Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
theres a huge difference to a comic between hosting a show and guesting a show. pretty much every comic i know is funnier when all they have to do is be funny. nobody likes MCing and if they do then theyre probably a lovely comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Gabrus and Rogers have been doing comedy together for over 20 years, and are very deferential to each other. Rogers is basically the lead of ABZ, with curating the movies, taking notes, and leading the conversation and course-correcting. I think Gabrus is just self aware that he's the loudest in the room and is more willing to take a step back, especially if his bit loses steam fast.

Also, there's a difference between "fake laughing" and polite defensive laughing, which is what Gabrus does, and makes sense if you've listened to him talk about his insecurities for even a few minutes. It can be distracting, I guess, but an overwhelming amount of podcasters laugh defensively, especially in video game podcasts where the hosts aren't established performers/actors, so to me that's just a podcaster thing nowadays.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
My least favorite gabrus bit from a recent ep was him talking about Kamala Harris being in an isolation chamber when I’m pretty sure she’s been doing plenty of campaigning just not at events aimed at elder millennial LA stoners.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

0konner posted:

My least favorite gabrus bit from a recent ep was him talking about Kamala Harris being in an isolation chamber when I’m pretty sure she’s been doing plenty of campaigning just not at events aimed at elder millennial LA stoners.

It makes me laugh cuz Rogers (someone who obviously listens to NPR and/or watches the evening news like an old man and sees whatever silly Veep thing she's doing today) doesn't really join in.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Well I mean less ‘silly veep things’ and more events that will hopefully make a difference in Trump not being returned to office but yeah sure.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
It felt to me like Gabrus doesn't want to steamroll his friends but he's there to steamroll in CBB. Like that's the character.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Von Linus posted:

It felt to me like Gabrus doesn't want to steamroll his friends but he's there to steamroll in CBB. Like that's the character.

Similarly, depending on podcast, he'll steamroll as a guest elsewhere. When cohosting raised by TV, he was not there to steamroll Lauren Lapkus. When brought onto Doughboys, his role is to be both self-deprecating as well as the schoolyard roast bully for the Doughboys. This also makes him good for live shows where he's willing to roll Mitch and Nick as well as be more rude to the audience than either of the hosts are willing to be.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Earwolf Thread: The Analysis and Deconstruction of Gabrus

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Smh lesser analysis than the Wendigabrus theory

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
best episode of newcomers so far. hayes saying that the joker is called jokerman in the comics and nicole byer uncritically accepting it as true

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
A weird thing for me personally was that I couldn't hear the difference between Stanger and Rogers for over 100 episodes. Now I know who's speaking by the first syllable either of them utters, which is why it feels so strange knowing that I used to have to rely on context clues for which non-Gabrus actionboy was currently talking.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Offler posted:

A weird thing for me personally was that I couldn't hear the difference between Stanger and Rogers for over 100 episodes. Now I know who's speaking by the first syllable either of them utters, which is why it feels so strange knowing that I used to have to rely on context clues for which non-Gabrus actionboy was currently talking.

They definitely have similar registers, took me a while to differentiate between them as well. Here's a handy guide for new listeners:

RODGERS - misanthrope, contrarian
STANGER - "Do you guys know [universally beloved thing]? Do you...do you guys like that"

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I was convinced Rodgers was playing Gerald on Hey Randy and it really shook me to the core to find it’s not him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rodgers talks with a more North Eastern accent and has a slightly deeper voice, and Stanger is the one that needs to clear out his goddamn throat before he speaks into a microphone, big guy.

JethroMcB posted:

They definitely have similar registers, took me a while to differentiate between them as well. Here's a handy guide for new listeners:

RODGERS - misanthrope, contrarian
STANGER - "Do you guys know [universally beloved thing]? Do you...do you guys like that"

"Do you guys know the Hokey Pokey? Is that a thing anymore??" is peak Stanger question.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Franchescanado posted:

"Do you guys know the Hokey Pokey? Is that a thing anymore??" is peak Stanger question.

I'm a fan of any time he asks about whatever characters are eating in the movie and immediately reveals his weird relationship with food. Really enjoyed Rodgers calling it out recently; "Hey man, that's all you. I will eat a sandwich, and have, recently."

