Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious why it's coming out first in North America and not Japan :confused:

In NA, WiiU has to be released in time for Black Friday, the start of the pretty much only prime sales season.
Japan's year-end sales peak comes a lot later, spiking at Xmas, but much more hugely in the first couple days of new years when kids get cash gifts from relatives.

Missing Black Friday in NA isn't an option for Nintendo because it has to compete against the still healthy X360 and PS3 markets, not to mention the Apple juggernaut eating up disposable entertainment dollars.

In Japan, X360 is a non-factor and PS3 is waning with Japanese third parties losing interest and apparently zero first-party titles in the pipeline. The console market is there for WiiU to take, and I think it will with Mario and MH3G leading the charge.

Urgency's needed in NA. That's why we got to preorder already. NCL's not even allowing JP retailers to take preorders until it announces allocations in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
A 4K monitor is what I'm using now (2560 x 1600, 30").
Dell had them for as low as $1100 on sale, so the technology's already there.

But games running at 4K? Seems to me developers have enough trouble dealing with 1080 without catering to a graphical enhancement that's probably even less of a jump from DVD to Blu-Ray (and even here, the transition's not complete).

I'll happily jump on another 4K PC monitor, but a 4K living room TV isn't in the cards for me.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

The_Franz posted:

4K is 3840x2160.

Oops. I stand corrected.

Also, at that resolution, who the hell is going to produce software for it?
I can see ultra-high def cameras, but developers creating games at that resolution?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

PonchAxis posted:

Please you guys don't even know about bad controllers.

Yeah, Hori is a treasure trove of bizarre controllers, like the katana one (for Muso 3? Is that Dynasty Warriors from Koei?).

They also made the Dragon Quest Slime controller (with an easily disconnected cable...).

For the Dragon Quest hack and slash Wii game, they made this controller:

They were apparently inspired by Wii's split controllers to make this PS controller.

While I couldn't find any photos, they also made a custom PS2 controller with a tiny stand attached so a player could have her budgie sit on the controller while she played. (Famitsu special: Couldn't find photos.)

Hori also tried to make controllers with hair. (Like the stubbly stuff that used to pass as hair on GI Joe figures from long ago.) Apparently that was a disaster. "In about thirty minutes, the controllers looked tragic." But that didn't discourage them from making prototypes for all consoles and testing repeatedly.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
It's completely compatible with the 3DS version. Save data can be shared.
It has all the 3DS's extra DL missions pre-installed.
It has online multiplay with other Wii U players, and local multiplay (one Wii U + max three 3DS).

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Japanese retailers began taking preorders today.
Total wipeout.
Gone in hours, if not sooner.

Considering that N64, GC, and Wii were all available for preordering up to launch, Wii U's going to rocket out of the gate, and, with other major titles in the pipeline ready to go, I think there's enough to keep the drive alive.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I didn't think Wii U'd resonate so strongly with the general public especially after the rather lackluster E3 presentation.
But the buzz does appear to be hitting hysteria levels. It's not just the MH bundle, all models sold out instantly. Even now I get errors trying to access Amazon JP.
Boy am I glad I preordered the NA model now, even though I will have to get the JP model eventually.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I don't doubt that there'll be a shortage of hardware--WU's release is virtually simultaneous worldwide.
Still, if Bob's anecdote and the screeching on 2ch's anything to go by, there appears to be a heck of a lot of hysteria brewing up.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Bobnumerotres posted:

The new Tekken trailer pretty much does nothing but show off the new ridiculous costumes. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/z0i37r/tekken-tag-tournament-2-nycc-12--wii-u-trailer

SOLD.
Tekken WU just became a day 1 purchase.
It will more than hold the fort until BanNam delivers the real Smash Bros.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What are you talking about? Did you play the ps3 version of it? It looked fantastic.

I think he means that FFXIII was in HD, but it was dogshit.
And I agree.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
If the brand name Hori appears on it, I'm canceling my WiiU ProCon right the gently caress now.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Monster Hunter 3G HD will have online multiplayer, and it will be free in Japan.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Yeah, with a launch lineup that extensive, I'd think it's inevitable that there will be deep discounting even as soon as boxing day (Dec. 26) in Canada for slow movers.
I'm betting on stuff like Tank! Tank! Tank! to get cheap quickly.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
It depends on the market.
In Canada, most things appear to be priced at 59.99 with rare exceptions like Avengers and Tank x 3 at 49.99.
Even at 49.99, I'd think Tank x 3 is way over-priced, but I suppose I should wait for the reviews to see if it is as skimpy as it appears.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Managed to preorder a MH3GHD + Premium bundle on Amazon Japan, so I canceled my NA unit, even though I will now have to endure three+ weeks until I get the JP unit in my mitts. I'd much rather spend the money on games, though.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Like Japanese gamers are going to give a rat's rear end.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Japan's pre-ordering situation is murky.
For the past week, Amazon Japan's been taking pre-orders again in sporadic bursts lasting at least several hours for the MH Pack, and to a lesser extent, Premium and Basic. Although they come and go fairly quickly, it was relatively easy to check Amazon multiple times a day and find them available.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

