Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

All the gamefaqs-esque posts around here and other threads are so :psyduck:. As others have said people are expecting Sony and Microsoft's consoles to be quantum leaps in visuals, and they won't be. They're going to be "Run BF3 much better" consoles and compete with the Wii U fairly directly.

I can't wait for the backlash when those consoles come out, and they require you to buy them to play all the new slightly-better looking games.

I pre-ordered the Deluxe at my university's gamestop. Young adults instead of pissed off parents and anxious children, far shorter lines, etc.

And drat, I knew this console was going to do well but I didn't know it was going to run out of pre-orders 2 days in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Even if it's true that the Durango will only have a 6670-equivalent in it that will be vastly, vastly(VASTLY) superior to the X1800-equivalent the 360 currently has.

Oh absolutely, it's not difficult to beat seven year old technology. But, diminishing returns and all that. Most of the graphical jumps now are going to come from smaller details, like volumetrics and PhysX-type stuff, not from texture resolution.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

Pretty sure it's a lack of units due to some manufacturing slowdowns they've been rumored to have here and there. Makes sense to shift all your units to NA in time for Black Friday while still building units for Europe and Japan.

They just really, really wanted to make that Black Friday date. Which kind of scares me since there's a possibility rushing the models could result in defects. :tinfoil:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Seaniqua posted:

I asked the girl at Best Buy if they will get a set amount of Wii U's that they're allowed to preorder and she said no. This makes it sound to me that my Best Buy preorder doesn't really guarantee me a Wii U on the release day. Am I going to end up waiting in line at midnight for this thing?

Companies that do this are just evil. You need to find an alternative or you might not have your Wii U until post-christmas.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

2012 posted:

I don't have any data to back this up other than Square Enix's tech demo, FOX Engine, Watchdogs, and (hopefully) not needing to subsample games down to 1024 resolution to run at decent FPS, but, at this stage in graphics, the small details are EVERYTHING(volumetrics, physics, lighting/shadows). Wii-U will get eclipsed in those departments. BF3 is the tip of the iceberg.

Wii-U is cool on its own. You don't need to justify it.

I thought the fox engine was on current-gen? Watchdogs was also running on PC, and is slated for this gen. The only thing that looked really impossibly good was the rain and they'll probably tone that down on release (developers demo games on PCs all the time, it's a mean trick).

Square Enix's tech demo was CRAZY as gently caress though, and clearly intended for the next generation, as well as the Unreal Engine 4 stuff.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

The Monster Hunter tutorial is boring as hell because it's the tutorial that has to teach you all the mechanics. Take it online and go hunt some monsters in a pack.

You can also push through the tutorial to when you start fighting Actual Big loving Monsters, which is like 40 minutes in.

But yeah, they really need to get rid of that "Go pick up herbs and kill harmless creatures for the first hour" thing in the single-player for Ultimate.

Have a little five minute tutorial that teaches you how to attack and pick up herbs/carve monsters and there, Great Jaggi fight. If you can't beat the G.Jaggi the game will kindly ask you to return it to gamestop unless you want to avoid further embarrassment.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Edoraz posted:

That isn't elitist at all. Try to remember how hard your first hunts were. Pretty hard to remember, right? The tutorial should stay, but there should be a Great Jaggi hunt to prove that you don't need hand holding during the tutorial. Like a "oh hey that is one dead Jaggi come home lets get you to rank 3 instantly."

Ha I was exaggerating. MHTri was my introduction to the series and I died to the G.Jaggi once or twice, which was a pleasant surprise because I was loving bored of killing tiny raptors and herbivores.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

I have to agree. Graphics are nice, but I've played too many games in my life and a pretty game thats not fun will get ejected in the first few hours.

That said, there needs to be a decent baseline in graphics. The wii looked horrible on my 65in so it has been hooked up to a 27 in ctr where it does fine and the kids use it for netflix mostly. Even if its graphics never got better then this gens I would be perfectly fine with it, because Nintendo makes games for games, not a pretty game thats only shooting people for 4-6 hours.

It uh, isn't a choice between the two? And it's not like the graphically intense consoles only have gritty shooter #1426 as exclusives (albeit that's certainly the majority of them), there are awesome exclusives like Halo and LBP that make great use of the console's graphical capabilities to contribute towards a very pleasing aesthetic, and processing capabilities to contribute to things that simply wouldn't have been possible on the Wii.

Graphic and processing capabilities are also a big part of the kind of ports the Wii U will get, and this can mean something as light as "Wii U gets the same game minus the PhysX particles/tesselation," or something as bad as "Wii U isn't getting the game at all."

