Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Brooks first trial has been set for September 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Brooks first trial has been set for September 2013.

Why the wait? Is this normal procedure?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's a series of complex and interconnected cases, so there's a lot of work that needs to be done. All the cases will be heard in September 2013. Plenty of time for more poo poo to hit the fan.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Filboid Studge posted:

Why aren't we reading or hearing about the burglary aspect? Private injunction? D-Notice?

Enlightened self-interest and journalistic laziness. Until there's a nice easy "victim good newspaper bad" hook to hang the story on and beat Murdoch over the head with, like Milly Dowler for the hacking, you won't see it get big traction anywhere. It is also an ongoing police investigation and journalists are always wary of reporting them unless something really juicy comes up.

Editors are also (no doubt with an eye on the traditional Fleet Street omerta and worrying about touching Caesar without killing him) beginning to claim that people are bored with the story and it isn't worth reporting on. There might even be something to this - a lot of people I talk to, when I mention the burglary story, just tut and say "Typical, still it doesn't really matter does it?". People are already sliding it into their just-world viewpoints and mortaring it in with a skim of faux-sophistication.

Again, a properly juicy hook (and a politician won't and can't be that hook, no matter how egregious the offence against them, because politicians are just that despised) is needed to overcome this sort of outrage inertia people have. Oh they can turn into screaming brownshirts at the hint that someone might be getting a few quid more benefits than they deserve, but massive political corruption is too big for most people to handle. They need a victim to empathise with. Look at the current situation - the Tories are busily looting the public wealth to enrich themselves and their chums, Jeremy loving Hunt is now in charge of the NHS, and the only negative news story is about Andrew Mitchell swearing at a copper.

And yes, this does mean that if Watergate had happened in 2012 rather than 1972 it would have just been a tiny footnote in the history of Nixon's 8-year reign.

(A superinjunction would get massive coverage almost immediately, people are starting to come to the realisation that they are a very silly idea in the age of the internet, and D-Notices are issued by the Government only in relation to matters of national security and are not binding - if a Notice was issued it would very quickly become a very big story indeed.)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson trial date set for September 2013

Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson have been told at the Old Bailey that they are not due face a full trial until a year from now, in a hearing that saw the former News of the World editors appear in the dock of the central criminal court.

The woman who was most recently chief executive of News International and the man who acted as David Cameron's director of communications at No 10 were given a proposed trial date of 9 September 2013 by Mr Justice Fulford who is presiding over two batches of charges against them and 12 others.

The two former editors, and the remaining defendants, spoke only to confirm their names at the beginning of the hearing in a crowded dock in court number one. All 14 were bailed at the end of the hearing.

Brooks sat impassively on her own at the back of the dock during an hour-long hearing that gave directions for the management of the two cases involving the 14 defendants.

A composed Coulson sat in the front row flanked by three of his co-defendants, all former colleagues at the News of the World. Former former assistant editor (news) Ian Edmondson sat on his right and while former assistant news editor James Weatherup and former chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck were on his left.

Coulson, Brooks and six others have been charged with conspiring to hack phones.

Brooks is also charged with three counts of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. Six others face one count of conspiring to pervert the course of justice, including her husband Charlie, her former personal assistant Cheryl Carter and her former chauffeur Paul Edwards. All have been accused of agreeing to conceal evidence from detectives investigating phone hacking in July last year.

The phone-hacking related charges following an investigation made by officers working as part of the Metropolitan police's Operating Weeting.

Apart from Coulson and Brooks, the others facing phone-hacking-related charges are Edmondson, Weatherup, Thurlbeck, former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw and a private investigator, Glenn Mulcaire.

Kuttner faces three charges, while Miskiw faces 10 charges. Edmondson faces 12 charges, Thurlbeck eight and Weatherup eight. Mulcaire is charged with allegedly hacking the voicemails of four people: Milly Dowler, Gilchrist, Smith and Clarke.

Carter sat behind Coulson in the second row along with Sandell and Miskiw, while the third row was occupied by Brooks's husband Charlie, a racehorse trainer, and Mark Hanna, the head of security at News International.

