Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

In :canada: we have EB Games instead of Game Stop (though it's the same company) so what are my chances of pre-ordering a non-deluxe console after work tomorrow? Okay, good, or poo poo-out-of-luck? I wouldn't mind having the deluxe version but my wife likes the white one more and would rather save the money and put it towards another game. Also with EB/GS do you have to pay the full pre-order in advance or just a percentage?

I'm not even a huge Nintendo fan, I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original NES (I do have a DS Lite and DSi) but there's something about the Wii U that really appeals to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Just give them a call before you go.

I have to pick up a few groceries after work tomorrow and EB Games is about 30 seconds away from the store by car in the same direction so I probably will just stop in. Advantages of being in a small town. If it were out of the way I'd definitely call.

Policenaut posted:

I just pre-ordered mine today from EB Games and things might be good for you. I live just an hour or so north of Toronto and my local EB Games had a ton of open spots for Wii U regular. The cashier actually laughed and told me that they hadn't gotten a single regular pre-order because everyone was asking for the deluxe model! In any case, I had to put a $50 deposit down towards the console when I made my pre-order.

I'm rural Manitoba which means my EB Games will either have quite a bit left or they will be receiving 3 units between the two versions. :v:

$50 is fine. If I hadn't purchased over $800 in astronomy equipment on Friday I could have pre-ordered one then and there. I just didn't want to spend any more that day than I already did.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

My absolutely last post about pre-orders (even though I don't have many posts in this thread at all), I was able to pre-order a deluxe console on Monday night at my local EB Games.

According to the clerk I'm only the third person in my town to pre-order a Wii U. :stare:

So I really don't know if it's because I'm essentially "rural" (probably) or if it hasn't quite taken off yet in Canada. Could be market, maybe it's bigger in Ontario, Quebec and BC but I honestly can't say. In a way I'm disappointed but on the other hand I don't mind being 3rd in line.

Looking at the prices of cartridge games in this thread, consoles, etc, it's hard to believe how relatively inexpensive games and systems are these days. My best friend bought a PS1 right around launch and I'm pretty sure he paid about $500 here in Canada. I don't know if they were that much or if it was closer to $400 but it was a lot.

I still remember getting a NES with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt for $99 in 1988. Probably the single greatest gaming moment of my childhood.

God I feel old now. :(

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I've got a backwards compatibility question (Wii games) that I'm genuinely confused about. I can't find anything about this on Nintendo's site so maybe you guys can help me out.

I'm looking to get a few Wii games for the Wii U, including Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. I just don't know which controller I'll be able to use. Can I use the Wii U GamePad? Or do I have to get a Wii U remote and subsequently a Classic controller to plug into that to play Wii games such as those?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

thexerox123 posted:

I'm sure that would work, but they're also releasing a "Pro Controller" that I think is independent of the Wiimotes:

Take that with a grain of salt, though, I don't actually know for sure.

Edit: Actually, have they confirmed that the Classic Controller will plug into the Wii U gamepad? I know you'll still be able to use the original wiimote & various add-ons with the Wii U, at least... for original Wii games and virtual console and stuff mostly, I would imagine.

I think it was NeoGaf (I know, I know) saying the new Pro wouldn't work with Wii games but I really don't know if that's 100% true or not. Nintendo's contact page basically just redirects to their Wii U page because they're not taking tech questions about the U at this time.

It's not the end of the world if I have to buy more controllers but it'd be nice if I didn't have to.

Fake edit time:

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Wii games support all the standard Wii controllers - Wii Remote/Nunchuk, Classic Controller, MotionPlus, Balnace Board, etc - but will not support the Wii U Gamepad or Wii U Pro controller.

The Wii Classic Controller needs to be plugged into a Wiimote to work, so you'll need both if you don't have them already.

Ah poo poo. :(

Hey, knowing is half the battle or something, right? :unsmith:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Okay, now I'm getting a bit more excited. Pre-ordered/pre-paid ZombiU and NSMBU today (just because I want to walk in and walk out on the 18th) and bought a Wiimote and Wii Pro controller. Last couple of weeks I purchased Xenoblade Chronicles and The Last Story. Should be set for a little while at least.