Now if the Wii U is a success and totally swallows the gaming market whole, developers will give not one poo poo how much stronger the other consoles are, they will make games for the platform their games will sell on. Development is not funded by magic and love, unfortunately.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

Console comes out, gets some of the scant few multiplatform titles still slated for this generation, new consoles with modern architecture come out, third parties and core audiences jump ship, software dries up, Nintendo release a few great titles mixed in with numerous low-content experiments and gimmicks, Mom games as far as the eye can see, life support.

I guess it'll be cool if you have money to burn and the current drought of console titles is really chafing you, but I just don't see the appeal otherwise.

Because the Wii U doesn't have any sort of modern architecture.

Wait, is this gamefaqs?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hobo Siege posted:

Ya'll sure are uptight.

Forgive us for pointing out how much you're trying to instigate something?

quote:

The issue is that the Wii U is a 360 or thereabouts, just as the Wii before it was a slightly upticked Gamecube. This system will face similar challenges to the Wii, and it won't have an explosive new control scheme to get everyone talking. The only difference is that the U's going to have a year to compete with the current gen.

The Wii U's graphics, processing and RAM run circles around what the 360 can do, and Microsoft's/Sony's offerings won't be much stronger unless they want to charge double the Wii U's price, and then they'll be dead in the water. This has been repeated in this thread and other threads concerning the next gen over and over again and should practically be in the OP.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Sorry... but does anybody buy a next gen console and get just a Nintendo console? Pretty much everybody I know that has a Wii has a PS3 or 360 too. I also dont' see it that common to have a 360 and a PS3.

I buy Nintendo for Nintendo franchises.

I have a PC, I can deal with missing the occasional game like LBP, and most important console games are ported over to PC.

What will never come to PC however is Nintendo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes. During the time of barren wastelands and "mom games" where everyone had abandoned the wii. You know, History.

...if only you could get that as a launch game :smug:

To be honest the Wii was pretty terrible for a gamer. Being a commercial success is great and all but NSMB is their "poo poo out as quickly as possible for obscene profit" series, and first party games aside (and the occassional great thing like MH3) the Wii was loving barren.

So, I understand being cautious with the Wii U (it's hard to get the smell of poo poo off your hands, after all), but they're doing so many things right and acquiring excellent exclusive titles, having a modern online system, etc.

Instead of everyone going "Hey look, it seems Nintendo woke up and smelled the loving coffee but let me wait and see" they're going "How loving DARE they take my Bayonetta and Monster Hunter? Nintendo's a little kid company fisher price Wii lawl [even on these forums which is pathetic]" or making blanket statements like this guy.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Almost Smart posted:

I don't encounter any of those types of people in this forum. It's only the Nintendo ones, and I don't understand why.

You're not reading the right threads, trust me.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

al-azad posted:

Crytek said they would like to see 8gb next console cycle. I definitely believe RAM is the most crippling factor in consoles but that's pretty overkill for a dedicated system.

Considering that you could do Crysis 2 on 512 MB, eh.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So when is the next Nintendo Direct scheduled? I heard they were going to reveal all the details about the miiverse and online play.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

japtor posted:

Good thing they're moving to a free to play strategy :shepface:

TBH Warface looks rad as gently caress.

I can't wait for the next Direct because I need to know what titles I can just download through the Wii U shop.

I'm also interested in what kind of little mini-games will come out for the console. Wouldn't hurt to get a free HD angry birds and other little free/1 buck touch games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As for retail releases, all first-party stuff will get a simultaneous digital release, and they're "strongly encouraging" third-party publishers to do the same.

I don't even see why they need encouragement. You get to sell the game with one less middle man taking a cut of the revenue, and there's no expense for discs.

I'm going to try to go all-digital with the U. Screw swapping out discs or worrying about losing things. I'll obviously make exceptions for finding cool games in bargain bins but in that case I hope you'll be able to install it and never fumble with the disc again, like steam-enabled games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo's strategy is supposed to including retail, eShop and digital download cards sold by retailers, allowing customers to hunt around for deals in whichever format they like without undercutting the retailers, but things haven't exactly worked out that way.

I can't see Nintendo doing sales on their eShop. I mean, maybe they will, stranger things have happened, but if they undercut retailers Gamestop and such will raise a big stink about it.

Even though they have no business strategy for the future, as a gaming company there is no reason good enough to sour your relationship with The Game Store of America.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/17/capcom-hints-at-more-wii-u-projects

Good job IGN, way to take his warning not to be misinterpreted.

He meant that as a very polite way of saying "Don't get your hopes up."

