Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Gamestop.com has some consoles in stock if anyone is looking for one. I picked up a deluxe version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

PaulD1980 posted:

I can't believe you guys are stiiilll arguing about the technological aspect of the WiiU. Honestly, if you bought a Nintendo product expecting it to be cutting edge technology, you're doing it wrong! It's not Nintendo's prerogative, never has been, never will be.

Sony and/or Microsoft will fill that need for me next year.

Seriously who gives a gently caress? In a year the 720/ps4 will be out and be 10 times better than the Wii U anyways.

flyboi posted:

I had contemplated going all-digital but after my experience with downloading a 6GB game taking 6 hours I'd rather not.
Has anyone tested if downloaded games load faster than disc games?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My game pad has a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. What are the chances Nintendo will give me a new one? I can't stop looking at it :(

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Den of Lies posted:

So has there been any news on when the US will get TVii? It still says December when you open the app, so I'm hoping that still holds true.

I'm going to say that 25th. Didn't a Wii channel come out its first Christmas?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

mdemone posted:

That's unfortunate. A no-glasses-3D screen on the GamePad would be some slick poo poo. That brings me to another question: does it seem likely that the Pad will eventually be upgraded in terms of PPI and/or other features like the 3D thing? Or is it stuck at 854x480 by necessity due to issues of signal speed and lag-time? For that matter, is the image received by the GamePad the original HD image from the WiiU or is it already compressed by the time it reaches the Pad?

It probably won't t change. Nintendo wasn't even sure they could do 2 gampads at once. There is either a processing power limitation or transfer rate limitation to the gamepad.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Since I don't have any non-internet way of getting television (I don't even pick up broadcast television here unless I want to put up a pretty large antenna), I was hoping that TVii might be nice to coordinate streaming services but the interface isn't geared around that at all. Oh well, I'll just keep using the streaming services the old fashioned way.
You probably don't need a giant antenna. I took an old coaxial cable, cut it to about 3-4 feet and exposed about an inch of the copper wire on the end and now I get a perfect signal.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I saw my first dick drawing in Nintendoland this weekend. It was poorly drawn and hairy which might be how it got through the moderation.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Ghost mansion with two players is as easy as the hunter sticking around the dead-ends and retreating to them whenever they sense the ghost is near.

With multiple people, just stick together and the hunters are unbeatable. The ghost's primary challenge is keeping everyone from meeting up, once they do it's pretty much over for the ghost.

If all the hunters are together use ghost magic and eat them all :getin:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I've got good use out of my Wii U so far. I've probably put in 20 hours into NSMBU, Nintendoland and ZombiU with another 25+ easily to finish them. I think NSMBU and NL are less appealing if you just play them by yourself though.

What's my best bet for buying a motion plus controller if I missed out on the Flingsmash deal?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I love NSMBU but I view it as a multi player game. The game is a blast playing with friends, constantly killing each other and then trying to work together.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just noticed that Capcom is offering a black Classic Controller Pro as a pre-order bonus for Monster Hunter 3U, in case anyone cares:

http://shop.capcom.com/store/capcomus/en_US/pd/ThemeID.1944700/productID.256030000

I thought Monster Hunter uses the game pad? Why would you want to use the controller when you can use the game pad to quickly access your inventory?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I feel like it would be hard to capture the true spirit of monster hunter in a demo. Remember the tutorial in the game is really the first 5-10 missions. I haven't played the demo yet but it probably doesn't introduce the hunter/gathering aspects of the game. Oh well, hopefully people will buy it because there is nothing else coming out and get hooked after playing through the beginning.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I can't wait to see the sales numbers Earthbound does.

"Millions of fans spend 10 years pleading for a re-release, only sells 10,000 copies. "

E: The strategy guide is awesome. I remember how dumb I was back when EB came out. The guide said to level up before the first boss until you unlock Rockin PSI. It took me a few hours of grinding before I realized that Rockin was the default for your favorite thing to do :downs:

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 18, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Nintendo just had to post that after we all bought Earthbound :argh:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Yeah the game definitely gets easier after you get Pauls and Jeff. It's worth it to spend a little time grinding in oneett and twoson. You don't even need to do it for that long either. Maybe 15 minutes or so. You also need to be cautious and heal early.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

The game I've been working on just came out yesterday on the eShop, here's the cheesy-rear end trailer Nintendo made for the launch:

Cloudberry Kingdom Launch Trailer

I was just watching the trailers on the eShop earlier today. The game looks hard as gently caress. I do like the concept but the trailer is probably going to scare away a lot of casuals. 90% of the trailer looks like it's impossible.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

With two Zelda games coming out in October/November, I assume so. I also assume that's when they're saving the Zelda VC releases for. I assume a lot of things.

