Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Welp, just got approved for the Amazon.com credit card, so I celebrated by using the $50 gift card I got for signing up to get myself a 2nd core set and a TIE Advanced. 2 core sets and one of each expansion should be plenty for now...although I may want to get a 2nd Y-Wing and 2nd TIE Advanced at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

jivjov posted:

I meant things like equipment cards and whatnot. I know pilots you can only use one of, but as I mentioned, I'm the only one in my friends group that actually wants to buy stuff for the game, so are there any equipment cards that both rebel and imp players may want?
Equipment can also be unique, such as R2-D2 and R5-K6. If it has a bullet point next to the name, only one can be in play at a time.

If you want to see what comes in each sku, http://www.youtube.com/chronoradio shows the contents of each one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bionic posted:

Equipment can also be unique, such as R2-D2 and R5-K6. If it has a bullet point next to the name, only one can be in play at a time.

If you want to see what comes in each sku, http://www.youtube.com/chronoradio shows the contents of each one.

Ahh, I love Nathan's videos. Yeah, his recommendation was what got me to get the game at all.

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
Finally got a chance to play this - I like the system it's fast and lightweight, but does anyone else find the move sticks annoying? Maybe I need to find a better way to organize them (I have 2 starter sets).

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
I've been trying (in vain it seems) to find a way to fit everything into the box without all my tiny plastic ships breaking. I'm starting to think it's a lost cause and I might just go out and buy the container someone posted earlier.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Local players are a bit miffed because they think the game is weighted toward the Rebels. The claim is that the shields and R2 units favor them too much. A counter argument was given that the Empire players need to use more, cheaper ships to take advantage of swarm tactics, but the Rebels still win a lot more often. Has anyone come to the same / opposite conclusion? Tactical tips thus far?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

WerrWaaa posted:

Local players are a bit miffed because they think the game is weighted toward the Rebels. The claim is that the shields and R2 units favor them too much. A counter argument was given that the Empire players need to use more, cheaper ships to take advantage of swarm tactics, but the Rebels still win a lot more often. Has anyone come to the same / opposite conclusion? Tactical tips thus far?

Not tactical tips, but I was only reading a thread on BGG where some people were complaining the Imperials always won!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The trick to TIEs I've found is to barrel roll. Always barrel roll. Barrel roll every TIE every turn. That little shift laterally is fantastic for escaping firing arcs and breaking up the cluster-o-ships that tends to form at the center of the table.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

The trick to TIEs I've found is to barrel roll. Always barrel roll. Barrel roll every TIE every turn. That little shift laterally is fantastic for escaping firing arcs and breaking up the cluster-o-ships that tends to form at the center of the table.

Good thing there was a renowned starfighter tactician who developed the Tallon Roll. :smugdog:

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.

Alberta Cross posted:

I've been trying (in vain it seems) to find a way to fit everything into the box without all my tiny plastic ships breaking. I'm starting to think it's a lost cause and I might just go out and buy the container someone posted earlier.

Just in case anyone wants more pictures of the Plano being awesome:

The rulebook can fit in the outside compartment just fine.

I keep most of the stuff used during a game in the outside compartment.

Ships, cards, and wheels go in the bottom. I used 1/2 inch thick foam to hold and cushion the TIEs and the Y-Wing. The X-Wings are on pegs and bases. Separate compartments for Imp/Rebel cards and base markers, plenty of room for more and bigger ships. The red pieces in the long compartment are extra dividers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I got a question, how stiff is the plastic? I'd be worried about warped TIE Panels and X-wing S-Foils.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I got a question, how stiff is the plastic? I'd be worried about warped TIE Panels and X-wing S-Foils.

They're pretty solid. The panels separating from the struts is more of an issue than the panels warping.

The laser cannons on the xwings are a bit more flimsy than I'd like, but that's pretty unavoidable when they're that small. The s-foils are fine though.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I bought 2 random rear end bead holders at Michaels and divided it up into Empire and Rebels so when I play I can just hand someone a case and theyll have everything they need and ill have everything I need.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
I don't suppose anyone knows the release schedule with the expansions yet..?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alberta Cross posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows the release schedule with the expansions yet..?

