Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Great OP; though the games link at the bottom looks kind of cluttered.

Still on the fence about Rayman despite the news last night but can't decide

Psalmanazar posted:

Monster Hunter is going to own, everyone should get it.

If I can ask; what's the appeal to the series? Me and a friend tried the one on the wii and the intro turned the two of us off because the tutorial was boring as all hell. I feel like we missed something but just wanting to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Katana Gomai posted:

I can't believe "the news" turned people into such absolute bitches on a whim. All they have said is that a portion of the game turns it into a sorta rhythm game which seems to make sense to me especially considering the levels mentioned are timed to fit a song anyways. The other option would be to have Rayman run on his own which means you could only interact by hitting a single button to jump/hit things and that would be...exactly the same. I like the idea of mixing up the game, when have people stopped enjoying things?

For the record, I've played the game as both Rayman and the-guy-who-controls-the-GamePad and it's fun both ways.

It's not just the rhythm levels though.

Which still sucks regardless because the tricky chase levels in the previous game were loving amazing and a ton of fun.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bobnumerotres posted:

My main reason to get a machine that plays games is to play games with my best friend. Oh no how did my life end up like this?! How do I get out of this rut?

You're mysterious.

"I can't wait to buy a high in demand device to troll people"

Then go figure, when someone calls you out on the fact that's a stupid thing to say "What no I just wanna play with friends :(!"

Also just finished paying everything off, biting the bullet on Rayman just because I want to believe it'll be fantastic, and Mario because hey it's Mario. Only thing left to grab up is a wii remote recharge station.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you get procontrollers yet?

Nah; or at least I have no idea if you can yet or not.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

zenintrude posted:

Why would you do this? I mean, what you do with your money is your own business, but why not keep your money until it releases and pay it off then?

Not sure why you need to let GS (or whomever) make money off of you sooner than they have to.

What a odd thing to get hung up on.

1: I have a lot of poo poo to cover with bills and the like. I'm quite poor so getting it finished when I can is appealing to me.

2: I have a preorder at a local gamestop just down the road, why wouldn't I pay it off? They're getting my money either way so why does it matter? My gamestop is pretty cool with me so it's not like it pains me to walk in and chat with the dude behind the counter and be done with it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

Mainly that if you have limited income it's better to have that 300 on hand in case a pipe bursts or your transmission gives out or you have to go to hospital and other emergencies. If it doesn't happen you buy the U as normal. If it does happen you gotta wait. I don't know what Gamestop's cancellation policy is though, so maybe it's liquid anyway.

Eh; it's pretty normal to do around here. That and I've been planning to do this for the last few months really. Saving up just to get it all taken care of when it's ready and all that; and if I need to get any of it back I just go up and cancel; put 50 back down on my bundle and suddenly I'm back to step 1.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

zenintrude posted:

I'm hardly "hung up" on it, but I was curious enough to ask... as greatn pointed out, it's (potentially) the difference between having money on hand and not having money on hand for whatever may come up, which for someone who's "quite poor" I would think would be somewhat important.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I figured I'd ask about the rationale since it didn't even cross my mind to pay more than the minimum... and I figure others would share this sentiment considering many were commenting about the fact that Wal-Mart (and maybe Best Buy as well?) charged their card the full amount from the outset.

Fair enough; hung up wasn't the proper term to really use either. It just seemed obvious to me. As I said been saving up a side amount of money for awhile so keeping it for later just didn't register for me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is it confirmed that you can use the game pad to help in boost rush mode?

Yep

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

Here's a weird interview with Miyamoto, not exactly Wii U related, but there's no catch all nintendo thread and it's interesting. For instance in this interview Miyamoto confirms Mario had been practicing medicine without a license.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/09/24/miyamoto-tezuka-interview.aspx

This made me stupidly happy. As simple as it is whenever a friend would jokingly ask about why Bowser and Mario are all friendly in spinoffs I'd just assume that they were actors in a play. Like Mario clears a level; walks off the set and gets a coffee, then comes back. (Hell Mario 3 looked like it was a stage)

So glad to see my silly thought was actually right.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend went to a wii-u event the other day and got to try out Rayman and Mario; he asked about the whole Murphy situation as well but apparently the dude there had no idea what was going on with the single player. Bah

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Iacen posted:

Rayman has been delayed:

Source

Part of me hopes that the murphy backlash has them reconsidering things.

May be speaking out my rear end but after Nintendo power revealed it really is 50/50 friend mentioned a lot of people getting seriously pissed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

I don't think there was any real murphy backlash, just some goon over reaction.

I saw it on various websites that I frequent so; v:v:v

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

I was way down on Rayman before, completely unfairly, in the previous thread. Then after watching some more and playing some games, I was enthused for it. I guess I don't care if Rayman isn't the main character because I honestly don't care about any of the characters, and the platforming and world altering gamestyles both sound very interesting to me.

I thought the designers had clarified that most of the game was standard platforming though, with Murphy type levels being as numerous and lengthy as bonus missions or something. In any event I hope they don't drop it altogether.

In a interview he said roughly half, the interviewer gave him a rather dirty "are you serious" look and commented on it. Lead designer backed off saying he misspoke.

