Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Some of these large brick and mortar retailers are notorious for flubbing console launches. On the eve of the PS3's launch, I recall the BestBuy nearby my house using a lottery system as a means of handing out consoles. A lot of people who were in the front of the line left empty handed that day. I am sure that most of these retailers have gotten their act together by now, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least a handful of stores completely drop the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Monode posted:

I'm also confused about the ZombiU bundle. GAME still says it comes with NintendoLand on their site but other sources say otherwise. If it does I'll probably nab that one.

Unfortunately, the ZombiU bundle doesn't include Nintendoland.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 16, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

It uh, isn't a choice between the two? And it's not like the graphically intense consoles only have gritty shooter #1426 as exclusives (albeit that's certainly the majority of them), there are awesome exclusives like Halo and LBP that make great use of the console's graphical capabilities to contribute towards a very pleasing aesthetic, and processing capabilities to contribute to things that simply wouldn't have been possible on the Wii.

Graphic and processing capabilities are also a big part of the kind of ports the Wii U will get, and this can mean something as light as "Wii U gets the same game minus the PhysX particles/tesselation," or something as bad as "Wii U isn't getting the game at all."

Now if the Wii U is a success and totally swallows the gaming market whole, developers will give not one poo poo how much stronger the other consoles are, they will make games for the platform their games will sell on. Development is not funded by magic and love, unfortunately.

Given the rising cost of game development, it may be more advantageous for developers to lead with the Wii U and offer some small visual enhancements for the Orbis and Durango ports. Essentially, it could parallel multiplatform development during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era— start working from the lowest common hardware denominator and move up from there.

Mak0rz posted:

Let me rephrase my question.

If I want to play Xenoblade Chronicles or any SNES or N64 games via the Virtual Console in "Wii Mode" can I use the new Pro controller or do I have to use the Wii Classic?

Wii Classic Controller

The Operative fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 16, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Hobo Siege posted:

The issue is that the Wii U is a 360 or thereabouts, just as the Wii before it was a slightly upticked Gamecube. This system will face similar challenges to the Wii, and it won't have an explosive new control scheme to get everyone talking. The only difference is that the U's going to have a year to compete with the current gen.

Ya'll sure are uptight.

I don't understand blanket statements like these. The Wii U has twice as much usable RAM as the Xbox 360 and a GPU that is at least three generations ahead of its predecessors. You could make the argument that the CPU is going to be a bottleneck for the device in the future, but to say that the Wii U is only as powerful as the Xbox 360 is an understatement at best, and disingenuous at worst.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 16, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Hobo Siege posted:

Consider that this thing is going to be rendering three screens at max load, one of them in HD. That's going to be a fairly severe drag, and the unimpressive CPU isn't going to help. I don't think we're looking at an N64 > Dreamcast type leap here.
In terms of what you are talking about, the only major limitation is the streaming technology; otherwise, rendering two to three different instances of the game should theoretically be similar to managing a standard split screen multiplayer game on any other console.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

So the gamepad has a camera right. So when games come out that give you a buy new bonus or some such, is there anything stopping them from having 2D barcodes or something similar as opposed to entering ridiculous codes.

They could, but I would imagine that it requires more effort for them to implement than it's worth.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Im buying Nano assault right away, that thing looks awesome.

The guys at Shinen are technical wizards. It is amazing how much their small team has managed to pull off on Nintendo's consoles and handhelds.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 17, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Why do we assume that next generation games will need to be downported to the Wii U? If the architecture across all three platforms are similar enough, games are more likely to lead on the Wii U than any other device.

Edit:

zenintrude posted:

Your answer, it doesn't have games, only explains why consumers aren't buying the system.

But why doesn't it have games? If developers and publishers flock to consoles that have better processing power, then the Vita should be overflowing with content... and then, seemingly, people would love the Vita!

However, that's not happening and no one knows why...