Talking to the employee at EBGames today he said that our location is getting a whopping 5 units, which I think are all deluxe. I'm glad that I'm third in line.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

How large do you think the Day 1 update will be? Did the Wii have an average size? PS3 updates seem to be about 75MB +/- so I hope it's not too nuts.

I live in rural Canada so you can guess how awesome my internet is. :(

With regards to games I pre-ordered with the deluxe: NSMBU and ZombiU. If ZombiU ends up sucking I'll probably trade it in for something like Scribblenauts.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Waffleopolis posted:

It seems my Gamestop WON"T be doing a midnight launc hand have to wait until they open tomorrow at 11. :P

Seems most places, EB as well, are doing 11 or 10 am openings (11 here).

Not the end of the world, system and games are paid for and all I have to do is walk in and pick them up. :)

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

So for those of us whose internet is utter poo poo and have to go to a friend's place to update the system, I can still play games without the update first, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

Yes, as long as they're Wii U retail discs.

Small miracles and all that. :v: Now just need to wait for EB to open in an hour and a half.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

My gamestop is closed today. God drat it. Gotta wait until tomorrow and then I have work.

No loving way. Sorry to read that, I thought pretty much everything was open on Sunday, at least noon to five at a bare minimum.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Impressions time!

I love how the system is packaged in the box with two separate boxes that slide out. That's really cool. Everything is laid out well, maybe not like how Apple would do it but it's really nice.

Easy to set up all the cables.

Took me forever to figure out how to synch the controller with the system because I couldn't find the synch button. Then when I did it was recessed so I figured my unit was broken. Turns out you use the stylus to press it. :downs:

Menu (OS?) seems rather slow but it's simple to use and I love the audio and all the sounds.

First thing I tried doing with the system: play a Wii game. Went into Wii mode, did some set-up with that and a Wiimote, put in Xenoblade and prayed. It works! I thought that BC out of the box needed an update but I guess that's just for some online features? Anyways it kind of looks like rear end on my LCD TV so I'll try to gently caress with it later to get it to look a bit better, if possible, but I'm just satisfied that at least you can play Wii games right away if you want.

Didn't play much of Nintendo Land, just the Star Fox racing game, which kind of sucks. Or I suck at it, I dunno. Will give NL another shot later with my wife.

NSMBU. Holy poo poo this game looks nice. Maybe I'm just easy to please but this is a really good looking game.

ZombiU. Screamed like a little girl about two minutes into it. I'm going to be a wreck playing it. :ohdear:

All in all I'm really impressed. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original NES so maybe I'm not the best to judge their consoles but I think it's really cool.

Anyone try Scribblenauts yet? Is that any good or should I wait for a price drop?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

I got Scribblenauts for 49.99 at Best Buy (really it was 29.99 after I got them to match Toys R Us). I've just played it for a small while but it seemed like a lot of fun. I've always been interested in it but didn't have a platform to get it on.

Cool. My wife isn't into platforming games, she'll probably try ZombiU because she already plays games like Fallout 3 and the Elder Scrolls games and is used to that "style" of play. If we can play Scribblenauts two-player it would be an extra bonus because it's the kind of game that appeals to her.

Or maybe I can just be a nice husband and buy it for her this week anyway.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

edit: in response to the above, it's a pretty solid game. It definitely nails down the atmosphere and the tension. I can see why people are complaining, though - the combat isn't anything remarkable and it's pretty surprising that they didn't incorporate more melee weapons. That being said, the beauty of the combat is that it succeeds in making you feel more like one of the struggling survivors from The Walking Dead, and less like Duke Nukem.

I don't know why I bought this game because when it comes to survival horror I'm a massive pussy. I do like the atmosphere, though. Feels really oppressive at times. Even if there's nothing in my immediate area I sneak around as if my life depended on it (though I suppose it really does).

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Excuse me for asking once more:

1) Has anyone tested the backwards compatibility yet? The op isn't very clear, is the BC emulation or hardware? I'm assuming emulation because the OP states it needs an update to work.

