Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

Looking from one side to another, Morgan sighs. "We have glass doors on either side. The only large room has traces of bad chemicals on the floor, and a broken lock. I... don't think we can make this place safe against anyone. And with the lights, people outside can see us easier than we can see them. I think we need another idea."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

"First, gotta check the perimeter. Radio doesn't lie, we gotta check for Vermin, or Hovercats. If I can get through they can too, and I don't fancy getting a needle in me in the night and not waking up." He gets up and stretches his legs.

On hearing Astra, he leans against the wall as someone approaches him, she had been in the back before. A 'scan' made him wary, but no bot he knew had anything that wasn't contact. If she was a changeling then she would try to get closer to him, and if she was harmed would explode killing everyone. He cringes as she comes closer, his rifle instinctively tightens in his hands.

"Okay Scan, but do it fast, if it will get you all not to shoot me." He says with his mask fully on, muffled by the plastic.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

Vri rolls her eyes. "No one has threatened to shoot you."

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Austin

Austin glances around then back at the strange newcomer. He shakes his head then heads inside, deciding to let the others get him oriented. He glances around the room, seeing the kicked open door and goes towards the Employees only room holding his rifle at the ready.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 23, 2012

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Phoebe St. Clair - Marysville Station

"Hey, hey, settle down," Phoebe says, raising her empty hands. "Nobody's going to shoot you, all right? Just with a name like 'nanoburn,' we want to make totally sure that it's harmless. Understand? We've had enough shooting today. More than enough. Sure, check the perimeter--we could use some extra information on how this place will hold up. I took a tour through the frequencies a little while ago, but if anyone's got a sparkset around here, they're not using it."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

"Threat or not, doesn't matter. Sound choice to make if you got a typhoid mary, had to do a few like that. I don't have any worry cause I got a vac as a baby." He looks from one to the other, this was an odd group. If they weren't thinking about killing him then they weren't going to be very effective if they came back. He looks around his eyes going to the walls and vents as much as he can.

"You'd not hear anything from those bots, they are passive. Programmed to be pest control, usually for the small ones. They aren't duct cleaners, but if you are anywhere near a tinman site, they are all over the place. They also kill rats and anything else. Dumb bots, but effective bots." He shrugged as he looks out the door again.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

Space girl remains silent on the matter of shooting and it's sufficiency. She does, however, take scanner and set it for 'devices'. It should detect any cybernetics, nanites, or other general EM source on the newcomer.

Electronics Operation/Sensors 13

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - Marysville Station

At some point, Mayla had dozed off. She didn't realize just how tired she was when she lay down.

She dreamt of home. She hadn't even been away for much more than a day and she already missed so much. Her family's heated swimming pool. How when she wanted to think she'd hold her breath and submerge for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. It was always nice and warm even in the harsh Resharran winters.

She dreamt of the platters of fruit for dinner. The mountains of flower petals for dessert. Her workshop. The university. The firing range. The fog. The monsters. Laguna's scream. His mutilated corpse.

She awoke with a frightened yelp. She was still in the bus station. And Karima was there next to her. "I... oh... Doctor. I was having a bad dream. It was about Laguna.."

She looked around. There was a new person and a strange scent. Things seemed tense but not dangerous. So she grabbed her canteen and took a much-needed drink from it.

"Who is this? What's that smell?" she inquired as she rubbed her eyes.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 23, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

"It is a new monkey covered in poissssson."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"This is Ethan, Mayla," Phoebe said. "He just walked out of the fog, and the world he came from doesn't exactly sound like a vacation spot."

There's not much more Phoebe can do. She steps back toward the doors, keeping a resolute eye on the fog. There's no telling who else--or what else--might emerge from it.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

Shrugging, he looks around intensely around the room, not really concerning himself with what they talked about. He waits nervously for them to be scanned looking around at his surroundings somewhat ansty. He shifts position and holds his rifle higher as a new voice sounds out in the room, then forces himself to relax. He looks from face to face, before deciding to check the corners and outside for any threats.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Bus Stop

Astra scans the new comer. The new comer is covered in a minute amount of some unknown particulate. It isn't toxic currently. There are no living active nanobots on him either.

Here's the situation with the doors. The door with the sign that says employee only is a janitor's closet where the chlorine gas began to seep out of. The other door is the one to the ticket counter office and its still locked. And the area is clear of any threats. At least any threats anyone in the group can detect (which is a lot).

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Karima

"The others are checking to make sure the new guy is legitimate," comments Karima softly. "Don't worry about that for now. I just...you were very quiet and I wanted to make sure you were okay. Things like that...not everyone copes the same way, you know?" She shrugs. "Bad dreams are normal. The brain is a funny thing. It's always a good idea to talk about things, though. You don't have to deal with it alone if you don't want to."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla looks up at Karima.

