Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Brown Moses posted:

It's possible David Cameron hired Andy Coulson after he was responsible for ordering burglaries that targeted members of the Labour party. If that's the case was Cameron, or other members of his government, aware of the News of the World's activities?

Oh god, considering Hunt has dragged before Leveson for his cosy relationship with NI, could he get dragged back into this again? Please, please say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I had to google Mike James. Assuming you aren't for some reason talking a NBA player, I read a few of his writings and he is quite clearly certifiable. If Talk Radio was a thing in this country, he'd be the guy at the start of Children Of The Corn on the radio, exhorting for "Amens" and the coming Holy War.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

On the one hand, smell that sweet, sweet scent of desperation and panic :smuggo:

on the other, savour it because I doubt we're going to get any kind of meaningful statutory regulation.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

God dammit you teases!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

In the run up to Leveson's report, there are a large number of articles cropping up, such as this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/leveson-inquiry/9685774/Trust-in-the-press-has-not-died.html

Its a bit long to quote but the gist is:

The Leveson Inquiry didn't teach us anything new

Nobody cares about press regulation (versus other issues)

Regulation is a hobby horse of the Left because it will "tame the Tory tabloids" but it will ultimately harm the Left more, since targets of the Left have more to hide behind with regulation.

Its been a while since I was anywhere near as informed on the Leveson/phone hacking/press reform storm as I was near the outset, how much of this article holds weight? I wasn't even aware polls had been taken.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Hugh Grants documentary about tabloids is on tonight on Channel 4 at 8pm. Be there or be square!

(also try googling it, you're bound to find the usual shitehawks bawwwing about impartiality, its even funnier when they try to use this as a means of squashing it when they themselves are crying about similar things being applied to them in future)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Hugh Grant Takes On The Tabloids is on Channel 4.

E: Holy loving balls I'd completely forgotten about that despicable turd McMullen and how he drove a vulnerable homeless girl to suicide. That poo poo stain should be in prison if there were any justice.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 28, 2012

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Chichevache posted:

As one of the uninformed I would love a link to an article about that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb9cnlbzhgk

About 00:46 is when McMullen starts speaking.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

It was great, I enjoyed watching the twitter feed. The bit with footage of Piers Morgan telling Charlotte Church how to hack phones was one of the best bits.

Also liked Free Speech Network not allowing the documentary camera into the meeting.

I actually kind of like the new trend of putting up a twitter hashtag so viewers can commentate live.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm disappointed Hunt and Cameron basically got a free ride, but I imagine Leveson was wary of anything that might politicise the report. If Hunt and Cameron get off scot free (all but certain) I'll be angry but if it comes with the press having a significantly improved regulator I'll be mollified.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

So to summarize: Cameron is saying "We'll give you another chance to do it without statutory regulation".

So yeah, see you all back here in another, what, 10 years?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

So has all this been for nothing then? 2 -odd years of drama and earth-shattering revelations and the final call is "Yeah. No."? How the gently caress can this be allowed to continue?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

It looks like Leveson's proposals have been accepted in almost their entirety by newspaper editors, with the (obvious) exception of the statutory parts, and the Hunt-Black proposals are dead. Seems now they are waiting to see if they can come up with something that isn't statutory to back up regulation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/dec/05/newspaper-editors-sign-up-leveson

quote:

National newspaper editors signed up to implement all Lord Justice Leveson's non-statutory recommendations at a breakfast summit in central London, with those present effectively agreeing to kill off the Hunt-Black plan as a template for reform.

The editor of every significant Fleet Street title signed up to 40 of Leveson's first 47 recommendations – paving the way for the creation of an independent regulator with powers to levy fines of up to £1m and operating a low-cost tribunal system to handle libel and privacy claims.

The editors did not sign up to seven recommendations that proposed a role for Ofcom or some other statutory body in auditing the work of the regulator, agreeing to wait to see what non-statutory proposals Downing Street would have to offer in the coming days.

There were bacon rolls and granola with yoghurt on the table at the meeting at a restaurant in central London. It was chaired by the editor of the Times, James Harding.

Those attending included Paul Dacre, the Daily Mail editor-in-chief, who was absent from Tuesday's editors' meeting at No 10. Dawn Neesom, the editor of the Daily Star, was one of only two women around the table – she had been represented at Downing Street by her publisher's editorial director the day before.

Lord Hunt, the chairman of the Press Complaints Commission, will continue his work in setting up the new regulator and liaising with politicians. But it is understood he will be asked to work to the Leveson proposals agreed by the editors, rather than the old Hunt-Black framework. Hunt will no longer appoint the chair of the appointments panel which will chose the chair and board of the new regulator.

Editors also agreed to wait for Oliver Letwin, David Cameron's policy-fixer, to come back with proposals on how to toughen and support the planned new regulator without recourse to statute. However, it was unclear what would happen if newspapers deemed the Letwin plan to be unattractive.

On Tuesday, at a meeting briefly attended by the prime minister at No 10, Letwin told the editors that he would introduce proposals for a non-statutory "verification body" that would take on the role Leveson proposed for Ofcom in certifying the work of the revamped press watchdog. He also said he would introduce incentives that allowed judges to favour publications signed up to the body, and ensure that the proposed tribunal had the status of a court.

Other newspaper editors present included Alan Rusbridger from the Guardian, Dominic Mohan from the Sun, Tony Gallagher from the Daily Telegraph, Lloyd Embley from the Mirror, Lionel Barber from the Financial Times, and Sarah Sands from the Evening Standard. Fraser Nelson from the Spectator was also present.

Offering his own summary on Twitter, Andrew Neil, the former Sunday Times editor, BBC presenter and chairman of the Spectator, said: "Editors meet. Hunt-Black dead. Leveson principles accepted in entirety. Issue of who verifies remains unresolved, if not statute."

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

What time is this Commons vote? I'd like to watch the fireworks.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

God drat. Jellyfish have more spine than these cowards.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I for one am enjoying the delicious tears of the slimy shits as they go squealing to the European Human Rights which they've been so desperate to get repealed.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Did you imagine all this when you started blogging about this BM? Because this is like, loving awesome and you deserve mad props for your efforts.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

So what happens if the government goes ahead with the reform? Can the papers just say, "nah we're good thanks" and that's the end of it? Or will they be able to force the papers to accede?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Wait, is Rupe taking the piss out of his own papers' smear job on Jeffries?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Ah. That makes more sense. I hope someone tweets that to him.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I can scarecely believe that, back when Horsegate and poo poo was just emerging, all this stuff was a hopeful joke. That its possibly coming true is :psyduck:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Coulson/Cameron?

Wait...

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Every paper is experiencing freefalling circulations IIRC, the Mail is no exception, its still one of the most widely read papers in the country though.

• Locked thread