Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Introvert posted:

They almost did go out of business a few months back before they got bought over by an equity firm, I think? And with their prices it's no wonder, I've basically turned to Amazon entirely for games now, occasionally HMV. Most places online rarely ask for over £40 for new games where GAME's all too willing to charge up to £45 or more.

And it's not all bad, the UK at least benefits when it comes to importing because of exchange rates. It'd be better if we didn't have to resort to having to import at all, but this industry, man. :smith:

I like how we American PC gamers bitch every single time a new game comes out for 60 USD even though it's been every game for years, and the largest British retailer for games sells them for 45 loving pounds or more. That's over 72 dollars. Highway robbery for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have regular sized hands and other than the black and white buttons the Duke is the #1 greatest controller of all time. They should re-release it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
As far as this year's E3 attendees go I think it was just that one idiot from CNN who couldn't tell it was a new console despite over a year of hype and sitting through a presentation on it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
But people loved the adult timeline in OoT. Wind Waker was making up for every prior Zelda game not being quite awesome or beautiful enough.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I don't play very many games with loading screens. Probably Xenoblade is the extent for me. I can't think of very many DS games with loading screens. If there's longer than a five second delay into playing I tend to lose interest fast.

In other words, I feel sorry for anyone who played Chrono Trigger on the PlayStation.

There are a number of games with no or very few loading screens, for instance Dark Souls lets you traverse its entire world without a loading screen. I just want to see SSDs make loading screens near instant.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

thexerox123 posted:

Here's someone who hasn't played the Playstation version of Chrono Trigger, then.

I don't mind a lot of loading screens in games, Halo works because the obtrusive loading screens are just between levels... but not all games are equal when it comes to how they're designed and implemented. I found the loading screens in Morrowind for Xbox absolutely awful, too, for instance.

The load screens in Morrowind were extremely bad. I can't even decide whether the regular version or the GOTY version was worse; the GOTY version made a lot of the in-game loading screens much shorter, but loading a character took an hour and a goddamned half.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Can you name some examples?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So you think 2K made Firaxis hobble Civ 5 in order to sell Gods and Kings like a year and a half later? Disregarding the fact that expansions are usually seen as a bit different from the newer, smaller DLC phenomenon on consoles, that's extremely unlikely. It's not like there's never been a bad Civ game, Civ 3 sucked too.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

You know, for Battlefield 3, DICE cut voice chat for the PC version. Also, not even text chat for co-op either, they left that out.

Sometimes companies do stupid poo poo for no reason.

No they wanted you to use the Battlelog voice chat.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Doesn't have to be fully 3D per se, they could make a game that plays identically to the current Pokemon games and put it on the consoles. Maybe spruce it up with some really nice hand drawn art. Make it look like Rayman.

I bet if Nintendo owned Gamefreak this would have happened already.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
edit: Whoops, mod intervention

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Folt The Bolt posted:

Wii U is gonna sell at a loss?

That's... genuinely surprising. Is this the first console where Nintendo has started with a loss-leading strategy?

3DS post price drop.

edit: vv Oops, my bad.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 24, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
To be fair TV manufacturers want you to buy a new TV every 3-5 years so loving badly.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Thank God the Wii U won't be stealing my precious shelf space because everything will be available digitally; I hope that includes stupid HD compilations should I ever want to buy one.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I sure wish 15GB were massive!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Atomicated posted:

That's nearly half the Wii U's hard drive!

C'mon now, that thing's not really for storage if you're going to commit to downloading games. As someone who doesn't want to own physical game boxes, I consider an external drive mandatory for me. Sadly, I may end up buying physical copies and having to make room for the cases somewhere. Maybe I'll keep all the discs in a binder and the cases in a box somewhere.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

I also have a fond nostalgia for the late 1990s.

Honestly if it's between that and getting a new shelf just for games I'll take the CD binder.

If it's not clear the reason this is more difficult for me than most is that I don't have a lot of space and I don't have an already existing collection of physical discs that I can get rid of; I have maybe 4 PS2 games and that's it. All my games are on PC and they are all from Steam, gog, etc.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Executing a task at a certain time is practically all computers do. It should be trivial.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Well would you look at that!

That said, the series hasn't really divulged into sci-fi so doing it now would seem really off.

I think they could probably work in sci-fi as long as it was always subtle and mysterious and not explained very well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My computer can do it. It's a shame that the Wii U can't.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't have F-zero GX but it does other GC games at 1080p and 60fps. It's just an i5 and a 6870.

For the record the 360 and PS3 were comparable to high end PCs when they were released.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 6, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've never been a Rayman fan but drat is that game pretty. Stopped in to Gamestop to try it and I was blown away graphically.