Hanna, former security guard Daryl Jorsling and Lee Sandell, who worked for a company used by News International for security, also face the same charges of trying to conceal evidence from detectives in July 2012 at the height of the phone-hacking scandal.

After an hour of legal discussion, Fulford ordered a further hearing for 12 and 13 December before a possible full trial in September next year.

Some very relevant reaction:
iTraceUK

quote:

I would estimate the chances of AC and RB coming to trial next year as next to zero more like Sept 2014
There are many as yet unreported complexities to these cases - In the final analysis both will plead guilty at the steps with bags

gritts1

quote:

Surely the likes of Cameron r not happy with the yr delay as it keeps Murdoch links in the spotlight 4 ages?

iTraceUK

quote:

This circus is not completely in his control - The only chance they had was to hide Millipede - They failed
AC is hosed well and truly hosed - RB is dangling but Kutner could and I would expect will extract a price.

quote:

Operation Millipede
A 2008 Serious Organised Crime Agency led investigation into the practice of blagging which resulted in the prosecution and jailing of Daniel Summers, Philip Campbell Smith, Graham Freeman, and Adam John Spears.

Philip Campbell Smith was later investigated by Operation Kalmyk, part of Operation Tuleta, into accusations that he hacked the computer of the former army intelligence officer Ian Hurst aka Martin Ingram, who was involved with the alleged spy Stakeknife. Philip Campbell Smith was accused of hacking the computer in an attempt to get information on the alleged spy for the News of the World.

And who did Smith work for? Why, Southern Investigations!

This poo poo is more tangled that you could imagine.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
One thing to bare in mind is that this means that revelations regarding Andy Coulson will be coming out much closer to the general election than Cameron would like. He could end up being a prickly thorn in his side.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Automatic Slim posted:

As long as Aisles is in charge and given autonomy, that won't happen. But, Aisles is apparently retiring soon, irc...

It terrifies me who they could find worse than the man who produced the infamous Willie Horton ad. Karl Rove comes to mind.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Enlightened self-interest and journalistic laziness. Until there's a nice easy "victim good newspaper bad" hook to hang the story on and beat Murdoch over the head with, like Milly Dowler for the hacking, you won't see it get big traction anywhere. It is also an ongoing police investigation and journalists are always wary of reporting them unless something really juicy comes up.

Editors are also (no doubt with an eye on the traditional Fleet Street omerta and worrying about touching Caesar without killing him) beginning to claim that people are bored with the story and it isn't worth reporting on. There might even be something to this - a lot of people I talk to, when I mention the burglary story, just tut and say "Typical, still it doesn't really matter does it?". People are already sliding it into their just-world viewpoints and mortaring it in with a skim of faux-sophistication.

Again, a properly juicy hook (and a politician won't and can't be that hook, no matter how egregious the offence against them, because politicians are just that despised) is needed to overcome this sort of outrage inertia people have. Oh they can turn into screaming brownshirts at the hint that someone might be getting a few quid more benefits than they deserve, but massive political corruption is too big for most people to handle. They need a victim to empathise with. Look at the current situation - the Tories are busily looting the public wealth to enrich themselves and their chums, Jeremy loving Hunt is now in charge of the NHS, and the only negative news story is about Andrew Mitchell swearing at a copper.

And yes, this does mean that if Watergate had happened in 2012 rather than 1972 it would have just been a tiny footnote in the history of Nixon's 8-year reign.

(A superinjunction would get massive coverage almost immediately, people are starting to come to the realisation that they are a very silly idea in the age of the internet, and D-Notices are issued by the Government only in relation to matters of national security and are not binding - if a Notice was issued it would very quickly become a very big story indeed.)

Well, if I were an editor of a paper fishing for an angle on this. There was a big juicy hook going with Sheila Coleman (Head of the "Justice For The 96" campaign) getting hacked and burgled. She even specifically remembered that nothing of value was stolen except her files on Hillsborough which were found in a field nearby. That could of struck hard, especially with Hillsborough fresh in the mind. I would worry about the lack of proof though as she's going to court over the hacking claims, and the burglaries are a developing case. But if I were editing and wanted that hook to grab the public on, that would be the angle, in that News International were hacking and even possibly authorized a burglary on the woman who was trying to expose their reports as lies. Instant public sympathy and a hook people can get outraged on.

