Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Pimpmust posted:

Reminds me of the writer in ...that movie which name I can't recall right now, where everyone thinks he suffers from a writer's block when in truth he can't stop writing on that one book that's gonna be the sequel to his best seller. When he pulls out an entire drawer with thousands upon thousands of pages I couldn't help but think of WoT :allears:

Wonder Boys? Michael Douglas & Tobey Maguire?

It's interesting though. I'm re-reading the series right now and, IMO, not a lot happens in the first three books. Don't get me wrong, a ton of stuff is set up in those books, but there isn't as much action as I remembered.

TEOTW - The whole book is just the travel from The Two Rivers, to Caemlyn, to Fal Dara & the Blight.

TGH - Fal Dara down to Cairhein then over to Falme.

TDR - From just outside the Mountains of Mist to Tear.

Of course the second & third books do introduce B plots with the Wonder Girls. Once Rand proclaims himself as The Dragon Reborn & takes Callandor things start to become less simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Astrognome posted:

Bude/Guybon/HeironymousAlloy: I don't see why people get so hung up on problems like the exhaustion of natural resources on the planet given the cyclical nature of the Wheel. I think most people are thinking too small scale - think universal, don't just focus on planet Randland. There is no reason that one turn of the wheel can't include the eventual collapse of the universe and it's rebirth in a new big bang. Just need a different dark energy content/cosmological constant than our universe to change it from accelerating expansion to collapse. I always thought of the Ages as something along the lines of Big Bang -> Evolution of modern humans -> Discovery of the One Power -> Drilling the Bore -> Resealing the Dark One -> ?? -> Extinction of humans on through the collapse of the universe. I don't think that anything in the books implies that humans have to be around for every Age. Just my two cents.

Who's to say that humans have to be the champion or even the focus of an age? We know that the Ogier come from elsewhere and debate leaving this realm. We know that the Portal stones offer access to other worlds and at one point Lanfear hints that they visited other planets in the Age of Legends. If the Dark One is imprisoned in one world he is in all. What if the 6th Age has a Dragon who is Ogier? Did Jordan ever state that this would not be possible?

• Locked thread