Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You know, I think a Trauma Center game would work really well on the Wii U. It'd be pretty neat having a touch screen TC game on console. They could even let you choose between motion and touch controls since there are somehow people out there who preferred using the Wiimote over a touch screen. A sequel to Trauma Team could work well too since it'd let them explore different ways to use the gamepad.

Just give me another Trauma Center game Atlus :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's a pretty solid game, I don't think it's quite as good as Mario Kart though. I did everything except for beating ghosts in time trial mode because that's just kinda boring. The game is surprisingly challenging, a couple of the traffic challenges especially took me a couple of hours of just retrying over and over. My only real problem with the game is that the items didn't seem that well thought out. Mario Kart has a much better balance. (Even though people like to complain about blue shells) The course design is great though, and the game makes way better use of the transforming vehicle mechanic than Mario Kart 7.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone had any weird problems with their gamepad? Mine has been working fine but today it started acting strange. The touch screen was acting like it was calibrated all wrong and all the buttons except for the TV, Home and Power ones wouldn't work. I couldn't get past the user selection screen because the touch screen wouldn't let me tap my name. It seems to be working okay now, but the touch screen starts doing stuff on its own sometimes. I'm just kinda worried that it's faulty or something because sending it to Nintendo would probably be kind of a pain.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

WendigoJohnson posted:

I honestly could never get into Animal Crossing. It always seemed like a lesser version of Harvest Moon. The main character always looks like some sort of creepy clown too, I mean I get it that you're the only human living among the lesser species, but still atleast give the character sack boy levels of customization. I mean you can either look like a clown or Robot Gallagher, there is no inbetween.

I only played the Gamecube one but I got really into the collecting side of Animal Crossing. I thought it was kinda fun trying to fill up the museum and collecting furniture sets. It was also neat how some bugs/fish were only available in certain seasons. But eventually I turned the dark side and started abusing the ability to change the date/time and it sucked all the fun out of it. Also the idea of having weeds grow in your town is the worst thing ever because it killed my motivation to go back to the game if I hadn't played it for a few days.

The best part of the game was the NES games though. I might've ended up putting more time into Punch-out than the actual game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know how this was done? I've seen a few pictures like this and I don't see how it's possible

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 12, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

Since I got a bit miffed that Luigi could only be played by Player 2-4 in Story Mode, Luigi having a whole new set of levels all to himself makes me überhappy!

I felt the same way, except with blue Toad. I'm hoping 2014 will be the year of Toad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I dunno, I think E3 will be great. I'm really excited to see actual footage of the next 3D Mario game, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi game, Xenoblade sequel, SMT x Fire Emblem and Wind Waker HD. I don't think there'll be any new big surprises or anything but I'm really happy with the line up.

theflyingorc posted:

Are they doing something of a WiiU/3DS back-and-forth for these things? I've watched half of the Direct, and it seems to mostly be 3DS focused.

I don't know about the US direct, but on the EU site it says it's a 3DS Nintendo Direct.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm hoping every circus game in Nintendoland (aside from Castle, Trip Breeze and Octopus Dance) is shown as an actual game.

Please explain :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I really hope it gets a sequel on Wii U. I love the series and I bet they could come up with some neat rhythm game ideas for the gamepad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man the SNES F-Zero is awesome. I played X and GX to death but this is my first time with the original. I'm trying to beat the cups on Master difficulty but so far I've only managed to do it using a save state at the start of each race so I don't lose all my lives.

This, and Nintendo Land having an F-Zero minigame gives me hope for a Wii U F-Zero.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People don't think Deus Ex was worth multiple playthroughs? :psyduck:

HR was one of my favourite games of this console generation. If they do go for a Wii U version I'd like to see them add a couple of new things instead of just a straight port with off tv play.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crowbear posted:

I can't imagine they're actively working on it without having something in mind. I can't think of any really compelling applications for it other than "POKEMON FIGURES SKYLANDERS STYLE" which I don't think will ever actually happen.

Zelda WiiU has no dungeon items, you have to create your inventory by scanning household objects

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The download prices for retail games are pretty awful though. ZombiU is like £55 I think.