Few people are willing to pay $250 for a dedicated gaming handheld. Also, without a strong userbase, not very many developers are willing to embrace the platform.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 17, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Uhm but the architecture WON'T be similar enough, especially when you look at the numerous engines being made for the 720/PS4 and developer comments about how they're not supporting the WiiU with those engines (UE4, anyway). They will not lead on the WiiU when the new 720/PS4 come out.

Unless I am mistaken, Mark Rein already mentioned that UE4 can run on Wii U.

quote:

"I'll state that I don't think it's our intention to bring Unreal Engine 4 to Wii U, but Unreal Engine 4 is going to be supremely scalable."

"We'll run on mobile phones and on a wide variety of things, so if a customer decides they want to port an Unreal Engine 4 game to Wii U, they could."

Source

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Louisgod posted:

I think there's a difference between architecture and engines, though, even though they go hand in hand in a way. I know it seems like I'm trying to twist the narrative to fit my points, but do you or others honestly not see the WiiU being the home to dumbed down ports or at least home to ports from the current generation like it's already becoming (ME3, Batman, etc.)?

Certainly. Odds are that publishers like EA and Ubisoft will be first in line to re-release their current generation titles on the Wii U. However, I don't think that would dissuade them from also porting or leading their next generation games on the device either. For all we know, the technological leap between the Wii U and either Durango or Orbis could parallel that of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. If that is the case, then the userbase, not hardware, will ultimately define how and where publishers show their support. My point being that there are presently far too many unknowns, ranging from Durango and Orbis's hardware specs to Sony's massive internal restructuring, to make an educated guess about the future of Wii U third party support.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 17, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

limaCAT posted:

Did Wii officially access hard disks as well? I'm asking because Nintendo probably could access SD Cards with FAT filesystem because FAT is not covered by patents while other filesystems by MS are covered by it (see ExFAT or NTFS)... the main difference between FAT, ExFAT and NTFS are that FAT officially only accesses 4gb of disk (there are extensions but they are not official extensions, Windows XP could not format a volume of more than 4gb, only access it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT32#FAT32
Only Wiis that run custom firmware can access hard drives.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

curious in this question as well.

I'm really torn on whether to get it now, or wait until after the holidays to see if it price drops. $350 is a bit out of my price range, and given I already am a big Xbox user, I am mostly getting it for my wife to play it. I just see a scenario where the U doesn't sell well and they cut prices like they did with the 3DS.

Is there anything releasing within the launch window that either you or your wife really want to play? If yes, then I would recommend buying one. Given the amount of attention and pre-release excitement the console has managed to garner over the past few weeks, odds are pretty good that we will not see a price drop for at least a year. However, with that said, if none of the launch window games interest you, you could always wait. There might be retailer specific sales or promotions once the console is no longer supply constrained.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/13/zombiu-nintendo-direct-europe-wiiu-preview Video breaking down ZombiU..

RIGHT at :45 seconds, you can see the main menu of the game. There's "Uplay" in there. Guess Nintendo really is allowing devs to do whatever they want with the multi?

There's also Multiplayer, Leaderboards, and a "map launcher" option, and there's a hardcore mode where you try to get through as much of the game as possible without dying once.

drat this game is going to be the poo poo.

Uplay is also in Ubisoft's X360 and PS3 games.

Edit: Here is how it works in Splinter Cell: Conviction.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 18, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

I thought it was only on PC and maybe PS3 titles, since Microsoft is very iffy about stuff that messes with their online system.

I've never had the chance to play a Uplay game on either the PS3 or 360, but, based on my experience with Ubi's PC games, I would have to assume that the service doesn't really do much outside of offering cross-platform achievements and extra in-game unlocks. It seems to compliment Xbox Live/PSN more than trying to replace it, which is why Microsoft might not be as reluctant to allow Uplay to run on their service as they may have been otherwise.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 18, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Rake Arms posted:

So does that mean I'll have a separate friend list for all my Ubisoft games? After Nintendo finally got the friend list thing right? And it has separate achievements too*. That's kind of annoying. I hope it doesn't become a trend among major third parties (though I know EA is doing it too). I could take this sort of thing more seriously if it could import data from your existing PSN/XBL/NN account.