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer’s total inability to absorb information from a movie is insane.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Do you think they absorbed any of the TikTok videos they were watching while the movie played in the background

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Lauren Lapkus and Nicole Byer’s total inability to absorb information from a movie is insane.

its so funny. the scott aukerman batman vs superman extended 4 hour cut episode foreshadowed on lapkus’ recent scott hasnt seen episode is going to be incredible

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Lapkus was just on Scott Hasn't Seen, covering Before Sunset, and she's pretty on-point for everything. She has notes, insights, and asked a few good prompts for discussion. So it's not like she can't absorb any movie, she just doesn't care about anything she's watched for her own podcast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
With Newcomers, I really go through waves of loving how little they care, followed by waves of being annoyed and frustrated with it. I mean, I get it—if I had to watch a bunch of movies I wasn't into then I'd look at my phone a bunch, too. But I also wouldn't expect anyone to listen to my opinions about that movie afterward.

To me, commitment to a bit or premise is really necessary to want to give something my time. Bonanas for Bonanza is far more the ideal balance to me—Matt and Andy clearly think Bonanza is terrible, but they have fun with that and celebrate it rather than disengage with it and talk about how bored they were by it. They constantly find things to love, get interested in, or be amused by, despite the show's best efforts.

To me Newcomers works best when the guest is super invested in the movie and Lauren and Nicole are open to understanding where their enthusiasm comes from. Ultimately the podcast is probably just not for me, but when I can click in with it I have a lot of fun.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 21, 2024

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They liked all the Tyler Perry stuff they watched though, yeah? (I didn't listen, I dropped it during their first season.) Maybe they should just reboot it to watch corny poo poo they like. Lifetime movies, Hallmark movies, Tyler Perry-level character dramas, RomComs, etc.

It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I have more fun listening to people make fun of and joke about bad things they like, rather than listening to people try and like things they don't. I may not go out of my way to watch Santa Baby just cuz they cover it, but I'd still maybe give it a listen to hear their thoughts on it.

ActionBoyz range from masterpieces to bottom-of-the-barrel schlock, but there's never a pretension outside of their actual takes, and they aren't trying to watch stuff they aren't interested in. Samurai Cop is fun, Silence of the Lambs is fun, and something middling like Kiss The Girls or The Net is still entertaining to hear them discuss because there's stuff to love and hate. And it gets me to watch pretty much everything they pick.

Scott Hasn't Seen works for me because even though Scott's tastes lean a little pretentious (not a big deal, so do mine) and he's hard to please, he's at least interested in watching everything they pick, even if he thinks he won't like it.

I enjoyed How Did This Get Played when it was about bad games, but then the crew got exhausted with the premise and it's just not as fun listening to people I like get bummed out or bored every single week just because they have to play Balan Wonderworld. Now that they're free to just discuss games and game culture, it's a better show.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Finally got around to Alimony Tony's Valimony Showny 2024, still as great as last year. I'm starting to think Mitra Jouhari might be as much of a chaos gremlin as Lisa Gilroy.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
She’s great. I really miss Urgent Care.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The best thing about Scott Hasn't Seen is having no idea if he liked it or hated it until the very end. My only issue with that show is that I can only get invested if I've seen the movie, and all the movies I've seen that Scott hasn't were taken earlier in the show's run. And most of the movies that he hasn't seen lately, I'm not particularly interested in watching.

I don't know how extensive his list is, but instead of giving his guests a list of movies he hasn't seen, I wish he would give them a list of movies he has seen and they can pick something that's not on it. I'd much rather hear Scott's opinion on Hell Comes to Frogtown than on Fame. But maybe it's pre-curated so he doesn't have to sit through stuff he'll probably hate.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

The best thing about Scott Hasn't Seen is having no idea if he liked it or hated it until the very end. My only issue with that show is that I can only get invested if I've seen the movie, and all the movies I've seen that Scott hasn't were taken earlier in the show's run. And most of the movies that he hasn't seen lately, I'm not particularly interested in watching.

I don't know how extensive his list is, but instead of giving his guests a list of movies he hasn't seen, I wish he would give them a list of movies he has seen and they can pick something that's not on it. I'd much rather hear Scott's opinion on Hell Comes to Frogtown than on Fame. But maybe it's pre-curated so he doesn't have to sit through stuff he'll probably hate.

I'm pretty sure guests are allowed to suggest movies that aren't on the list, as long as they give them enough notice. The October episode for Brainscan wasn't on Scott's list, the guest suggested it. I think the same with Garbage Pail Kids Movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

They liked all the Tyler Perry stuff they watched though, yeah? (I didn't listen, I dropped it during their first season.) Maybe they should just reboot it to watch corny poo poo they like. Lifetime movies, Hallmark movies, Tyler Perry-level character dramas, RomComs, etc.

