Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - Marysville Station

Mayla purses her lips and looks back down at the floor. After a moment, she starts speaking slowly and quietly. "More than one... 'Earth'? And these 'humans' come from from different ones? But what about me?"

She looks back up at Phoebe and assumes a normal volume. "But what about me? I am not from 'Earth.' I am from Keshan." She paused to think for a moment. "Am I now on one of your 'Earths'?"

No... ridiculous. How could that be? She was just out for a hike. How could she have possibly arrived on another world? Is this an elaborate deception by some previously-undiscovered monkey people? The precursor to an invasion of her Clan?

How devious. They captured a noblewoman and are trying to trick her into telling them about her Clan. They now know where Rempasha is. They could be poised to strike it at any moment. This had to be stopped.

Mayla glanced back at the bench with her belongings. Her gun was still there. The fools had made no effort to disarm her. She could halt the invasion right then and there... all by herself. She'd be a hero and her name would go down in history alongside those of all the other great women of Resharro.

...No, this is silly. They have numbers and guns of their own. Even with her superior rifle... No, she must make it back to Rempasha and warn the others. 10,000 men each with his own Relshan Rifle would certainly do a better job. Everyone knows killing is a job for the men. She'd still be a hero for figuring out this plot.

She smiled at Phoebe. "I think this is making a lot more sense. Thank you."

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Laguna Casador

Laguna is, frankly, still convinced that the papers are rat liars. Sure, the broad strokes sound about right, but that 1970 fishwrap was all wrong in all the important details.

Still, the idea that they were all from different dimensions did have some appeal. Probably 'cause it suggests you didn't kill yourself, he thinks.

"Sounds interestin'," Laguna interjects as he turns towards Mayla and Phoebe, "but it don't explain how we all got here, or even where 'here' is. Not anymore 'n the 'we're all in boot hill' idea, anyway." He looks down at the two ladies comparing feet, and raises his eyes at the difference. Then he looks at Mayla's ears. Huh, how hadn't he noticed that before? And how hadn't he noticed her arrogance before?! Laguna decides that he needs to try taking her down a peg.

"Mayla, can't rightly say I care much about what color yer blood is or what yer last name is. 'n I don't think anybody 'round these parts cares much either. Probably fer the best if ya keep that high-falutin' manner to yerself."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 21, 2012

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

The space girl spent most of the conversation only half-listening, analyzing the newspapers one by one and making notes on the results. She's caught enough, though, that she can weigh in.

"It's got a theoretical basis," Astra says, standing back up, turning to face the others. "The usual angle is the quantum mechanical many-worlds interpretation. Since every event X has a non-one probability, there's a non-zero probability of Not-X, and that really what happens is every single possible event creates a new world branch. That leads to all sorts of conceptual problems, though - why do we only percieve one reality, for example? There's a competing theory that models the 'multiple' worlds as localized space bubbles, making each world like its own bubble in the frothy foam of the universe. That gets around the philosophical problems but the math doesn't work out as neatly."

Astra stops and crosses her arms.

"But it's all purely theoretical."

Ninja Edit: Astra smells a bit different than the others, with more of a metallic and antiseptic undercurrent, the result of living most the time in reprocessed atmosphere.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 21, 2012

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Austin

Austin catches his breath and squats down, spitting on the ground as he gets his bearings. Something was off, that's for sure. He sure as hell was not on Earth anymore, or at least Earth as he knew it. At least he ended up getting transported while wearing his assault gear, better than say getting caught in that fog stuff while he was taking a piss in the middle of the night. He sighed and stood up, doing a walk around the perimeter of the building before going back inside.

He stops as the group continues to discuss more. God drat, that lizard thing is gonna take some getting used to. He clears his throat and speaks "So, what now? Anyone find anything else out about this place? Should we try taking down the locked doors?" He asks, pointing to the Employees Only room and the Transfer Room.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Bus Station

The 2025 New York Times article talks of how in the year 1995, Dr. Paul Van
Zandt, a physics professor, built the first working parachronic projector
and used it to visit the timeline that became known as Earth-Beta, or simply Beta. What the newspaper calls a 'timeline' is another word for different versions of the same planet. Dr. Van Zandt found a way to travel from one version of Earth to another. The article then goes on to talk about some of the worlds discovered including Johnson's Rome (a strange Roman era resort), a world where the South won, worlds where mythical and literary persons exist, and then the 'Hell' worlds where disasters of all sorts have made worlds inhabitable to humans. The article also mentions the exploration of unknown phenomena that can transport people between worlds.

