Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah, apparently me and my sources were confused because the sensor bar is being included in that supplemental package with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. Not sure why they'd sell the sensor bar separately if it was included in both packages. Or maybe that's just for Europe?

IIRC it's for Japan, too. And given how the Game Pad has a sensor bar built-in, I'm not sure it's 100% necessary, either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Do they usually have pre-orders before ESRB ratings are out? I imagine that's why the warning is there.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

I just want to see Nintendo put enough confidence in their own online infrastructure to show it's worthwhile. I'd have expected, at bare minimum, a title announcement with the tag "It has online", even for something that's expected to have it, like the inevitable Mario Kart 8. I don't need screenshots or anything, just confirmation that they're doing something with online besides DLC or Miiverse stuff.

The fact that, as far as I know, no Nintendo titles use online outside of Miiverse is disconcerting, and makes me think Nintendo still sees online as an enhancement rather than an important way to play games.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

I'm just happy they didn't announce that Super Mario World is part of the Zelda timeline.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Edit: I find it funny this image still manages to trick people, and I find it relevant to the topic at hand.

Are you referring to the incorrect labels on the right, or the omission of the Japanese SMB2 on the left?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

... Does the Gamepad have rumble?

Yes.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Iwata Asks: Wii U Volume 2: Gamepad! (click)

Is it unusual that the SDK was developed in America, albeit with tight cooperation with Nintendo Ltd.?

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 17, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Even if it is true, I'm saving my rage for when they announce in a 1 AM PST Nintendo Direct that friend codes are back and required to use any Miiverse features.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

There must be some confusion with the voice chat thing. Would you need a headset for video chat???? Does anyone remember that goofy generic action figure trailer Nintendo did for Nintendo Direct where the guy was talking to his grandpa without a headset, both video chat and while he was playing the game?

Was that trailer just bullshit?

I don't recall him talking to "grandpa" in-game. Sounded like he had to go back to the OS to view Miiverse posts and do video chat.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

And it's less confusing to consumers. I imagine there's going to be headaches when mom n' pop buy the new Wii U and find they don't have MotionPlus for the Nintendoland games that need it.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

The problem is that they're marketing this as your one-stop tool for your living room. It has TV support, an internet browser, video chat, online message boards for every game, and a controller that allows you to keep playing when someone else wants to use the TV. To take 1 GB of OS space and not offer universal, cross-game chat (even just among friends) is hard to understand for me.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

I was under the impression all GameStop pre-orders were sold out, but not Wii U stock in general. Even if GameStop is backlogged a few months, I know some stores (like Target) don't even take pre-orders.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

The original NSMB had a loop-around exit thing, but it was in one of the optional worlds.

Regarding F-Zero, I think just having online play (with at least 20 racers, given MKWii did 12), would be enough of a reason for Nintendo to consider it. It'd be a great way to show the capabilities of their netcode, assuming they're up to it. Add more varied tracks, some roster changes, maybe even a battle mode or something, and you've got a great way to introduce a new generation to BOOST POWER.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I do think it would actually be a very smart thing for Nintendo to have all their characters be in the same "universe" besides the Smash Bros. games. In this age of fans loving their canon it would make for easy and constant tie-in products/get ____ game to see more of ____ character etc.

If you're just talking about cameos, fine, but I certainly don't want to see the Zelda timeline theorists be able to legitimately say Peach is a reincarnation of Zelda and Pikmin are a form of Pokémon.

Smash Bros. should really pull out a lot of this stuff for their next Adventure Mode, though. Brawl's was pretty lacking in the whole "worlds cross over" department.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

They should've done it sooner to have better timing for their showcase reveal, the Everybody Votes Channel II. Now with three options per poll!

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

If you pause the NOA video immediately at 1:55, you'll see the home menu.

Current Mii is on the left, presumably if you have multiple users you can switch by tapping here.

"Channels" include the disc drive, the Mii editor, system settings, video chat, Wii mode (!), stat-tracking, parental controls, and the health/safety warnings. This presumably means that video chat can't be done during a game.

Miiverse, eShop, Internet Browser, TVii, and Notifications are all non-channel icons, so they can be used when gameplay is paused. So you can go shopping when playing a game, but not video chat. You lied to me, guy who talks to action figures!

EDIT: I should watch the video itself, you can be notified that a video chat is coming in when playing, but I'm not sure if that means you can keep the game suspended...

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 7, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

You sure it's not going to be a copy-then-play thing like the SD card support on the Wii?