PS3 has the same problem. (Maybe 360 too, I don't have one)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

Playing through The World Ends With You again on the DS and I realized that if Square ever wanted to make a largescale version on a console, the Wii-U pad is loving perfect. I guess it'd make more sense just keeping it on the 3DS but it'd still be goddamn cool to have it be a massive online thing with swipe battles and poo poo flying everywhere in glorious HD. Too bad Square's going to be too busy developing another shitfest with Brooding Pink-Haired Jerk, Part 2.

It should be The World Ends Wii U except I'm lazy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Black Ops 2 plays great online and I guess an unintentional benefit on Wii U is that no one has/uses microphones so I don't have to mute a ton of people every game like I did on PS3. Sending messages to people is kind of a pain on Wii U though. As far as I can tell there's no way for random people to send each other messages without adding them as a friend first. Also to read messages you have to go into Miiverse, which causes you to exit multiplayer.

I don't wanna start a CoD derail or anything but the game itself is kind of disappointing, it's the first CoD game I've played since MW2 and it feels completely identical to that. I hear people complain about the series a lot but I was still kinda surprised. It's a good, mindless game to play while listening to a podcast or something though. If you can somehow find it cheap somewhere it's worth picking up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like Miiverse a lot, but it's especially neat with these Virtual Console games. With F-Zero there's a ton of people posting their best times and it's pretty fun seeing if I can beat any of them. It's just kinda neat that it's bringing some new life into a 20+ year old game.

I can't wait to see the Miiverse reactions to Punch-Out.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been meaning to check out ZombiU since I'm a big fan of horror games, but the mixed reviews keep putting me off. I know there's a demo but you can't download it unless it's between 11pm - 3am in Europe and I always forget.

Also speaking of horror games I bet they could make a pretty neat Fatal Frame game on Wii U. Though I could see them making you physically look around with the gamepad to take pictures it'd maybe be too gimmicky.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

Give me some examples of true platforming-focused challenging design that takes place exclusively in an open-world city. My mind is open (except to the Arkham games).

When I think Mario city, I'm not really thinking blocky buildings. I imagine mushroom houses and wigglers as public transport and poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought Sticker Star was pretty good. The first few hours I was disappointed because of how different it was to the rest of the series, but something clicked once I hit world 3 and I really started to enjoy it. Maybe Nintendo see it as a franchise they're willing to experiment with. It's not like Super Paper Mario was all that similar to the first two games.

One thing I didn't like at all in Sticker Star was the boss fights. Every boss has a real world object sticker that they're weak to. If you use it, the boss becomes way too easy, and if you don't then they're extremely difficult. Plus it's not like you could have any idea what the weakness sticker was beforehand, so you had to go into the boss fight, figure out what the weakness might be, flee the fight and find the sticker, then go back and destroy the boss. It was especially bad with the final boss because he had a bunch of phases with different weaknesses. Did other people have this experience too or was I missing something? It was the one thing I couldn't stand about the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The neural hub sounds to me like it might just be the screen showing all of your augmentations, except on your gamepad.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's more than that though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

As someone in Europe are there any eShop shenanigans I can pull to get the game a couple of days early?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Miiverse :negative:

Punch-Out is a fair trade though, it's an amazing game. My first time playing it was through Animal Crossing and I think I ended up spending more time trying to beat it than I did actually playing AC.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 20, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone here played Need For Speed? I'm kind of tempted to pick it up but it'd be so much cheaper to just get the PS3 version instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Nothing is happening when I plug in the AC adapter thing to charge the gamepad. Has anyone had this problem or have any idea on what I can do about it? It was working fine yesterday, not really sure why it's stopped working.

At least I can still use my classic controller to play Monster Hunter.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

treeboy posted:

does it charge in the cradle? might be a problem with the gamepad AC rather than the charger. Reminds me of older laptops which could have the AC plugs snapped off the motherboard if they're jerked out at angles rather than straight. Pop the solder right off the board.