Also: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-wiiu-trailer

This game is so loving ridiculous. What kind of major flaws did it have and is there a chance they were fixed?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuwxsZL6beY Oh wow they really tore it a new one.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 17, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^^^ Huh?

Random Stranger posted:

Until there's a fundamental change in how content producers are viewing digital distribution the pricing is going to be bad.

When Steam started releasing digital games and such, I had heard from multiple sources that they were going to reduce the price of the games somewhat, on top of not having to pay taxes.

Gamestop and other big brick and mortar stores stomped and cried that this was unfair competition, and threatened to do all sorts of ridiculous things in order to counter/protest services like Steam. I imagine the same would happen if Nintendo's eshop undercut Gamestop.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

al-azad posted:

And every (smart) retailer like Gamestop and Amazon's response has been to open their own digital store (hell, Gamestop carries Steam cards despite owning a competing service Impulse). And now they have their own tablets, app stores, and streaming services of their own. You either keep up with the competition or die.

Impulse had an awesome sale on PC games a bit ago. I guess what I heard was bullshit then.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It seems Nintendo took requests for something different in NSMB a bit literally.

The DS Mario had a scene near the beginning where Bowser drowns in lava and turns into a skeleton. I was pretty horrified.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6c_4tGIto

During this video they mention downloadable levels. Huh?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Sadly, that would make it a perfect port of Ninja Gaiden 3.

Honestly though it looks like the same model/assets/challenge map from Sigma 2 on PS3. The plastic skin is their style though. You can see it in the Dead or Alive series too where the male characters all have a variety of complexions but the female characters are all flawless porcelain dolls.

Oh Team Ninja.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Like Ninja Gaiden 3 is gonna sell any better? If Nintendo wanted a game to attract core gamers, throw From Software a ton a cash and make the next Souls game WiiU exclusive. That would do the trick.

From seems like they're in a position where they want to make their games available to as many people as possible, I don't think they'd go for any exclusivity deal again, boatloads of cash or not.

Also, that would be a hugely powerful exclusive to have, but more people should really experience From's games. I hope they're all multi-platform.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

http://kotaku.com/5943529/nintendo-doesnt-think-your-wii-u-will-collect-dust

Kotaku interview with Reggie. The TL;DR version:

Kotaku: Wii sucked towards the end, will that happen with the Wii U?
Reggie: Tell me more about these consoles that don't suck at the end of their life span.
Kotaku: Alright alright. But is the Wii U going to compete with Sony and Microsoft's next offering? (if you read between the lines he's going "Dude you saw what happened with Dreamcast")
Reggie: Let's look at the last generation: Xbox, PS2, and GC. Gamecube and Xbox were further ahead technologically than the PS2, by a large amount. But that doesn't matter. It's the install base that matters.

i.e. if a console has a huge install base it won't matter which console is strongest, developers will go where their games will sell. Seems like common sense but people don't get it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

It's common sense that didn't prove out in the current generation. The Wii has the largest install base but 3rd party support is primarily on the 360, PS3, and PC.

Because the Wii was bought largely by casual gamers that only play Nintendo titles and fit stuff.

The Wii U is catering to the core audiences again, and since there won't be a huge graphical jump or a gimped online between this and the other consoles, I think third parties will stick around as long as their games sell.

And since the U is going to have a whole year and a half+ to itself to build up a crowd, I think those games will sell.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't doubt that Microsoft and Sony's consoles will be much more powerful than the Wii-U, but I would expect the functional impact of that to be less than last generation. Titles developed for those consoles will still have to be scaled back, but I don't think they'll have to be straight-up gimped in the way that Wii ports had to be.

Yeah. As reggie said it's going to be a PS2 ~ Xbox difference, not a Wii ~ 360 difference that makes ports gimped/impossible.

quote:

Reggie doesn't get it. And I can name a bunch of consoles that don't suck by the end of their lifespan.

Reggie was in complete denial during the interview. Kotaku kept politely trying to say "Look no gamer was happy with the Wii" and Reggie kept kind of cutting him off and saying "But look at skyward sword sales!"

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

There's no guarantee of that yet and you know it. If Nintendo keep titles like MHTriU and Bayonetta 2 on the console CONSISTENTLY throughout its lifespan, then you can say Nintendo is catering to us again.

Uhhh right now they are catering to us? No one can tell what's in the future? But I guess that's a good idea. Wait seven years for the Wii U's life to end and THEN say Nintendo did a good job, go out and buy the console.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

While the WiiU may cater more to the 'hardcore' audience, it's really that casual audience that pushes sales over the brink, so capturing that is imperative for the WiiU to succeed.