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Some details on the non-game software. Notably:

• Wii mode is just like the Wii's GCN mode (they even have to have a special channel to quit back to Wii U). Additionally, it does seem like you'll have to redownload things. :sigh:
  • The Home menu is a combination of the Wii's and the 3DS', though unlike the latter it doesn't look like you can just browse the applications when suspended. Friend List, Miiverse, eShop, Internet Browser, TVii, and Download Manager are available when suspended; the latter I believe is new, and likely it allows you to keep playing while eShop content is being downloaded, and cancel it if needed.
  • The Miiverse is pretty standard stuff; activity feed, game-specific communities, user-to-user messaging.
  • The Miiverse User Profile (image, presumably translated), which seems to confirm that the NinNet ID is a user-defined name, not a Friend Code with benefits ("willwill" in this example), and is separate from the familiar name ("Will" in this example).
  • Additionally, you can just follow users, instead of becoming friends. Likely this means you don't require mutual agreement, but can't, say, video chat. You can still do a traditional online friend request.
  • The MiiMaker is almost identical to the 3DS version, including the nifty camera feature.
  • eShop seems pretty standard, though it looks like it's going to be Wii U only. All original Wii stuff has to be handled in Wii mode through the Shop Channel.
  • Internet Browser supports up to six tabs.

I'm personally very excited to see a lot of the improvements brought through Miiverse, especially the loss of Friend Codes. I know that's a baby step, but it's a good baby step.

I'm less thrilled about the Wii Mode not even getting the same treatment DSi games got on the 3DS (same shop, don't need separate menu). I was under the impression that the Game Pad had a Sensor Bar built-in around it's camera; surely it wouldn't be hard to make Wii Mode load into the controller instead of the TV? And further, use the Game Pad's controls as if it were a Classic Controller? Or is the Wii's OS stack too messed up to allow that?

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 10, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The wii-on-gamepad thing isn't likely either, due to most games needing waggle controls or using the Wiimote as a pointer in the menus (Though it would be nice for Virtual Console games).

But the Game Pad has a "sensor bar" built-in. You could just point at the GamePad screen with a Remote for pointer-specific menus (though keep in mind the Wii Menu does accept the Classic Controller). Then, in addition, the buttons on the GamePad would work as a Classic Controller.

The only difficulty is that GamePad streaming would have to still remain active, and maybe that's not possible when doing Wii hardware emulation? Still, I hope it gets a fix, like SD Card support did.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Try to imagine yourself doing this without looking like a tool.

If I didn't want to look like a tool, I wouldn't be using a Wii Remote. I offered that in my original post mainly as a backward-compatibility concession; if my scheme was correct, I would never use it this way, instead using the Remote sideways or the pad itself as a Classic Controller. In the worst case scenario, I'd stand it up like Quest For Glory II was suggesting.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's almost certainly what's happening, and it's the entire reason you can't use the gamepad to begin with.

The reason why I ended that statement with a question mark is because I'm not entirely sure why there would be this hardware restriction. I'm not a hardware expert, so forgive me if the restriction is obvious. Certainly, given the fact that Wii Remotes work fine in Wii U mode, there isn't any wireless interference issues. That means any limitation would likely be in the processing and sending of the image, which based on the horror stories I've heard about the Wii's SDK, may very well indeed be the reason.

In an ideal world, though, couldn't you have the image sending / control receiving handled by the unused cores (the Wii was single-core, the Wii U is multi-core) while the rest of the system emulates Wii hardware?

japtor posted:

The black strip above the screen is a sensor bar (aka 2 IR LEDs).

This is what I thought, especially based on this. I can't find any source that explicitly confirms my assumption, though.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, then my hopes are diminished.

The Wii also had an ARM coprocessor, for handling Wii-specific features (distinct from the Gamecube compatibility). It's very likely they're the same on the Wii U; therefore, you can either use the processor as the Wii did (as a gate to Wii hardware) or as the Wii U will (for the GamePad; presumably Wii U handles Wii hardware through a different method), but not both.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

thefncrow posted:

From what I understand, the Wii stuff on the WiiU is like the GC stuff on Wii was. They're not doing emulation of any form, they've just stuffed the hardware from the last console inside the next console, and so whenever you hit up GC/Wii mode, the new console features go to sleep and it's like you're playing on a GC/Wii.

Maybe I misused the phrase "hardware emulation". I was saying essentially you could trick the Wii hardware into thinking the GamePad screen was the actual TV screen, in a similar way that the 3DS can trick its DSi components into using a stripped-down Home menu (by telling it the device went into sleep mode). I think after this last page of discussion, that's looking pretty unlikely.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

So Miiverse is actually universal and runs in the background?

Yes, as is the eShop. Even if a game doesn't give access to it directly like NSMBU or Nintendo Land, you can still use Miiverse from the Home Menu.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Rirse posted:

Question, does formatting the Wii erase the shop channel data?

