Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
WE HAVE TO GO BACK GENE!!! WE HAVE TO GO BAAAACKKK!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Someone spoil me, I still have like 9 episodes of the last season sitting on my DVR suffering from the Fringe mid-season nothing loving happens in MOTW episode blues. Does Peter get back into the right timeline? Is it worth forcing my way through these?

Peter discovers there's nowhere to go "back" to. Although that development is ameliorated by the fact that Olivia changes into "our" version of Olivia due to some science shenanigans. A lot of story stuff gets resolved by the end of the season (stuff with Jones, William Bell, the alternate universe and an explanation as to who/what the Observers are) so you're probably going to want to watch it.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

IRQ posted:

Someone spoil me, I still have like 9 episodes of the last season sitting on my DVR suffering from the Fringe mid-season nothing loving happens in MOTW episode blues. Does Peter get back into the right timeline? Is it worth forcing my way through these?

You could just jump forward to ep 419, "Letters of Transit", and see if what happens in that one tickles your fancy. Then the last three burn through a metric ton of "oh crap, cancellation sure is likelier than not" plot stuff.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Quite telling him to jump around. The correct answer is to just watch it all because every episode of last season was fantastic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Not that its going to happen this late in the show, but I'd quite like if everyone investigating fringe events would have gas masks as standard

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

muscles like this? posted:

Not me. I was saying all along that Anna Torv wasn't a bad actress and that it was just the character.

I have my doubts. I remember a scene in season 1 or 2 where she's crying about something and they film that scene from very very far, hiding the fact that she had trouble conveying the emotion realistically.

She improved a lot over the course of the show and is a much better actress than when the show started, I'll give her that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadpool posted:

Quite telling him to jump around. The correct answer is to just watch it all because every episode of last season was fantastic.
I wouldn't say 'fantastic'. It was pretty good, but the last three episodes of the season were pretty weak plot-wise, particularly since they had been setting up those showdowns for the whole season.

I'll be interested to see how the new direction of the show turns out. 'Letters of Transit' was an interesting idea, although I'm still not sold on the whole 'Observers are no longer observing' thing as a whole.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
My favorite of last season was the closing of the bridge. :( I'm afraid and excited for the season. It's the last one ever.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

IRQ posted:

Do yourself a favor, watch AT MINIMUM episode 19 ("Letters of Transit"), which sets up the final season; episode 20 ("Worlds Apart") which may or may not end the "red" universe storyline; and then the two-part season finale. This is very, very important going into the final season.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for the final season, especially with the hints at what Walter is going to be capable of doing.

A 13 episode run with a known end date and a strong place to begin from is more than I had hoped for during last season's ratings struggles but I can't think of a better way to go out.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I had 2.5 seasons of Fringe sitting on my DVR and binged through them in the last week. Now I'm anxious as hell for the new season. A few things from last season left me confused, I get that if Peter never existed then history would be different but it was A LOT different. Is there any explanation for that beyond butterfly effect?

Also, when/why did they switch from Fauxlivia to Bolivia and what does the latter reference? Well I can guess the when, was when she was discovered but I still don't get the "B" in Bolivia.

edit: B as A/B universes?

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 22, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The simple answer is that the B is because it's Universe B. The real answer I believe was that it was designated as B-Olivia in the scripts so that's why they used it.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

A few weeks ago the third season bluray was on sale for $20 or so, and I immediately snapped it up cause thats by far the best. But then I read that OP (by which I mean listened to the theme song) and went and ordered the first two seasons off amazon and I have absolutely zero regrets. Season four was something, and while I enjoyed it I certainly cant recommend it like I can season 3, but I am so looking forward to this next season. Even if somehow the plot goes to crap, all of the actors are pretty great, so I am sure I will enjoy something about the next season no matter what.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Aatrek posted:

Do yourself a favor, watch AT MINIMUM episode 19 ("Letters of Transit"), which sets up the final season; episode 20 ("Worlds Apart") which may or may not end the "red" universe storyline; and then the two-part season finale. This is very, very important going into the final season.

I'd actually not recommend watching part one of the finale two parter as it is without question the worst episode of the season with a resolution that rubbed me the wrong way horribly. I think you could watch just the second part and still understand what is going on.

It, along with The Consultant which very blatantly changed B-royles from a shapeshifter (remember that plotline? the writers didn't) to "man aiding in the destruction of universes to help his son for a while", suffer from a very obvious case of retcon to try and tie up the season in a bundle before they knew whether they were renewed or not.