Nintendo power just revealed that he was backpedaling and it really is 50/50 Murphy controlled.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

microwave casserole posted:

I really, really like the "theme" for the original NSMB, but after three iterations of the same thing I'm ready for something new. It doesn't help that they keep adding more and more bah bahs until literally the whole song is bah bahs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GK41pLUuP0

Welcome to hell

Also NSMB2 was ONLY recycled music minus Reznor and... one other song that's on the tip of my tongue, otherwise it was either direct rips or very slight variations.

Edit: I find it funny this image still manages to trick people, and I find it relevant to the topic at hand.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mennonites Revenge posted:

Are you referring to the incorrect labels on the right, or the omission of the Japanese SMB2 on the left?

The labels aren't the only thing switched :ssh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chaltab posted:

What else is switched?

The Mario's are edited, the DS one is in the 3DS screenshot and likewise

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Monode posted:

Moving from Mario to another WiiU platformer...

Rayman Legends has been delayed until Q1 2013

I really hope this is them going "Well poo poo people don't want Murphy levels? Guess we'd better take them out". Because I will gladly wait longer if that's the case.

Late by a number of pages, but doubt that's the case. I think at most they'll rework it so you can change midstage that way it's not all murphy.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So these are supposed to be set up at gamestops right? Went up to mind and when I asked "No way man no one is doing that, you're insane!!" Then proceeded to tell me that no one is setting a wii-u up stand anywhere till the console launches because it might get stolen or something stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was wrong, again. I swear my gamestop is cool but this new guy acts like a loving know it all :psyduck:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just got a chance to try out that Rayman Demo, controller felt kind of... strange to me, but I liked it. I think. The gamestop manager came over to watch me for some reason and was somehow surprised when I didn't get murdered in Castle Rock. I just kind of smiled and shrugged it off. For a brief moment my faith was 100% restored. The colors were fantastic and watching the game in full motion was great. The running and jumping controls felt nice and it was platforming bliss once again.

Then I played the Murphy level. While I was crying from depression man was it boring. I have no idea why they thought this was a good idea because, frankly it isn't. The worst part was there's a part where I need to slide a platform over a pit of fire, there's a enemy on one side, and incoming fireballs. I'd clear the entire screen of fireballs, start tickling the enemy like the game wants me to... and the AI would jump as high as it could into a freshly spawned fireball and get itself killed. Twice. Talk about a total moodkill. I really hope the delay is to get rid of Murphy mode (As in, have the AI control HIM and leave me alone)

It also doesn't help that I changed my character to Rayman and the Murphy level forced me into being Barbara anyway (She was waiting with murphy)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm only counting it as a SMW map if there's a dick move goal. You know, the one where the path shows up and it's a circle leading right back to the same level. Or Forest of Illusionist.

That and secret little one off stages that may or may not give you a glimpse of the final area of the game.

I like the idea of the map being totally open, after you beat the Desert you come to a fork in the road, you can head up to the token ice level or down to the beach.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The music made me angry.

Also Nintendo, if you want to appeal to older audiences show people older then 10 playing it jeez. To be on the positive side, I did like the giant U thing.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

absolutely anything posted:

You don't have to tell me twice guys, going outside is scary as poo poo. Who knows what could happen. :ohdear:

Absolutely anything.

I'm just gonna pick mine up when the store opens around here. There's never been problems where I live so not worried at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So this is some weird fan commercial made by Nintendomination that people might assume is a real commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP-2M2tpY04

Made me think of this instantly

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm seriously expecting one news report at the least of a injury over this. What a insane idea.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh my god Nintendo, that world map

:allears: I'm so excited right now

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/3/

Just saw Giant Bombs Quick Look of Tank Tank Tank.

It looks really fun! Sad that it doesn't have online though, me and my pals all live away from each other these days so wouldn't really have anyone to play it with though, and full retail price and singleplayer only? Ehhh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Random Stranger posted:

Whelp, I just spotted my first Wii U scalper. On my local craigslist someone is selling his pre-order from Wal-mart for $600. :rolleyes:

I'm finding myself hoping that the Wii U gets off to a PS3 style slow start just so that anyone who does try this kind of stuff gets burned as badly as the PS3 guys did six years ago.

Friend of mine's sister sold HIS ticket $1000. She then proceeded to tell him that she'd try to get him a normal 8 wii-u with it :v:;

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

miscellaneous14 posted:

I find it kind of funny that I never got to try the Wii U version of a multi-platform game I was testing, and when I saw it on one of the demo kiosks, the "video" was just a bunch of screenshots. :shepface:

I'm surprised those kiosks don't at least have a NSMBU demo.

Gamestop one's have Rayman Legends, the one at my Walmart just has trailers.

Best way to test a system is with videos right?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

With all the reviews flying up today am I the only one a bit... weirded out by the free pass NSMBU is getting? I fully expect the game to be pretty good and I'm excited for it, but some if not most of the reviews boil down to "Pros: It's a Mario game!" and "Cons: Everything ranging from Graphics, to Music, to lazyness." and it's still getting 9/10's and the like.