Even though Phoebe reads the article, everyone can comment on it for convenience. Any basic, public knowledge about IW can be gleaned from the article. The article mentions the existence of banestorms which can transport people to different worlds.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla was taken aback by Laguna's sudden rudeness. He had proven earlier to be rather uncouth, but never before was it directed at her. Unbelievable.

Trap or not, this slight against her had to be corrected.

Mayla frowns, crosses her arms, and turns to Phoebe. "Phoebe, you should know better than to let your male run wild like this. He should be punished for addressing me directly, let alone for his words."

She turns up her nose and takes on a more arrogant tone. "A male giving orders to a woman. Honestly. Even you monkey people, even you commoners, should understand the benefits of having proper social order."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Marysville Station

"My male?" Phoebe asks after putting her sock and shoe back on. "I don't know him from Adam, but no one's going to be punished for something as ridiculous as talking. However you may have done things back home, sister, we've all got a right to our opinions and if you can't handle it, just take a page from the duck and let it roll off your back like water."

She returns to the article. "See, look at this stuff--this is exactly what I was talking about. They found a way to travel to different versions of the same planet with different histories. Earth, Keshan, whatever, I'm confident the continents would look the same. Even... they talk about something called a "banestorm," that takes people and jumps them to other worlds. Did... did any of you run into some fog just before getting here?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla was busy working on a rebuttal for Phoebe as she spoke. But one word caught her attention. Fog. The strange fog that rolled in and enveloped her as she tried to make it to shelter.

"Fog. Yes. I was out hiking. The skies were completely clear. But it became foggy at an incredible rate. I sought shelter in a cave and I ended up here."

Was this part of the monkey people's trap or were they really just as confused as she was? In any case, as soon as the fog lifted... Mayla was going to get back to Rempasha as fast as she could.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

"Fog? Yes, but it was early morning... fog was normal for the morning, when I was walking. A bit thicker than usual. Still, interesting. These storms bring everyone to the same place?"

Morgans interest is perked, although the remains sitting. She didn't want to get any closer to the self-important... what was she? Keshan? She acted like Morgans former owner did, ordering everyone around, everything had to be his way, no exceptions or deviations. He could remember it now, and see it for what it was, a spoiled brat turned into a spoiled man, even if she hadn't had the intelligence to recognize it then.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"I ran into some fog as well--crazy stuff, blew up right out of nowhere, and then I was at a cave as well, and this place was on the other side. If we asked everyone else, I bet they'd give us a similar answer. If this is all real, if this information is reliable, then maybe what happened is each of us got caught in one of these 'banestorms' and were sent here. If that's the case..."

She stopped and swallowed, her throat suddenly feeling bone-dry.

"Think about all the worlds there might be. Worlds where Rome survived... worlds like Keshan... worlds where the South won, and I don't even know what 'South' they're talking about. Hell, maybe even worlds where Sweden didn't go all pantyrannical. Worlds like everyone's, and unlike everyone's. If that's the case, even if we walked back out into that fog... we might not be able to get back home."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

Vri huffs arily. "How you can undersssstand anything without ssssmelling. Hrmph monkeys and ssswimming ratssss." She sniff at Mayla's declarations. "Our ssssspecies treatssss malessss and femalessss the ssssame, even if they are ssssmaller. But we are more cultured. You probably don't lay eggssss. And have sssslaves. Perhaps you believe in water rat demonssss too." Tossing her head, she peers over the metal smelling monkey's shoulder. "Dimenssssionsss? I do not know about this but....during the Great War of 1900, our forces tried to make a destroyer invissssible to the enemiessss. Officially they were degausssssing to make it invisible to minesss. But people ssssaid it caused the sssship to dissssapper into another place and come back. Another dimenssssion. Allegedly the crew were found encased in bulk headssss." Pausing, she adds. "It was foggy during that experiment too. Asssss it was while I was doing physsssical training this morning."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Except it doesn't really work like that....theoretically. The quantum effects would be too small to impact actual events and...." Astra's protest comes to a halt. "Fog?" she asks. She reaches into her pack and produces a database, pulling up video logs of her flight. Five-second interval snapshots go past as she scrolls and then stops, showing the view of a dense cloud of fog. "I thought it was illegal fuel venting," she says. "It happens sometimes. It fouled up my re-entry and caused my crash," Astra says. Small gestures scroll through the photos, showing the fog as it approaches and envelops the ship.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Karima

It takes Karima a moment or two to process what the others were saying. Time travel would have made more sense, she thinks to herself. Then, a bit panicked - but only inwardly - In the name of He the most merciful, where the hell am I? She stands from her perch on the bench, kneels facing the direction of the tunnel that brought her (and presumably everyone else) here, and prays. Then, standing again, the doctor ambles slowly over to the newspaper machines where most of the others seem to have congregated.