Of the last nine episodes, and this is taking into account quality as well as importance: episode 14 - The End of All Things (sets up Letters of Transit and a huge infodump of four seasons worth of build), episode 17 - Everything in its Right Place (B-verse MOTW but also served to speed-run speed-up the shifter plot), episode 19 - Letters of Transit, 20 - Worlds Apart and 22 - Brave New World part 2.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

Lid posted:

It, along with The Consultant which very blatantly changed B-royles from a shapeshifter (remember that plotline? the writers didn't) to "man aiding in the destruction of universes to help his son for a while", suffer from a very obvious case of retcon to try and tie up the season in a bundle before they knew whether they were renewed or not.

He was never a shapeshifter, just working for Jones due to blackmail, as established in this very episode.

e: do we really need to spoiler this?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Tortolia posted:

I can't wait for the final season, especially with the hints at what Walter is going to be capable of doing.

A 13 episode run with a known end date and a strong place to begin from is more than I had hoped for during last season's ratings struggles but I can't think of a better way to go out.

I actually prefer this to another 22 episode season. The only recent show I can think of that succesfully kept up the pace during a season that long, is Nikita. Most other great shows do 13 episodes a season, which usually means full-speed ahead/no fillers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

richardfun posted:

I actually prefer this to another 22 episode season. The only recent show I can think of that succesfully kept up the pace during a season that long, is Nikita. Most other great shows do 13 episodes a season, which usually means full-speed ahead/no fillers.

I've started watching 24 on Netflix and it really suffers from struggling to expand things out this much. I'm really glad Fringe is only 13 episodes now. No more MotW

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Rewatching 'Letters of Transit' - Walter, Astrid, Peter, and Bell were amber'd in the typewriter shop we'd seen many times before, which housed the quantum-entangled typewriter used to communicate with the other universe.

Since we later found out that the bridge to the other side ended up closed, and that Olivia got de-Cortexiphaned after she got shot in the head, the team had no way to reach Walternate and company... after the Observer invasion, I am convinced that the team was trying to reach the alternate Fringe team for help, or backup, or SOMETHING to fight the Observers.

Cat Plus Plus
Apr 8, 2011

:frogc00l:

Aatrek posted:

Since we later found out that the bridge to the other side ended up closed, and that Olivia got de-Cortexiphaned after she got shot in the head, the team had no way to reach Walternate and company... after the Observer invasion, I am convinced that the team was trying to reach the alternate Fringe team for help, or backup, or SOMETHING to fight the Observers.

Maybe the mysterious device was a miniature version of the Machine, and they coordinated the effort with the other universe to create a new bridge. They probably wouldn't be able to access the original one, Observers knew what it does and where it is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

kerwyn posted:

He was never a shapeshifter, just working for Jones due to blackmail, as established in this very episode.

e: do we really need to spoiler this?

Yeah I don't believe that was the plan, it feels tacked on and trying to tie it all up in case of cancellation. It went from Broyles working for him on the assumption of shapeshifter to showing he was blackmailed, having a crisis of conscience, turning himself in, and then the next episode involving an entirely new unrelated plan with the cortexaphan patients for the same purpose. It was all rushed.

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 23, 2012

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
Well it's rather unfortunate that what you wanted to happen isn't actually what happened. They set up a pretty minor twist there though by taking the expectation that Broyles was a shapeshifter working with Jones, because all of Jones's previous subordinates were shapeshifters, and instead treating it as a coercion.

Plus, if you were following spoilerland at the time the showrunners even said essentially "Not all the bad guys are shapeshifters, and there are some surprising allegiances coming up this season." They were pretty clear that someone (or multiple someones) were actually playing for the other team, and not just plants.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lid posted:

Yeah I don't believe that was the plan, it feels tacked on and trying to tie it all up in case of cancellation. It went from Broyles working for him on the assumption of shapeshifter to showing he was blackmailed, having a crisis of conscience, turning himself in, and then the next episode involving an entirely new unrelated plan with the cortexaphan patients for the same purpose. It was all rushed.

Sounds to me like you were making assumptions that didn't turn out to be correct.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Regy Rusty posted:

Sounds to me like you were making assumptions that didn't turn out to be correct.

