Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Subtitles On was fun but definitely a limited premise, as Sean himself admitted in the later episodes. It turns out screenwriters aren't quite as self-indulgent as we tend to believe (or more accurately, there aren't that many producers willing to humor them.) Sean always had a weird energy on the show...like he was being sincere for the first time and didn't think people would actually believe it.

I'm enjoying Foozballz. It's another "Naming Players" show but I play fantasy and I know most of the names (and my fantasy team has some player overlaps with the hosts' so I get to hear them share some of my 1-6 pain)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah i loved SO. it's really good to hear Sean talk often wholly unironically about something he is an actual expert about, he's an extremely smart and compelling guy

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

JethroMcB posted:

Subtitles On was fun but definitely a limited premise, as Sean himself admitted in the later episodes. It turns out screenwriters aren't quite as self-indulgent as we tend to believe (or more accurately, there aren't that many producers willing to humor them.) Sean always had a weird energy on the show...like he was being sincere for the first time and didn't think people would actually believe it.

I'm enjoying Foozballz. It's another "Naming Players" show but I play fantasy and I know most of the names (and my fantasy team has some player overlaps with the hosts' so I get to hear them share some of my 1-6 pain)

Meh. He could have expanded the premise to cover a wider range of movies. Hoping that he'll find a path to doing the occasional episode.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Sean should watch and review grown ups 2 every week for a year.

That's never been done before

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey Randy is somehow even better with the occasional guest. Dan's flatliners joke got me good.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Hey Randy is somehow even better with the occasional guest. Dan's flatliners joke got me good.

It's become my only immediate listen podcast, every episode is just fantastic.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

:siren: incoming alert for all you old slobs :siren:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Bought the new season as soon as I saw it was available but haven't given it a listen yet. I was surprised to realize how long it had been since the last proper TL release.

I've been listening to Holidays at the Mall to get into the spirit of the season, and Drew as a boy trying to talk his family into killing their youth league football coach so they can "do what granddad couldn't do" is a special kind of manic Drew nonsense. "I feel like GRANDDAD! I'm feelin' CRAZY!"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
New Teacher's Lounge is always a pleasant surprise.

Fortunately Dan Lippert is always doing good stuff with CBB World.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
newcomers is so funny. lapkus is trying her damnedest to enjoy these mediocre nerd franchises and nicole byer just straight up doesnt care, and they both have the attention spans of rodents. this week nicole talked about how she fell asleep multiple times trying to watch batman mask of the phantasm - an 80 minute movie. im so excited to hear them rave about the schumacher batmans to the amazement of future guests

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
You just know that the whole reason they did Batman this season was so Nicole can talk about how much she loved/found hilarious Robert Pattinson's Batman and I agree and am so looking forward to that ep.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I totally thought they were tackling Phantasm then, and I would be so loving down with that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I totally thought they were tackling Phantasm then, and I would be so loving down with that.

i dont think theres room for a whole season of the phantasm movies but it would be pretty funny to hear nicole byer’s insane takes on them. i swear shes the dumbest podcaster working

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Hearing them both complain loudly about Batman '66 being like fifteen minutes past the standard 90 minute runtime was really funny, given what's coming

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I recently caught up with Newcomers and it's generally a blast. My only issue is when they get into a place of nothing but hate, I've always gotta turn those episodes off. I like when they attempt to engage and try to find things to like, even if in the end they hated it. They generally manage to, but occasionally I just feel like I'm sitting there listening to someone being actively miserable and I can't get into that, which is admittedly a me problem.

I just think back to the Worst Idea of All Time podcast where they watched Grown Ups 2 every week for a year. By the end they were still were game to attempt engagement, even when they were at their lowest and had the hardest time with it. But I guess maybe that's just comparing apples to oranges.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I think I'm done with With Gourley and Rust for a while. The whole last year felt weirdly perfunctory and barely there, and it hasn't locked in for me so far this season either.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

On a recent Actionboyz when they went on a 15 minute tangent about fiber and taking shits, it finally made it click that when Gabrus makes jokes about making diarrhea all the time, it wasn't just a bit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love Gourley and Rust just chatting and hanging out, because they have delightful chemistry, but I don't love listening to an episode that's entirely about a movie I haven't seen or don't care about. A lot of their movies for the past few months just haven't been my bag, and it's a bummer. I wish they did something like the Andy Daly podcast where they rotated out Standard Episode/Hangout Episode/Experimental Episode so that my engagement wasn't so dependent on my interest in the film. The mailbag episodes are basically hangout episodes, but they're about a month apart.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

rollick posted:

I think I'm done with With Gourley and Rust for a while. The whole last year felt weirdly perfunctory and barely there, and it hasn't locked in for me so far this season either.

I bailed during Chucky when it was clear the magic was fading. I dipped into the Final Destination episodes but it felt, like you said, perfunctory. Love those guys, but it feels pretty rote.
edit: I thought the first round of Yuppie Nightmares was great. They should have just fully leaned into that instead of chasing franchises they don’t actually like.

The only movie podcast I’m still loyal to is Action Boyz, and every movie is worth watching. Except that’s harder to schedule every week for me these days.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 5, 2024

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I sub to Sloppy Boys, Action Boyz and Doughboys, alternating between each one so a backlog of the patreon episdes can grow until I'm ready to cultivate. Now it's feeling like the Neighbourhood Listen might be coming up there.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hollywood Handbook is the only one I'm still subscribed to but I'm probably only listening every other week now and I don't really bother with TFO/the pro version etc anymore

I really liked With Gourley and Rust but I fell way behind and got burned out when I reached all the shark movies

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I bailed during Chucky when it was clear the magic was fading. I dipped into the Final Destination episodes but it felt, like you said, perfunctory. Love those guys, but it feels pretty rote.
edit: I thought the first round of Yuppie Nightmares was great. They should have just fully leaned into that instead of chasing franchises they don’t actually like.