I'm not sure what the update does because I haven't grabbed it yet (lovely internet service) but BC does work out of the box. I went into Wii Mode on the Wii U and inserted Xenoblade Chronicles. It works! So did The Last Story (the only other Wii game I own).

Sorry I can't add much more than that.

edit: if the update has to do with online features or transferring files over to the Wii U I can't say, hopefully someone else can.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Underwhelmed posted:

Yes you will eventually win the war of attrition, there will be one extra due to your shambling corpse, but there can only be one of those at a time. Just keep keepin on.

One tip: crawling zombis can be one-shot killed. Try and lead them to that crawl space, and smash them as they follow you through.

I think I died three or four times here. At least it's something that you eventually pass. I tried to do the crawl space thing but I got flanked. Then eaten.

I'm also the dumbest person playing this game. It wasn't until tonight that I realized you can use the right analog stick to move the scanner around when in scan mode. :downs:

Great game, the last time I was this on edge playing a game was Silent Hill. It's definitely a game I can only play for an hour or so at a time before my nerves start fraying.

Not ZombiU related: just want to say that the music in Nintendo Land is amazing. I mean, this whole game is amazing but the music is something else. Love the music when it speeds up in the Animal Crossing game. :3:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

I just saw the Wii file transfer animation, and it's the best thing. <3 u Nintendo.

Is wonderful the right word to describe that? :allears:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Downloaded the Rayman demo today, what a gorgeous looking game. I also couldn't stop grinning like an idiot during the Castle Rock section.

Miiverse is fun just because it allows me to do stupid drawings like "Olimar's coming!" :v:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Now, I don't know what Iwata is like away from the camera or his Iwata Asks interviews. Maybe he threatens to murder employees pets and rules everything with an iron fist. But he's the most :3: person in front of the camera.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

KimT posted:

Does anyone know how this was done? I've seen a few pictures like this and I don't see how it's possible

:stare:

I honestly could not say.

All my drawings are terrible. :downs:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

That was a great NFS video. Nice to see Criterion taking the Wii U seriously and I'll definitely be picking it up now. I love making stupid Miiverse drawings after loving up in Nintendo Land so this will be perfect for me. :v:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

No specific game. Nintendo decided there's room for communities not tied to a specific software title, and I think they're right.

I think they could probably stand to set up communities for some upcoming titles as well.

I just wish they had a general Nintendo community. I bought a bunch of Wii games these past few weeks and there's nowhere on Miiverse to talk about how awesome they are. :(

(I get that Miiverse should be for Wii U talk, but still)

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

EdibleBodyParts posted:

Controls don't seem sluggish. I have been playing for several hours and it controls great, with the exception of needing to turn my actual body all the way around when using the scanner to check something behind the main character. Just be ready for more pop culture references per second than Joss Whedon's shows. When you meet the police force, every single character is a cop show or movie reference.

Also, I heart Frank Honey.

I don't know if it's my controller but when I'm using the analog stick for steering it seems really hard to turn for some reason. Yet when I use the D-pad it's fine. :/

Humor in this game is great and Frank Honey is loving amazing. :downs:

When I bought my copy from EB Games today I got a Chase McCain mini-figure. Are all EB/Game Stops giving out Chase figures? Kind of a cool bonus.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Other than the previously mentioned long load times and lack of AA I'm really loving this game.

My favourite part so far is in the prison: An amazing Shawshank Redemption parody

I've seen horses in this game. I hope there's a chance to ride one. :allears:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Droid Washington posted:

After a few days of playing Lego City now, I have to say it is my favorite game for Wii U, and my favorite console game in years. It has so much exploration, so many things to do, and the story/plot is actually enjoyable. Everyone in my household is addicted and fights over who gets to play next.

Last night it took me 2 hours to get to my next mission objective because every time I hijacked a car, I would see something alongside the road almost immediately that grabbed my attention. The puzzles and platforming are really refreshing, as they're not easy but also not frustrating.

I hope they make more original Lego games like this and I hope the sales are strong enough for a sequel. This makes Lego Franchise games seem boring by comparison.

