Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

they won't be completely different games running on different engines a la Wii ports.

UnrealEngine 4 won't be supported by Epic on the Wii U. They said a developer could put it on there if they wanted to, but nobody is going to put all that effort forth on a game by game basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001

Chronojam posted:

Now, why this is, there are a few reasons. I'm thinking a primary one is that you don't want some half-assed effort effort by devs who've never touched your engine to put out crap and sully your release, certainly; we all know the heartache caused by launch titles not living up to expectations, and a bad UE4 launch title reflects badly on Epic.

I don't think this is true at all. When UE3 came out Epic let other devs use with the understanding that it wouldn't truly be done until UT3 shipped. Famously, they let Silicon Knights put out Too Human (which was garbage) and Silicon Knights was furious that it was a bit lacking and Epic didn't care.

Also, Epic is not targeting PC. They're saying that because they can't talk about new consoles yet. Epic has money because of Gears and because UE3 powers a poo poo ton of console games. UE3 games come out on PC because they're easily portable. They aren't going to suddenly focus on PC and leave consoles as an afterthought, that would be like Apple focusing all iOS research on the ipod touch. Makes no sense.

I'm not saying anything bad about the Wii U, just refuting the claim that devs won't have to change engines for a Wii U release. UE4 will be on the next consoles from MS and Sony and it will not easily port to the Wii U, if at all. Really I think it's fine. People who are into games that will run on UE4 will have those consoles and Nintendo has its focus on a different demographic anyway. Nobody is buying a Wii U with the intention of not having to buy the next PS or Xbox if those are the games they are into.

ElProducto fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2012

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001

Chronojam posted:

Why do you think that UE4 will not easily port to the Wii U, out of curiosity? Everything I know from experience with UE3 and available info on UE4 seems to suggest otherwise.

Obviously I don't know anything, but it seems to me that if it was that easy, Epic would just do it. They're putting full support behind UE3, it seems to me that devs would just want to use that.

• Locked thread