Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I just want to try the demo, I never thought it would run on my craptop but the specs are encouragingly low and I mean hella low.

Did anyone get to see what the actual price was out of interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
15~EUR
20~USD

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Price is 15 Euro's. Payment via paypal only. Got that from someone who was lucky enough to get it before the site shat itself.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So if there aren't going to be any quests is the game just running around aimlessly? I mean, the game sounds cool and all but I guess I kind of need at least a little bit of actual structure or I get bogged down and can't find anything to do.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

So if there aren't going to be any quests is the game just running around aimlessly? I mean, the game sounds cool and all but I guess I kind of need at least a little bit of actual structure or I get bogged down and can't find anything to do.

There are missions/quests to be done. They reward more xp than grinding monsters.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

There are missions/quests to be done. They reward more xp than grinding monsters.

Oh, I saw the update that said they removed all quests because they were getting in the way of freedom.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

Oh, I saw the update that said they removed all quests because they were getting in the way of freedom.

Frist I've heard of this... where did you see it?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

Frist I've heard of this... where did you see it?

Onean posted:

Double post, but Wollay put up another blog post. Mostly screenshots, but there's a bit of new information.

Quests are also gone, as it wasn't possible to get them working in a way that didn't hinder freedom and wasn't repetitive. Characters are also independent of worlds, similar to how Terraria did its characters and worlds.

Screenshots continue to look great:

I just reread the blogpost linked there and I guess it was supposed to be temporary.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
There are still missions, but missions are basically just bounties that change every day. They aren't really anything more involved than, go to x and kill boss y.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

I just reread the blogpost linked there and I guess it was supposed to be temporary.

That blog post is old. If you check the live streams, and youtube vids that have been up, you'll see missions in game.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Rawrbomb posted:

That blog post is old. If you check the live streams, and youtube vids that have been up, you'll see missions in game.

You can tell how long it's been since I've checked in on this game.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Managed to buy the game before everything kind of died and so far I'm having a lot of fun just wandering around and such. Will probably be better once I get some multiplayer going but none of my friends managed to get it yet.

Best part for me so far was while I was trying to get back to an inn during the night and I couldn't see a single thing. Suddenly a gigantic bull suddenly started running at me so I started to run away only to find 3 goblins behind me just waiting. I didn't last too long after that.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

AlmightyBob posted:

You can tell how long it's been since I've checked in on this game.

Give the semi-sporadic/very slow burn we've had up until the last two weeks, its pretty easy to see why you'd have missed something. Though I was out of the country over the weekend, so just as easy for me to miss something.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
So apparently this is up on their store for 20 dollars? I guess it got overloaded and their poo poo is broke.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Megafunk posted:

So apparently this is up on their store for 20 dollars? I guess it got overloaded and their poo poo is broke.

They got so much traffic it killed the servers, people who ordered had issues getting their games delivered. They seem to have it down until they sort out the people who've paid for the game.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Made the mistake of watching a guy streaming the game, I really want to play this :mad:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did anyone manage to snag the demo? I can't seem to find any mirrors.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
The demo is apparently just the main screen, you can't do anything but see if your computer is good enough to run it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

clonedrobojesus posted:

The demo is apparently just the main screen, you can't do anything but see if your computer is good enough to run it.

I totally missed that part. :sweatdrop:

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Yeah, it just loads some terrain and slowly pans around. If you press anything it just crashes.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So is this out now? or is this just the alpha?

afaak
Mar 17, 2005

At once as far as Angels kenn he views /
The dismal Situation waste and wilde, /
A Dungeon horrible, on all sides round
The demo (a technical demo just to make sure your system can run the game!) is floating around on various mirrors. The alpha was also released up on the site's store earlier today but a deluge of downloads overwhelmed the server and the developer quickly pulled it to fix launcher bugs and better prepare the server. Hopefully he will bring it back up and start accepting new sales by later this evening.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Wollay posted:

I fixed a bug in my server code. So far it's running smoothly. We still need to fix some game purchase issues. It will be a long night...

Poor Wollay.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shoehead posted:

Poor Wollay.

:smith:

Wollay posted:

There are still some issues, downloads are closed again. Sorry, I'm working on it...