greatn posted:

From that video, hard to tell but is it saying for external usb powered portable hard drives I'll need a Y-cable? I'm not really familiar with external hard drives, I bought my first one a month ago and haven't even opened it. Is it likely going to come with such a cable or is that something that can be picked up in any Office Depot?

HDDs that draw power from USB rated higher than USB 2.0 draw too much power, that's why it needs a Y-cable going to Wii U's two USB 2.0 ports.

Powered HDDs that draw power from a wall socket, generator, etc., need only one Wii U USB connection.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 14, 2012

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
SCE president Shu Yoshida bought one, went on Miiverse and posted this.
(This is no joke, he tweeted it.)

Hilariously, the mods made his profile comment unviewable.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Re: Japan's "weak" launch.
They've sold out all the units they had available for launch, and resellers are getting around a 20% premium on the MSRP.
It's a little early to be getting all doom and gloom.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
It would also really help if people'd identify where they're talking about when it comes to availability/not of hardware.

In Vancouver, Canada, there's none to be had in the shops, but Craigslisters are only asking for around $50 premium on top of the MSRP.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
My JP unit finally arrived a couple days ago.
I immediately applied Nintendo's official screen protector (comes with cleaning cloth and a light blue & white DSiXL pen stylus). It uses a new patented process with "handles" on the top layer for perfect positioning.
It went on easier than the beloved Hori with positioning tabs.
On the minus side, Hori's pushing a new screen protector that eliminates trapped air gradually. Nintendo's screen protector doesn't have this feature.
The protector's also a smidgeon smaller than the screen all around (but so does Hori's).

Right away, I was rewarded for applying the protector when my wife and eldest daughter smudged the pristine screen with their dirty fingers. Even with the protector on, I still had to stifle homicidal urges.

I can't use TVii because the system only allows me to choose my present location as to being within Japan.

I need to test the karaoke thing to see if it will work overseas.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
While the Youtube app is total crap, I love how the slick browser handles Youtube.
It automatically resizes the video to fill the TV screen with no borders or overflow, and it frees the pad so one can search for other videos while the original is still playing. This is how it should be.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I loved Pikmin 1 for its time constraints.
It made it a matter of survival.

By doing away with that in Pikmin 2, I didn't feel compelled to keep playing as junk forager.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo press release:
To ensure that Wii U users get the most out of their GamePad controller, Nintendo will be offering a Wii U GamePad Accessory Set to help owners protect their screens. The set will be available at stores on Feb. 4 for a suggested retail price of $12.99 and includes a Wii U GamePad screen protector that fits over the screen to protect it from scratches and dirt, an extra-large stylus for comfortable touch-screen game play and a cleaning cloth.

The set's been available since launch in Japan.
The screen protector is really easy to apply (even easier than Hori's tape tab system). It comes with a semi-rigid backing that makes it a breeze to position. It's on the small side, so it does leave a wee gap around the edges. It's also not air permeable, so it won't make trapped bubbles go away like some of the new Hori protector and other brands.

The stylus is exactly the same as the one that came with DSi XL, except it's in WU blue and white.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Smash Bros. screen shots coming E3.
A new 3D WU Mario and Mario Kart to be shown playable at E3.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Persona vs Fire Emblem!

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
loving Zelda!

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
WU Windwaker!

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Monolith! gently caress yeah, I have goosebumps.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Even at 30 yen, I can't stand the thought of seeing 8-bit Balloon Fight in the second decade of the 21st century period.
I don't want to see its icon sitting on my WU menu like some neglected puppy. It would bother me in exactly the same way some folks freak over a dead pixel on their 52-inch TV even if its at some harmless corner.

I'll pick up Super Metroid and Mother 2, though.