I asked my FLGS about it and was told the following:

"Fantasy Flight Games never gives firm release dates...because they would always miss them. Their supply chain through China gets all their stuff hung up in customs or factory problems and international shipping, so a release date would very rarely be accurate. That said, they materials they sent us indicate sometime in Late October will be when FFG gets the new expansions to distributors, so our store should have some a week or so after that."

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Wow, how did I miss this thread?
Since its release, this game has been all my friends and I have been playing.
That y-wing is a MONSTER.

WerrWaaa posted:

I have not! I have only heard people talk about it at length. I work at my FLGS and get lots of monologues about people's favorite games. I was interested in it for a long time but the only starter we had in stock was the Wings of Glory WWII starter, which has four planes for $80 (suck it, people complaining about the price!). Once X-wing came out, and people started talking about it, and playing it every day all the time, I was sold. That being said, it has been lauded for its similarities, and that is why I use Wings of War as the basic comparison in the opening paragraph.

edit: here is a picture of people playing at the store.

Wait, that's my store.

Manifest fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 2, 2012

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Manifest posted:

Wait, that's my store.

What up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One thing this game does very well (from a business perspective) is encouraging the mentality of "Gotta buy one more ship". I sat down and started theory-crafting some 100pt teams to field and kept wishing that I had a 2nd Y-wing, or a 4th X-Wing (thought it might be fun to run X-Wings like they're TIEs as a gimmick. Rookie Pilots all around). I'm hoping once the 2nd (and future) waves of ships come out, It'll be easier to build an awesome squad without needing lots of duplicate ships.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

You work there, so you can be one of a few people. WHOOOOO I'm part of the warmachine crowd, but I was there the day that photo was taken.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Have any of you guys tried painting your ships? If I have time I might try priming them and painting them wraith/rogue squadron colors or give a couple TIEs some hawkbat graffiti.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Ran a demo night at the local game store tonight.

No one showed up.

:toot:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got my Plano case today. Holds everything alright, but I'm a bit concerned about putting more ships in it. I'll probably have to get a bit more creative (maybe some foam bits like a previous poster suggested) to fit more ships in the way I'd like them.

That said, now that everything is in a nice, easy to carry case, I can take X-Wing on the go.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

jivjov posted:

Got my Plano case today. Holds everything alright, but I'm a bit concerned about putting more ships in it. I'll probably have to get a bit more creative (maybe some foam bits like a previous poster suggested) to fit more ships in the way I'd like them.

That said, now that everything is in a nice, easy to carry case, I can take X-Wing on the go.

I got two generic bead holders that have adjustable slots. They are enough to hold two starters and all the current expansions and plenty more. The rules book on the top makes it tight enough to hold everything down so it doesn't slide around.

This way I can just hand a faction to someone and it has all the cards, tokens, ships, dials, dice, movement thingies, etc that they need to play.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

If you aren't opposed to giving your money to a scumbag, Battlefoam is now making x-wing foam.
The loadout doesn't make sense though.
http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Star-Wars-Game-Foam-Kit.html

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
Is the TIE fighter expansion worth getting? I have the base set along with an extra X-Wing, Y-Wing and TIE Advanced. I'm thinking of getting a new base set, or two single TIEs.

Do the TIEs add any new cards, or would the base set be better?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alberta Cross posted:

Is the TIE fighter expansion worth getting? I have the base set along with an extra X-Wing, Y-Wing and TIE Advanced. I'm thinking of getting a new base set, or two single TIEs.

Do the TIEs add any new cards, or would the base set be better?

Its worth snagging an Expansion TIE because it does come with some unique cards including some more named pilots.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Manifest posted:

If you aren't opposed to giving your money to a scumbag, Battlefoam is now making x-wing foam.
The loadout doesn't make sense though.
http://us.battlefoam.com/products/Star-Wars-Game-Foam-Kit.html

It's only a matter of time before Figures In Comfort and KR Multicase make some foams seeing as they both have a Wings of War selection.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I now have 2 Y-wings, 3 x-wings, 5 TIEs, and a TIE advanced. God drat I forgot how much I'm a sucker for star wars toys. :negative:

How are you guys playing the Dutch Vander ability? Do you immediately grant a target lock regardless of the other ship having spent one?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fox of Stone posted:

I now have 2 Y-wings, 3 x-wings, 5 TIEs, and a TIE advanced. God drat I forgot how much I'm a sucker for star wars toys. :negative:

How are you guys playing the Dutch Vander ability? Do you immediately grant a target lock regardless of the other ship having spent one?