To have internet glory so close, to be able to taste it.

Tastes like 404.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Google Trends graph of "Cube World":

Pretty much explains everything breaking.
It's been 6 hours since I first saw it was released.
Hopefully someone can help him out with hosting...

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Poor Wollay.

Still, "so much interest the store died" doesn't seem like the worst problem to have. Stopping new transactions until you make sure everyone who already paid for it gets the game is probably a really good idea to prevent people from screaming online about justice for their purchases, though really I just wish I could give him my dollars :sigh:

e: Really would have been nice if this did the whole Steam early access release thing, though I don't know what sort of cut Valve takes for that sort of thing.

GaylordButts fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 2, 2013

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Wollay's real name is Wolfram von Funck. How can this not be amazing?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

GaylordButts posted:

Really would have been nice if this did the whole Steam early access release thing, though I don't know what sort of cut Valve takes for that sort of thing.

Steam takes 30% if I remember correctly.

Does anyone know if there is or will be a 4 pack type deal?

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

Snaxx posted:

Wollay's real name is Wolfram von Funck. How can this not be amazing?

I'm tempted to make a character called "Megafunck", once I can buy this freakin' game, that is! :argh:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Namin' my first dude Can't Stop Da Funck.

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

The dot game heroes asthetic and the sounds 'sold' it for me, looks really nice.
I don't know if I'd actually pay for this though, it looks like the asthetics are all it has going for it.

Shadowlz posted:

Source on this?

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Shadowlz posted:

Huh, seems a bit high. I would have guessed 15-20%.

Gaben really is getting all my dollars.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Been following this game for a few years. Glad to see it is finally coming out

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

wiregrind posted:

The dot game heroes asthetic and the sounds 'sold' it for me, looks really nice.
I don't know if I'd actually pay for this though, it looks like the asthetics are all it has going for it.

Source on this?

Fev dev let it slip on twitter. With a grain of salt and all that.

VV Yep exactly what I was thinking too.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 2, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shadowlz posted:

Fev dev let it slip on twitter. With a grain of salt and all that.

It's Phil Fish, though. I would take a lot of things he says with a grain of salt.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

wiregrind posted:

Source on this?

Devs have referenced NDAs for all the royalty rates that they negotiate with Steam, but the Dustforce devs say that they take home 63% of their gross revenue after withholding taxes, product returns, and Steam's cut: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/TerenceLee/20130417/190637/Dustforce_sales_figures.php

That's close enough to the figure Phil Phish let slip in Shadowlz's link to lend credibility to it. It's impossible to tell the exact number, since it's probably negotiated on a contract by contract basis and we have no idea what their tax situation is like, but 30% sounds realistic given what is out there.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So does the alpha support multiplayer?

Cautiously getting hyped about this again.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
And most devs will tell you that's a fantastic deal compared to what most would get with any publisher. Unless you were ID etc a typical publishing contract was made up in such a way it appeared you should be thankful if you ever got any royalties from your hard work.

Economy Clown Car
May 5, 2009

by Pipski
30 percent seems pretty fair given that steam is pretty much gabe newell's magical millionaire maker. Terraria guy got dirty rich when it went on sale for a piffly 4-5 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Fazana posted:

And most devs will tell you that's a fantastic deal compared to what most would get with any publisher. Unless you were ID etc a typical publishing contract was made up in such a way it appeared you should be thankful if you ever got any royalties from your hard work.

Absolutely. 30% on top of having complete control to change your price as often as you want, whenever you want, to whatever you want in addition to the bundles and massive sales/promotions Steam invites developers to participate in, they give game makers a lot for their royalty fees. I don't know of another platform, including consoles, that so aggressively promotes the games it distributes. Then you get all the crazy workshop APIs they make available and it is really a lot of bang for your buck.

Economy Clown Car posted:

30 percent seems pretty fair given that steam is pretty much gabe newell's magical millionaire maker. Terraria guy got dirty rich when it went on sale for a piffly 4-5 bucks.

Yeah, and the Gunpoint guy made enough money in about 3 days to "quit jobs, as a concept."

• Locked thread