Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting one of these for Christmas and I'm wondering how things are these days. There's more games out for it that I'm interested in than I can afford, so I'm not really concerned about the games library for the moment, but I'd like to know about the interface. Is there anything like a unified friends list? Is there "party chat" or anything? Is the interface snappy? I remember when this thing came out it looked like there were a shitload of loading times, and I'm very particular about that kind of thing. I also wonder if there are any potential advantages to using this as the Netflix machine; the PS4 has a great Netflix interface, but maybe this could have some kind of second screen functionality? Any additional comments/nagging things regarding the overall user experience would be awesome.

If anyone's curious, it's a three way decision between the Wii U, the Vita, and the 3DS. I know that the 3DS has by far the biggest and best library of games, so conventional wisdom points me to that, but I have a PS4 and lots of free Vita games, and I'd honestly prefer a console over a handheld, so there's an edge for each platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SyHopeful posted:

Yes, unless you mean across systems (no unified online accounts yet)
Not natively but maybe game specific?
Kind of. The updates have made it much better.

I much prefer using my WiiU as a Netflix box over my 360, primarily because of the Gamepad. I use it as my TV remote, and it also makes searching and playing Netflix videos much quicker and easier. I can also watch Netflix directly on the Gamepad with headphones or the built-in speakers, if you have situations where that'd be nice. That said, the downside is that you can't turn the screen off on the Gamepad so for long movies you'll have to dock it or plug it in.

My girlfriend and I have gotten tons of fun from the WiiU, but there still hasn't been a game that compels me to turn on the console in the way that games like Skyrim did. But that's personal opinion :)

PrBacterio posted:

I can't speak to the other issues, as I haven't really used those features yet, but as far as loading times go I can't say I've noticed much in the way of them, at least from what I've played of SM3DW and WWHD so far.

You guys are saying some pretty encouraging things(mostly that my concerns haven't surfaced as issues), but after thinking about it for a bit I think I'd be crazy not to get a 3DS. Thanks guys.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Silver Sound posted:

While it was kind of an underwhelming presentation, I'd like to speculate name dropping Metroid in the Reggie interview was a big hint.

No good can come of this.

• Locked thread