Don't feel too bad, you only have one more ship than I do (and I plan on getting a second Y-Wing before too much longer)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
uuuuugh this game is going to destroy me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Fox of Stone posted:

We played it exactly as read on the card- ie you immediately give a target lock to your ally within 1 to 2. He can choose to lock any ship in range of him, and if he already has a target lock he may use the ability to switch lock to another different target if he wants.

Theres an argument that you should grant them a lock on the ship that Vander has a lock on, but we went with doing it exactly as read.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serotonin posted:

We played it exactly as read on the card- ie you immediately give a target lock to your ally within 1 to 2. He can choose to lock any ship in range of him, and if he already has a target lock he may use the ability to switch lock to another different target if he wants.

Theres an argument that you should grant them a lock on the ship that Vander has a lock on, but we went with doing it exactly as read.

Sounds decent and is how I've been playing with him too. He's too much of a point sink otherwise if all he does is save an action step for one of your other ships. I just hope the y-wing retains its little usefulness later since the b-wing is THE support ship of the Rebellion.

On that note, I also hope the presence of medium-sized slower ships give more meaningful roles to rebel ships which tend to be fighter-bombers or bombers. As it stands, imps get the advantage in pure spamming starfighter superiority - moreso with interceptors. Proton torpedoes seem to be worthless due to the current opportunity cost of using up an action for target locks instead of, say, r2-f2, focus, or expert handling. Eating up valuable points if you want anything more than basic rookies is huge too. I still haven't made up my mind about expert handling for rebs but it seems the best upgrades are those that augment skills or don't require taking up the valuable action slot.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 12, 2012

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What does the droid do in the X Wing expansion pack? Not the little red guy, the other one?

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 15, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really starting to feel that the imperials are overpowered, or at least the point balance is off...just played a 100pt game, my buddy was able to field 4 TIEs and a TIE advanced, every single one of them named pilots, I was only able to field 2 xwings and 1 Ywing, with only a single named pilot.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

jivjov posted:

I'm really starting to feel that the imperials are overpowered, or at least the point balance is off...just played a 100pt game, my buddy was able to field 4 TIEs and a TIE advanced, every single one of them named pilots, I was only able to field 2 xwings and 1 Ywing, with only a single named pilot.

Which is pretty true to the lore. The Empire fields a bunch of cheap poo poo, the Rebels have less but better ships.

E: See United States v. Soviet Union during the Cold War.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Colonial Air Force posted:

Which is pretty true to the lore. The Empire fields a bunch of cheap poo poo, the Rebels have less but better ships.

E: See United States v. Soviet Union during the Cold War.

Yeah but it wasn't cheap poo poo. He was able to field all named pilots, not a bunch of cheap Black Squadron pilots or something.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Game owns. Played the quick start rules against my fiance and she actually quite enjoyed it - surprised the hell out of me as she isn't generally into miniatures/tactics games and was just playing to humour me.

Then got a chance to play the full rules with the starter set guys and rapidly learnt just how costly making a badly judged turn in a TIE Fighter can be.

Completely misjudged how my opponent would move turning what should have been a beautiful 180 degree turn to bring him into my firing arc leaving me instead sitting in range 1 of his firing arc with my back to him.

On the strength of the games I played against him I immediately went out today and bought another X-Wing and TIE Fighter. Would have gotten the Y-Wing/Advanced but they weren't in stock - seems to be doing well in all my game stores which is promising.

Excited to see where they take the game. Hoping after the Interceptor/A-Wing/Falcon/Slave I etc that we get B-Wings/TIE Bombers.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
How old do you think a child needs to be in order to play this game? It seems very simple from reading the OP. I'd like to try it with my son. He's 8, and Small World is perfect for him in difficulty, if that comparison helps.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

jivjov posted:

Yeah but it wasn't cheap poo poo. He was able to field all named pilots, not a bunch of cheap Black Squadron pilots or something.

You have to play with a bunch of asteroids or the overwhelming amount of focus fire the imperials can put out with basically no effort breaks the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

You have to play with a bunch of asteroids or the overwhelming amount of focus fire the imperials can put out with basically no effort breaks the game.

Alrighty, obstacles next time it is, then.

• Locked thread