"It's just... I had never seen someone die before. And then Laguna died right in front of me. And there was so much blood. I was trying to help him but I couldn't."

Mayla paused and look down.

"I just want to go home."

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 23, 2012

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"I'm not picking up any nanotech. If he's really from another world it might be something I can't pick up," Astra admits. "There's some kind of strange particulate here. Maybe just some fullerines or something?" Astra moves the scanner to see if she can pick up the same particles on herself.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"We all do. I have people counting on me. I'm sure you do too. But right now, the eight of us here? That's all we have, and we're all counting on each other." Shaking her head sadly, Karima does her best to be sympathetic. And it was true - they were all counting on each other, even if maybe there was discontent and enmity to overcome. "The first time...never easy. Sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me - I've spent so much time tending to refugees and casualties of war that sometimes it doesn't bother me as much as it should. Today was a little different, but..."

Placing a reassuring hand on Mayla's shoulder, she continues. "But you did well, you know that? The thing that killed him is dead, and you helped make sure it can't hurt anyone else. You did everything you could and you can be proud of that." Smiling, she adds, "I trust you. I trust that you'll be there for all of us, and I will be here for you. Okay? You will be fine. But there is work we all need to do. Be afraid, be sad, be angry, feel how you need to feel, then put it in the past. Then we all get to work finding a way home."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

"Dust, maybe. Hard to tell, could be from the hyperfac, lots of bad stuff around them." He starts looking around more throughly, he walks toward the nearest door and notices the scorch mark. He tries to open the first door nearest him, that says 'Employee's only.'

"So what did you lock in here?" He asks the others.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 23, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla Relshan - MArysville Station

Mayla looks back up at Karima.

"Th..Thanks, doctor. I'll try. It hurts, but I'll try." She takes a deep breath and then exhales, and takes a stand. Perhaps taking her mind off things will help a bit, at least in the short term.

She glances towards the doors. Still dark. Maybe she han't been asleep for very long, or maybe... the night isn't going to end.

"What time is it? Are there any clocks around? ... Have you humans even invented clocks?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Bust Stop

Astra finds no trace of the particulates on her. They seem to be only on Ethan's clothing.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

"You're very welcome. It's what Allah put me here for, I suppose." She smiles. "We have clocks. Honestly, I'm just glad you call them the same thing we do," counters Karima with a bit of a wry little snicker. "I'll be right back. Maybe there's one in the ticket office, I wanted to check that anyway." Standing, she looks over at the newcomer. "You might want to stay clear of that room. If you really feel the need to be poking around like that, help me with this one over here," she states with a gesture towards the office.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Why wouldn't we have clocks?" Phoebe asks. The questions some people came up with... "Keeping track of time's important. If the ones here are anything like what they are back home, it'll either be a digital display or a circle lined with numbers and two hands to point at them."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

"Any idea why you might have a fine particulate on you?" Astra asks the newcomer, as she logs in the data from her sensors. "You're the only one with it." She pauses. "Oh, I'm Astra. That's our Doctor," she points to Karima, "And...I'm not sure I got everybody else's names."

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla narrows her eyes and looks towards Phoebe. "To be perfectly frank, Phoebe, you humans have struck me as being too disorganized to care about things such as time. In any case, I am relieved that that is not the case."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

He turns toward the Tel Aviv woman and nods, "I get you in if you get me out. I'm a progger and BandE expert. Since this place doesn't have any bots, nothing to hack on that part. I'll get my lockpicks out." Ethan digs in his pack and walks toward the door indicated.

As he does, he answers the strange clean woman, Astra she said. "Well there might be two things. One might be the Vulture bot over head spraying nanoburn, or it might be when I went through the toxic waste to get into Denver. Ai's don't care much where the stuff that is toxic to humans goes after they are done with it. Either one could do it!"

He gets in front of the door and starts checking it for anything that could trigger an alarm or traps.

Since Doc said that there wasn't anything of danger I'm going to assume that there is nothing to find, but still splitting my post

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Vri

Exasperated, Vri settles in by the door, eyes narrowed at the looming fog. Under her breath, she hisses several select curses before continuing to guard the door.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

"Oh, we have a bot. Or at least I do. Dog, here. Say hi."

The robopug stands up from where it has been sleeping in a corner, and walks over near Ethan. "Hello, I am a Mars class robopet, dog type, with built in GPS and computational capability, wireless NAR standard radio for internet and voice communication capabilities. I am complete with organic skin for easy care."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

"Is the bot clean? I can check." He looks at the dog warily and then goes back to the door.