In case you don't know, Origins had very similar visuals. It is a very pretty game. It's also awesome.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Just played the Rayman demo and got a feel of the controller. Loved everything about it except it felt like I was holding some multi million dollar piece of NASA technology.

The EBGames guy said a lot of people think it's still a tablet for the Wii which depresses me but that's society for you. Basically the smart gamers will get one first and then the casuals and families will be murdering each other for one at Christmas.

I don't know how reflective my store is with others but I was told only two people pre ordered a white Basic while 16 went for the Deluxe with over 100 people on the waiting list. So I guess if you want one at launch, there might be white Basic is available maybe?
If you're in Canada, most of the testimonies in here match yours. It's the US and Japan that are totally hosed supply-wise.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Racing to first early and thinking you should win just because of that is dumb.

Isn't it a racing game? I kind of hate Mario Kart for this reason. I hate how arbitrary everything seems. I like green shells as a mechanic but pretty much nothing else and that's why I never buy Mario Kart games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You could see the smudges in the Giant Bomb unboxing. Please let me buy a matte console :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I wonder if the eyeball computer chips more powerful than today's super computers that we'll all have by 2025 will support distributed computing to play the most taxing games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh that's true actually. You wouldn't even need as many firmware updates that way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gamestop one's have Rayman Legends, the one at my Walmart just has trailers.

Best way to test a system is with videos right?

You can hold the controller at least! I don't know about anyone else but it's totally different from what I expected in terms of how it feels in your hands.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Different good. I didn't expect it to feel terrible or anything but it's totally comfortable. Weight is comparable to a wired 360 controller. I can't comment on how it feels after a long play session but in my ~15 minutes it felt totally fine. If it doesn't cramp your hands after a while I can't even see why the pro controller would be necessary.

edit: A wired 360 controller is lighter than a wireless one and heavier than a PS3 controller.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobnumerotres posted:

They could always release smart phones with buttons.

I have a Samsung Replenish for work. It's an Android phone with a full QWERTY keyboard. It convinced me that my nostalgia for the tactile feel of phone keyboards was completely misplaced; the phone is a piece of poo poo and the buttons only make it bigger and bulkier than any phone should be, while ensuring that the screen is pathetically small.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I hadn't been reading the Iwata Asks at all. That was a mistake. Why aren't they selling this thing?:

That's bleeding edge tech, man. Looks really next gen.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Are you asking why it can't do these things when you don't actually know whether it does them?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yes because the correct assumption to always use with Nintendo is "Does it have (X)? NOPE"

That's fair.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Akileese posted:

I don't think any of us expected NG to be that great though. I was out and about and figured I'd stop by Gamestop to see if I could pay off/pick up AC3 for Wii U and sure as hell I was able to. Wasn't going to be able to get back over to Gamestop again until Sunday so it was just easier for me to pay it off and pick it up now.

I dunno, I did see some posts around here saying that Ninja Gaiden 3 was definitely going to be fixed by this update.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

Batman fully takes advantage of the blimp generation processor.

On NG3, what was the score for the original version?

On Destructoid? 5/10. The game was pretty much universally panned.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo I have like 8-9 USB Mini-B cables and adapters because they're used in a device at work and this is the first time I've heard of anything else using one.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Astro7x posted:

The Wii U has to be one of the most confusing hardware launches I've ever seen... It's making me kind of miss the days where you put the cartridge in the system and it just worked, you know?

Except when it didn't, you know?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Almost Smart posted:

What's the fascination with a midnight Wii U launch anyway? It has a solid launch library as far as these things go, but nothing there really screams "Oh God, can't wait gotta play it NOW."

There's no such thing as "gotta play it now" because most people would normally be asleep within a few hours of midnight anyway. People want a midnight launch because they enjoy nerding out with other mutually interested dudes.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Disappointing Pie posted:

They're very simple games. No voice tracks, very simple music, basic textures etc etc. It's kind of maddening actually that they didn't come out with a new style of Mario for the Wii U. And that seems to be a criticism by several if some of the previews and the Giant Bombcast is any indication.

I don't think NSMB, which is tacitly the zero creativity zone for Mario games, is mutually exclusive with other new Mario games. Some other team, like some guys who worked on Galaxy 1/2 or 3D Land, is probably working on a new one that takes things in another direction. I hope that's what's happening and I'm very excited to see what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Boten Anna posted:

I just don't understand why this tablet attachment for the Wii requires the friend codes to be twice as long! It's already bad enough that Nintendo is forcing all games to require local multiplayer only using camera facial recognition. Cancelling all 5 preorders.

I heard with the next console, the Wii Us, you will only be able to play multiplayer with those who share a blood relation to you. There's a syringe built into the console for drawing blood.

• Locked thread