Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I didnt have the sense to pre-order the Wii U despite my Nintendo-Fanboy-ism, but are stores gonna have some consoles in stock on the day of release so I can be one of those crazy people who waited in line all night? Im assuming the answer to this is yes but I just want to verify.

It looks like everywhere has Pre-Orders all sold out (unless Im missing something), and I dont reeaallly feel like over paying some dude for the console on Ebay since I dont get it immediately. Is there a better alternative Im completely overlooking?

I had no intention of even buying this until a week ago. Suddenly, Im excited :yoshi:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I know a handful of Best Buys are doing a midnight release, but I don't know of any other store doing one.

I think I'm just gonna wake up early and go to Sears to try to get one.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm still really banking on the idea that no one realizes Sears is gonna have Wii Us in stock. I called the store and the told me "Yeah dude just show up early no one knows we have game systems. We dont really sell a whole lot of them."

I dont know if this is a solid strategy or not. I just dont have any buddies willing to camp out overnight for a Wii U :(

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSG2BGe3_c

Looks like ZombiU is a piece of poo poo! Thank you based gamestop for leaking your videos and getting that guy in tons of trouble. You can still cancel your ZombiU preorders kids.

Looks like ZombiU is this console's "Red Steel"

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's on the internet now. You can draw blinds closed on the TV display if you don't want mom and dad to see what you're browsing on the pad.

Their Miiverse internet safety diagrams are great.

e: This thing is gonna be so dumb/great.

The Miiverse is gonna be moderated right? So we have to be really subtle about our penis drawing right?

E: Also is there any sort of 'group' feature? So goons can draw goofy things just for eachother?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

You mean penises right? And, I hope so, is the answer.

Yes obviously. It is the only reason to buy a Wii U really.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Posting from the front of a line at KMart. They literally only have 2 wii us in stock. Hope they have the deluxe :ohdear:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I waited in line for an hour in front of a KMart. As I feared, they only had 2 8gig Wii Us. I was crushed, and left in shame.

Walmart had a deal on their website which I missed by a minute! I looked at the "Site to Store" thing on the Wii Us page, and found some in stock in a nearby city. Officially purchased a Wii U Deluxe :radcat:

Anyone who is still looking for Wii Us I'd give walmarts website a try!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Revol posted:

I don't think it's coming to 3DS?

Nintendo says it is, they just havent said when yet.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Since it doesnt look like making a custom community is possible... should we just commandeer a game for Something Awful?

Funky Barn is the obvious choice here.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

What do you mean I can't YEAH! my own posts! gently caress you Nintendo this system is bullshit :argh:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

So my WiiU did that loud beep freeze thing last night. I unplugged the cord, restarted everything and now it works fine. Is this a sign of bad things to come or a hiccup until another firmware update? :ohdear:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

Walmart's availability checker is hosed up. In spite of it saying that it hasn't updated since the 18th, I've watched a store near me go from saying it was out of stock, to limited stock, to in stock. I don't want to be that guy that calls the stores daily, either. I really wanted the 32gb model, but I'm really considering just getting the basic.

You guys make it sound so fun :smith:

If you dont care about downloading games from the eShop the basic is fine. Otherwise, its a good idea to hold out for a deluxe.

...and it is fun :) you'll get one soon.

If there is an fye near you I know they're taking 50$ for them to hold a system for you when it comes in. They refund your bux if you find it elsewhere, otherwise it just goes towards the purchase of the system.

Also keep an eye open for WiiUs on :siren:CYBER MONDAY:siren:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Just got to the 2nd map in Nintendo Land DKCC

:psyduck: Holy poo poo this game is absurd.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Wow, the WiiU browser rules.

I just figured out that you can play youtube videos on your tv while checking other websites on the game pad.

Who knew Nintendo would get the browser to work so well.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My WiiU did the crash-beeping thing again, twice in a row. Do we have any updates from Nintendo on a possible fix?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rikimaru posted:

Loving the Wii U so far. Miiverse has taken more time than I care to admit to. I am rather disappointed I can't play my VC games directly on the tablet though.

I've spent too much time looking at the bizarre Funky Barn community.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I emailed Nintendo about the crashbeep that has happened to me 3 times now (and more to others in the thread). I asked them if there would be an update for this problem and mentioned that I know it has happened to other people. They send me this email in response:

nintendo posted:

Hello,

I'm glad you've taken the time to alert us to the issue you're having with your Nintendo Wii U console. I know this is not what you were hoping to hear, but we do not have a list of scheduled updates to refer to to answer your question. At this time no such update has been announced, but once it has you will likely be able to find it on our website.

Normally, I would direct you to our website for troubleshooting and to set up a repair if necessary. However, the problem you're describing means we need to speak to you directly to get all of the details and work out the best solution.

They also left a name, number, and a time for me to call them to sort out this problem. I'll keep everyone posted on this hopefully non-serious some-what common issue.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Theres just not a ton of people with Wii Us that really want BLOPS. I think you're 100% right, 'serious BLOPSerz' dont want Wii Us right now.

Also the framerate thing could be anything from mistakes made on a "rushed porting schedule" to "the CPU is actually bad and all hope is lost." Really no way of knowing, since the only info on the cpu is Nintendo saying something about Watson and not much else.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I've heard basically nothing but good things about scribblenauts Unlimited except that the Steam Version is 20$ cheaper. I really am hoping it drops in price and I can just download it on the eShop for cheap.

Nintendo land is really good though even for a single player. Mostly for Donkey Kong Crash Course, but I know I've enjoyed the FPS rail shooter zelda, pikmin and balloon-thing single player.