No it doesn't work in the cradle either. I tried changing the fuse in the plug, and I also opened up the gamepad and the battery wasn't loose or anything but it still won't charge. I guess I'll phone Nintendo and see what they say. (And yeah it's plugged in. I tried plugging it into a couple of different sockets too to make sure)

EDIT: They told me to send the gamepad and adapter to them. This sucks, don't think I've ever had a problem with a Nintendo product before.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 26, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cultisto posted:

Try pulling the battery out and leaving it disconnected for a while, like 30-60 minutes. When I bought my WiiU I posted in here that my Gamepad seemed to be dead on arrival, wouldn't power on or charge when plugged in. While troubleshooting the issue I had pulled the battery & left it on my desk, came back an hour later to put everything back together and suddenly it turned on and has worked flawlessly since. Might save you some hassles.

It's worth a shot I suppose, I'll see if it works, thanks.

It's just such a weird thing to randomly happen. There were no signs of it dying or anything. I almost always have the charger plugged into the gamepad when I'm using the WiiU, I wonder if that's what caused the problem?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The US Club Nintendo really sounds lot better than the UK one. Here you get 250 stars for each game you register, then you can buy stuff in the catalog.

http://stars.nintendo-europe.com/?locale=en_GB

I have a little over 7,000 stars and which means I can get this:

You have to register 28 games to get enough stars for that. The only cool thing they ever had was this, which I think was like 15,000 star points:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

While overall the US one seems better, Im super jealous that you guys can get nintendo points for your stars.

Edit: Just went through the remaining pages. You guys get the Mario Galaxy soundtrack and the SNES classic controller. Yours is better

It gets a lot less cool when you realise how many points you need for those things though. Yeah, I could waste 16 games worth of stars to get 1000 Nintendo points, or I could just pay like £7 for a points card.

Same goes for the SNES controller. It's 7000 points/28 games. I probably spent like £800+ to get that many points to begin with. I guess I don't know what they could offer that would actually feel worth it though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think the creepiest part of the video is realistic 9-volt

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think WarioWare Touched on DS sold pretty well, the GBA one probably sold a lot too. I have to imagine the Wario Land games were successful too. (I don't actually know, I'm just assuming because all of these games own)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure that the UK Amazon site said 2014 when they first put the game up but it's gone now. I assumed it was just Europe getting screwed over with release dates.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been replaying Sonic All Stars Transformed and I'm excited to see how Nintendo handle Mario Kart 8. I don't think it comes close at all, but there are a lot of people that see Transformed as a better kart racer than MK so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

I hope they really embrace the online side of things in MK8. The Wii U is actually extremely solid online so I hope they don't waste this chance. (Same goes for the next SSB)

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 4, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crossposting from the eShop thread, but it seems like Runner 2 will finally be released in Europe tomorrow

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

People joke about it and I know it won't happen but I think it'd actually be kind of cool if they did the Luigi DLC thing again next year with Toad or Peach. It's actually one of the only times I've really looked forward to DLC.

Since there's two Toads, they could do a level pack that focuses on co-op play or something. And for Peach they could bring back her hover jump thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is there a gif yet of Iwata and the screen full of Luigis?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A few weeks ago I posted about how my Wii U gamepad stopped charging. It's fixed now and the repair process was really smooth. I sent it out to them on the 13th with the freepost stamp and proof of purchase, they received and repaired it on the 16th, dispatched it the next day and I got it back this morning. I was able to track the progress of it all online and they sent me texts about it too, I was really impressed by the whole thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crowbear posted:

I find it pretty hard to believe they'll have any of X, SMTxFE, Mario Kart, or Smash done and out this year considering they've shown nothing/almost nothing of them at all (well maybe they'll rush out Mario Kart, but that's the only one on the list I could not give less of a gently caress about). Same for Bayo 2. Still we can always hope :allears:

Mario Kart and Smash Bros are big titles, I don't think they'd ever debut them outside of E3. I could definitely see MK8 being released in November/December. No way is Smash Bros out this year though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

Considering the 3DS is starting to continue the DS tradition of printing money and so is anything with the word "Pokemon" on it I don't think Nintendo is getting out of hardware anytime soon.

Kind of off topic, but is there a reason that Nintendo haven't brought Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow to virtual console? I guess you'd be missing out on the trading/battling other people side of things but it would still sell insanely well.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why would you ever want to get rid of these two amazing people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The weird thing is that there doesn't seem to be anything like that on the UK Amazon, in fact they're even promoting the buy 3 3DS games get 1 free thing.

• Locked thread