I dunno about the money on the account, but you retain your licenses.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

What Im wondering is if classic Wii mode will be limited to 512 megs of storage, or if it can take advantage of the much larger Wii U internal storage and allow me to keep all my downloaded games right on the front menu.

Surely one of these journalists must have tried this by now.

Wii-to-Wii U transfer is part of the Day 1 OS patch.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

The lack of 3DS mention by Bill in that video is concerning. Do we know the extent of planned 3DS support for the Nintendo Network? I'm getting the feeling it's going to be in the same category as smartphones and web browsers; can view and post on Miiverse for Wii U titles, but no unified account, eShop, or Miiverse support for your 3DS games.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

I've heard that some Targets have already gotten Wii U shipments. I've never ordered a major release like this online before, but from what I understand, shipments directly to customers don't happen until Sunday.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

There's been no word on installing from disc, so it seems unlikely, at least for now.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does anyone know if I'll be able to set up my Nintendo ID on a friend's console? We're both getting ours tomorrow morning, and I'll be spending all day at his apartment where we're gonna play Mario Friends.

On that livestream, I saw the option to create a new User from a NinNet ID, instead of creating a new account whole-cloth. So probably you can set it up on your friend's console, then re-use the ID when you get home.

Jet Set Jettison posted:

E: Also is there any sort of 'group' feature? So goons can draw goofy things just for eachother?

I think so:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software/#/miiverse posted:

Customize your settings
You can set the publish range of your profile or posts to "Everyone," "Friends Only," or "Private." This lets you control who sees your posts.

Presumably they don't have enough staff to moderate anything but "Everyone".

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 18, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

They are tied to your Username ("Nintendo Network ID").

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Skeezy posted:

You can have 100.

You can also "follow" up to 1000 people on Miiverse, but I don't think that gives you any sort of actual gameplay connection.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Wait, can you play games from a hard drive? Or is it for storage only? The Verge seems to think it's the latter.

quote:

Plus, games can’t be run from an external drive, so again — the Deluxe Edition is the way to go.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Skunk Ape posted:

2) What is the icon in the bottom right of Miiverse posts that looks like a tv/box with a check mark by it? It's next to the icons that show the number of yeahs and replies.

It means the person in question has actually played the game.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

parasyte posted:

Seeing the Player mentioned made me wonder if anyone tried those link games with a squadron of GBA Players instead of real GBAs. Turns out, someone did.

You'll be happy to see this.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

It'll send them a notification if you add them as a friend via Miiverse.

A lot of the UI functions like that ought to be cleaned up and/or consolidated.

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like you can do requests from the Friends List... just not on arbitrary names. You have to go to the list of people you've previously played with online, and you can send a request there. I know that's not much consolation, but there's some sort of tortured logic to this, apparently.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe I just have buyer's-defense, given I selected the game as part of my console bundle, but I thought the Rayman demo was a lot of fun! The second level was certainly the best, but both the Murphy and Castle Rock levels had a lot of appeal. Maybe Murphy doesn't bother me as much because I've never played a Rayman game before.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Gee that would have been nice to have as a prompt on screen, or perhaps have a small mention in all 2 pages of the manual.

I know, right? Two other things I've discovered from other players, rather than actual game documentation:

You can also play with a different controller in Career by pressing + on it instead of the GamePad at the title screen. This still lets you use the GamePad as a map, almost like a really big DS. I personally don't prefer it, but it's nice that it's there.

Also, you can join friends' online custom games by pressing Y and selecting them at the front end. I don't think you can pop yourself in to a matchmaking round like MK7, though.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

With Amusement Vision having been folded into Sega, is it safe to assume that a chunk of F-Zero GX's staff worked on Sonic Transformed?

No, All-Stars Racing was made by Sumo Digital, a European third-party, and some Blur alumni worked on it. AV and its remnants are apparently behind the Yakuza series, but I'm not familiar with that.

Sumo working on an F-Zero game would be pretty interesting, though I suspect no matter who Nintendo gives the license to, they would still maintain a level of creative control even stronger than Sega does with the All-Star series.

Akileese posted:

Are there issues with adding friends from different regions? I tried adding my friend from Australia and I'm not sure if he's an idiot who misspelled his username or this is a real thing.

Shouldn't be, I have a friend or two from across the Atlantic.

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 18, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone know why Miiverse posts in NSMBU are limited to 90 characters instead of 100? Such a strange limitation worries me about the system's cohesiveness from a software design perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

NSMBU isn't compatible with the Classic or Pro, anyway. Not entirely sure why not, given the Game Pad already has the necessary control schemes.

• Locked thread