*I don't think achievements are confirmed for Wii U, but there have been a bunch of leaks strongly pointing to it. I personally don't give a poo poo if it has them or not, but I guess some people do?

Like Policenaut said, at least on current generation consoles, Uplay is intended supplement the main online service. For the time being, we know very little about the structure of Nintendo Network, outside of it working with Uplay in some capacity.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 18, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Publishers can afford to offer discounts on their PC games because PC gaming’s presence in retail is nearly non-existent. I implore anyone in the US to try finding a physical copy of Sleeping Dogs for the PC— you can't. In fact, none of Square-Enix's upcoming PC games are even slated to be printed on discs. They clearly aren't gaining very much from having a retail presence, so why continue to waste resources on manufacturing physical copies and staying in good graces with retailers? Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, on the other hand, still depend on stores, like GameStop and BestBuy, to move physical hardware / accessories and maximize their reach. On top of that, as Zenintrude has already mentioned, the number of competitors in a given space plays a significant role in pricing. I can purchase a digital copy of Hitman: Blood Money on the PC from a myriad of different digital distribution services and, as a result, have the ability to get it for much cheaper than the MSRP. However, on the Xbox 360, I can only purchase the game from the Xbox Live Marketplace at the full retail price. Short of buying a physical copy, I do not have any other alternative. With that said, Nintendo could provide promotional discounts to incentivize Wii U users to buy games from Nintendo Network, but odds are that they will opt to offer more Club Nintendo coins for digital purchases instead.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 24, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

There are several unannounced titles scheduled to be released during launch window:

quote:

Fils-Aime noted that that more unannounced Wii U games are in development, including some that will release “during the launch window that we haven’t announced yet."

Source

He is probably referring to unannounced third party titles and eShop downloadables that are slated for Q1 2013. Either way, I hope this mitigates the inevitable post-launch drought that nearly every game console experiences.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 25, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I find releasing only Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U, while the other platforms are expected to receive all three games in a single pack, to be incredibly baffling. One would think that the Wii U users benefit the most from having this kind of bundle.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

greatn posted:

And they're charging the same price too. Now the fact that no one buys Mass Effect 3(released a couple weeks later) for the Wii will be used by EA to not release the trilogy on Wii.

I would hope this at least inspires an angry phone call from Reggie to EA's president.

It is pretty indicative of EA's show of support for the Wii U. :effort:

The Operative fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 26, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

quote:

@RichIGN
NOA/NCL Nintendo Direct is 3DS related. Smaller focus (probably a single game). NOA likely comes tomorrow but TBD. Take "shortly" liberally.

Assuming they even mention the Wii U, I don't expect for there to be very many new details. Maybe they will unveil a couple of third party launch window titles and briefly touch upon the Wii U's UI, at most.

Edit: Given that this Nintendo Direct is 3DS centric, I wonder if they will talk about how Nintendo Network accounts will work on the 3DS.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 28, 2012

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Den of Lies posted:

So has there been any news on when the US will get TVii? It still says December when you open the app, so I'm hoping that still holds true.

Nothing yet. Though, it would probably be in their interest to get it out the door by Christmas.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Is there any sign thar Nintendo is going to make it so digital purchases aren't tied to a single console?
Right now its the disadvantages of digital with none of the benefits.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I believe eShop purchases are already linked to your Nintendo Network account. The issue right now is that the accounts are hard locked to the system. Presumably, that will change given that the setup process gives you the option to log into an existing NN account.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Isn't the Wii U VC upgrade service functionally similar to the upgrade path for iTunes Plus?

