Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Do shareholder lawsuits ever amount to anything? (Serious question; not being snarky.)

VVV Sorry. :blush:

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

Here's the Evening Standard's take on the story

I wonder if "Mr Anderson" is a maxtrix reference.

Do you hear the sound of inevitability, Mister Anderson?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

thehustler posted:

Is that how it works? You can't be done for anything at all?

The libel laws in the UK are crazy. (I suspect their contempt-of-court laws are similar.) For an American, it's terribly strange, but they don't have the same kind of free-speech hangup that we do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

In this case it's the concept that the right to a fair trial trumps the freedom of journalists to make money. Given that it means Nancy Grace etc don't exist here, I think it's a entirely justifiable.

It's not just journalists making money; I don't think Brown Moses is a paid journalist (yet), but he could get legally screwed if he posts the wrong thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

Not much hacking news, but I've got past the first part of the BBC journalism training scheme application process, now on to the next round, which is a verbal reasoning test.

Congratulations, and good luck. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Iohannes posted:

First the rumours were that he was gay, then a pederast. The more recent ones connect him with Thomas Hamilton. They're generally noticeable as anti-Scottish and anti-Masonic ravings by the kind of person who still talks about Zionist conspiracies and the Soviet European Union aka Mike James

Are "gay" and "pederast" things that people generally associate with the Scottish? :psyduck:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Winner is Jew posted:

Like the way drunken poor is associated with the Irish and Worlds Largest Parking Lot is associated with Wales?

All I know about Wales is that Terry Jones is from there, and that they have no vowels. I thought it was relatively mountainous, though. (Which would seem to inhibit parking.)

Thanks for the links -- that guy is funny. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Little_wh0re posted:

Ok, so what does this mean (a) would happen in an ideal world (b) is likely to actually happen?

1. Rupert Murdoch divested of his wealth and power, imprisoned for the rest of his life. Fox News burned to the ground, land on which it stood exorcised, salted.
  2. Probably nothing. :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I'm sure someone knows somebody at the Met they can pay for a couple of emails, this should be out in no time.

:rimshot:

Well done. :golfclap:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Remember when this story first broke and everybody said 'nothing would happen' and from it there's a move towards greater press regulation, Paul Dacre making GBS threads himself, Rupert Murdoch confined to a racist twitter account and the News of the World got shut down?

You're going to have, in the next two days, an actual 'NewsCorp bribed US Official to commit War Crime' story with FOX and friends already infighting and breaking apart over the election defeat.

On the other hand, Actual War Criminal Allen West was elected to the House of Representatives for a couple of years. It's a bit of a shame, but the term "war crime" doesn't have the power it ought to. (I hope I'm wrong.)

VVVV I forgot about Ollie. He ran for the Senate with a real chance of winning, and back when he was giving bullshit testimony to Congress, there were a non-trivial number of people who wanted him to be the President. :smith:

prefect fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 19, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hong XiuQuan posted:

There's no way Brooks could handle prison. I imagine she'll sing like a canary soon. How long before she vomits beans all over the place?

In the US, we have "country club" prisons for white-collar crooks. Does the UK have the ssme kind of thing?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

I've been rejected by the BBC journalism trainee scheme, loving sucks.

Condolences. Don't give up, though. You seem to have a knack for this kind of thing.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Highspeeddub posted:

Don't worry, it looks like people will have to give up ranting on twitter too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/technology/26iht-twitter26.html

At least if you say you're sorry and pay a small fee Mr. McAlpine is willing to forgive you.

It's commonly accepted (by Americans, at least) that UKanian libel laws are insanely broad and powerful. How, then, do they wind up with all the crazy poo poo in their tabloids without being sued out of existence? (I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hong XiuQuan posted:

E.g. in theory US media could probably get away with "Defense Secretary Lord McLoltwat: a colossal paedophile?" I'm surprised Obama isn't regularly accused by US hacks of being an immigrant benefit-sponging paedo.

Check out the Freep thread if that's what you're looking for. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

From the Telegraph

Murdoch's daughters were baptized in the river Jordan? :monocle:

Is that just because he's crazy-rich, or is he crazy-religious, too?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

One of my favourite responses

Hey, congratulations. That's a really great article. And they explained your avatar, which is nice, because I was wondering where it was from. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Brown Moses posted:

Problem is, this is increasingly starting to spread to the US, and as demonstrated with the NDS stuff, more poo poo keeps coming up. There's only so much stuff you can keep a lid on, even if you are the Prime Minister.

It's the same story everywhere; the rich people will get a slap on the wrist at most. Some commoners may get actual punishment to make it look like justice is being served. :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What the gently caress? A cash settlement?

Nobody goes to jail if they're rich. :smith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

max4me posted:

Depends if you think New International is helping the right wing. I think all the sensationalism trash hurts them. Long ago they handed messaging control over to pundits and talking heads whose goals and interests are not that of the party imagine but of their own ratings.

The Gop can not reform as long as they have fox news as their mouth piece. Taking down News Internationals powers and breaking them, would finaly give them a chance to control their message, and re-tune it so they can win elections. Maybe even have a purge where the crazy base doesnt dictate poo poo anymore

But most likely money talks, and they will pay a fine with out admitting guilt

Roger Ailes is a Republican, not some crazed tea-party type. Fox News is controlled just the way they want it to be. When Glenn Beck became more trouble than he was worth, they got rid of him. They'll do the same to anybody else if they need to.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Please say he told Leveson that he'd never bribe a cop or endorse bribery. Pretty please? :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gambrinus posted:

What does this mean in English?

It means the libel laws in Old Blighty prevent UKanians from saying things like "Tony Blair is loving Wendi Murdoch", so they have to make subtle eyebrow movements in the direction of American journalists who are legally allowed to say all kinds of poo poo. :buddy:

(It's probably sexist of me to say "Tony Blair is loving Wendi Murdoch"; it's entirely possible that she's loving him, or that they gently caress each other. Terribly complicated, these fleshy human relationships.)

(BM, if you can still get in trouble for my saying poo poo like this, just let me know and I'll knock it off.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

It's not really about invading someone's privacy -- it's all about spoiler prevention. :rolleye:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I don't see what's stopping someone walking down to the court, taking a picture of the day's schedule, sending that picture to someone in the US, and getting them to post what's happening.

I also don't see what was to stop me doing that myself considering I had no idea there were reporting restrictions on publicly available information, are you exempt if you're unaware of the restrictions?

It's all a bit bonkers.

Generally, ignorance of the law is not an acceptable defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ukle posted:

Oh happy days!

BBC Breaking News is that the Culture, Media and Sport Committee is recalling Rupert Murdoch to question him about the tape!

BBC article now up -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23239545

After it was revealed that Apple paid almost zero US tax, the CEO was called before Congress, where the representatives (or maybe Senators) took turns kissing his rear end with extraordinary fervor. Please tell me they do things differently in the UK.

• Locked thread