii games than 3DS games are from DS games.

When was the last time anyone tried to buy a game to play on their Wii?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Am I the only one who thinks the NSMB games look weird? All of them, I mean. Something about the art style is fundamentally unappealing to me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference. :corsair: (I am 21 and have 20:20 vision and a 32 inch 1080p TV. I don't know what the gently caress is 1080 and what's 560. 480 on the Wii kind of looks like poo poo though.)

Just poking fun with the comparisons.

Depending on how far away you are, you might have a hard time telling the difference on a 32 inch TV. A bigger TV or a smaller distance between you and the screen makes it more clear. It matters more on a computer monitor because there's a good chance the monitor is almost all of your vision.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The new King of Fighters games look insanely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kADZnx0xKY
Bring back 2d with a budget.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have a cheap non-gaming laptop that can run Skyrim at 1080p on low settings. My gaming PC loving crushes Skyrim at 1080p and I bought it last year on a serious budget; I cannibalized some non-essential parts and spent around $600 on it. What I'm saying here is that 1080p is not a terribly high mark to hit anymore, all the dudes who want to spend $1200+ on their computer now shoot for 2560x1600 and over.

I also think that resolution is more important than antialiasing in particular. Even when you're not just downsampling from an even higher resolution(which is a form of AA in itself), higher res images seem to have some sort of an AA effect, at least to me. You get a more detailed, better looking image all around. Way better than just smearing vaseline on the lens and calling it a day with AA.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Said computer can also run BF3 and Witcher 2 at high settings at 1080p. You can't turn on Witcher 2's ubersampling on a mid-range machine(if that's what you mean by "bells and whistles") but, duh, that's cheating anyway because it involves rendering the game at higher than 1080p.

For a game like The Witcher 2 I'd much prefer 1080p to 60fps anyway, if those are my choices.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

I know you're joking but they're married to Sony. Multi-platform but never an exclusive to someone not-sony.

Then again, remember the Playstation?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Unless we just get rid of discs or have significant installs onto SSDs. Discs are going to be gradually phased out, especially as good internet becomes available everywhere.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other Scribblenauts games have been reasonably successful, so I'm sure this one will do okay, too. I think Scribblenauts is pretty much the only non-licensed, non-shovelware DS game by a western developer to really take off.

How about Contra 4?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Not buying this console until they release a matte version of it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not even going to buy Zombi U most likely but I don't see the Red Steel comparison.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Atomicated posted:

I can't hear the name "Zombiu" and not think it has the title of a garbage shovelware game. I think until I play it for myself I'll be unable to break that association even though I've heard nothing but positive things coming out of trade shows.

If it helps at all, Zombi is a really old Ubisoft game for the Commodore 64. This is a sequel. Sort of.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

fivegears4reverse posted:

Remind me again what resource is being wasted through "You walked into a new town! 25 Nerd Points!"

If you're going to say "developer time", you're wrong. In the vast array of things that do take up precious time for a big developer, this is hardly a blip on the radar. Disc space is hardly affected. System resources are hardly affected (hell, the Wii U has more memory than the PS3 or 360, so maybe when its notifications pop up games will not stutter to accommodate this). Even where achievements are mandatory, if the developer doesn't give a poo poo they can put a bunch of generic goals in a list and be done with it.

Achievements literally have no negative impact on game design unless the design of the game is already flawed and focuses entirely around said achievements. That wouldn't be a problem with the idea behind achievements themselves, but rather a problem with people behind the game. I can't think of any top tier games these days where they are a problem. It seems like most of the arguments against achievements ultimately boil down to "I think they are stupid, the people who like them/hunt for them are stupid", possibly in more flowery prose.

I think you're being too dismissive. There have been plenty of very well-reasoned arguments over the years about the way achievements gently caress with reward schedules and force designers to deal with the fact that, just by the very existence of achievements, players will play a game in a certain way(in pursuit of those achievements).

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Policenaut posted:

It's kind of stupid, but there's actually a decent use for achievements on a developer side. A lot of companies use them as data aggregates to find out about player habits and progression, so if like "You beat Level 4!"'s achievement has a 66.3% attainment rate while "You beat Level 5!"'s only has 22% then they could look at those two stages and find out what went wrong.

However a lot of companies also use stat-tracking stuff that is way more detailed than any achievements.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

:stare:

Holy poo poo, dude. Baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

fivegears4reverse posted:

These arguements have never really done anything to dissuade me from thinking that the only thing wrong about achievements honestly is that some folks just don't like them and the people who try to get them all. Despite the fact that achievements (much like playing a game in general) are optional to the player and are hardly intrusive to the overall gameplay experience. If the player wants to ignore them, they can, and typically to little detriment.

If game designers have a problem with people playing their games "a certain way" just to get an achievement, the onus is on them, not the gamer, to make them interesting and require whatever gameplay ideal they think the unwashed gamer masses ought to aspire to.

I won't paste the whole thing here, but go read this. Scroll down to the part where the interviewer asks about Farmville. Blow's answer sums up a lot of what people have to say about the psychology of achievements.

• Locked thread