Of course, the burglary would be harder to prove as its developing so you could probably mention it tangentially as an allegation, but they could have run the hacked angle and it makes NI even larger shits. But there you have a hook the public can get involved on and it's relevant to a recent big social issue.

But of course, you remember who's in charge and who's arses they only want to save here and then you remember why they won't run something like this.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Hillsborough would be an extremely tough sell imo because while it was a massive and deplorable cover-up, to the people who don't like football they will still believe that all football fans are violent hooligans and to fans of other football teams there is still a pervasive feeling that Liverpool has a massive victim complex.

You will notice that while the football subforum on this site is pretty much universally in agreement that the cover-up was a terrible thing and people need to answer for the things they did, if you go to somewhere like say Red Cafe or a Leeds fan site you will see people still believing it was unticketed scousers stomping on children and looting corpses.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I don't know. The second post on Red Cafe is this
http://www.redcafe.net/f7/e-petition-release-govt-hillsborough-files-337931/

Maybe two posters on the first page not 100% behind the Hillsborough victims families but overwhelmingly posters are.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, seems plausible. I do not think it would be the first D-notice obtained by the Met for dodgy reasons, mind. I'm also unconvinced that we're at a point where injunctions are self-defeating.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Byolante posted:

Hillsborough would be an extremely tough sell imo because while it was a massive and deplorable cover-up, to the people who don't like football they will still believe that all football fans are violent hooligans and to fans of other football teams there is still a pervasive feeling that Liverpool has a massive victim complex.

Very true. You don't turn around 23 years of a particular national media and cultural ideology - that Scousers are thieves and whingers clinging to the past - in a matter of days.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tee-hee, a funny video.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Very true. You don't turn around 23 years of a particular national media and cultural ideology - that Scousers are thieves and whingers clinging to the past - in a matter of days.

There was that window post report where there was a national outpouring of sympathy and horror at the police cover-up. I'm not saying its the perfect angle, and as you mentioned, you are battling years of cultural sterotyping, but if you wanted to run a story with a hook to get people interested in the hacking scandal again. It's one of the better ones as "Newspaper continued vendetta against campaigner through hacking and burglary" is an eye catcher and grabs people emotionally. Then you just ride the wave of revulsion to its conclusion.

Also it's unbelievable how cold and logical you get just thinking about this stuff from an editorial perspective. Even when you trained in it. :negative:

In somewhat lighter news, Kelvin MacKenzie's lawyers wrote to the South Yorkshire police demanding an apology for misleading him

The police, have already responded with the polite version of Arkell Vs Pressdram, 1971

BBC posted:

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said the force "awaits Mr MacKenzie's letter with interest".

"It is well known that many media outlets ran similar stories at the time based on the same sources but chose to treat them differently," he said.

"Mr MacKenzie was responsible for the particular headline he chose to run with."

Kelvin McKenzie, a man who believes the way to get out of the hole he's dug is "Dig up, stupid"

Sex Vicar fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 27, 2012

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM

Sex Vicar posted:

There was that window post report where there was a national outpouring of sympathy and horror at the police cover-up. I'm not saying its the perfect angle, and as you mentioned, you are battling years of cultural sterotyping, but if you wanted to run a story with a hook to get people interested in the hacking scandal again. It's one of the better ones as "Newspaper continued vendetta against campaigner through hacking and burglary" is an eye catcher and grabs people emotionally. Then you just ride the wave of revulsion to its conclusion.

Also it's unbelievable how cold and logical you get just thinking about this stuff from an editorial perspective. Even when you trained in it. :negative:

In somewhat lighter news, Kelvin MacKenzie's lawyers wrote to the South Yorkshire police demanding an apology for misleading him

The police, have already responded with the polite version of Arkell Vs Pressdram, 1971

Kelvin McKenzie, a man who believes the way to get out of the hole he's dug is "Dig up, stupid"

Particularly as he later said, without being strongarmed by South Yorks police, that he only said sorry because Murdoch made him and that actually he wasn't sorry and that he stood by the headline and report.