I hope so. I've been really wanting to play Zelda 2 on the gamepad.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Does Nintendo sell a replacement stylus? All I've found are those stupid extender ones. My nephew lost mine and I'm guessing I need one to play the W101 demo?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Chekans 3 16 posted:

You also are going to have a terrible time playing W101 with a stylus. Stick to your finger for drawing, or just use the right thumbstick.

I gave the demo a shot last night since I don't need the stylus like I thought. I was looking forward to the game but I wasn't really sold on the demo. The combat system felt really basic and didn't seem to have any depth. Combat was basically summon the sword or fist and spam A while drawing shapes for a unite attack. I haven't really read the blog posts or watched the Nintendo Direct yet so maybe I'm missing something?

I had fun playing the demo but I feel like the combat would get boring after an hour or so. I'm going to give the game the benefit of the doubt, but I think I'm going to wait and see how the reviews go before buying it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Chip Cheezum posted:

I posted my video of the demo once before but take a look at it if you're interested in seeing what the combat has to offer. It's got a fair amount of depth to it. Platinum's demos are never entirely indicative of what the game is like because they don't have much as far as tutorials go and the fact that they are usually from a beginning area with the weakest enemy types in the game.

I think I was playing on normal but maybe I selected easy. I just watched your LP which made me feel better about the game.

Question on the Club Nintendo rewards. I want to get Link's Awakening DX, but I don't have a 3DS yet. I'll probably get one for Christmas. Does the download code last forever, or do I have a limited time to activate it?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Have they released the price of the Wii Fit U game + board + fit meter bundle yet? Not sure if I should wait for that or buy a board off eBay.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The Wii isn't that great for active games. At first Wii Sports tennis seems great for moving around and being "active" to play. After about a day you'll realize that you're twice as effective if you sit down and flick your wrist vs standing and swinging.

I'd probably look into a 360 with a Kinest. Kinect Adventures is really fun and you'll work up a sweat playing, but there aren't many other Kinect games besides a few exercise/yoga games.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Just wanted to say thanks to whoever said Gamestop has the Wii Balance Boards for $20 and that store.nintendo.com has the Wii Fit Meter for $20 in stock. This is probably the only time Gamestop was cheaper than eBay. I'm surprised they didn't jack up the price given the whole Xenoblade fiasco.

Do you guys use your Wii Fit Meter? I bought the game mostly for my fiance but I'll be using it as well. She uses a fitbit so I might try out the meter. I don't think I want to walk around with that on my belt though.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Did someone make a second wii fit gym? I joined lowtax low effort this morning but the creator was the only one in it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

The second half of the year for the Wii U has been pretty good. Pikmin, W101, Rayman Legends, Wii Fit U, Mario 3D and a few other 3rd party games. Early next year we have Donkey Kong and Mario Kart, but after that who knows.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

japtor posted:

I hope everyone is doing their part with horrible drawings for use as Wii Bowling banter:

Wait you can do that? That's probably better than voice chat with randoms. Maybe I should buy tennis and bowling.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I had a pretty good haul today. Picked up Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin and Rayman legends for $120

mcpringles fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 29, 2013

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Wrong thread sorry.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Nintendo has a pretty cool area set up in my mall right now. There are 6 or so TVs with Mario 3D, Wind Waker, WI Fit U and others. It's a great idea to try and spread the word out to parents shopping that Wii U is its own system with good games.

I happened to be at the mall and walked by it this morning. I was surprised by how many people were trying out games until I realized everyone there was a Nintendo employee. I'm sure it's packed in the afternoon though.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I'm not sure how I feel about the Zelda DW game. I've had fun playing a few of the titles but Zelda just doesn't seem like the best franchise to use.

The Gundam game was fun because you got to play as a bunch of different characters and fight people from different universes and replay main battles and storylines from the shows. I'm not quite sure how that will translate to the Zelda series that really only has a small group of characters that would be fun to play as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Tingle, Groose, Zelda, Sheik, Bird People, all of the Majora's Mask variations, Maybe Ganondorf, Whats-his-name from Skyward Sword... and then I don't know who or what else could be in the roster.

Omni Link as the last boss and secret unlockable character :getin:

• Locked thread