Yeah it's just numbers and I'd be fine if it got like a 7 or something, but just came off as odd to me as most reviews actual writing makes it sound like it should be a bit lower. v:v:v Eh though, can't wait to pick it up on Sunday and see for myself.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Edoraz posted:

They said it's pretty creative, rivals Super Mario World in world design and stage design. Hell, I think Joystick said it gets drat sadistic towards the end and the special stages. Pretty much all the creativity and love went into this game, not the 3DS one.

Oh I don't doubt that, it's why I'm so excited for the game, just stuff like IGN and Gamexplain and a few others I read had various complaints on several things, and each review ended with 9.5/10 4/5 scores and it just seemed strange to me is all!

Honestly I'm super excited for boost rush mode personally, frantically trying to keep up with a vindictive screen just sounds fun to me.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My Gamestop just called me and said that they're no longer doing a early opening. What the hell :negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Giant Bomb isn't going to get ripped apart for doing that right? I mean it was funny but would suck if they screwed themselves just to share music.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ChocNitty posted:

What Launch titles are you guys buying?

New Super Mario Bros U
Nintendo Land

Got a bit of money down on Pikmin 3 and Rayman as well, and hoping to get the Wonderful 101 too because I love you platinum, you crazy diamonds.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Have they described how to get DLC? I think I'm going to get Sonic's racing game when I pick it up tomorrow and I haven't really heard if the eshop's going to mostly be the same or whatever (I never used it despite owning a 3DS/Wii anyway)

Also saw this floating around, sharing because why not :v:

Edit: Wait people are praising Skyward Sword? The gently caress?
I liked the visuals and concepts but that game was padded, full of nothing but backtracking, and the only good part of it was a certain segment in the desert area. It looked pretty and was better then Twilight Princess in just about every way but it was still awful.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bombadilillo posted:

You say this like it's the majority opinion. It's not. You didn't like it, cool. Why are you so shocked other people did? Most people loved it. Dont pretend like you didn't know that.

Actually was hoping for more of a debate on why people liked it more then anything v:v:v

Skyward Swords airspace was empty, and had almost nothing in it other then the one or two chests, the controls for rolling bombs and sometimes sword swings were kind of wonky, there was next to no enemy variation (all of the enemies seemed to be some kind of bokoblin), there are only 3 areas in the game, and none of them are too terribly interesting, Fi is possibly the worst partner in the entire franchise who would spout off the same information you heard literally five seconds ago and was generally obnoxious at almost all times, the beetle was a new good item but... I genuinely can't remember any other new weapons, all of the bosses were neat until the last half of the game where it resycles the same bosses repeatedly and constantly, the item upgrades didn't feel important at all to me and just seemed like "Hey you can do this" but... doesn't actually add anything, there's almost no side quests in the entirety of the game aside from the main one, and what little there is you already knew the reward was going to be so there was next to no excitement in completing a optional task... and there's a lot (a LOT) of padding or random poo poo just to extend game time (Tadstones and the like)

It's just not something that seemed very well put together in my opinion so was kind of curious as to why other dudes loved it so much.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 17, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I gave my reasons, not sure why it's a strawman though, I thought it was valid.

But yeah I worded it incorrectly, my apologies on that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silver Falcon posted:

I'll grant you the sky overworld being barren and empty. Lots of wasted potential there. And the flying controls were stupid and horrible, and you don't even get to name your bird?! Stupid.

I liked the overworlds though. There were only three of them, sure, but each one was quite distinct from the others. I enjoyed going back to each one, opening up new areas, and seeing what had changed.

Also Groose. Best thing about that game.

And if you didn't enjoy Bomb bowling, I don't know what to tell you. That poo poo is awesome!

I didn't say I hated all of it, just that a lot of it bothered me.

I just wish that 2 of the 3 worlds didn't feel so uninspired and generic really. The only one I really enjoyed exploring was the desert as it did a lot of cool stuff with the time stones. The forest was just a forest (albeit a very pretty forest) and the Volcano was just a generic mountain area.

Groose was pretty great, I just wish Ghiriham (I probably spelled that wrong) was great as well. That dude had so much potential but it was always "I'm going to kill you for loving up my plans so often! ...just not today because"

The bomb bowling controls didn't work for me most of the time, that's why I didn't like it that much. I just couldn't get it to work that well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Been playing Mario U. Holy hell it's 20x better then NSMB2's awful installment, it strangely feels like a little bit of Rayman Origins snuck itself in as well.

Also how about that system update. Holy hell had enough time to reorganize my entire room, pick up the trash, move a ton of stuff around, and watch a 40 minute video :psyduck:

I can't even use Miiverse for some reason

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

JSnake posted:

Is Miiverse being a pile of poo poo for anyone else? Pops up an error code whenever I try to post a message.

Yeah, while playing Mario I get the message after every other level and... a handful of drawings gone to waste. Golly this is frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man Mario Wii-u, I'm sorry I doubted you man. You've got some crazy bosses that are surprisingly really fun to fight. Hell Bowser Jr's second fight before Peach's Castle stomped me for awhile

Good game

• Locked thread