Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Um, so I love Ronna & Beverly. I will recommend a few episodes, but they're pretty much all great, even the no-name guests, because Ronna and Beverly have crafted really funny personas. I like the Jeff Garlin one, the Jimmy Pardo one, and the Rob Riggle one. And then watch clips of them on youtube from their live show at UCB, their failed sitcom in America, and their new show in the UK. I hope they're successful!

I like Professor Blastoff a lot too. Tig's cancer and personal troubles are depressing, but Kyle Dunnigan is funny all the dang time. This is some nonsense he does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWKT77wTMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Hey, so um Tig Notaro is all healed now? None of you thought to bring that up? :mad: Congrats Tig! SA loves you!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
New Ronna & Beverly with Tony Hale! Arrested Development fans check it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I popped back into Who Charted for the 100th episode, and it was pretty good. I don't think I'll keep it on my list, but this was a good one. Lots of meta discussion of the show, and PFT alert :siren:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I like Besser just talking off the cuff about things (like the election or his christian summer camp experience), not just in an improv format, so I thought that him and the guests ragging on the intern was pretty great. I thought the improvs were really good too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Zsinjeh posted:

Looks like I'm the minority, but I love Eric the Intern. He's so loving terrible it's hilarious, and makes for some great improv.
Anyway, gay marriage why or why not?

Hey, just informing you that only one person has said they dislike Eric the Intern so you aren't in the minority there.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Whoa! Hi Jeff Ulrich. We like your network.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
They skipped that part anyway. I thought the players were pretty funny, but the introductory adventure part was sort of boring.

edit: I appreciated the Mike Detective and Cyberthug answers! Thank you.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 29, 2012

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I was fine with the bleeps. There were only a few.

I thought it was cool, but a little voyeuristic since the worlds of the live show and podcast rarely intersected (although Scott included bits from the live show every now and then). Comedy Bang Bang (the podcast) sometimes feels like you're listening in to a goofy conversation between funny comedian friends, but the live show sounds like those same people were performing at the peak or boundaries of their craft. So I'm glad it cultivated the amazing comic sensibilities of all these people, but it was a show I never got to see and never will. :'( I'm jealous of those 100 people in LA who got to see the funniest group of living people(?) perform every week!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Heeeey Jeff Ullrich, I hear Ronna and Beverly is your favorite Earwolf podcast. Well, I love it too. Please encourage it in whatever way your position allows you to. I know I should put my money where my podcast desires are, and I promise I will soon...

Hey everyone, the new Ronna & Beverly podcast is live and really good. It features Paul F Tompkins (of course) and two other people (Paget Brewster and Angela from the Office).

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I didn't like the gun debate episode either, and I like the Reality Show Show podcast. I didn't like the circular logic free for all that guy from the internet brought with him (who would have guessed an internet guy would not make for the best debator) and that took up many minutes, but also none of the improvvers seemed to have much of a rapport with Besser. Lots of other people liked it a lot, so I dunno, but I wouldn't start with that one. Go with an Andy Daly episode or that Parham/St. Claire/Mantzoukas one.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
There's only two other guys that sound like Brian Posehn. Then the other two guys sound like each other, oddly.

vvv true

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 18, 2013

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
That sounded like Hot Dog to me. :O

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

kdrudy posted:

I don't get this last part of improv4humans this week, what were they hoping to accomplish by ganging up on this one guy that criticized them?

I don't know! I can't stand when they do that. If their point is that the average person on the internet hasn't thought their comments through and can't defend them convincingly, well no poo poo. It is not funny to listen to.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah. They usually don't focus on the themes too much, but if they do, the funniest people on the podcast don't take it seriously and so are still funny. I think their hit-miss rate is really good, but I haven't relistened to many of them so I don't have a very good grasp on it. Kyle Dunnigan is uniquely funny (Tig too) so I would pursue this, his most frequent comedic outlet as far as I know.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yaay! That's great.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Did anyone listen to the live Reality Show Show today? I keep missing it. I hope they did some funny stuff on this week's Survivor.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The Earwolf app is a piece of crap, but I have an old iPhone like you so maybe it works good on the newer ones.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I think Ronna & Beverly is really funny. They're really good at their personas. Watch some of their stuff on youtube and give them a chance!