"There was fog on the road to Jerusalem," she notes. "I was with others, but they wanted to turn back. I kept going on foot, that's how I ended up here. It sounds like much the same story as the rest of you, honestly." She shakes her head. "It is patently ridiculous, but let us assume for the moment that we have in fact all been drawn from different worlds. Perhaps the best thing to do is to see if there's any way to determine where we are now." Her emotional pendulum had swung back towards in control, now.

"You. Uh...Astra, was it?" Dr. Bishara gestures towards the spacer. "Your electronics. Would they be useful to see if there is anything beyond the fog, outside?" She drums her fingers against the palm of her other hand, then looks at Austin. "And perhaps we should see what's on the other side of those doors. I'd hate to be responsible for destruction of property, but I think in this case we can plead necessity." It had been a while since she had kicked down a door, anyway. Finally she looks at Phoebe. "You seem to have the best handle on what's happened to us, so maybe you can figure out what our options are for getting back to where we belong. ...if there are any."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"We need data," she agrees with the Doctor, nodding a few times. "Yes! Astra. Sato-Taylor. Astra's fine. Hmmmm..." Astra pulls her scanner off her belt and flips it over. "Sure, we could try. The range is limited, this is just a handheld unit. If we need something more powerful we could see if any of the sensor equipment on my shuttle's still workable. We'd have to haul it through the tunnels, though."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Sorry, Doctor," Phoebe said. "Sure, I'm a scientist, but asking me to explain this this is like giving Roger Bacon a calculater and asking him to take it apart and build you a better one. All I know is what's in this paper and what I can guess from all of us being here... this is all just an inch away from scientifiction anyway. I just have the feeling that even if we did get snatched by another banestorm, there's no guarantee we'd end up back where we started. We might end up on still other Earths."

She stopped and took a breath. No wonder the SLS couldn't give her any signal--even if this Earth, whatever it was, did have satellites, there was no reason they'd use the same communication protocols. Communication...

"Still, we might be able to figure out where we are." She opened her backpack and retreived her portable sparkset. "All we've gotta do is listen."

Phoebe is attempting to pick up transmissions on her transistor radio. She is going slowly through the bands, listening carefully for anything that might be an artificial transmission.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

She nods approvingly. "Whatever works. One moment." With almost a little spring in her step, Dr. Bishara saunters over to the employees-only door, checks the lock, and shrugs. "If there is anyone who thinks we should not break this down, say so now. Otherwise..." She takes a step or two back from the door, knees bent as if lining up a kick, staring straight at a point just slightly above the door handle, where the lock ought to be.

If no one objects, gonna action doctor the hell out of the employees-only door, Forced Entry 14.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

The astronaut moves up behind Karima, off to the side, unholstering her laser pistol.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Laguna Casador

As Laguna glances at the same article in his paper, his mind starts thinking. So...does that mean I'm not dead? On a lucky fog break? Well, ain't that comforting, I can't even kill myself right.

"Ya know, there was a fog bank rollin' in on the highway before I ended up...here. Though if Phoebe's right about this queer ol' fog, reckon we might as well be dead on wherever we're from."

Deciding to leave off sniping back at Mayla for later, he sets down his pack next to one of the benches, grabs his shotgun, checks the chamber, and strides with renewed confidence over to the Employee Only door.

"Break 'er down, doc!" he encourages her.

Sorry, BM, but the cowboy's Code of Honor really doesn't like the fancy "I'm above everyone" type :cheeky:

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 21, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla was aghast. What a crass display. "You can't be serious! It is locked for a reason. If you don't have the key, then clearly you were not meant to enter."

She begins walking back to the bench where here belongings are sitting. Breaking and entering - how unbefitting of a lady! She sighs and sits down.

"It shall be noted that I took no part in this," she calls over to the group.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"Oh?" She spins around and looks at Mayla, head tilted. "So we're supposed to do what, then? Wait until something happens, live off of the vending machines until they run out? Do you have a better idea for what we should be doing? No? Unless you have an alternative, then..." Dr. Bishara turns back around, bends her knees once more, and prepares for the kick.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bus Station

Phoebe finds only static on her radio.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Or we could do the sensible thing and wait for daybreak and the fog to clear so we can each make our way back to our respective homes."