The only movie podcast I’m still loyal to is Action Boyz, and every movie is worth watching. Except that’s harder to schedule every week for me these days.

It’s still pretty good when it’s something one of them really likes like a De Palma movie or something, but I know what you mean. I’ll only listen to episodes about movies I’ve seen though, and apparently I just don’t have the appetite for erotic thrillers and lifetimey stuff that they do so I skipped a bunch of Yuppie Nightmares round 2. Glad it finally made me see After Hours though, that alone was worth it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I still listen to Gourley and Rust, and it's the only podcast where I watch the films before listening, but it has lost its spark.

Also, I have had the Manhunter episode sitting since it was released a few weeks ago, and despite having already seen this film (but want to rewatch), I haven't listened yet. Whereas, in the past, I would be listening over the weekend it was released.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
The sense I got over the past year of listening is that Gourley has a lot going on in his personal and professional life and might have shelved it by now if it was just his project (rip I Was There Too).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

rollick posted:

The sense I got over the past year of listening is that Gourley has a lot going on in his personal and professional life and might have shelved it by now if it was just his project (rip I Was There Too).

I totally understand that. It also never needed to be a weekly series. Doing two "seasons" a year, a Spring Fling series and an October series, with a dozen episodes each is plenty for their format.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I bet they feel locked into generating a bunch of content now that they have a good amount of patrons

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rust's vibe has gotten increasingly grating as the show has gone on. Gourley just seems like he's got a lot of poo poo going on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There's should be a moratorium on them saying "cozy" for a year, at the very least.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

There's should be a moratorium on them saying "cozy" for a year, at the very least.

"Cozy" should be given an unceremonious execution. I'm so sick of every gosh-darn thing that's mildly comforting getting that label.

Oh yeah as long as I'm posting in the Earwolf Adjacent Thread, this recent Teacher's Lounge season was good. I have thought about Not Bald Roger and his "Puff is Muscle, Not Alcoholism" seminar a lot over the last couple of months.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I totally understand that. It also never needed to be a weekly series. Doing two "seasons" a year, a Spring Fling series and an October series, with a dozen episodes each is plenty for their format.

Drunkboxer posted:

I bet they feel locked into generating a bunch of content now that they have a good amount of patrons

Agree with both of these. If it was 10 episodes twice a year it'd go down so much better, but there's no way to square that with the demands of subscriber content.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Both parties gotta get on Hollywood handbook to squash this beef https://x.com/variety/status/1757436740602610093?s=46&t=SXDOUM5lPPvZwsTORT6VFQ

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

0konner posted:

Both parties gotta get on Hollywood handbook to squash this beef https://x.com/variety/status/1757436740602610093?s=46&t=SXDOUM5lPPvZwsTORT6VFQ

I read "Tears in her eyes" and immediately started hearing the rest of the quote in Action Boyz Trump voices.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

JethroMcB posted:

I read "Tears in her eyes" and immediately started hearing the rest of the quote in Action Boyz Big Jon voices.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

I read "Tears in her eyes" and immediately started hearing the rest of the quote in Action Boyz Trump voices.

These navy seals come up to me, tears in their eyes, saying "Thank you Mr. Trump."

/Rogers' Trump impression

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Speaking of Action Boyz.

Anyone else feel that Gabrus kinda needs to inject some Gino Lombardi into himself? It's like that extra confidence to be loud and abrasive would really help him since he so often seems unsure of his own bits and half-bails on them a few seconds in. Usually by faking some very unconvicing laughter or something. To say nothing of when he gets overly sensitive about the ribbing the other hosts give him for his opinions, though he has gotten much better about this part at least since the beginning of the podcast.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Offler posted:

Speaking of Action Boyz.

Anyone else feel that Gabrus kinda needs to inject some Gino Lombardi into himself? It's like that extra confidence to be loud and abrasive would really help him since he so often seems unsure of his own bits and half-bails on them a few seconds in. Usually by faking some very unconvicing laughter or something. To say nothing of when he gets overly sensitive about the ribbing the other hosts give him for his opinions, though he has gotten much better about this part at least since the beginning of the podcast.

I think the character of Gino helps cover for some cancel-able expressions he wouldn’t want to make on a non-character show.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Offler posted:

Speaking of Action Boyz.

No. I think the podcast is in a great place.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Offler posted:

Speaking of Action Boyz.

Anyone else feel that Gabrus kinda needs to inject some Gino Lombardi into himself? It's like that extra confidence to be loud and abrasive would really help him since he so often seems unsure of his own bits and half-bails on them a few seconds in. Usually by faking some very unconvicing laughter or something.

I would agree, once I noticed the fake laughter (after however many hundreds of hours of listening) I realized how prevalent it is. It's like if he doesn't get an immediate reaction after floating a bit or making an observation, he defaults to that half-chuckle as an "I didn't actually mean that" defense mechanism. So strange to hear him go from being a force of nature on CBB etc. to a more timid voice on his own show.

She's a snappah, huh, Johnny?

Joim. The Symndicate.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Something he does a fair bit is when he's struggling to finish his thought or sentence he'll start fake laughing so hard that he can't get the words out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Something he does a fair bit is when he's struggling to finish his thought or sentence he'll start fake laughing so hard that he can't get the words out.

It's just so weird that the guy that can dominate the room like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxTRIbAxVM

when he's in his Gino persona can have the problem that he's a bit too timid.

edid: I appear to have clicked quote on the latest post instead of post