Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I saw The Room well after it became A Thing, but I went to the first theater showing at a college town, so most people went in blind. The theater also banned the dumb spoon throwing..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

It might just be because of the first two guests, but that Har Mar Superstar show stinks.

What? Ellen Page is awesome.

I didn't listen to the first ep but the Ellen Page one is good, entirely because of Ellen Page - Har Mar is meh as a host.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I think our own DocEvil is on The Fogelnest Files files today?

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Conduit for Sale! posted:

What? Ellen Page is awesome.

I didn't listen to the first ep but the Ellen Page one is good, entirely because of Ellen Page - Har Mar is meh as a host.

I haven't listened yet because I found Har Mar just unlistenable on the first one, but I do love Ellen Page so I might give it a shot just for her.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

jyrka posted:

I think our own DocEvil is on The Fogelnest Files files today?

Ohhhh I think you mean twitter user @fart.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doesn't the intern/personal assistant job being advertised at the head of the latest Prof Blastoff sound like a ridiculous load of work to be asked to do for free?

I dunno. I don't think we have much of an unpayed intern culture here in NZ.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 26, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Teenage Fansub posted:

Doesn't the intern/personal assistant job being advertised at the head of the latest Prof Blastoff sound like a ridiculous load of work to be asked to do for free?

Yes, but for a young aspiring comedian/actor looking to make some connections, it could be a good opportunity.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Politicalrancor posted:

Ohhhh I think you mean twitter user @fart.

I've listened to it like three times, I loving love Danzig Reads Books and that Buddy Rich clip.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno. I don't think we have much of an unpayed intern culture here in NZ.

Hollywood and any industry (podcast) remotely connected to the entertainment industry runs on unpaid interns. It's illegal under USA labor laws, but it's unenforced and it's been that way for decades.

It's putting in your dues and hoping you meet the right people, get noticed, show you have some worth.

(oh and shhhhhh they're unpaid so they can keep people of unwanted classes out of the industry and keep it incestual shhhh don't tell nobody)

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Hollywood and any industry (podcast) remotely connected to the entertainment industry runs on unpaid interns. It's illegal under USA labor laws, but it's unenforced and it's been that way for decades.

It's putting in your dues and hoping you meet the right people, get noticed, show you have some worth.

(oh and shhhhhh they're unpaid so they can keep people of unwanted classes out of the industry and keep it incestual shhhh don't tell nobody)

There is a pretty important law suit pending about exactly this, and apparently soon the free ride is going to be over.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Politicalrancor posted:

There is a pretty important law suit pending about exactly this, and apparently soon the free ride is going to be over.

Can you go into more detail about this? My girlfriend just finished grad school and is sick of all of the unpaid internship crap she's seeing around.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Lord Wexia posted:

Can you go into more detail about this? My girlfriend just finished grad school and is sick of all of the unpaid internship crap she's seeing around.

This is what I found about it: http://moneyland.time.com/2012/05/02/the-beginning-of-the-end-of-the-unpaid-internship-as-we-know-it/

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

this mentions the black swan class action case and then there is another one I think, im having trouble recalling at the moment.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Don't be so certain that unpaid internships will end. This will shock no one, but movie studios have very, very, very good lawyers. I'm currently one of those unpaid interns so I hope the Black Swan interns win, but I'm not holding my breath.

And unfortunately even if they win, like Curt Flood (MLB player who sued to become a free agent) they will be blackballed and never work in this town again.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

they will be blackballed and never work in this town again.

I hear there are other towns to work in where they pay you for your labor.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Don't be so certain that unpaid internships will end. This will shock no one, but movie studios have very, very, very good lawyers. I'm currently one of those unpaid interns so I hope the Black Swan interns win, but I'm not holding my breath.

And unfortunately even if they win, like Curt Flood (MLB player who sued to become a free agent) they will be blackballed and never work in this town again.

lol. FYI, a league with 24 owners colludes much easier than a far reaching, competitive industry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Woohoo! Gelmania Live!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Whoa, new layout for Earwolf. I like it. And I'll actually be listening to Shortwave this week. Also another new podcast, but I think I'll be skipping as I'm no fan of Howard Kremer.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Seth Godin on Earwolf. Still having a hard time understanding that one.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
He's the guy responsible for online opt-in advertising, right? The "click here to receive e-mails about blahblah" checkboxes?