It wasn't an unreasonable assumption and every Fringe episode review I've read along with many others on the internet made the same assumption. Whether it was the original plan or not, the Broyles traitor plotline felt rushed and awkward.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Almost everything about the end of that season was rushed. Hell, we got no resolution at all to the whole 'perfect shapeshifter' storyline that took up about 3 episodes. It ended up being pointless.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
That actually got wrapped up too, in episode 17. They found the vigilante shapeshifter and convinced him to turn on Jones and alternate-Nina, and he infiltrated Nina's base while transformed into the shapeshifter sniper that tried to kill him. At the end of the episode, they had access to the tracking network that presumably allowed them to capture all remaining shapeshifters, though this action probably took place offscreen.

I agree it was a very swift end, but the way they had it written any further exposition would have been filler, which this thread has always been so quick to call out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

wormil posted:

It wasn't an unreasonable assumption and every Fringe episode review I've read along with many others on the internet made the same assumption. Whether it was the original plan or not, the Broyles traitor plotline felt rushed and awkward.

Obviously most viewers assumed he was a shape shifter, that doesn't mean that they changed their mind at the last minute. The story was better for it not being what we thought it was.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Oasx posted:

Obviously most viewers assumed he was a shape shifter, that doesn't mean that they changed their mind at the last minute. The story was better for it not being what we thought it was.

I disagree. BBoyles died before, it would have been fitting to die again and would have played into the fate discussions. Like Olivia remembering her previous timeline, it didn't add anything to the story. Basically at the end of the season they just made everyone kiss and make up for an emotional closing of the bridge. I still enjoyed the season but I believe it could have been done better.

MilkDud
Sep 11, 2001

So, I have a friend who lives in Vancouver, and fringe is apparently always filming outside his apartment complex. He posted this on facebook today (spoilers?):

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/398422_10151027245375887_1895075468_n.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

MilkDud posted:

So, I have a friend who lives in Vancouver, and fringe is apparently always filming outside his apartment complex. He posted this on facebook today (spoilers?):

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/398422_10151027245375887_1895075468_n.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine!

Maybe those cars are in amber?

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Man reading this thread makes me realize I forgot so much Fringe from the last season.

In fact, I'd say the show completely lost me last season until the "Days of Future Past" story we got with "Letters of Transit" which reminded me exactly why I love Fringe and the balls this show has when it gets to whip em out.

I know a lot of people think "more is better" with stuff they love and really enjoy the MOTW episodes, but I can't help but think how much more I'd enjoy a barebones version of Fringe that re-edited the show to not just delete the most irrelevant of episodes but pulled out little stuff from the only mostly irrelevant ones to create some singular vision of the show as tight as possible.

I'm absolutely looking forward to a 13 episode season (most probably should have been this length) and have the highest hopes the certainty of an end-date will really ramp up the ability to pace accurately the final story.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Holy poo poo, this comes back Friday? What a pleasant surprise.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
New trailer!!

Poor, poor Walter.....

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Siroc posted:

New trailer!!

Poor, poor Walter.....

I get the impression that most of the new footage in that trailer is from the premiere.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

hcreight posted:

I get the impression that most of the new footage in that trailer is from the premiere.

If all of that is just from the premiere, consider me stoked

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Siroc posted:

New trailer!!

Poor, poor Walter.....

Those shots of a building covered with amber make me wonder if those scenes don't take place in the other universe, or if the A-side started using amber against the observers at some point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jack Gladney posted:

Those shots of a building covered with amber make me wonder if those scenes don't take place in the other universe, or if the A-side started using amber against the observers at some point.

We know that they do. Since the Fringe team was in amber.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hcreight posted:

I'd hope so because I doubt they'll spend a lot of time without Olivia around. Not having her in the previous future episode was to avoid spoiling whether she would live or die but now we know the truth.

WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.
This was posted on the Fringe Twitter account earlier today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEcTUkDDnF4

The big QR code that was there for a frame points to http://youtu.be/aHZllTzCvl4?hd=1

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Here's a nutso tidbit about the world of the future, from io9.

quote:

In the Observer-controlled future, there's a general lack of decency and dignity, most notably when it comes to a group of people referred to as Amber Gypsies. These creepy mercenaries cut out blocks of amber — with human being still encased inside of it — and sell it. And people use the ambered humans as furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I never really thought about it before watching that trailer but I find it funny that 600 years in the future its easier to time travel back to when the planet doesn't suck instead of there being proper interplanetary travel

• Locked thread