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Atomicated posted:

Looks like Rayman Legends is delayed until September. It's also coming to 360 and PS3 which I mention because you could infer that Murphy levels must not be a major focus of the game if it's getting ported to other consoles.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/rayman-legends-delayed-to-september-also-coming-to-xbox-360-and/

The more people who have the opportunity to play the game, the better. However, delaying what appeared to be a nearly complete game for the sake of having a simultaneous launch rubs me the wrong way.

As an aside, given the game's new release date, I wouldn't be surprised if it joins Orbis and Durango's respective launch line-ups later in the year.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 7, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Ubisoft posted:

"[the delay is] really about the fans. It’s really about having a very interesting universe, a mix of craziness and poetry mixed all together. We are very happy that we can bring that to many, many Rayman fans and the more we can, the better.”

We do it for the fans. :smug:

Edit: I wonder how this news reflects Ubisoft's current relationship with Nintendo. Not too long ago, Ubisoft announced that Nintendo was publishing Rayman Legends in Japan.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 7, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

The Monarch posted:

Unless Wii U hardware and software sales are so abysmal that not even being a platform exclusive would've helped it.

It makes perfect sense to release on other platforms. The market on Xbox and PS3 is like an order of magnitude larger. I mean it's perfectly possible that 90% of Wii U software buyers is still a smaller number than 5% of Xbox and PS3 software buyers.

Note I don't mean just the number of people who've bought the console, but the number who did so and continue to purchase software for it.

I don't think anyone is particularly miffed by the game coming to the PS3 and 360. As far as I know, most of us expected as much.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Releasing Rayman simultaneously across every platform absolutely makes sense. However, releasing in that particular part of the year does not. Come September, the conversation will be centered upon GTA V, Orbis, Durango, and Nintendo's Wii U games. Legends will certainly get a modest amount of attention, though not as much as if it released during the quieter parts of the 2013 or 2014.

Edit: I wonder if, given the new release date, Ubisoft is perfectly content with matching or slightly exceeding Origins's sales figures. In a sense, Ubisoft is cutting their losses on a title which was specifically for marketed for a device that they expected would sell much better than it is right now.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

But again, why did they not simply plan for that a while ago? Did they really make such a bone headed decision and not do a thing about it until the last minute only to drop this bomb on the fans? That isn't as much of a solid business decision as it is a "Oh crap we hosed up and now we have to do the next best thing" decision. Not saying I disagree with it overall mind you. It just strikes me as a result of very poor foresight and organization.
The decision must have been finalized at Ubisoft within the past two months. In December, Ubisoft sent out a press release announcing Nintendo as the publisher for Legends in Japan. The deal sounded very similar to Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3. I can't imagine Nintendo doing that now, given that the game isn't a timed exclusive anymore.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Ubisoft PR posted:

"There are no issues with the game development. All of the information was in the press release, the only reason for the delay is to release on multiple platforms," Ubisoft public relations specialist Sarah Irvin said. "We usually release all of our platforms simultaneously (aside from PC). We've made special exception sometimes in the past but it's definitely just on a case by case basis and not our standard practice. In this case, Ubisoft recently decided they wanted to release the game on multiple platforms so the decision was made to launch them all at the same time rather than separately. I know it's not an elaborate, 'convincing' answer, but it's the simple truth."

Well, at least they aren't using the "it's about the fans" rhetoric anymore.

Edit: This is the source.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 8, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Rocco posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say- so many people told me all day "BUT, BUT SEPTEMBER IS GTA MONTH!!"

Some of us don't want to loving play GTA, believe it or not.

The concern is that Rayman will be competing for shelf space and in-store marketing, at a time when retailers are going to emphasize other big budget titles. Some casual / impulse buyers that the game might appeal to may not even be aware that Legends is available or even exists.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I don't necessarily think that the game shouldn't have been delayed. Rather, I question how well Legends will do as a Fall 2013 title. The more I think about it, the more I feel like this may just be Ubisoft's way of cutting their losses on an initiative that simply didn't pan out as well as they hoped.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Is this going to devolve into a list warz discussion now?