I played for about 4 hours straight today until I drained the game pad battery. I'll start a mission, then gently caress off doing something else that's equally fun in the game world.

The platforming isn't difficult but I've found myself having to start from the beginning of a long chase if I mess up. It's not a big deal because so far I haven't run into bullshit "Suspect is getting away hurry up MISSION FAILED" messages like in GTA.

Of course now that I'm loving this game I want to buy some Lego City sets. Just wish I had more money for some of those. :sigh:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

farfromsleep posted:

The game isn't out here until next week, but I got the DLC for it already. It's literally Lego models of the vehicles the DLC gives you in the game with a download code on the numberplate. If you're gonna insist on DLC, that's a pretty loving cool way to go with it.

Oh that's cool. I looked up the set on Toys R Us, it's about $30 on sale here, will have to think about it. Might be a good gateway set. :v:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Benly posted:

So in Lego City Undercover, is the "Costumes" red brick an "unlock all costumes" cheat or "unlock extra costumes that you can't get otherwise"? I enjoy hunting for costumes, so I'd rather not accidentally cheat them all in.

If I'm not mistaken I think it dresses the NPC's in the game world in weird outfits: gorilla, monster, clowns, etc. If that's your thing, go for it. :)

Personally I'm dressed as Honey for law enforcement and my civilian is edited to look like Iwata.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There don't seem to be any physical roadblocks in the world but you can't really do much outside of break things and run around without unlocking abilities in the story mode. I've been sticking to the story myself, unlocking abilities and travel options and then I plan on exploring once I can do everything.

I think there are a few islands and other parts of the city you can't get to that early but yeah, best to wait until you get at least a few outfits.

I don't know if this happens all the time but I saw a spider chasing around a rabbit today. Wherever the rabbit ran to, the spider was right behind. Freaked me out. :stare:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

I died during the intro level of Super Metroid. :negative:

(I've never played Super Metroid before but still)

I am so, so bad at some of these 30 cent games but chances are I wouldn't have tried them otherwise.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Spiffster posted:

So I got a 20 dollar Nintendo card for the wii u and can't figure out what to get with it. I already got little Inferno, Super Metroid, Kirby, and nano assault so anything left worth snatching up?

Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to buy another eShop card. :argh: at me!

Might not be your thing but if you like pinball you can try out different tables for Zen Pinball 2. Only thing that sucks is that the demos aren't very long, guess it's just to give you an idea of what they're like. Just bought the Captain America table today for $2.99 because I love Cap and it's actually a pretty cool table. Plus you can play on the game pad instead of the TV if you like. :iia:

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

What time is today's Nintendo Direct going to be?

I think it's tomorrow morning at 7 am PST.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

If it hadn't been for Bethesda releasing a patch for Skyrim (PS3) that actually worked I'd be playing Wii U more than I am. But now that I've bought a few VC games and such I'm playing it more than I have in the past few months. Also trying to get caught up on my Wii back catalog as well. Soooo many games. :sigh:

Sure I'd like to see more Nintendo exclusive Wii U games NOW but I know it's not happening at the moment and that's fine, I know they're coming. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what but I just can't get angry and worked up over it.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

TheRam posted:

Just chiming in to say that Lego City Undercover... I bought it because I just wanted to treat myself by expanding my Wii U library a bit, I wasn't that optimistic.

It is pretty drat great. Like, there is just so much right with it as a relaxed game. Mechanistically it's not a skillful game, but it's so drat pleasant.

Anyone who is the kind of person who buys a Wii U should definitely appreciate the charm of this game.

It's obvious that a lot of love and effort was put into this game. There's hardly any wasted space, there's almost something to unlock or do all over the map.

Plus it's fun to shoot people with paint guns and chicken eggs.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

njsykora posted:

Game and Wario has a Crowdfarter page now. Or alternatively, someone at Nintendo is taking a giant swing at Kickstarter.

That is both childish and incredibly awesome at the same time.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Xavier434 posted:

This is correct assuming it is the same issue.