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
There's also a Harris Wittels episode, which I don't know how you not listen to it just based on that. I'm not sure why they strike my fancy so much. Maybe it's the super specific and dedicated characters every week that just makes me giggle.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Specifically the ones with the best podcasters- the Dalys, the Bessers, the Tompkinses- are treasured because the comedic prowess of these personalities is manifested in visual physical form as well as aural, and if you don't get to go to comedy or improv shows in major cities you will rarely see the whole package displayed in front of you. That said, I usually don't find time to watch most of the VPN podcasts.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

The episode before last with the end of the battle was so tough to listen to. I wish they'd just wrapped up after the big fight instead of the DM making up deus ex machina off the top of his head urr-ing and um-ing as much as he was describing anything.
Is it typical for resurrections and deities saving everyone in DnD? Brian and Sarah seemed to have no idea why they weren't just dead and over.
I want there to be a new campaign already.

The new D&D version is based more around "balancing" encounters (like a videogame) so that players usually don't die unless it's for mutually agreed upon plot purposes, or very unlikely random circumstance. This usually makes for a more enjoyable experience on the whole, but Brian's group doesn't seem entirely used to this concept so they're still playing like it's an old version with random chance, endless contingencies, and use of deus ex machina to keep games running smoothly (as opposed to the planned game-like artifice of 4e). There are some parts of Nerd Poker that I ilke a lot, and some parts that are boring and make it skippable, compared to other podcasts.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah! It's been good since the beginning, and it was a little looser back then (or at least less planned) which are good conditions for it I think.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I looked on their twitters and didn't see anything about that. It's probably never coming back because the world is uncaring and unjust. But here are some of Sean's tweets that I found ap-PEAL-ing.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, I love them too, although their podcast has gotten a little formulaic, particularly the guest interviews. Whenever there is a window into their "world" with Beverly having committed some awful faux pas at the last Passover or whatever it's great.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Skip your life too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
It's too subtle for some people I guess.

edit: the talent agencies bit was weird but it still had the winning H&S dynamic

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 13, 2013

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Already real good, especially after Folgelnest's weak poo poo last week.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The whole Wompler-verse is one of the best things this podcast has created. I know everyone involved are comedy professionals, but I thought it was great how they all embraced their roles, most of which were made up during ridiculous improv scenes in earlier episodes.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Besser still hasn't lost sight of the show being about improv. Even if there's an earnest (comedically) discussion about bestiality for 15 minutes, a 10 minute improv scene by the best improvisers in the universe is going to follow right after. Definitely don't give that guy an uninhibited mic again though.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
The Womplerverse is the best part of CBB canon anyways.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Good job by whatever intern at Vulture tweeted at Sean, or whatever happened to make this happen. They haven't lost a step.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

Well, he was one of PFT's grandmas back in the CDR Radio days.

This was a funny rear end episode. I want Gelman back too.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

"I mean, I ordered Yellowtail..." Besser's "holy poo poo" said it all.

Yeah, that was insane. I also loved the bit where Mookie was an REI employee. He and Gemberling are great at playing the stressed out, put upon straight man, like in that surf barber shop improv.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Some of the stuff still cracked me to an embarrassing degree on public transportation, but it's easier to appreciate this one as a followup to the first concert-cast, rather than the bizarre gonzo journalism that was the first one.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I can't think of any bad HH episodes, it's probably my favourite podcast that isn't the Andy Daly Podcast Pilot thing. If I was trying to get someone into it I'd probably recommend the Lamorne Morris/Brian Huskey/BJ Novak episodes.

My favorites are Adam Pally, PFT, or the amazing Brian Huskey, agreed, or anyone from Workofholics.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Hollywood Handbook ads are superior to any other podcast.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, Earwolf.

You listening Ulrich?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You know how magazine ads for booze sometimes go the route of "interviewing" a rising country act or mixtape rapper to get their thoughts on inspiration and creativity and blah blah?

Harris is my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This episode is the best.