I wonder what Godin's opinion is of all of those Pepsi ads.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
Oh, you mean Pepsi Next? I've been so thirsty, lately, without my daily Audio Taste Test. :suicide:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Coco13 posted:

Scott's non-comedic passion is music so in this new block he produced Shortwave. I guess this is Jeff Ullrich's in turn, cept doing business isn't nearly as relatable.
I do listen Love Dad without any plans for that poo poo, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 2, 2012

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

plastered quack posted:

I wonder what Godin's opinion is of all of those Pepsi ads.
Did Scott write the ad spot for the Pepsi ad, by the way? He sure does like using the phrase "Ear-hole," even before those spots showed up.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Did Scott write the ad spot for the Pepsi ad, by the way? He sure does like using the phrase "Ear-hole," even before those spots showed up.

Here's my evidence that he didn't write them: Scott Aukerman is a really funny guy, even in the commercial spots he records.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Here's my evidence that he didn't write them: Scott Aukerman is a really funny guy, even in the commercial spots he records.

Scott has written for the MTV Movie Awards. He doesn't always put in the A+ effort.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Scott has written for the MTV Movie Awards. He doesn't always put in the A+ effort.

Meester Wayne is one of the all time great award show banter jokes.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
My theory is that the ad agency hack listened to half of one episode of CBB, heard the word "earholes," and said "Oh, I get it, monkey cheese lol random males 18-35." Presumably just after writing a totally epic Stride ad for AV Club and sucking a million cocks.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Groucho Marxist posted:

Meester Wayne is one of the all time great award show banter jokes.

I'm still conflicted on whether the Chris Pine Tree and Anna Faris Wheel one wraps around into being so absurd it's funny.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Lemmi Caution posted:

My theory is that the ad agency hack listened to half of one episode of CBB, heard the word "earholes," and said "Oh, I get it, monkey cheese lol random males 18-35." Presumably just after writing a totally epic Stride ad for AV Club and sucking a million cocks.

"POP!" says the Pepsi Next can

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
If I'm honest with myself and you, I kinda liked the pepsi next ads. I preferred them to stamps and audible, I can't think of any other ads off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure if you listen to the old CDR episodes now there are obnoxiously placed audible ads which are twice as loud as the rest of the podcast.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

The daily format for Yo Is this Racist is such a horrid idea that I can barely imagine it lasting seven days before switching into a weekly compilation of questions with a guest to chat. As it stands so far the two episodes they've put out could cut their runtime to five seconds of "uh, yeah"—which is basically what they already are, plus four-odd minutes for an ad, a plug, the intro/outro and The Wolf Dead.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
They should have Gelman write and record all of the ads for every Earwolf show.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

How is Yo Is This Racist? so bad? It's the easiest podcast concept in the world, if we're judging it on how effortless comedy should come from it. But the host put as much effort into as I do deciding what shoes I should wear.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

How is Yo Is This Racist? so bad? It's the easiest podcast concept in the world, if we're judging it on how effortless comedy should come from it. But the host put as much effort into as I do deciding what shoes I should wear.

Also Howard Kremer.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Hey, so um Tig Notaro is all healed now? None of you thought to bring that up? :mad: Congrats Tig! SA loves you!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Coco13 posted:

Godin has a massive audience in the tech worker and marketing world. His show will likely be the most downloaded on Earwolf or at least close to CBB. Plus it makes a lot of sense to bring in someone who will attract an audience to the site outside of the comedy nerd crowd that's the audience for their other shows.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

UP AND ADAM posted:

Hey, so um Tig Notaro is all healed now? None of you thought to bring that up? :mad: Congrats Tig! SA loves you!

Weird. Just the other day I heard the preview of the Dealing With Illness episode of This American Life that's coming next week featuring Tig and it didn't give any impression of overcoming.
I wonder how quickly they recorded this Prof Blastoff ep and got it up.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Another really bad ep today. To be honest both the host and Howard don't seem to be the biggest brainboxes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
So, I've listened to a couple Fogelnest Files episodes now and I don't think I like it. It's a good idea, and would be really fun live, but it doesn't work as a podcast unless it's more a multimedia piece--watching the videos at your computer while listening--but it's hit and miss when you have it on your iPod. Also, Jake Fogelnest is hella-annoying.

That being said, with this latest episode I want to take back any negative things I may have said about Horatio Sanz when he was on SNL. He's a really funny dude and between this and his Improv4Humans episodes I want to see him in Earwolf podcasts regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LesterGroans posted:

So, I've listened to a couple Fogelnest Files episodes now and I don't think I like it. It's a good idea, and would be really fun live, but it doesn't work as a podcast unless it's more a multimedia piece--watching the videos at your computer while listening--but it's hit and miss when you have it on your iPod. Also, Jake Fogelnest is hella-annoying.

I like it, but I'm usually familiar with most of the clips he plays. Also I don't find Fogelnest that annoying, but I don't think he's an amazing host or anything.