Also, did EU/NA watch the same Nintendo Direct with subtitles? If so, it makes me wonder why'd they'd torture foreigners with Mother 2 news. If not, never mind.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
The trickle of software made me look at Nintendo's Japanese software lineups in launch periods of past consoles.

SFC: Launched 21/11/90 with two games: SM World and F-Zero. Only nine games were released in 1990, and only three from Nintendo (Pilot Wings was the third).
In 1991, 47 games were released, but it took past half a year to top twenty titles. NCL released only two titles this year, one being Sim City (28/4), and Zelda a whole year after the system's launch.

N64: Launched 23/6/96 with three games: Mario, Pilot Wings, and Shogi (JP chess). It took three months for the next game: Wave Race. In the launch year, only ten games were released, four from NCL incl. Mario Kart 64. From December onwards there were no releases at all until March 97 when five games released including Blast Corps.

GC: Launched 14/9/2001 with three games: Wave Race Blue Storm, Luigi Mansion, and Super Monkey Ball.
Pikmin (26/10), Smash Bros. DX (21/11), and Animal Crossing+ (14/12) followed during 2001 which saw a total of ten titles released. Even with this attractive 1st party lineup, GC failed to really gain traction, though.

Wii: Launched 2/12/2006 with an extensive launch lineup of 16 games including four from NCL: Wii Sports (not bundled in JP), Made in Wario, Zelda TP, and that beginner Wii thing with controller. In just the first month, 21 games were released followed by another 101 in 2007, 33 in the first half alone, six from NCL (Excite Truck, Fire Emblem, Eye Shield 21, Super Paper Mario, Wii Brain Academy, Donkey Kong Barrel Jet Race).

So, other than Wii, Nintendo's consoles pretty much launched with skimpy offerings in Japan.
Having lived through all that, I've learned to be patient with NCL's way of doing things.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Neo Rasa posted:

Is "poo poo" just not a particularly bad word in Japan?

Sure it is. The language he uses in Japanese is as raw and dismissive as he is in English.

I find his candor refreshing and wish more people would be willing to shut down morons rather than being diplomatic and enabling them.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
He's tweeted that he's sick of answering the same damned question over and over.
I can just imagine what it must be like when game fans get hold of a "brilliant idea" and won't take a simple "no" for an answer.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Japan: Wii Fit U, Oct. 31

Art Academy Sketch, to be launched immediately after this Nin Direct!!!!!
For uploading to Miiverse.
Not the full version (that's coming later, "Please wait.")

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I know these GBA games don't have save states, but don't they have the same level of functionality (including non-suspendability) as the cart originals? That's plenty good enough by me.

I love the lineup of Ambassador GBA titles, and I'm willing to shell out for more.
The NES Ambassador games are pretty much meaningless to me (how many bloody copies of SMB must I own), but I was impressed with how NES SMB3 has held up after all this time.

Anyways, yeah, I don't expect to see more GBA VC on 3DS anytime soon, what with the turbo boost it got from MH4 in Japan (298,000 3DS hardware sold in the first week alone), and with Pokemon XY imminent worldwide. But GBA titles on 3DS is a no-brainer--I'll take wagers on that eventuality.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I just bought Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for 25 bucks from Japan.

I'm curious as to why it gets no love at all here.
I'm no expert about fighting games, but this one seems to have all the bells and whistles including an opening roster of 60 characters with multiple costumes including Nintendo-themed outfits. Each one has a short post-game movie, too.
There's a bunch of modes including Tekken Ball (you rally with a beachball or something?) and a Mario-like Mushroom Mode in which mushrooms that increase size, weaken characters, etc., enter the fray.

I can't tell the frame rate, but it looks quite pretty and seems to control well.

So, why is it completely ignored? Should I have ignored it, too?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
My JP launch edition WU's browser now routinely freezes on Youtube. (The Youtube app is a piece of poo poo.)
It worked perfectly before, but it's gone to poo poo the past week or so.
I wrote Nintendo support, and they replied, "You're not the only one complaining. We hope to fix that in an update. Please be patient."

Hopefully this upcoming update will be the one to fix this.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
I thought it was Namco, too.
But wasn't it Galaxian before I think a PS Ridge Racer? (Since Space Invaders = Taito)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Edoraz posted:

Ho ho~ loving why

So glad the 90s got a lot of stinker ideas out. :v:

Namco had one for PS1.

I still have mine. It was perfect for screaming around corners on Ridge Racer--it allowed for much tighter control than Sony's laughable d-pad.
The analog buttons and shoulders for the accelerator and brakes weren't too useful, though.

• Locked thread