In 2006:

quote:

All I did wrong there was tell the truth. There was a surge of Liverpool fans who had been drinking and that is what caused the disaster. The only thing different we did was put it under the headline "The Truth". I went on The World at One the next day and apologised. I only did that because Rupert Murdoch told me to. I wasn't sorry then and I'm not sorry now because we told the truth.
A year later:

quote:

On 11 January 2007 MacKenzie appeared on BBC TV's Question Time programme, held in Kent. Towards the end of the program, MacKenzie was asked by presenter David Dimbleby about The Sun's claims about the Hillsborough disaster. MacKenzie stated that he stands by his allegation that ticketless fans were the cause of the disaster but that he does not know whether the other allegations about theft from the dead and fans urinating over victims and policemen were true.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
During Question Time tonight, Steve Coogan said that he had a private meeting with Nick Clegg earlier this week where Nick said he would be endorsing the recommendations of Lord Leveson.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

DaWolfey posted:

During Question Time tonight, Steve Coogan said that he had a private meeting with Nick Clegg earlier this week where Nick said he would be endorsing the recommendations of Lord Leveson.

So Leveson's recommendations are doomed then?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

quote:

News International denies allegation regarding phone hacking and stories

An allegation that all major stories in the News of the World over a two-year period were a result of phone hacking was strongly challenged by News International at a high court hearing.

During a case management conference at the high court in London on Thursday, Hugh Tomlinson QC, counsel for more than 170 individuals seeking damages for alleged phone hacking, said an internal News International communication suggested this was the case.

Tomlinson said that it was because of significant information like this that the court should order further disclosures from the company in relation to alleged interception of voicemails of public figures, celebrities, sports stars and victims of crime.

He added: "If we have a document, as we do, in the bundle where an individual writing to another individual [says] 'everyone knows that all significant stories over a two-year period were obtained by phone hacking', that does matter."

Tomlinson did not specify who the individuals were or where they worked, but was speaking in the context of disclosure of internal emails from News International.

News International's counsel, Dinah Rose QC, made a strong objection to Tomlinson's comment, telling the high court that the document was not contemporaneous and that it did not say what he claimed it did.

Rose warned that Tomlinson "really does need to be more careful" about what he said in open court with representatives of the media present. "He knows that the document does not say that," she said.

Mr Justice Vos, who is presiding over the civil litigation process, said the claim made about the document "did raise my eyebrows".

Tomlinson was arguing for more disclosure of documents and emails from News International to progress the claimants' cases against the company.

He said the litigants were almost solely relying on information provided by the Metropolitan police, which has been disclosing notes made by the private investigator used by the News of the World to hack phones.

Tomlinson added that this information was limited to a few pages of notes and a bit of call data, with virtually no information from News Group Newspapers, the News International subsidiary that published the now closed News of the World.

"In terms of News Group disclosures between 2001 and 2005 we have a total disclosure of 12 emails," he said.

Rose again objected to the suggestion that the publisher was withholding emails, saying in the early 2000s, when the News of the World phone-hacking took place, email inboxes had less capacity and emails were not kept as a matter of routine.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

My regular contributor has put together this piece which gives you a good idea of how many Labour politicians were targeted by News Corp, and the offices they held
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/news-corp-diplomatic-immunity.html

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

My regular contributor has put together this piece which gives you a good idea of how many Labour politicians were targeted by News Corp, and the offices they held
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/news-corp-diplomatic-immunity.html

The range of political office holders is remarkable, and includes THREE Prime Ministers.
Which three?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Asked the author, Brown + 2 scots first ministers, I'll update it for clarity.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So what's the possible endgame here? There's no way they're not going to get away with this.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Warcabbit posted:

So what's the possible endgame here? There's no way they're not going to get away with this.

You mean "there's no way they're going to get away with this" right?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
... no, pretty sure I said it right the first time.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
David Allen Green just gave you a massive thumbs up BM!

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That's pretty awesome. Congrats, BM!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Hopefully someone from the BBC journalism training scheme notices, and it did get me 150 new followers on Twitter, which always helps.

[edit] Including Will Smith, actor and writer on The Thick of It, weird.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 30, 2012

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Hopefully someone from the BBC journalism training scheme notices, and it did get me 150 new followers on Twitter, which always helps.