These monkey people just have no sense. Mayla lays down on her blanket on top of the bench. Daylight can't come fast enough. She still wanted to get home as soon as possible, but it was looking less and less like this was the vanguard of an invasion force. What a bunch of strange people.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 21, 2012

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

Not one to wait around while others argue, Astra pulls the trigger on her laser pistol, using the beam to cut out the lock on the door.

Beam Weapons(Pistol) -12

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"All right, seems that if anyone's around, they aren't transmitting. Funny, that. You'd think people that build things like this would also have funk stations around somewhere."

She walks to the front doors, doing her best to ignore the people trying to polish their breaking-and-entering skills, and looks out into the fog.

GTD Aquitaine fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 27, 2013

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Casador - by the Employees Only door

"And what happens when you ride into the fog 'n' come out in Dinosaur Land?" Laguna asks with a smirk, looking at the arrogant lady who cared too much about her last name and motioning towards the raptor. "Besides, I got some questions fer whoever holds the fort here, especially 'bout those fishwraps."

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 21, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla continues to stare up at the ceiling. "I don't know what these "Dinosaurs" are, but it is certain that they are more pleasant than you," Mayla shoots back at Laguna.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 21, 2012

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bus Stop

Astra zaps the door with her laser. It burns a spot on the door and heats up the rest of the door. It continues to stand, as if to mock her attempts to melt it down.

Phoebe looks out into the fog and sees a dark shape moving in the fog, but only for an instant. It then disappears back into the fog.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Oh for gently caress's sake, what is this door made of?" Astra asks. She stops firing and turns her pistols sideways to check the charge on it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan - Marysville Station

Morgan looks on as the mob of humans prepare to assault the door... and fail.

"Well that was certainly impressive. I take it that your people haven't perfected lasers yet?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bus Stop

Astra's pistol is fully charged.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"...fascinating," says Karima at the display of future technology. Anyone who could doubt what was going on now simply had to be in denial. Her Twilight Zone comment was looking more and more apt. And yet, despite the flashy laser, the door still stood. "Let me try," says the doctor, before unleashing a mighty kick at the lock.

Forced Entry 14.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe blinked. What was that? It didn't look like anything, just like a patch of shadow, there and then gone. It could have been anything... but if banestorms didn't just take people from their own world, but things...

"So sorry to distract from your criminal enterprise, people, but there appears to be something out there." She took a step back from the glass, her hand hovering over her holstered pistol.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla sits up and grabs her rifle and slips the sling over her neck. She looks over at Phoebe, still seated. "Define 'something,' Phoebe."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"I don't know, I only saw it for a second," she said. "It looked like it could have been a person... but that description covers a lot of ground. Do you want to check it out? Someone might be trying to steal my velo, or something worse."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Laguna Casador

"Ain't that somethin'", Laguna observes as Astra produces the laser pistol. Then he sees that the door isn't even damaged by the shot. "Ain't THAT somethin'!"

As he wonders what to do next, he hears Phoebe call out that she saw something moving outside. Tipping his hat but keeping his shotgun ahead of him, he turns his back on the Employee Only door and joins her.

"You saw somethin', ma'am?" he asks, pulling his hat down to shade his eyes and looking out the glass doors himself.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Something indeed, Captain America," Phoebe said. "Interested in helping to solve the mystery?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Good, Mayla thought. Her people have found her. Certainly these monkey-people would know if more of their kind were out there. "Let's go."

She slips her bandolier and boots on, then unhooks the lantern from her backpack. Fishing through her backpack, she produces a bottle of oil and a flint lighter. After filling up her lantern she lights it and picks it up with her left hand.

She stands, chambers a round, and walks over to Phoebe.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

Morgan moves out of his chair, and peers out one of the windows.

"Something moving out there? Maybe another lost person? Should we let them in?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

Karima's foot makes solid contact, close to the spot that had presumably already been weakened, and the stubborn door relents this time. She takes a step forward into the doorway. Unfortunately, that doesn't do a whole lot of good - there are no lights on, and the employee room is almost completely dark. "I...cannot see anything." She turns around with a shrug, and looks at Mayla and Phoebe. "You said there's something out there? Be careful, okay?"

With that, she turns back around. "Astra, do you or, uh..." Trailing off as she looks over her shoulder again, she tries to remember Captain America's name. "...Laguna, have a flashlight? Or could you get mine from my backpack, please?"

Doc's connection is acting up so I'm relaying what I was told on IRC:
<Docbubonic> Fraction post in the game saying that Action doctor looks into the room and the first thing she sees is that its dark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Nice, Doc," Astra says approvingly. She swaps her pistol for her penlight and holds the light up high, so it goes over people's heads and into the room.

• Locked thread