Going back to business, he uses his lockpicks to easily open the door. The door swings open, revealing its secrets to everyone.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 23, 2012

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Marysville Station

The door opens up. It is dark inside. No toxic smoke or fog leaks out. There is a light switch on the inside of the wall. Turning the light on reveals the interior. The room has been stripped of anything that could be moved. A desk remains in the room (sans its drawers) and there's a safe sitting in the corner. The safe has been left open.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Karima

The doctor peers into the room around Ethan. "How...dull. Not even a phone. Hm. Well, thank you at any rate," she says, before walking back towards the middle of the room. "By the way, it's midnight, if anyone was wondering. That's about all they left in that room."

Karima seems lost in thought for a moment, but then she quickly walks over to the back glass doors and takes a look outside, as it occurs to her it may be the only place no one has really investigated yet.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 23, 2012

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

"Clean?" Morgan looks at the robodog with some amusement. "Its a robot designed to emulate mans companion at every level but biological. I picked it up for... irony. And navigation. And my world had no issues with robots... just Patricians and their toys. This is something that a Plebian household could afford, if they weren't allowed a real pet. Of course, it does have a habit of rolling around in anything it finds interesting, so it might be dirty." The dog looks up and smiles a doggy smile, tail wagging, but makes no response.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla looks quizzically at Karima as she walks towards the back doors. "Only midnight? I would have expected it to be later than that." Wishful thinking, perhaps?

A combination of boredom and wishing to keep her mind off the events of earlier that night, she follows Karima to the doors.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

Moving away from the dog, he looks into the ticket office a bit closer. Double checking every surface he can find. It isn't that he expects to find anything but rather finds the absence of anything.

He turns to the dog still walking toward him and stops saying "STOP DOG" speaking slowly and clearly. He looks at the owner with a cocked head and looks to the others.

"This room seems defensible, places to hide, not sure the walls could take much attack. Also, how sure are you that this dog is clean? I can take a look over it, as long as it has a smart bot, I should be able to look inside it. Changelings could take it over, if they wanted too. Then we have a bomb that will stealthily inject us with poison or, just explode."

He wanders around a bit looking up and down everything, before settling on the vending machines. "I assume we are rationing these?" He says pointing to them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mayla turns to Ethan and glances over at the colourful boxes that Ethan is pointing at.

"I don't understand. Rationing what?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

"Food. You don't ration we all starve, and I'd rather not starve." He points to the vending machine and looks in the lock trying to determine its difficulty. He looks them over and they don't look old or tainted at the very least. He puts his lockpicks back in his pack. He turns to look the other parts of the small station and sit on a bench.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"That's not food. I don't even get a scent off of it!" Humans, no matter where they are from, seem to have many strange things to say. Especially this one.

Shaking her head, Mayla continues to follow Karima.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Morgan

"I'm not too worried about the dog getting dangerous. Worst it could do is bite me, and I'm don't feel to threatened by that. On my world, the dangerous things were biological creations designed specifically to hunt and kill. But I don't think anything has followed any of us... if something has, that thing in the fog would have killed them."

Morgan seems almost amused by this man who was terrified of robots, more reaction than he had shown with anyone else.

"I know what its like to be hunted, to fear for your existence, knowing that you will be killed, or worse, if you are caught. The dog? The dog I will trust. It is innocent, it knows how to be a dog, and how to do a few simple tasks. Its a... reminder, to me."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

"Thats how you know it is still good. If it is watery or has a bad smell don't eat it. Radio Free Earth knew how to keep someone alive. You eat whatever you want. I'm not going to stop you, but it is safe to say that I at least can eat it." He turns and walks away not waiting for a reply.

He turns toward the pretty boy and nods "I heard down south they have green humans being created. Nasty, VIRUS didn't say anymore about them, but then with Mexico City in the way? Who could say." He shivers at the thought of the absolute wasteland where even the ground was full of nanobots trying to eat you.

"Hunted? I was hunted when I was born. I have been a crazyhorse since I was allowed to be. Only reason I'm alive today, is that the AIs don't consider us enough of a threat to focus on. Though they might. Mexico City did... there is nothing left. No grass, no trees, no fungus, no bacteria, so I'd say I'm drat lucky to be hunted. I tried to go south cause I thought Vancouver was bad... I didn't know. The alternative..." He drifts off and focuses on the task at hand.