Back on topic, Digital Foundry says the Wii U port of Sonic Racing is the all-around best console version of the game. Has anyone had the chance to play it?

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Regarding the earlier conversation about EA, I think it’s important to consider the Nintendo and EA’s history when discussing their present relationship. At least since the GameCube era, EA, and to some degree Nintendo, have made several attempts at reinvigorating interest in EA Sports games on Nintendo’s home consoles. With the notable exception of Tiger Woods and EA Sports Active on the Wii, none of their franchises really stuck in the same way they did on Microsoft and Sony’s consoles. Regardless of how large Nintendo’s user base got, sales numbers remained relatively poor. Now, with that in mind, the poor performance of EA’s sports titles on the Wii U may have simply been the last straw in what has long been a troubled relationship.

As for the Origin rumor, EA abandoning Nintendo outright on account of Nintendo opting to develop their network infrastructure sounds borderline absurd. EA could not have realistically expected Nintendo to adopt Origin, given Nintendo’s history and corporate culture. With that said, I would not put it past them to propose that type of partnership.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

At the risk of coming off as :tinfoil:, Montpellier's protest seems like a coordinated effort on Ubisoft's part to drum up some sympathy for the development team, by philosophically divorcing Montpellier from Ubisoft's executives. Playing off the studio as a victim potentially allows for the current discussion to change from "I'm not buying the game" to "In spite of Ubisoft's executive decision making, I am buying the game to support Michel Ancel and his team."

Edit: It just seems unlikely that the studio would be so vocal about what amounts to a pretty straight forward delay.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 12, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Spinning Robo posted:

I dunno. It seems impressively shortsighted to destroy all your goodwill for a game system's users just to guarantee the sale of a single game for it. I don't think ubisoft is dumb enough to just cash out like that in the wiiu's first year.

Do they have any other games slated for the Wii U? Come E3, we might see Ubisoft get on the same boat as EA.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Didn't Nyko announce a larger Wii U battery pack that doubles the GamePad's battery life? Not that I'm trying to excuse Nintendo's decision, but if you genuinely want to use the GamePad for more than a couple of hours, there are ways to do it.

Edit: Nintendo will cut corners wherever they can, if for no other reason than to maximize their margins. It's the same reason why neither the Wii or Wii U can play DVDs or, in the Wii U's case, Blu-Rays. I would venture to guess that Nintendo looked at the average playtime for the Wii and used it as a reference when determining the strength of the GamePad's battery.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 12, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Maybe if we're lucky, they'll talk about a couple of upcoming eShop games and one of the two firmware updates they plan on releasing between now and the end of spring.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The list I have has Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 listed as releasing on the same date. If that was true Platinum is fighting an uphill battle, it would be a Rayman vs. Mario situation.

It's probably safe to say those are placeholder release dates. Given that Nintendo will be publishing both games, it seems unlikely they would release Pikmin and Wonderful 101 on the same day.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Wii U sold about 55K in the month of January in the US. By comparison, in the January following the Gamecube's release, the GameCube sold 62K.

Edit: Also, the Vita versions of FIFA and Madden outsold their respective Wii U counterparts.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 15, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Software sales for the Wii U were just south of $15 million. Sounds like games aren't flying off the shelves either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Unfortunately, it appears that Nintendo misunderstood what originally attracted so many people to the Wii. They banked on their legacy IPs bringing people back, much like they thought the Wii did. In reality, millions bought the Wii not necessarily because it had Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, but because of games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and, to Ubisoft's credit, Just Dance. When people bought NSMB Wii or Mario Kart, it was a largely incidental purchase. They already owned, or at least planned on buying, a Wii. Very few people, I think, specifically bought the system for the purpose of playing Nintendo's core titles. With that said, none of Nintendo's current or upcoming games really demonstrate the benefit of using the GamePad. They tried to do that with Nintendo Land, but it did not have the same pick-up-and-play appeal Wii Sports did.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 15, 2013

• Locked thread