Another thing that's imperitive to software sales (especially third party ones) is giving people incentive to trade in their 360/PS3 for the Wii U, with, like you said, excellent exclusives that cater to the core.

Also their first step in getting Casuals would probably be explaining that this is a new console and not just a tablet for the Wii that gives the user magic powers.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

How do you know that there won't be a huge graphical jump? People said the exact same thing about the Wii in relation to the PS3/360 and look at how that turned out, the difference was tremendous.

I don't think anyone was saying that and if they were, they were loonies. The Wii came out late, we'd already seen what the 360 was doing, and Nintendo flat out said "Yeah we're not going HD we're just going to make games for the family."

For a graphical leap from the Wii U, that wide, the price of the console would be nasty, and if the Wii U has great software sales third parties will stick around and port up instead of down.

Of course this is all ideal. If the only top-selling games on the Wii U are Mario and Nintendo Land, it will be the Wii all over again.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zenintrude posted:

However, that's not happening and no one knows why...

It's almost like developers will flock to wherever their games will sell.

The 3DS is super barren right now though, aside N64 remakes and Mario Kart 7. Glad the Wii U's release is addressing that.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

You have a source for UE4? A quick google has a bunch of hits saying it will be on WiiU. But Im at work so most game sites are blocked.

Epic Games was mostly bluffing and trying to get companies to make stronger consoles, but that's not going to happen. No one wants to spend 500 dollars on a console and no one's going to take hundred dollar losses on console sales anymore.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 17, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Commissar Ken posted:

Yeah it was pretty much a "Oh it can go on there... but we're not gonna put for the effort to do it" sort of thing.

Of course every software engine developer wants the consoles to have turbo boost and run on rocket fuel. They're not paying for the gas, they're just slapping on their logo and grabbing up all the royalties.

Just look at some of the stuff Crytek has said they want in consoles. I don't think they realize that Micro/Sony/Nin are the ones that have all the pull, without them they're not selling poo poo.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 17, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I think there's a difference between architecture and engines, though, even though they go hand in hand in a way. I know it seems like I'm trying to twist the narrative to fit my points, but do you or others honestly not see the WiiU being the home to dumbed down ports or at least home to ports from the current generation like it's already becoming (ME3, Batman, etc.)?

Those ports are mainly for people who only had Wiis or just skipped those games. That said I really doubt that year-old ports will sell at all.

I can definitely see Tekken selling, but Batman? Everyone's loving played batman. It's truly a fantastic game and a must-play but seriously?

quote:

Who cares? Most games made with Unreal Engine are pieces of uninspired poo poo anyways.
1. A lot of developers use the unreal engine. It makes it so easy to develop a game it's crazy and usually worth the expense.
2. A lot of major games use the Unreal Engine and believe it or not aren't all the same. They've made sports games on the drat thing.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 17, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

To be fair, Edoraz said most. Naming four games doesn't negate Edoraz' point.

His point was that it wouldn't matter if UE4 wasn't on the U. But it does matter, a lot, unreal engine is kind of a big loving deal.

Of course it's going to run on the U though, like others have said they're just bluffing, they need those royalties and won't say no to money. They lose absolutely nothing by licensing it to a game that fails.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Man software has come far. I remember playing a Bioshock Demo for the first time and wondering when the hell this airplane crash cutscene was going to end, and then I twitched the joystick and my character moved.

I was like "Holy loving poo poo the game actually looks this good."

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

Was Borderlands 2 confirmed for the Wii-u or something? All I read was one blurb about the developers really being into the system but porting it was just a "maybe"

It hasn't been confirmed. Anyone who wants it will get it on the PC anyway, wouldn't be financially viable to port it months late.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nintendo's the definition of a company that can't do what it wants. If you look up interviews with the top Zelda developer he has flat out said that he's been stuck in a "Zelda prison" for over a decade, finishing development on one game and then just getting started on the next, or overseeing a handheld and console Zelda at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Nintendo should shuffle the deck chairs a little. Put a kirby guy in charge of Zelda, put Aunoma on Mario, put Miyamoto on one of the side franchises like Wario he hasn't typically worked on. I love all of their creators, there's plenty of projects to work on. If they want stuff to feel a little fresher and want the creators to feel like they are doing something fresher, shuffle them around a little bit.

The thing is there IS a lot of cross-influence when developing games, and a lot of new ideas and game concepts wind up in Mario and Zelda games, instead of new IPs.

It'll always sell better that way, after all. Zelda is proven. The "Open World Adventure Game with Different Characters by The People Behind Zelda" game will not do so well.

• Locked thread