"This has running water even? Insane." He looks around at the overly bright clean room, and considers this one of the best places he has lived in his entire life. He then pushes open the mens restroom. Time to clean up and get some water.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Astra

The space woman shifts her weight awkwardly, crossing her arms and then uncrossing them. "Miss...uh....Virginia?" she says to Phoebe. "I'm starting to think you might be right. I don't think we're all insane. I don't /feel/ insane," she points out.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"St. Clair," Phoebe says. "Phoebe St. Clair. Glad to see you're coming around... there's too much going on here to sweep it all away by saying 'oh, it's not a problem, it's just straight dervery.' Never thought I'd be figuring that travel between worlds was the simplest explanation, though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Ethan

Turning on his rifle, he checks all the stalls methodically, under and over, also all the vents. Though nothing appears to be out of order, he still doesn't trust it. Hell, it was the only thing that kept him alive most of the time. He was unsure whether or not he was actually on a different world, or in fact, had stumbled upon some plan to invade the other Zones. He thought the matter over as he religiously started to wash his equipment and himself. He starts thinking of the strange people outside the door.

Tel Aviv Doctor was obvious, appeared religious, she would be one that got into the resistance groups and found out the AI's dirty laundry. Ethan had never been religious, but he had heard of Islam being taken over by an AI on the radio, and knew that it was safer to believe in nothing. Less leverage to control you with. The big bird... well, he didn't exactly know the name, but she seemed to be an uplifted or brought back animal. Caracas, maybe? Berlin is a good possibility too, they were the wild zones, heard weird reports about them. Phoebe that greeted him was obviously a Washington Zone plant. She must have all the lingo down for it, cause he didn't know any Crazyhorse rebel that would talk like that. Astra who had introduced herself in the strange get up. He didn't know much about that tech she had, but maybe Beijing plant? Hard to say, didn't know much about that area. The pretty boy with the dog he didn't know what to think about him. The dog was obviously fancy, and very showy. He didn't know where it came from, but he was going to have to sweep it at one point. If it had any wireless contact with the AIs, it could be infected or have a backhack. It looked like a smart bot too, but he didn't know what its purpose was for. Must be a new zone, he heard Brisbane had strange reports, but he had no clue what purpose it would serve to send him there.

His armor now cleaned and repaired slightly, he looks to himself. His brown hair has a scattering of white hairs in it, and his stumble was getting long for the mask. His grey eyes staring back at himself, and over his shoulder before he gets out his dagger, and starts shaving his face, his thoughts drift to the group again.

The one that didn't consider herself human, obvious Caracas plant. Makes sense since the green humans were normally part animals. For whatever reason this one didn't have the fur though. It was beside the point, makes sense to have a condescending green human. The last was the human in combat gear, looked way to new, also didn't have the normal Washington tags. Maybe London? Doesn't have the accent, but there are a lot of refugees there. As long as you don't bother the bots and get any type of radio, microwave or anything else signal, you can live pretty good.

He finishes shaving, and cleans both his face and knife with a rag he had. He takes off his shirt and checks for any sores or wounds. His chest and back a crisscross of scars and cuts. Before he had been in Virus he had been his enclaves scavenger, when you are 12 and 13 you don't really wear much armor. He snickered at a few of the scars, none of them deep enough to be really dangerous, but drat did they hurt. After shaking off his clothes, he starts cleaning and checking his weapons, and his thoughts to the purpose that he was here for.

It was obvious that he was here to test these models out. They must have seen him hack into the Denver hyperfac and wanted his 'help.' These are all the organics Vancouver had developed for it, and he was invited to come along and help with the other zones. The other worlds comment from Phoebe and the fake newspaper made sense, she was from Washington, she most likely thinks she came from a unrelenting desert in an irradiated wasteland. Washington Zone was all about the bad intel, and this is just more perfectly fitting together. Each 'world' was just going to be a different zone, and they would need his ability to get in, or some intel. Thats fine he would play along with these 'worlds', but he knew the real leverage that they would use against them. They would know that he knew that they knew he knew. They had his family, and while they were going to be sterilized, he could maybe get them out alive if he played along. It was so obvious, that is why Silver Mine was empty, and well, his family being sterilized was both and good and bad thing. At least Carmen, his brother, would be happy.

Finally, he looks down to his armor and dons it after attending to more hygiene that he could using a rag and a bathroom sink. Ethan finishes his cleaning then looks in the mirror. He ruefully pulls the red V off his arm and tosses it in the bin next to the sink. No need for that anymore, not when he is working for the loving tinmen. His brown hair short and ragged against his head, he thinks of shaving it but decides against it for now. Don't think lice will be a problem just yet, this place looks way to clean for that.

Ethan emerges from the bathroom, looking worn but at least refreshed and clean. His mask off, his chaotic hair and gray eyes now visible. His face is dominated by a scar down his cheek, and several knicks and cuts healed along his jawline. His gray eyes are always searching the room. He goes toward the benches and sit down, the clunk of his backpack against the floor resonates through the room.

• Locked thread