[edit] Including Will Smith, actor and writer on The Thick of It, weird.

I've got a bunch on my inactive account just because I have been following you. Popular by proxy, woo!

Though I got word from the Beeb that I didn't qualify for the scheme even though I didn't take any broadcast modules on my degree as it still counts as a broadcast degree. Technicalities :negative:

I may have an in on BBC NI though. Gotta make a few phone calls during the week.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Sex Vicar posted:

I've got a bunch on my inactive account just because I have been following you. Popular by proxy, woo!

Though I got word from the Beeb that I didn't qualify for the scheme even though I didn't take any broadcast modules on my degree as it still counts as a broadcast degree. Technicalities :negative:

I may have an in on BBC NI though. Gotta make a few phone calls during the week.

I'm just finishing off my application, just got question 4 about the editorial considerations to do. For anyone interested the questions are:

quote:

1 - Why should we give you a place on the Journalism Trainee Scheme? What would you bring to the BBC? (max 100 words - please indicate your word count in brackets)

2 - Please tell us about your experience related to journalism (for example blogging, writing for newspapers). If you don’t have any specific journalistic experience is there anything else that might demonstrate your drive and potential? (maximum 300 words – please indicate your word count in brackets)

3 - The BBC makes programmes for every part of the UK population. How would insights from your background or life experience help us connect with an under-served audience? With this audience in mind please suggest an idea for a news story and explain how it would work on radio, TV and online? (maximum 300 words – please indicate your word count in brackets)

4 - Please watch the Six O'Clock News from Monday 30th July by clicking here Please review this programme and tell us what editorial issues you think it raised for the programme makers. (maximum 300 words – please indicate your word count in brackets)

Meanwhile my regular contributor has written a piece that makes me feel a bit awkward as Neil Wallis follows me on Twitter, John Yates And Neil Wallis - A Mutual Understanding.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

One of the dodgy coppers was up in court today

quote:

Counter-terrorism officer appears in court over 'leaks to News of the World'

Detective chief inspector April Casburn, who works in specialist operations at the Metropolitan police, is accused of contacting the now-defunct tabloid newspaper on 11 September, 2010.

It is said she "wilfully misconducted herself to such a degree as to amount to an abuse of the public's trust in that office".

Wearing a black dress and pink jacket, DCI Casburn, 53, of Chelmsford, spoke only to confirm her name, address and date of birth as she appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court in Marylebone.

District Judge Quentin Purdy said the matter was too serious to be dealt with the lower courts and told DCI Casburn she would appear at the Old Bailey on November 2, where she is expected to enter a plea.

Casburn is the former head of the secretive National Terrorist Financial Investigation Unit which supports some of the most sensitive police inquiries.

She was released on unconditional bail.

Taking the decision to charge DCI Casburn, the Director of Public Prosecutions said it was "in the public interest" to pursue a conviction.

In a statement, the DPP said: "We have concluded, having carefully considered the file of evidence, that there is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and that it is in the public interest to charge DCI Casburn with misconduct in public office."

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Brown Moses posted:

I'm just finishing off my application, just got question 4 about the editorial considerations to do. For anyone interested the questions are:

Meanwhile my regular contributor has written a piece that makes me feel a bit awkward as Neil Wallis follows me on Twitter, John Yates And Neil Wallis - A Mutual Understanding.

Quick fix this typo; "They do have seem to have a lot in common, don't they...?"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Nation posted:

Quick fix this typo; "They do have seem to have a lot in common, don't they...?"

Thanks, correct.

News Corp continues to "clean up their act"

quote:

News Corp. Hires Five Leaders for Compliance Team in Wake of Phone Hacking Scandal

Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. has hired five executives to help lead its compliance efforts in the wake of the phone hacking scandal.

It has brought on board a top executive from the Securities and Exchange Commission and a former federal prosecutor and three others to lead new compliance teams at its publishing and entertainment units, a spokesman sad. Each will be in charge of a different geographical and functional group of the conglomerate.

The new hires will report to Gerson Zweifach, who News Corp. brought on board earlier this year as general counsel. He has since added the role as chief compliance officer, pushing ahead efforts to establish a team and procedures that can help avoid the problems that surfaced in the phone hacking scandal.