Power it on and leave it alone for a while. I would even be willing to wait a few hours if I were in your position because well..why not? Nothing to lose.

Yeah, toddler's first tablet and console doesn't have any games anyway, amirite? :smug:

In all seriousness good luck, AngryCaterpillar. Hope you get your system up and running again. Hopefully (HOPEFULLY) it will work. It's not the same thing but I had the system crash on me while trying to download some demo tables for Zen Pinball 2. Went back to the main menu and it turned itself off, gave me an error code, had to unplug it. When I plugged it back in and turned it on it was still downloading (didn't start over or anything) so maybe it will try doing the same, even if you can't see what's going on.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Fallom posted:

Haha what the hell? How did you interpret his post that way? Nothing to lose means he's not going to break it any more than it already is.

Man people are getting really touchy.

What? No, just some really stupid joke on my part about people saying there's no games or anything worthwhile to play on it anyway so what would it matter if one couldn't use it?

If I were serious I'd be one of the various posters in the OTHER thread.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

Part of me wants to just buy one of these or both now, so when I get my system in the next month or so I already have a couple of games. Do these two games go on sale often enough that I can wait?

editing this first sentence: I really couldn't say how often they go on sale, probably not very. NSMBU is $60 retail, regular price of Lego City is $50 which is kind of amazing actually.

Of the two I personally had more fun with Lego City just because I loving SUCK at NSMBU. Like, I-need-Luigi-to-show-me-what-to-do levels of suck. :negative:

Getting back to the sale price, Mario would be $20 savings so that might be more appealing.

edit #2: How old is Super Mario Galaxy 2? It still retails for $60.

Cherokee Jack fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 20, 2013

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Anyone else pretty happy with their purchase after watching the XBOXONE reveal?

Was JUST going to post this.

There was NOTHING in that conference to sell me on that system. I'm not rabid anti-MS or anything but I wanted to be sold on it. It's basically the BroBox.

Is Nintendo perfect? gently caress no, but I'm a lot more excited for Wonderful 101, new 3D Mario, Pikmin 3 as well as the new Monolith RPG. Not sure about the Shin Megami (?) (sorry -- I don't have a 3DS so I'm not familiar with this series) X Fire Emblem thing but I'm not familiar with those games. Maybe someone can sell me on it?

tl;dr Sticking with the Wii U, will probably also get a PS4.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Yesss, Kirby Super Star, Dream Land 3, and Dream Course. I was already gonna buy two of those anyways, so getting the third for nothing is awesome.

I've got the first two as part of Kirby's Dream Collection so I guess I'll just get Dream Course. Is that one any good or just skip it?

Also, is Super Ghouls N Ghosts really hard? I'd like to try it out but at $7.99 I'm not quite sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

All games in the mainline Ghosts 'n Goblins series are pretty hard, compared to any other game you might be familiar with. They were originally punishingly hard arcade games made to take your quarters, so expect to die a lot. In GnG games, you get two hits and are done, with armor power-ups being rather scarce, and jumping is dedicated. If you jump in a direction, you'd better hope that's where you wanted to go because you don't have any air control at all. In Super GnG, you can only fire weapons left or right (the previous game let you shoot up and, if you're in mid-air, down) but you have a double-jump which can be used to change your jump direction once.

I'd say go for it, it's a really fun game, but keep in mind I say the same about any difficult game that requires a combination of skill, rote memorization, and luck, such as Battletoads, NES Castlevania games, NES Ninja Gaiden games, and every GnG game ever made.

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I had the Genesis version and it was pretty fun (difficult but I think the SNES version was even harder, though I could be wrong) but I also was younger and was more tolerant of difficulty and had better reflexes. I'll seriously think about it though, thanks.

greatn posted:

I always play through the first few worlds of Dream Course then quit, but I find myself buying it enthusiastically every time it's released, and playing the hell out of the levels I'm good at. It's a really fun unique twist on mini golf.

It's probably something my wife would really enjoy (me too, probably). She really loves the Kirby games so it'd be a nice pre-birthday gift before I get her a 3DS XL.

• Locked thread