The Tyler Perry season and the Fast and the Furious season they were both really into (well, Nicole was the only one for F&F). I feel like they may have liked the Marvel stuff, too? I didn't make it through that season. And even the Star Wars season they kind of liked. But even when it came to the Lord of the Rings/Hobbit season which was a real tough slog, they still had the ability to absorb some basic things. I don't know what happened with this latest season but it seems like they're just having a miserable time. They must each have better things to do with their time than read the Wikipedia articles for movies they haven't watched. I really enjoyed (most) of Newcomers before this, but I couldn't take more than a few of the Batman episodes.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
scott hasnt seen is an amazing podcast because sure, scott is deranged, but he still has good taste and understands the craft of filmmaking, plus he seems to really enjoy making the podcast. it has a very professional tone.
NEWCOMERS, on the other hand, is amazing for the opposite reason. byers and lapkus are like consummate unprofessionals. every episode starts with the entire audio track for the trailer of the movie they watched. they just read a wiki summary and nervously try to avoid insulting their guest’s taste. its so funny

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

scott hasnt seen is an amazing podcast because sure, scott is deranged, but he still has good taste and understands the craft of filmmaking, plus he seems to really enjoy making the podcast. it has a very professional tone.
NEWCOMERS, on the other hand, is amazing for the opposite reason. byers and lapkus are like consummate unprofessionals. every episode starts with the entire audio track for the trailer of the movie they watched. they just read a wiki summary and nervously try to avoid insulting their guest’s taste. its so funny

yeah i agree on both counts, even when scott actively hates something he's unable to turn off the part of his brain that pays a ton of attention and obsessively deconstructs the script and its choices.

see also his freakish memory for when he saw every movie and what theater it was in throughout seemingly his entire life

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 22, 2024

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

listened to the most recent newcomers because the boys were on and it ruled ("the most iconic villain....MR. LAU") but i cannot imagine listening on a regular basis

scary ghost dog posted:

best episode of newcomers so far. hayes saying that the joker is called jokerman in the comics and nicole byer uncritically accepting it as true

"jokerman grew up in new york and MOVED to gotham"

"oh, wow"

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

And even the Star Wars season they kind of liked.

I'm surprised to hear that because it started off really rough. The first episode is a commentary ep where they're watching it for the first time while doing a podcast about it. So they miss everything because they're talking over it. Terrible idea. The second episode was done in a more sensible way, but it's revealed early on that they didn't really even watch the movie and were on their phones the whole time. I bailed at that point.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Unfortunately them being unable to watch a movie without being on their phones the whole time doesn’t really go away.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Nicole: "It's funny that Superman arrives on Earth and is like, 'I'll defend it.' I would just go back home."
Jason: "It's blown up. He can't go home."
Nicole: *loud, earnest gasp*

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
ABZ has spoiled me on any other movie pod besides maybe just Blank Check. However, I don't care about 70% of the poo poo Blank Check covers, whereas I am 100% down with anything ABZ does.

Even on the episodes where Gabrus does the summary and it sounds like he is barely making it through an 7th grade English class presentation, it is still amazing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

jeeves posted:

Even on the episodes where Gabrus does the summary and it sounds like he is barely making it through an 7th grade English class presentation, it is still amazing.

Gabrus recaps are him transcribing the dialogue as fast as he can without pausing the movie, and then his personal notes are like "Warehouse shoot-out is awesome" or "everybody looks jacked as hell, it's awsome."

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

JethroMcB posted:

Gabrus recaps are him transcribing the dialogue as fast as he can without pausing the movie, and then his personal notes are like "Warehouse shoot-out is awesome" or "everybody looks jacked as hell, it's awsome."

Don’t forget assessing which women are “total smoke shows”

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Gabrus rules

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
ABZ is the special sauce mix of all three. You can’t have the pod without random sprinkles of Gabrus’ Big John wisdom or stories of activating whale mode by trying to poo poo so hard you hit a ceiling fan. I totally get why Rodgers decided to break up notes duty due to his Se7en-style insane note taking, but yeah oh well.

However, I do miss Stangerbot.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

0konner posted:

Both parties gotta get on Hollywood handbook to squash this beef https://x.com/variety/status/1757436740602610093?s=46&t=SXDOUM5lPPvZwsTORT6VFQ

Ayo the goat actor

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only sadness with ABZ is I’ll go into an episode excited because they’re covering a film I really love, then they absolutely hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EL BROMANCE posted:

My only sadness with ABZ is I’ll go into an episode excited because they’re covering a film I really love, then they absolutely hate it.

This happened for me with The Fifth Element; I knew Rodgers would hate it but Stanger and (especially) Gabrus being completely down on it as well was a heartbreaker