News Corp., which is planning to split its entertainment business from its publishing business, said this summer that it would organize its compliance program into five groups - the LA cable and broadcast group, the LA film and TV production operation, the Europe and Asia group, the Australia group and the New York news and information group. The five hires will each lead one of them.

Among the new hires is John McCoy, who has most recently served as associate regional director of the SEC's operation in Los Angeles. Also joining the conglomerate's compliance team is Brian Michael, an ex-prosecutor for the U.S. attorney's office in New York.

Murdoch told staff in an August memo that outlined his company's new ethics and compliance initiatives that News Corp has "made progress" on assurances he gave to the Leveson Inquiry into media ethics and standards "to redress wrong-doing, cooperate with law enforcement officials and strengthen our compliance and ethics program company-wide."

News Corp. has also recently highlighted comments from Scotland Yard deputy assistant commissioner Sue Akers, who is leading the U.K. police probe into phone hacking, that conceded the company culture has changed: "She agreed that the current senior management and corporate approach at News International has been to assist and come clean," it has said.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More on the Casburn appearance, it's alleged she tried to sell information to the NoW on the phone hacking investigationg in Sept 2010. They'll crucify her.

[edit] It should be noted the phone hacking investigations started in Jan 2011, and she was found in possesion of documents covered by the Official Secrets Act, so the implication if the allegations are true is she could have potentially undermined the entire phone hacking investigation by providing NotW with information on what they'd be investigated on, giving them plenty of time to hide evidence.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 1, 2012

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More on that

quote:

Counter-terrorism officer charged with breaching Official Secrets Act

A senior counter-terrorism detective has been charged with breaching the Official Secrets Act in relation to information allegedly sent to the News of the World about the Scotland Yard probe into phone hacking.

Detective chief inspector April Casburn, 53, is accused of offering to the now-closed Sunday tabloid information about Operation Varec, the investigation into whether the Metropolitan police inquiry into phone hacking should be reopened.

The Official Secrets Act charge could be revealed for the first time on Monday after a Westminster magistrates court judge lifted reporting restrictions following representation from several media groups. The Guardian, BBC and the Times challenged the order, which was made under Contempt of Court Act.

Casburn appeared before district judge Quentin Purdy at Westminster magistrates court to face charges of breaching the Official Secrets Act and of misconduct in public office.

She has also been charged with misconduct in public office after the Crown Prosecution Service examined a file sent to them by officers working on Scotland Yard's Operation Elveden investigating alleged inappropriate payments by journalists to police and other public servants.

Casburn spoke only to confirm her name, date of birth and address at the short hearing in central London.

She was released on unconditional bail until 2 November, when she will appear at the Old Bailey for a plea and case management hearing.

Casburn is the former head of the National Terrorist Financial Investigation Unit which supports some of the most sensitive police inquiries.

Funnily enough I wrote about the Andy Coulson linked Operation Varec months ago:
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/operation-varec-forgotten-andy-coulson.html

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 1, 2012

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I hope you took a page out of S. R. Sidarth's book and answered question 1 with: I am Brown Moses.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Looks like there's been two Tuleta arrests, no details yet, but I'd put money on it being Jonathan Rees of Southern Investigations and Alex Marunchak of the NotW.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Confirmed, it's Rees and Marunchak, party time!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Well, that was a long time coming. Any idea what they are going to try and stick them with yet?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brown Moses posted:

More on the Casburn appearance, it's alleged she tried to sell information to the NoW on the phone hacking investigationg in Sept 2010. They'll crucify her.

[edit] It should be noted the phone hacking investigations started in Jan 2011, and she was found in possesion of documents covered by the Official Secrets Act, so the implication if the allegations are true is she could have potentially undermined the entire phone hacking investigation by providing NotW with information on what they'd be investigated on, giving them plenty of time to hide evidence.

That's sickening. It beggars the minds to think of what evidence might have come to light against NotW if they'd been completely unaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Brown Moses posted:

Confirmed, it's Rees and Marunchak, party time!

Wow, that's crazy. They've been arrested before though right?

• Locked thread