Lots of goons also say good things about ZombiU (as long as you play it and dont expect BLOPs Zombies).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Are direct messages on the miiverse moderated?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My call yesterday with Nintendo Customer service was uneventful. The service rep said ... "Well if your Wii U is working now... then just keep enjoying it, but if it gets worse give us a call back and we can take a look at your system."

He did, however, imply that there will be some sort of system update in the next week or two that 'should address this problem.'

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

When every game journalist fears the worst for Nintendo I think they just assume everything Nintendo makes is the next Sega Dreamcast. Also lets not forget all these same guys predicted the failure of the original XBox as well (THERE CAN ONLY BE 2 CONSOLES AT A TIME, HAVE WE LEARNED NOTHING FROM SEGA DREAMCAST?).

Basically dont trust anyone predicting anything.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I think Im gonna start calling it the woo also...

The WU?

Either way the Wii was definitely one of the cooler designed systems. I mean in reality it was just a rectangle with a base, and the wu is just not as pretty to look at. Its just another rectangle but a little bit rounded. Nintendo spent a lot of time making the controller appealing to look at though, and it definitely shows.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

I've seen a lot of praise for the Miiverse. What's the big deal?

It looks like a difficult to navigate, highly moderated bulletin board to me. What is everyone else seeing?

It's a combo message board/twitter feed where you can draw goofy pictures but there are no dicks or racism allowed. Whats not to love?

Its also easier to navigate than it looks.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The wii U is a fine name. Nintendo is obviously trying to brand everything "Wii." Wii U, Wii Mini, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if there are more things to come out in the future that are have wii as a prefix.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rake Arms posted:

But with the NFC chip in the Gamepad and the popularity of Skylanders, they could justifiably try to introduce the Pokemon series to consoles. I'm not into that whole card/figurine thing, but just having the Pokedex on the Gamepad would be sick. And if N is too busy with other projects, then they should give the it to Monolith :colbert:

Xenomon Saga :science:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I 100% agree with the idea that Wii U is not gonna sell nearly as well as the Wii did. The Wii U hype isnt really as big in the casual market, and thats why I think the Wii mini exists. Nintendo wants to maintain the casual market as much as physically possible.

...but if TVii isn't lovely and turns into a really popular feature all bets are off and the Wii U could be the next huge thing.

Either way Nintendo will do fine, they need to sell exactly 1 game for the system to turn a profit.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Happens all the time...

You're obviously not playing the right games.

[edit] Bonus CRT:

I think my monitor can do this too but I have never found a reason for it... until now obviously.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

flyboi posted:

Basically it's tri-core and has a really kick-rear end gpu. The gpu is actually a gpgpu so while the cpu is nothing "amazing" the big point is the gpu can now offload a lot of taxing processes cpus normally had to do. On top of this the Wii U has a lot of edram which is used to push stuff through the processors. Because of how it's all laid out it may seem like a slow turd but in reality due to how it's all configured it can still process far larger chunks of data per cycle than the Wii could and likely the 360.

Edit: it's kind of like comparing the 360 to the ps3 - you can't. The processor architecture on all these systems greatly differs. They all have different implementations and optimizations to make things run more efficiently. For example 360 was created mostly as a powerpc-driven "pc" for lack of a better way to put it without going full nerd. It was made with the idea that DirectX "just works" on whatever you target and it shows late in the game. Compare a PS3 optimized game to 360 and you'll notice just how bad it runs on 360 in comparison. PS3 has virtualized cpus to run tasks more parallel over the 360 but the sdk was god-awful and understanding of the architecture was extremely hard to grasp until late in the game. Depending on how the SDK works on the Wii U the same could be said, although if indie devs are able to write games that work exceptionally well (Trine 2) then I would say the SDK is pretty fleshed out and easy to use.

Thank you for this post. Even though I dont really care about Nintendo's graphics/hardware (I only owned a wii last generation and will probably only own a wiiu) this puts this URRGGG HARDWARE thing into perspective.

Unfortunately people who hate Nintendo will overlook this :(

E: Put this in the OP somewhere maybe?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm learning so much in this thread. :psyboom:

So for a layman the tech consensus is "the Wii U is more powerful than it looks on paper."

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I guess I disagree? NSMBU and NintendoLand are fantastic, a great start to the system. Even though they closed out the Wii poorly with Skyward Sword, I don't know a whole lot of people that have anything negative to say about Epic Yarn or DKC Returns. Or Mario Land 3D or Mario Kart 7. How many publishers put out the amount of titles that Nintendo does every generation, that has as many hits and as few misses as Nintendo has? It's pretty rare. Maybe Ubisoft? When I think about the games I've bought in Steam sales, I can't point out any one publisher that I bought a majority of games from. Shrug.

Also as much as I get where the 'staleness' argument comes from, I really don't think reinventing the wheel with each iteration of a franchise makes sense. The reason people buy into these franchise is the experience they have had with the original game/older versions.

Am I the only person on SA that enjoyed Skyward Sword? (excluding Fi)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Any updates on when they're launching Nintendo TVii?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Isnt the object editor absent in the 3DS version?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Why the heck is Xenoblade a million dollars when I google it? Gamestop has it at normal price though? :psyduck:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Man, I'm really hoping this update includes Nintendo TVii.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

greatn posted:

The last game was cooperative so I suspect this one will be as well. But I bet it's not god damned ONLINE cooperative.

According to Forbes there won't be online multiplayer

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I believe Nintendo has said they don't like using common disc formats for games because they're significantly easier to pirate. This is at least what they said for gamecube (and Wii I think too).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This is really cool. Seeing my Mii on something that isn't my 3DS or my Wii U is bizarre and exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

That doesn't seem counter-intuitive to me at all. I really wouldn't expect to have access to a rewards program for a thing I'm not using. :shrug:

E: Are you referring to the 'day after a purchase' thing as not making sense?

• Locked thread